Mulled Beer and Hot Beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by tkdchampxi, Apr 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tkdchampxi

tkdchampxi Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2010 New Jersey

Perhaps this should be a winter thread, but I was wondering about beers being served hot and came across this interesting "How to Make Mulled Beer" -
    http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Mulled-Beer

Thoughts? Would you try it?

Additionally, these past threads mention Unibroue's Quelque Chose and BFM La Dragonne. Unibroue specifically mentions on their website that Quelque Chose should be served between 122 to 158°F.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/hot-beer-only-from-dfh.36814/
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/hot-beer.2874/

I'd really like to track down a bottle and try it.

2. marleyr

marleyr Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2014 South Carolina

We have BFM La Dragonne at our local (Charleston) Total Wine. $20 for 750mL.

Switzerland- Herbed/Spiced Beer- 7.5% ABV. "This ale is intended to be served hot (120F). At temperature there is no head or carbonation, but the beer exudes intense flavors of wintery spices and honey. On your palate you'll sense a mixture of mildness and spicery with a dry finish." I'd like to try it, but not to buy it nor trade for it.

3. Aaron58

Aaron58 Initiate (184) Dec 16, 2007 Massachusetts

Interesting. Can't say that it appeals to me, but I have had and enjoyed mulled wine, so why not?

4. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (10,174) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

I tried the Quelque Chose both warm and chilled (as per the Unibroue website) - interesting is the best way to describe it. I preferred the chilled.

sharpski likes this.
  5. LMT

LMT Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2009 Virginia

Umm...yuck.

FarmerTed likes this.
  6. SpartyJoe

SpartyJoe Initiate (0) Nov 30, 2013 Colorado

A few months ago, GLBC was mulling their Christmas Ale. They spiced it and then heated it up using a hot poker from a fire. It was pretty tasty.

7. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,988) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Southern Tier's 2XMas is based on a spiced wine served hot (glogg)- I could see that working warmed up as well.

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  8. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (8,305) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

Dogfish Head HOT THOUP!!!! Although I had it served cold, and of course with a carrot stick, but it was to be served hot.

I could see it coming off as a hot cider/beer hybrid.. but not a mule beer.

and no I am not making this up...

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/64/85173/

9. herrburgess

herrburgess Meyvn (1,159) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina

Old-timers in Bavaria who have stomach problems get their beer warmed up using a little metal coil device. You'd think that having stomach problems would be a good reason to lay off the beer altogether...but not in Bavaria.

[​IMG]

10. SaCkErZ9

SaCkErZ9 Poo-Bah (2,620) Feb 27, 2005 South Carolina
    Society Trader

The only person I have "seen" drinking mulled beverages is Martha Stewart. Its a good thing.

rather and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  11. HighWine

HighWine Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2010 Illinois

I tried a recipe once for a warm mulled beer using Moose Drool. It wasn't bad.

12. Ohiovania

Ohiovania Crusader (789) Aug 13, 2008 Ohio

I had wassail at Kuhnhenn's winter solstice party this past Dec. It's a mulled blend of beer (Kuhnhenn 4D), mead, fruits and spices, served warm

It was pretty stellar.

13. HookerBrews

HookerBrews Initiate (0) Sep 24, 2013 Oregon

When I was in Krakow, Poland, I came across a bar serving hot beer. Surprisingly, I thought it was pretty good, especially on a cold day. I think the beer was mulled with some spice and had triple sec added to it. I'd drink it again.

14. TheeWalrusHunter

TheeWalrusHunter Initiate (194) Aug 23, 2013 Oregon

Cascade makes a Glueh Kriek (Sp?) every winter. Its a mulled sour with spices and deliciousness. Its one of the best things i have ever drank.

kerry4porters and anteater like this.
  15. anteater

anteater Champion (813) Sep 10, 2012 Oregon

I second that. I was skeptical at first but my girlfriend ended up ordering it and it was one of our favorite beers of the night!

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2391/65169/?show_ratings=Y

16. brother_rebus

brother_rebus Meyvn (1,024) Jul 28, 2014 Maine
    Trader

Anyone ever try heating up a barleywine?
    I am contemplating heating a bottle of Double or Nothin from lawsons/Otter creek.

17. Lurchus

Lurchus Initiate (191) Jan 19, 2014 Germany

I make "mulled beer" myself often in the cold time of year: Dark Doppelbock or Weizenbock like Aventinus, spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, sometimes brown sugar or agave juice and heat this up. Works amazingly well and is damn tasty.

Hot beer is also considered traditional in poland. They also use stronger beer, add honey and spices to it and heat it up. I think its called grzane piwo.

I like the concept a lot. When you have Bocks for instance that seem too alcoholic when consumed normally, they taste very good this way.. And since a lot of strong polish lagers seem too alcoholic and unballanced to me, I can see why they kind of invented this practice there:wink:

Then there are several breweries that sell mulled beer directly. Like at the christmas market in bayreuth, I tasted something called "Glühweisse" a long time ago- did not really like it though, since it was too sweet and artificial for my taste. And tasted like an average-strength base beer was involved. For me, hot beer should be strong:wink:
    Oh and "Glühkriek" is also a thing off course, but it is usually made with sweetened Kriek and is not really my thing, aigan to sweet for the strength..
    So you see there is a whole range of beers served hot. I personally feel, that the self made ones are usually better than commercially aviable ones, though I had some decent examples served to me in Poland.

#17 Lurchus, Sep 26, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  18. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,393) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

The description of that beer sounds incredible - I'd think it would be as strong a candidate as any. I think giving a Third Coast the heat treatment would be interesting.

This thread has me thinking about warming up a Samichlaus Classic. It already has a brandy-ish thing happening when at room temperature, so maybe getting some of the alcohol to boil off would uncover additional depth.

brother_rebus and dcotom like this.
  19. RockAZ

RockAZ Disciple (341) Jan 6, 2009 Arizona

brother_rebus likes this.
  20. brother_rebus

Trader

I think this weekend is the mulled Double or Nothin. Will report back.

21. CheapHysterics

CheapHysterics Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2009 Pennsylvania

used one of those in college to make tea and ramen in my dorm room. Somehow the thought of putting it into beer never occurred to me.

Curious... how does heating beer help with their stomachs? Is it the carbonation that bothers them and this makes the beer flat?

22. herrburgess

Yes, they believe that both removing the carbonation and making it warm makes it easier on the stomach. Germans don't like super cold drinks in general. When my German in-laws come to the States they will let the ice in their drinks melt before they take even one sip. Weirdos... :wink:

23. dbrauneis

Moderator Society Trader

Actually most of the rest of the world does not like their beverages ice cold like Americans - it is not just the Germans.

I thought the rationale for avoiding ice cold beverages when you have stomach issues had to due with the fact that they caused the blood vessels in the stomach to contract resulting in a greater amount of acid being released during digestion.

deleted_user_1111368 likes this.
  24. herrburgess

That is what they claim, yes. They always have a very rational explanation for their weird behaviors :wink:

papposilenus likes this.
  25. dbrauneis

Moderator Society Trader

That is also something that is claimed/true for a lot of Eastern Medicine (like traditional Chinese medicine).

26. deleted_user_1111368

deleted_user_1111368 Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2016 Delaware

It took me an hour to drink a Prairie Bomb. The difference in taste from the removal of the cap, to the final drink, was night and day for me. So many flavors came out as it warmed, I was truly caught off guard. That might be worthy of a test mull, without all the added spices.

hhmmmm ....

brother_rebus likes this.
  27. brother_rebus

Trader

I dont likethat xmas bomb or whatever it is. But couldimagine it being tasty when mulle.

28. brother_rebus

Trader

Oh boy. I heated up that Double or Nothin. It was fucking awful. It was basically a burnt rotted log. Just absolutely terrible. Thinking it may have been due to the oak aging? Idk. Never again.

29. FandHbrewing

FandHbrewing Initiate (0) May 18, 2016 Colorado

Don't know if anyone listens to the Sour Hour but Jay and Scott have been talking about it for a few shows now. Sounds like more of a Euro thing but last show with Cascade they said they do this with a sour every year. Sounded like it sells pretty fast and is pretty well received. Since all the above mentioned beers are not sour figured I would throw that out there. If anyone is near the Cascade brewing and can chime in that would be great. Definitely would try it at least once.

30. Johnct

Johnct Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2014 New York

Based on the comments it seems like stronger sweeter bockbier is the best candidate for this sort of thing. Gonna pick up some Samichlaus this week and try it warm, then maybe try a more traditional recipe and compare the results. Also thinking about Aecht Schlenkerla Eiche but maybe that would be too weird...

31. Bryan12345

Bryan12345 Zealot (523) Mar 17, 2016 Texas

Sounds interesting. I’ll try anything once. :slight_smile:

32. machalel

machalel Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2012 Australia

Tried it with a few beers, and at best it was "ok but would prefer cold"

33. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

It's called soup, pass. LOL

No hot beer for me, room temp and cold.

34. deleted_user_1074484

deleted_user_1074484 Initiate (12) Nov 28, 2015
    Deactivated

35. rather

rather Initiate (0) May 31, 2013 California

Thanks for the link, it's been getting colder in socal so sounds perfect for an evening libation

36. ManforallSaisons

ManforallSaisons Devotee (425) Mar 20, 2008 Belgium

I tried to spice and warm up a quad last year, I can't find my notes, but it was throw-the-glass-out-the-window bad. I may (or not) try again, but with 3-4 times the spice that seems supportable. Maybe a shot of booze for backbone. For both of us (me and it).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.