Must visit SoCal breweries

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by Qu3st, Jul 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qu3st

Qu3st Savant (1,101) Dec 4, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

Any recommendations for a must-visit (or three) brewery in southern CA? I have three days in there next month and will be mostly in the area of LA/San Diego. Bonus points if they also have incredible food(s).

I love most beer types, but my bud doesn't love IPAs, so maybe not a place only doing great IPA. Sours and Lagers are probably top options, maybe a summer Stout (if such a thing exists).

2. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Grand Pooh-Bah (5,209) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Monkish - LA
    Green Cheek - OC
    Mchilhenney- SD

Leave your friend in Massachusetts if he doesn’t like IPA’s. :grin:

3. Qu3st

Qu3st Savant (1,101) Dec 4, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

All of those places have great-looking beer lists, thanks for the info.

RaulMondesi likes this.
  4. ChazMania

ChazMania Savant (1,004) Jun 13, 2006 California

if driving up or down the 5 SD to LA or otherwise going through Oceanside, Bagby Beer Company in Oceanside has food and all kinds of high quality beer options.

5. annakarina

annakarina Pundit (959) Jul 29, 2016 California

For LA, Homage/Highland Park Brewery. They're on the same block and have a ton of options that aren't IPAs. I'd definitely recommend both above Monkish if you're looking for non-IPAs.

6. Fippy_Darkpaw

Fippy_Darkpaw Zealot (746) Sep 14, 2010 California
    Trader

This would be my main stop in LA as well. With HPB and Homage you'll have the opportunity to try just about every style and they're some of the best in the state. The food is fantastic at HPB if you're looking to grab a bite. If not, there's a million excellent food options within a mile or two of the breweries. Modern Times is also about a 10min drive and they usually have a pretty diverse tap list, their stouts and lagers are my favorite.

If you venture a bit more inland towards Anaheim you can make a day out of visiting The Bruery, Bottle Logic, Modern Times, and Green Cheek. The space at The Bruery Terreux and Modern Times are top tier in California, plenty of seating and just a nice environment all around. I think Bottle Logic expanded their tasting room recently but it's been a minute since I've visited. There's a handful of other breweries in that area but those 4 would be my top priority.

South Bay (where I live) also has a solid beer scene. Monkish makes the best IPAs by a mile so that's a must stop if you want IPAs. Your friend won't be left dry either, lately they've had a handful of other styles (pilsner, seltzers, and belgians) and they're all very tasty. The tasting room fills up pretty quickly though so go early or on a weekday. Smog City and Yorkshire are within a few miles as well and produce some solid beers. Beachwood BBQ is a must if you head towards Long Beach.

I touched on a few above but here's my take on what each brewery does well and the food situation:

Area - Brewery - My Favorites - Food
    • Downtown LA - Highland Park Brewery - Lagers, IPAs, Stouts, and Sours - Kitchen with great food, check out the menu online.
    • Downtown LA - Homage - Sours and Saisons - Food Trucks
    • Downtown LA - Modern Times (Dankenss Dojo) - Pastry Stouts - Kitchen with pretty good food, it's 100% vegan as an FYI
    • OC - Bottle Logic - Pastry Stouts and Pasty Sours - Food Trucks
    • OC - Green Cheek - IPAs and Lagers - Food Trucks (Costa Mesa has a kitchen)
    • OC - The Bruery* - Really everything... Heavy on experimental beers with off the wall flavors. Most are high alcohol, I highly recommend you check out the online menu and order tasters
    • OC - Modern Times Leisuretown - See above - between the two locations I'd recommend this one due to the space, tap list, and coffee house. Leaps and bounds better than the Dojo imo and parking will be much easier.
    • South Bay - Monkish - IPAs - Food Trucks
    • South Bay - Smog City - Solid representation of most styles, nothing mind blowing though - Food Truck
    • South Bay - Yorkshire - Cask Ale (Lagers) - Kitchen with English grub, the fish and chips were pretty good last time I stopped by
    • South Bay - Beachwood BBQ - Huge variety of beers, they make some great west coast IPAs - Full Kitchen with a wide variety of great food

Hope this helps, most breweries have their food truck menu on Instagram and info about their special releases. Reach out if you have any questions and enjoy your trip!

7. AlexM

AlexM Pooh-Bah (1,844) Jun 9, 2011 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I live in OC and these are pretty much the only ones I visit:

Green Cheek - OC (Smashburgers are RIDICULOUS!! - I prefer the Costa Mesa location)
    Bottle Logic - OC
    Pizza Port - OC (amazing pizzas!!)

Monkish - LA
    Homage - LA (Chinatown - incredible sours!!!)
    Highland Park - LA (Chinatown, block away from Homage - solid food)

DucksFan16 and dcgunman like this.
  8. bring

bring Zealot (606) Aug 17, 2005 Greenland
    Trader

Is the pizza different than the SD area Pizza Ports? Last time I had pizza in Carlsbad, it wasn’t very good (and that’s a generous characterization).

9. RaulMondesi

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Had San Clemente’s pizza 2 weeks ago and it was just ok. I personally don’t think good pizza exist in California. It’s ok to bas imho.

Effinwill and ChicagoJ like this.
  10. FrogOut69

FrogOut69 Initiate (0) Sep 24, 2013 California
    Trader

Where? "LA/SD" is 120 miles and literally nowhere near each other.

11. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Grand Pooh-Bah (3,862) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Ya you are asking about an area the size of new jersey. Where are you going to be staying and have you driven in southern California before?

ChicagoJ likes this.
  12. dcgunman

dcgunman Pooh-Bah (2,608) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

We always go to the San Clemente location. Our favorite to go pizza joint. We’ll make the 45 minute drive from HB just for the pizza (and cans). Rance’s is another good pizza place (if you like Chicago style).

RossM likes this.
  13. walterfredo

walterfredo Savant (1,032) Nov 22, 2011 California
    Trader

14. AndresR

AndresR Pundit (808) Jul 19, 2009 California
    Trader

For SD, Alesmith is easily on the most OG spots around! Plus, they are surrounded by other breweries you can stop in to check out quickly.

Also Alesmith has a few great taco shops nearby, so you can pick up a carne asada burrito to bring to Alesmith.

15. artstvn

artstvn Aspirant (248) May 29, 2019 California
    Trader

An incredible list - this is all you need. Kudos to a quality post.

AlmostDeadly777 and ChicagoJ like this.
  16. pdmoore714

pdmoore714 Pundit (880) Dec 26, 2013 California
    Trader

Keep an eye out for Monkish' new location. It will be an easy walk from MT Anaheim.

https://instagram.com/monkishanaheim

17. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Grand Pooh-Bah (4,073) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I concur with @unlikelyspiderperson you really want to map out your driving / travel time if you are trying to hit both LA and SD. I'd say stick with one or the other for a 3 day short trip.

@Fippy_Darkpaw has the most comprehensive post by neighborhood paired with the food options.

Beachwood and AleSmith are my two favorites from Southern California, especially in terms of brewing across many styles, so you're friend will be OK their many great non IPA offerings.

If I were to narrow it down to a few nearby spots per day it would be:

Downtown LA: Homage & Highland Park & eat in Chinatown.

Long Beach: Beachwood BBQ, Green Cheek and Smog City.

Also heard great things about Yorkshire, which I'll hit next trip, may be of interest if you like that style of beer.

San Diego: Alesmith (Miramar), Modern Times (Point Loma) + Non Brewery San Diego Taproom (In Pacific Beach - Great Food and Draft / Bottle Selection)

San Diego Downtown: Pure Project, Resident & Happy Hour @ Non Brewery Queenstown Public House

[​IMG]

#17 ChicagoJ, Jul 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    dvnbtn, dcgunman, AndresR and 2 others like this.
  18. RaulMondesi

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I can without a doubt say that the beer (they have a bunch of cask options too) and the food at Yorkshire Square is amazing.

19. JBogan

JBogan Pooh-Bah (1,837) Jul 15, 2007 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'd highly recommend North Park Beer Co. in San Diego, and Burgeon Beer Company in Carlsbad, about 30 minutes north of San Diego.

20. Streetkid

Streetkid Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2016 California

If you are doing BL/GC/Terreux then Brewery X would be worth stopping by too, cool spot.

LocestLXCX and ChicagoJ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.