My Dad Drank...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by anglagard1, Jun 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmgrub

jmgrub Nov 20, 2010 California

Arnold Palmers...like 6 or 7 a day.

2. Prager62

Prager62 May 7, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Fond memories for sure! It helped launch my obsession with collecting pre-Miller Meister Brau artifacts. You might even spot the type of can your dad used to drink from. Cheers to good memories!

spartan1979 and texasdrugaddict like this.
  3. Casey3236

Casey3236 Sep 14, 2012 Pennsylvania

My father drank Ballentine ale. I remember trying it when I was little (I'm 51 now.) Man, that stuff was horrible.

4. Crawfish61

Crawfish61 Feb 1, 2013 Louisiana

In the mid 60's Pop drank Jax, Pearl and Schlitz until it was hard to get. He then switched to Miller Lite for the rest of his life. We lived on a rice farm in Southwest LA mostly in the middle of nowhere. He loved purple martins and built a birdhouse for them. The purple martins would eat mosquitoes of which he had an abundance of. We would barbeque on a Sunday drinking beer together. Yellow bill crows would go into the birdhouse and eat the purple martin eggs or chicks. We would get a .22 rifle and pick off all of the the crowes we could while barbecuing and drinking beer. Pop, my 2 brothers and I would take turns shooting, cooking and getting beer. One of my fondest memories of my early 20's.

goochpunch and kingofhop like this.
  5. wonothesane42

wonothesane42 Jan 22, 2013 New Jersey

As a kid I remember him having the fridge stocked with Yuengling Black & Tan. Now he's more of a wine drinker, but he loved the Alaskan Winter Ale I gave him, and hopefully he will keep enjoying more beers that I bring him. Cheers!

JArena13 likes this.
  6. JArena13

JArena13 Nov 14, 2012 Pennsylvania

[​IMG]
    Pretty much always this when I was young.

wonothesane42 likes this.
  7. 1noa

1noa Mar 24, 2011 Virginia

A lot of Schlitz...

8. DamianX13

DamianX13 Sep 18, 2012 Texas

My dad drank Budweiser, now he drinks Coors Light when in the US and Tecate Light when in Mexico.

9. techster14

techster14 Apr 11, 2006 Wisconsin

Tequila...straight. The apple fell very far from the tree!

10. RBCORCORAN

RBCORCORAN May 18, 2009 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

knickerbocker , Schlitz , carling , gansett , which ever was on sale and he would only by long neck bottles.

11. Grillit

Grillit Nov 18, 2008 Ohio

My Dad, always drank Burger beer. He didn't drink often. He'd have a beer after mowing the lawn or occasionally, in the evening, while we sat on the front porch, listening to a Reds game. When I was young, Burger came in eight packs of 12 oz., stubby bottles. He never bought more than one, eight pack at a time. Man, I miss those days. In his later years, during the holidays, Dad, would "splurge" and have Killian's, on hand. I'd give anything, to have one more beer, with him. So, to all of you Dads out there, Happy Father's Day! Cheers!

apants007 and kingofhop like this.
  12. Steimie

Steimie Jan 7, 2012 Michigan

Bud
    Windsor

13. klaybie

klaybie Nov 15, 2009 Illinois

My dad didn't drink at all until II brought back beer from Germany. Now, after 7 years, we have the same taste. Modus Hoperandi, is one of his favorites along with most IPA's. I enjoy having a beer or two with my dad while we prepare dinner. It's become one of our hobbies and I always look forward to sharing a beer with my dad.

seanchai likes this.
  14. Brodie91

Brodie91 Jul 13, 2012 New York

My dad always drinks grey goose on the rocks or straight up, but in the summer he will have a corona or landshark when we're grabbing some lunch by the water. I've tried my best to introduce him to other beer but nothing has worked...oh well :rolling_eyes:

15. paulys55

paulys55 Aug 2, 2010 Pennsylvania

...iced tea. Don't think my dad has ever drank a drop of alcohol...at least while I was alive. Which is strange because when I was in high school and college I was a drinking fool. Just not his thing I guess. Happy Fathers Day dad, love ya.

16. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Jul 19, 2012 Illinois

before he gave up drinking due to health issues, my dad drank either stoli on the rocks with a twist and a bleu cheese olive, tecate, or miller light, depending on the day. he should be coming over any minute now.

17. blivingston1985

blivingston1985 Jan 7, 2010 North Carolina

Anything. I mean ANYTHING.

18. RichardMNixon

RichardMNixon Jun 24, 2012 Pennsylvania

Rolling Rock and Jameson.

19. Rudy

Rudy May 11, 2012 California

Bud Light. Whenever I go over to his house I make sure to bring some craft and it is always gone the next time I go back. The main comment I get is "it was good." Except for when I left a Stone IRS, he loved that one.

20. lic217

lic217 Aug 10, 2010 Connecticut
    Trader

The same variety of beers I tend to drink. It makes it fun to drink together.

21. MADhombrewer

MADhombrewer Jun 4, 2008 Oregon

Martinis and Bud.

22. aasher

aasher Jan 27, 2010 Indiana
    Society

My dad doesn't drink but my grandfather used to years ago. After he passed away we ended up going through my grandparents stuff and we found some old Grolsch bottles. I had no idea he was a Grolsch guy but I was pleased that he didn't drink any American swill.

23. JamesQuaff

JamesQuaff Jun 30, 2010 California

Pops was mainly a vodka man when I was coming up, when there was beer around it was mostly stubby brown bottles of BMC, the occasional Lowenbrau. Now he's a confirmed Michelob Amber Bock drinker. Dude just pummels that stuff. His local golf course clubhouse even started stocking it just for him.

I brought over some fresh Torpedo at Thanksgiving and there was still some left in the garage fridge last weekend. Also, the Affligem Tripel and Chimay Red I brought over for Christmas were right where I left them. Those are SO getting re-gifted to myself today!

24. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Nov 14, 2010 Arizona
    Society

My Old Man drank PBR and Stroh's. Not even sure if they make Stroh's anymore. Hilarious to see PBR is making a comback.

25. brewtaster

brewtaster Sep 20, 2008 Indiana

[​IMG] Just seeing a picture of this can brings back so many memories of my Dad it is unbelievable. He is the one who gave me my 1st beer and it was one of these.

Geuzedad likes this.
  26. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Nov 14, 2010 Arizona
    Society

Do they still even make it?

27. CaptJackHarkness

CaptJackHarkness Aug 18, 2011 New York

Scotch and water! I got my taste for beer from Mom!

28. BeerLover99

BeerLover99 Dec 13, 2008 Illinois
    Society

My Dad is into hard liquor and occasional wine.
    He enjoys sharing a rare 750ml of something not too hoppy
    with me...father-son moment, but doesn't go past 1 bottle.

29. Seanvino

Seanvino Jan 5, 2009 California

My Dad was primarily a Scotch & Soda drinker but always had some beer on hand for working in the yard or picnics. When I was real young he drank Falstaff but stopped after they closed the San Jose brewery and switched to primarily Olympia with some Miller High Life and Hamms when we went to our family cabin in the Sierra Nevada because that was what his best friend up there drank. Interestingly when his best friend switched to Lite beer my Dad bought it once then refused after trying one because he thought it was crap. He did tell me he drank Carling's Red Cap Ale in college.

30. gueuzedreg

gueuzedreg Jan 18, 2013 Colorado

Great story OP!!!! The timeliness and complexity of your story was very enjoyable to read, and sad; but great. Anyways, my Dad drank St. Pauli Girl

31. mikeincharleston

mikeincharleston May 1, 2009 North Carolina

My dad never drank a lot but I do remember strohs light (in a silver can) being in the fridge a good bit. Luckily he enjoys good beers now. He loves hops and some sours. He loves the gose and Berliner we do at Westbrook. I don't think he's ever had a real sour though. Maybe soon ill get him one

RochesterAaron likes this.
  32. ManforallSaisons

ManforallSaisons Mar 20, 2008 Belgium

Such fond memories of Dad bringing Coor's back home to Boston from west coast business trips when it wasn't available back east. Think of that: Coor's wasn't available nationally in the '70s and there was no light beer. It strikes me as interesting and significant to think that the great innovations in the market were making a national mass market and widening the market by lowest common denominator. Oh, the sacrifices of our forebears...

puboflyons likes this.
  33. mrchrisray

mrchrisray May 14, 2013 Ohio

My dad homebrews about about 8 to 10 batches a year, porters, to wheats, and fruity experiments. He has been doing this for about 5 years and still uses the multiple 5 gallon bucket method. I try to convince him every year to upgrade, especially since he is retiring soon and it could be a great addition to the hobby/craft, but he is an if it ain't broke don't fix it kinda guy. His beer fridge is usually packed with homebrew, Miller Lite, and sometimes Busch....wtf.

jRocco2021 likes this.
  34. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Mar 13, 2010 Wisconsin

Four 8 oz pours of BCBS on tap in under 2 hours. Lol was an interesting night after that.

35. Buster

Buster Mar 21, 2012 Oklahoma

Miller Lite.

36. Juhnny19

Juhnny19 Jan 24, 2013 California

My Dad drank Blatz. We were a Blatz family, Blatz and Ford. Geez. My Granpa was from Sheboygan so he drank Kingsbury. My Dad is easy to please, too easy. But he's still the best.

37. KegKicker

KegKicker Aug 11, 2008 New York

Gibbons at home, Stegmair at my uncles, and Rolling Rock at my grandmothers in NJ. Gotta love those local Pennsylvania brews.

38. LukeH

LukeH May 5, 2013 Minnesota

My dad drank Blatz, Schmidt, or Old Milwaukee when I was a kid. Nowadays he still likes his AAL's, but he drinks a lot of craft beer as well.

39. dmeadows

dmeadows Aug 6, 2002 New York

Wine. Good French wine. The only beer in the house was Stegmeier, which my mother used for cooking.

40. westcoastbeerlvr

westcoastbeerlvr Oct 19, 2010 California
    Society Trader

My dad didn't drink at all. The apple fell far from the tree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.