My cellar has created an issue in my personal life, let's here some stories

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by gueuzedreg, Apr 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gueuzedreg

gueuzedreg Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2013 Colorado

Nothing is better than sitting down on a Sunday morning with a KBS poured fresh (yes, it is a breakfast stout legally) and looking through your beer cellar. But does this create a rift with your significant other, pet, grandma, etc? I have come to the point where my cellarhq is on my computer 24/7... oops. Any good stories out there?

2. gcamparone

gcamparone Poo-Bah (1,724) Dec 6, 2011 Rhode Island

The anxiety associated with thinking about cracking open one of them beauties.

3. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) Feb 22, 2011 California

I sold my grandma to pay for my cellar.

4. gueuzedreg

Like when your cellar has one bottle across the board, and if you pop any of them, well there is separation anxiety!

5. Hanzo

Hanzo Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

I live in a 950sq. ft. house, I've taken over an entire closet over and have 60% of the refrigerator filled with beer....needless to say the wife is not amused by my beer "hobby".

6. TimoP

TimoP Disciple (362) Oct 19, 2011 Pennsylvania

Had to close the sweatshop in my basement, in order to fit more beer. Sad day all around.

Centennial, Drew26 and gcamparone like this.
  7. ravot

ravot Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2012 Illinois

i don't even live with my GF and she knows when i buy beer. i have a decent amount of space...fuck me. on a side note, the very same GF is picking up a 4 pack of KBS for me. apparently a shop near her job has it and was holding a pack for her. she just told me today. here i am fighting for a bottle. she's not too happy on the price. one of her favorite beers? KBS of course. she'll hang me if i drink it alone. damn if you do, damn if you don't.

kemoarps, JustXBeer and FUNKPhD like this.
  8. deadonhisfeet

deadonhisfeet Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2011 Kentucky

It's not a problem. It's a basement for crying out loud. What the hell else am I going to do down there, play basketball? Open up a shooting range? Buy a dog named `Precious' and mutter ``it rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again''? :grinning:

kemoarps, Rainblows and WassailWilly like this.
  9. Earlycsquid

Earlycsquid Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2013 California

Creating a rift? You know it! The problem is she wants to drink it all!
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/wo...er-of-divorces-blamed-on-womens-drinking.html

Stop trying to drink my beer, womans!

10. beercanman

beercanman Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2012 Ohio

My old lady is as bad as I am. She comes home all the time later than usual with hauls all the time. Were both sick

Rainblows, JustXBeer, FUNKPhD and 2 others like this.
  11. gueuzedreg

WassailWilly likes this.
  12. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2010 Texas

I had a girlfriend that didn't like how much time/money/effort was spent on beer, but she was the one that told me to drink something other than 40oz of OE800 and Buttwiper all the time. She would also buy me things like Rare and King Henry. Truly a sad, sad day when that ended. :slight_frown:

13. Onizilla

Onizilla Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2009 New York

My fiancé hates all beer forever so I felt completely safe in putting the majority of my cellar at her basement since it over ran at my house really. Then we took a trip to VT, She had her first taste of Cantillon and loved it. Now I have to not only try and track down bottles for our wedding (ISO!111:wink:) but make sure she doesn't raid my sours in my stash when I'm not around!

jedwards likes this.
  14. zekeman17

zekeman17 Crusader (723) Feb 14, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Trader

As long as I keep providing for my wife's wine habit, she pretty much leaves my alone about my beer hobby.
    An occasional eye-roll when I carry in beer from a shopping trip, or cart a load out to pack up for a BIF.
    And I had to limit the number of beer related stops on vacations to keep the peace.

gueuzedreg and ravot like this.
  15. ravot

ravot Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2012 Illinois

truly is a sad day when rare and king henry come to end :slight_frown:

16. hooliganlife

hooliganlife Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2007 Missouri

My wife was telling coworkers I had hundreds of dollars in beer in our basement. I said "you are too cute, try thousands"

She laughed, bless her soul

brewbicle, Michigan, KalH and 14 others like this.
  17. leedorham

leedorham Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2006 Washington

Are you obsessed? Judging by the 24/7 comment, you are. If so, it is perfectly normal for your SO to be annoyed. Obsessed people annoy their partners, and that seems like a pretty justified annoyance imho.

18. dckepley

dckepley Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2006 Iowa

I'm having a baby in July and several people have told me that my beer buying habits are going to be changing. As hard as that is to digest, my cellar may be coming in handy. Unfortunately, my woman doesn't fall head-over-heels for imperial stouts and barleywines like I do.

BrockettBrewing likes this.
  19. LambicKing

LambicKing Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2011 Germany

The closet under the stairs, a full size fridge and all-grain kit in the garage (with spillover to boxes on the floor in colder months), a mini-fridge, three shelves in the kitchen fridge all filled with beer. Not to mention homebrew conditioning in the second bathroom and every single trip out of town is somehow related to beer. Yep, despite occasional jabs, my wife is a saint.

archey, JxExM and gueuzedreg like this.
  20. Ravenacht

Ravenacht Aspirant (210) Aug 10, 2012 Florida

I put boxes of beer on the high shelves in the closets and I tend to hog most of our fridge with beer also(wifey gives me the stank eye about that sometimes :wink: ) but if I leave cold LH Milk Stout and NG Raspberry Tart at the front of the beer shelves for her she usually stays quite happy.

Rainblows and JustXBeer like this.
  21. Rutager

Rutager Initiate (0) Oct 18, 2010 Canada (BC)

I know of a guy who's girlfriend broke up with him recently because of his obsession with beer. He's going through a rough time right now. If anyone could help a fellow BA with his lonely beer fund, I'm sure he'd appreciate it...
    http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bnc/hab/3690411114.html

Bluecane, meanmutt and afrokaze like this.
  22. DaftCaskBC

DaftCaskBC Initiate (0) May 7, 2011 Canada (BC)

At least its not wine or scotch...

23. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2012 Michigan

I would think thats the part that would cause a problem for most us

24. WassailWilly

WassailWilly Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2007 New York

Luckily in 2 ways my parents have a full basement
    1- I store some of my excess there , wish I could store it all
    2- I dont live there so no worries about cracking any open

25. will1256

will1256 Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2010 Minnesota

I've been trying to convince my wife that it's promiscuous beer that is the problem and that's why my cellar keeps multiplying. There is some hot Rye-on-Rye action going on down there...

26. papaholmz

papaholmz Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2012 South Carolina

My problem is my inflow of beer is much much higher than my outflow (consumption). I got into craft beer about 6 months ago with a trip to Belgium. I brought enough stuff back with me that I needed a cellar almost immediately. Since then I have acquired more beer per week than I consume; I've had to start storing it in other places as my cellar (chest freezer converted with a dual stage temp control and a heating element) is full. This led to my beer being stored in the china cabinet and on the newly empty shelf on the book case that my wife had just emptied for another purpose. I wouldn't say it's caused any problems yet because my wife is pretty laid back, but I can see the writing on the wall so I told her that after this weeks purchases of KBS, I was done buying/trading beer for a while until I had consumed enough that everything left would fit in the cellar.

gueuzedreg likes this.
  27. gueuzedreg

This is the number one rule of cellaring. Buy more than you can drink. You are doing nothing wrong my friend. And if your wife is cool; all the better. I have told my wife that I had finally completed my cellar; then I found another brewery that I had to have everything of. OCD

28. hooliganlife

hooliganlife Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2007 Missouri

what i usually buy large quantities of are gueuze and lambic. i also buy a LOT of ipa's. since the ipa's fade fast, i drink them first. but i continue buying more, so the gueuze and lambic just build up. now i have too many

29. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) Dec 30, 2011 New York

Rye-on-Rye action doesn't lead to procreation ldo.

30. will1256

will1256 Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2010 Minnesota

Touche. But Big John and Lolita are right next to each other, and that's bound to lead to trouble.

31. 4DAloveofSTOUT

4DAloveofSTOUT Poo-Bah (2,888) Nov 28, 2008 Illinois
    Society Trader

Waaaait a minute...based on your avatar picture I thought you were a girl... by the way... i am guessing that your wife is carey byron of the mythbusters? Its gotta be one way or the other!!!?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.