Must haves and HOT beers of the past...FLASHBACK!!!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by lackenhauser, Mar 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Troutbeerbum

Troutbeerbum Initiate (0) Dec 5, 2016 Maine

Yes, Focal is better.

2. lackenhauser

lackenhauser Poo-Bah (2,602) Dec 10, 2002 Maryland
    Society Trader

Visited the old Redhook pub in Seattle in 1990. The Trolleyman was it called? Had the ESB on cask and fresh Ballard Bitter and Blackhook porter. Cant remember the last time I had a Redhook product.

dgmirelli and spicoli00 like this.
  3. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

If it ain't hazy it ain't hyped.
    I will take a pliny or a pig over 95% of the NE haze.

TrojanRB, ypsifly, tzieser and 8 others like this.
  4. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (526) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

Someone brought me a <1 week old Pliny recently.

Perfection

5. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

Focal>Sip
    Heady>Sip
    Focal v. Heady. Too close to call. I usually vote for whichever one I had last.

6. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (3,185) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

At the time it was Westy 12, Pliny,
    Time and patience allowed me to thankfully experienced both,
    Cheers

7. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Poo-Bah (1,848) Oct 17, 2012 Texas
    Society Trader

Live oak Hefeweizen is fantastic!

Lucular, JackHorzempa and Wasatch like this.
  8. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (7,354) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

Definitely at the time I had it.

Cheers!

9. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,994) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Pretty much all of these beers are still fantastic. This issue is not really about the quality of the beer itself, but about the "madness of crowds".

10. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Damn , I gave someone a Westy as an xtra once, can't remember who though.

RBassSFHOPit2ME and Wasatch like this.
  11. nc41

Society Trader

Damn that sounds good, I would take a case of that if I could get it. As would thousands here, I suppose. Still a magnificent beer.

surfcaster likes this.
  12. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Poo-Bah (4,535) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Society Trader

I have to echo some of the comments on this thread, I remember getting a Westy 12 as a surprise in one of the early BIFs that I did and being so excited.
    Dark Lord was also an amazing bottle to obtain and I remember, getting a bottle of Cuvee de Tomme in 2005 from a certain BA that isnt active anymore and being blown away that I had said bottle in my possesion.
    Also Storm King Stout was a great find on the shelves every winter.

Really nice threadstarter!

Wasatch likes this.
  13. hopsputin

hopsputin Poo-Bah (2,736) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey
    Society

Cool topic!

For me it was:
    Pliny the Elder
    Mother of All Storms
    Kate the Great
    Zombie Dust
    Nugget Nectar
    Abyss
    Westy 12
    Utopias
    Adam

Off that list, I've been lucky enough to have:
    Pliny the Elder
    Nugget Nectar
    Abyss
    Adam

Its been a fun journey and I'm looking forward to more.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  14. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,078) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Reading all these responses just reminds me I STILL want to land adark lord.

Wasatch likes this.
  15. deleted_user_1007501

deleted_user_1007501 Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2015

I really resonate with this. FFF is no longer special in Ohio as well. Yet the first time I had Pliny, it was about 2-3 weeks old, but it still had intangible and unique qualities. Balance is something most people aren't exactly looking for these days. Beer is getting more robust and experimental. But Pliny will always be like the one sweet, charming girl you meet who says the right things, but not too much; is sweet, but has a powerful presence; eventually she falls through your fingers again, and you'll keep going back to it.

Zombie Dust has always been a decent beer to me. The first time I visited the FFF brewpub, I got a ZD, my sister got Space station. We both tasted each other's, and hers was WAY better than mine..I thought the bartender switched our drinks...alas, he didn't.

Beer is funny. It's all subjective, it will always change. Impermanence rules the universe. I'm a bit drunk and I related to this quote. Haha.

beergoot and PapaGoose03 like this.
  16. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Defender (640) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island
    Trader

My Holy Grail was the Sam Adams Chocolate Bock, in the single 375 or 500ml bottles (can't recall exact size), which I found for around $10 apiece back around 2001-2003 at a small bottle shop. Could never reliably chase this down, and when it went into the winter sampler 12-pack I definitely enjoyed but as always for whatever reason the chase made the beer taste that much better.

JamFuel and Lucular like this.
  17. Scotchboy

Scotchboy Poo-Bah (3,173) Dec 7, 2010 Idaho
    Society Trader

If memory serves me Deschutes has been in the Idaho market for as long as I can remember, and my journey into craft beer love (beginning with fascination over this thing called a barrel-aged stout or porter) began with Black Butte XXI and then The Abyss. Still like those beers a lot and grab one or two when they hit the shelves (although they ARE getting too spendy).

My first trade target was easily KBS. It was the 'whale' that called to me (cave-bourbon barrel-aged chocolate coffee oatmeal stout?!?!), but between awesome traders and cool extras I've drank half a dozen or so over the years and passed others on as extras and gifts. Pliny as well. The more I traded with a few quality guys in the Midwest and on the east coast, the easier it got to tick my big wants (Dark Lord, Darkness, Westy XII, etc). Now, I look back with such fondness at the generosity of others on this website, and the friendships created here. Great memories of an excitement like Christmas morning when I would come home and find an unsolicited box. Tough to explain that kind of giddiness to your wife...

Im not much of a trader any more (three kids, mortgage, too many good locals, etc), but man...what good memories....

SFACRKnight and sulldaddy like this.
  18. nc41

Society Trader

When I first found this site I wanted to try every IPA I could get my hands on. Wants:

Pliny
    Blind Pig
    Furious
    3 Floyds stuff
    PTY
    Older IPAs as Vt beers didn't register yet.

Of all these or those I've wanted I obviously missed on PTY, and some of the newer beers from Vt like Focal Banger, some Trillium beers, Sip of Sunshine etc.

19. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Poo-Bah (1,843) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Society Trader

I just traded for all 3, I did enjoy focal more than heady and thought sip was a step down from the alchemist beers.

SFACRKnight and Troutbeerbum like this.
  20. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

The original unfiltered yeast caked Two Hearted by Bells. That beer, and the fight for it to become a full time release. I miss getting those and rolling the bottles to relax the yeast into solution.

Greenstone likes this.
  21. SCW

SCW Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2004 New York

back in the 90s, Mac & Jack's African Amber. Crushed many a pint on a road trip out West...and saw on tap late last year again! Happy to see its still circulating after 20 years...

crobinso likes this.
  22. papposilenus

papposilenus Poo-Bah (2,063) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire
    Society

It's really hard to be objective about Heady but I think that I do prefer Focal Banger and that's not too surprising because, obviously, Kimmich wasn't going to set out to create something that he didn't at least intend to be better than what he he'd already been brewing.

As for Sip, the thing is, it's different every time. It's always good, the mouthfeel is always sublime, but the taste profile varies wildly. But I've never had a Sip that I've said, well, crap, this is no good, I'm going to throw it away.

Things change. Used to be I'd drive up to Beverage Baron crack of dawn on a Saturday morning for their weekly two 4-pack-each semi-secret release. Now I can walk into Alchemist in Stowe most any time and score a few cases, easy-peasy. On the one hand, it takes some of the fun out of it but, on the other hand, fun sucks.

Urk1127 likes this.
  23. papposilenus

Society

Kate the Great is so much work, I don't even try.

24. papposilenus

Society

We were so cool because we had Redhook at the bar for our wedding reception in 1997!

lackenhauser likes this.
  25. akolb

akolb Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2015 Colorado
    Deactivated

My first "Holy Grail" beer was Bigfoot. Still pick some up every winter. Great beer.

ypsifly and lackenhauser like this.
  26. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,200) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

In 2006 Pliny the Elder was all the rage. You couldn't really find a fruity, citrus-forward IPA anywhere here in the Northeast (I was still living in MA at the time). I remember how a few California-based BAs used brag and say how east-coasters can't make a hoppy beer like they can. Then it all started to shift. Leatherlips IPA. Ithaca Flower Power. Wormtown Be Hoppy.....then the Alchemist started canning Heady and we all know the rest of the story....

My, how times have changed. Now it has been my fellow New Englanders that have been doing all of the bragging of late. Fast forward a couple of years and now fruity NE-IPAs are becoming prevalent all across the country. I still find myself swooning over Harpoon IPA though, despite all of these trendy beers that are out now. Malt is a wonderful thing:grinning:

Wish I was around for Heavyweight. I've heard nothing but good things. The only "old school" NJ microbrewery I've tried is Climax but I haven't seen their products around in years.

meefmoff and zid like this.
  27. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2009 California
    Deactivated

I'd argue becauae it was 10 years ahead of its time 13 or 14 years ago. Brewers have caught up. And while I do find it a perfect example of the style, there are so many great local options now a days.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  28. wingedeel

wingedeel Zealot (541) Nov 17, 2005 Indiana
    Trader

I remember quite a bit more talk about Fantome back in the day.

29. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,515) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Some that I remember looking for, some I never did find:

Horlacher Perfection
    Regal Amber (Wiedemann/Heileman)
    Genesee 12 Horse Ale (original recipe/not the Canadian ale-clone after ~1980)
    Prior Double Dark and Preferred (Light)
    Copenhagen Castle
    20th Century Ale (C. Schmidt's)
    Rainier Ale **
    Utica Club Sparkling Ale*
    Krueger Old Surrey Porter/Ballantine Porter *
    Hudepohl Hofbrau*
    Trommers White Label* (Piels)

* draught only - at least, by the 1960-70s
    ** Hard to find it L.A. when I lived there in the '70s​

jhavs, rgordon and BJC like this.
  30. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,617) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

JK, do you have any idea what is happening with the 'reboot' of Piels Brewing Co,?

It has been almost exactly one year since the below thread was started.

Cheers!

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/piels-beer-coming-back-to-ny.401615/

dennis3951 likes this.
  31. zeff80

zeff80 Poo-Bah (15,205) Feb 6, 2006 Missouri
    Society

Westy 12 was the holy grail for me. Surly Darkness was up there, too.

32. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,515) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Last I heard about the revived Piel's was in an All About Beer article (issue is dated September, but the article and actual publication date was probably much earlier):
    Nothing on their website (I still can't believe they're using that Schaefer/Stroh-era [IIRC] label design :rolling_eyes: -- rather than going back to real Piel Bros. glory days).

JackHorzempa likes this.
  33. spicoli00

spicoli00 Defender (641) Jul 6, 2005 Indiana

Member when Storm King was the top rated beer?

lackenhauser and tzieser like this.
  34. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,200) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Sure, I member! Member Pete's Wicked Ale?

TrojanRB, ChittyChambers and BJB13 like this.
  35. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,284) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

You know, I don't think there was any big hubbub about Young's Oatmeal Stout, but it was a GREAT regular beer that was fairly priced. I can literally still taste that beer. The smoothest most roasty soft deeply dark and dry ale that I have ever loved! I miss it!

zid and TongoRad like this.
  36. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (8,779) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

Still love the Elder, Zombie Dust, and Two-Hearted, but as @invertalon points out, there are plenty of local and regional beers that equal or exceed these OGs.

Here in Colorado Springs, I'd have to cite Red Leg Brewing's recent addition of Guidon as a top-notch IPA, and regionally, Melvin's (from Wyoming) IPAs can go toe-to-toe with many of the "classics". Their 2x4 is exceptional and, for those preferring a fruity/citrus element to things, their Citradamus is amazing.

And part of this may be the brewer's moving about to different breweries. I was talking with an Oskar Blues rep a while back who said that the Melvin's head brewer used to work for them (I can't verify that, but it wouldn't surprise me).

From my perspective, the increased availability of styles that nearly meet to actually surpass many of the legends of yore suits me well. I'm tired of chasing whales and such long ago. I won't pass them up if I chance upon them, but I don't get wrapped around the axle if I miss a release of those beers. There are plenty of diamonds out there that don't get the hype or name recognition, and maybe that's a good thing for those who enjoy quality and availability over suffering through a Quixotic hunt for the supposedly latest and greatest.

37. ivegot3Dvision

ivegot3Dvision Zealot (560) Feb 9, 2015 Oregon
    Trader

I should be heading to Ashland sometime this week, every time I've gone I've seen 2014 Mother of All Storms on the shelf. Let me know if you'd like me to grab you one.

38. hopsputin

hopsputin Poo-Bah (2,736) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey
    Society

Thanks for the offer! I'm good for now :grinning:

VABA likes this.
  39. Giantspace

Giantspace Savant (983) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I have been very disappointed with almost every beer from EBB since they opened. I stopped going there over a year ago. I was only drinking guest beers and the waitstaff was horrible try after try. The food while mostly very good would at times be not good , pizza size was random, each time it was a different size and thickness. I know it's hand made but one day it was good sized and filling and the next thin and quite small. No one there seemed to really care about the guests so they finally lost my money.

I have not been to the place in fairmount.

Enjoy

JackHorzempa likes this.
  40. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,617) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Scott,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on EBB with me. I have never been to EBB.

I have been to Bar Hygge but it has been just one visit. I had a number of 8 ounce glasses of beer and for my palate everyone of those beers was very good to excellent. I had a burger to eat for lunch and that burger was excellent for my palate.

Cheers!

Jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.