Music & Beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by beerded_drunk, Nov 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeviousSpirits

DeviousSpirits Initiate (81) Mar 23, 2009 Michigan

About to dig into the first BA Narwhal of the year. Waiting next to the turntable to enjoy while enjoying my beer are:
    and

2. PJ_

PJ_ Initiate (165) Nov 13, 2014 North Carolina
    Trader

This one pairs itself. Voodoo's Good Vibes with Rebelution's Good Vibes

[​IMG]

Phishhead420 likes this.
  3. HammsMeASAP

HammsMeASAP Initiate (130) Jun 14, 2012 Minnesota

If you can't drink beer, sitting in a lawn chair in the garage listening to 70/80's rock. I want nothing to do with you.

4. WhoKnew23

WhoKnew23 Initiate (119) Oct 20, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

Keith Murray is one of the best man!

One of the most underrated of all time.

keithmurray likes this.
  5. SirBottlecap

SirBottlecap Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2013 California

What is EDM? Tell me it's not Eagles of Death Metal, because they = awesomeness and go well with poundable stuff, like a pale ale or a hoppy pilsner. (By the way, they have nothing to do with metal of any kind, in case y'all didn't know!)

6. scbeerman

scbeerman Aspirant (294) Feb 16, 2015 South Carolina

Here's a few:
    Kentucky Common ales and Sturgill Simpson
    Barrel aged COAST Blackbeerd and "Tennessee Whiskey" / Chris Stapleton
    Wicked Weed Pernicious and Dark Side of the Moon (the whole thing)
    Busch Light and "I Think I'll Just Stay Here and Drink" / Merle Haggard

7. AugustusRex

AugustusRex Disciple (336) Apr 12, 2013 Canada

I usually listen to Three Beat Slide while drinking Shock Top.

8. Wiffler27

Wiffler27 Meyvn (1,313) Aug 16, 2009 New Jersey
    Society

no i actually like the Eagles of Death Metal, and The Eagles!
    EDM as in Electronic Dance Music, like dubstep and rave music. it's just not my thing. i appreciate many different styles, i play guitar as well. from delta blues to alt to everything in between i enjoy.

SirBottlecap likes this.
  9. JackRWatkins

JackRWatkins Defender (675) Nov 3, 2014 Alabama

yob's clearing the path to ascend and any (good) strong belgian, or dopesmoker and any (good) DIPA

10. JackRWatkins

JackRWatkins Defender (675) Nov 3, 2014 Alabama

also, and I know this sounds unhealthy, and I don't do it often, but being positively shitfaced with dopesmoker by sleep or wrekmeister harmonies or yob can be a transcendent experience

11. SirBottlecap

SirBottlecap Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2013 California

I'm right there with ya'. I'm the biggest rock 'n' roll fan ever, but I just found out about old, old country - beer drinkin' music if there ever was! Your folks did you right, by the way!

12. Rootscipio

Rootscipio Savant (997) Jun 13, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Couldn't resist posting the same beer n pic with the same music pairing 4 different ways in one day

[​IMG]

13. AWA

AWA Disciple (326) Jul 22, 2014 California

Hell yeah it is.

Uniobrew31 likes this.
  14. vickersspitfire

vickersspitfire Crusader (775) Dec 11, 2006 Texas

DFH 90Minute IPA and...

horsehockey and BeerNDoggerel like this.
  15. ThisWangsChung

ThisWangsChung Poo-Bah (3,146) Oct 15, 2011 Maryland
    Society

Totally agreed! If you don't crave one of these while listening to this:

...you're doing it wrong.

16. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Aspirant (224) Apr 23, 2007 Minnesota

17. OldManMetal

OldManMetal Devotee (487) Jun 5, 2015 North Carolina

Like others have said, I don't really pair music and beer so much as listen to great music while drinking great beer. :slight_smile:

That said, there are a few choices in music progression that I will claim to be "great beer-drinking music" simply because every time I listen to 'em while drinking, I end up getting really drunk.

1. Old Van Halen: s/t through Diver Down, any order. Play 2 or more of these great albums back to back, and the slide into drunkenness is irreversible. Probably operant conditioning from a youth spent getting fucked up to Van Halen.

2. Corrosion of Conformity: Blind, Deliverance, Wiseblood. Will put me on a Southern metal skid that generally leads to Down - NOLA then a bunch of Crowbar. Always hurts the next day, to the point that I will not listen to COC or Down - NOLA when drinking unless I'm willing to go whole hog.

3. The Essential Lynyrd Skynyrd: Amazing compilation, usually ends in whiskey. This is one dangerous 2 CD set.

semibaked likes this.
  18. Jackofallbrews

Jackofallbrews Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2013 Minnesota

Some friends had me over last night for a tasting of all the Bell's Planet Series beers--while we listened to the Holst Planets symphony! Very cool tasting event.

vickersspitfire likes this.
  19. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,834) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society Trader

70s/80s metal or newer progressive metal with everything

beerluvr likes this.
  20. craft_is_king

craft_is_king Aspirant (264) Jul 24, 2014 California
    Trader

Even though Guinness is in the title, i think it work with any Irish Red ale, Red Trolley from Karl Strauss, kinda nostalgic getting into craft beer.

AngryDutchman and Blinkyoureyes like this.
  21. Caveworm

Caveworm Savant (919) Feb 26, 2014 Ohio

Refer to 98% of my "What Beer Are You Drinking Right Now?" posts. At 1st I was just putting up songs, but for the past 6-8 months I've made more of an effort to post full albums or EP's that I jam out to whilst imbibing. Its also really cool to see other "extreme' band/artist links from other BA's.

22. Can_if_you_can

Can_if_you_can Crusader (793) Mar 15, 2012 Minnesota

THIS IS THE MOST AMAZING BEER QUESTION OF ALLL TIME!!!!!!!!!! I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHERE TO START!!! all music goes well with all beer but FIRE is definitely the third factor in the holy trinity!!! MUSIC, FIRE, BEER!!!! BEER, FIRE, MUSIC!!!!

23. Can_if_you_can

Can_if_you_can Crusader (793) Mar 15, 2012 Minnesota

Short answer to this unbelievably beautiful conundrum; beer and music are BOTH ALL ABOUT THE MOOD!! I mean I'm "beerlover" but maybe my name should be "musiclover" because I'm not always in the mood to drink beer or even drink period, but I am ALWAYS in the mood for listening to music, in fact my instagram name is "music flows through these viens" Right now I am drinking Six Point's "Resin" double ipa and listening to Mark Mallman's "the tourist" e.p. Mark Mallman is great drinking music even though most of his songs reference wine and occasionally "Night Train" But anyway back to the MOOD!!! I'd say sometimes you feel like drinking your favorite stout and listening to Flogging Molly or sometimes you feel like drinking your favorite sour and listening to some Pink Floyd or perhaps a good ipa and some Clash or Rancid.... those last two are two of my all time favorite bands!! Read my bio here on Beer Advocate as well and you will see I'm much more of a music lover than a beer lover, but I LOVE beer as well!!

creepinjeeper likes this.
  24. _Big_Cat_Beer

_Big_Cat_Beer Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2015 Massachusetts

Here's a beer & music podcast, that my friends do, for your listening/drinking pleasure! They each choose different songs to pair with a song, and explain their choices based on taste, feeling, and lyrics. tastingnotespod dot com

25. WildDalby18

WildDalby18 Initiate (82) Dec 13, 2014 Colorado

TG pseudoSue / Phil Collins "Sussudio"
    JK Petit Prince / Prince "When Doves Cry"
    Perennial Abraxas / Santana "Black Magic Woman"
    Fremont Kentucky Dark Star / Grateful Dead "Dark Star"
    Cellarmaker Coffee & Cigarettes / Tom Waits "Rain Dogs"
    Cantillon Magnums / Wu-Tang "C.R.E.A.M."

Brother_Love likes this.
  26. KACK1533

KACK1533 Initiate (167) Jan 6, 2016 Massachusetts

What kind of music do you guys like to listen to when tasting (if you listen to music while tasting.) I like to start off with classic rock such as Red Rider and transition over to The Psychedelic Furs.

27. wsd627

wsd627 Initiate (0) Nov 18, 2013 Vermont

Eh Im into everything and I mean everything but my almost nightly ritual is getting off of work around 11pm-1am and sitting in my living room with a beer and an atmospheric black metal record and listening to it all the way through. Good stuff for the winter.

28. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (3,607) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

Old school...The Beatles....

beerluvr and creepinjeeper like this.
  29. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Zealot (550) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

If I am tasting versus drinking, I'll probably want more introspective sounds that allow space to be open than social sounds that are busy.

30. McMatt7

McMatt7 Disciple (348) Jul 30, 2014 Pennsylvania

I like to get drunk and play sad songs on the piano.

31. creepinjeeper

creepinjeeper Defender (661) Nov 8, 2012 Missouri

I, too, am into almost alll genres of music and listen to them when I am enjoying a beer. Especially when I have the house to myself. In the winter, I seem drawn more (but not exclusively) to doom and sludgy metal in the winter months, along with my stouts, barley wines and strong ales. Windhand, Kongh and Morgion are some of my go to's, as well as the classic rock of The Moody Blues, ELO, and more. It will always depend on the feeling of the day. Whatever the style, music and beer almost always go hand in hand.
    Threads like this are great, because it brings a personal aspect to the BA community. You'll get an even better idea of what your fellow BA's are drinking and listening to in the What Beer Are You Drinking Now? (WBAYDN) thread. It's more of a virtual pub, or even a giant living room where everyone brings a beer and a disc or two. (I hope I didn't thread jack here.)
    By the way OP, The Psychedelic Furs, are an excellent band, and their first four albums are in rotation at my house as well.

ONovoMexicano likes this.
  32. mpmcguire11

mpmcguire11 Aspirant (290) Sep 6, 2014 Rhode Island

SiriusXM XMU, Alt Nation, The Spectrum, or Coffee House. Sometimes I feel like putting a State Radio/Chad Stokes album on.

Bissel328 likes this.
  33. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Crusader (783) Dec 12, 2014 Chile

Hard Rock, Progressive Rock, Psychedelic Rock, Metal, Latin American Fusion, Jazz

If I'm with my drinking buddies, definitely METAL

If I'm with my girlfriend, Madonna

34. BongRattlingBass

BongRattlingBass Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2015 Illinois

60's and 70's hard/progressive rock like Free, Mountain, Sabbath, Crimson...etc.

Once in a while its nice to have a beer while listening some to tunes but I much prefer some dank weed to enhance and accompany the musical trip.

35. beerluvr

beerluvr Meyvn (1,221) Jan 2, 2001 Canada

I like to pair up a beer session with music on the headphones and usually accompany it with some choice smoke, my tastes center around 70's progressive rock/progressive metal/70's hard rock and NWOBHM but sometimes I'll dip into my 60's/70's "one hit wonders" playlist. Sometimes full out classic thrash metal if the mood hits. And sometimes I'll go full Zappa.

creepinjeeper and ONovoMexicano like this.
  36. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,938) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico
    Society

Don't find that beer influences me to listening to anything, or any style, specifically. Love listening to music and often do while drinking though.

37. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,363) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

Classic rock / Metal and Sinatra for the most part. Although I have drifted towards blues, alt and trance on occasion. Is that what FC Kahuna is? I really haven't a clue, but "trance" just sounded correct.

38. BeerBobber

BeerBobber Defender (612) Nov 23, 2015 Nevada

Love to listen to some classic country, Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings and the such. My wife was listening to a song on you tube the other night that blew me away, Disturbed doing a cover of The Sounds of Silence. I had to listen to this several times while sipping a cold one. Now that session led to some Five Finger Death Punch also.

39. KCUnited

KCUnited Aspirant (200) Nov 11, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

I listen to any type of fast punk: grindcore, PV, youth crew, crust, d-beat along with some doom and metal; regardless of what beer I'm drinking or setting I'm drinking in.

40. drinkybanjo

drinkybanjo Initiate (127) Sep 4, 2008 New Jersey

I like all music too but as far as drinking beers I find my favorites go best. The Pogues, The Clash, The Jam, Lucero, Tom Waits, Rocket from the Crypt, The Dubliners, etc etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.