Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

My First Lager - Dry or Liquid Yeast

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by DeutschesBier, Jun 27, 2013.

1. DeutschesBier

Beer Trader

Sometime over the next two weeks, I'll be doing my first lager. I'm going to do Kai's Edel Hell recipe (Munich Helles), and I was curious as to what kind of yeast you more experienced lager brewers like to use.

I have no problem making a big starter if liquid is clearly better. But if dry yeast is just as good, I figure I may as well just pitch a couple packets of that.

Thoughts?

2. billandsuz

I vote for liquid and I suspect many other lager brewers do as well.

dry lager yeast has come a long way over the years, but it does not match liquid lager yeast imo. good, but not anywhere as good as a dry ale or liquid lager strain (20 years ago this was not even open for discussion btw. no dry lager was worth the $1.75).

a proper lager beer requires careful attention to fermentation and this includes the quality of the yeast. so yes, make a big starter with your choice of liquid culture and pay careful attention to your fermentation temps. then be sure to rack and lager at cold temps for a few weeks or months. if a brewer cant ferment and lager at the right temps with the right yeast, a proper lager is simply not going to happen.
    good luck.

3. inchrisin

I've never heard anything from the dry camp. I'd recommend that if you go liquid yeast you'll want to over pitch slightly.

4. JackHorzempa

I 'vote' liquid yeast.

Cheers!

5. MLucky

Some weeks ago, I started a thread on this topic. I'd say the consensus was strongly in the liquid camp. I've been tempted to try dry yeast for bigger lagers, but haven't done it. For a helles, which should take a relatively small starter for a lager, I'd go liquid for sure.

6. DeutschesBier

Beer Trader

Thanks everyone. Liquid it is!

7. psnydez86

Beer Trader

I did a Helles with WL 830 lager and I did one with 34/70 dry lager. I hear there both the same strain and both came out equally great! That particular dry yeast isn't much cheaper than liquid yeast so I think either way your good.

I haven't heard anything good about all the other dry lager yeasts but 34/70 is awesome!

8. pweis909

I've made 3 lagers with dry yeast and here's what I have to say about them.
    • Smoked schwarzbier made sith W34/70. Scored a 32 in a competition. One judge noted slight fruitiness in flavor, but I didn't. Hard to know if this was a yeast problem, given the complexities of smoked beers. In any event, 32 is not an awful score, and the beer went down nicely, IMO. However...
    • Bohemian pils with W34/70. This was a split batch, comparing liquid and dry yeast. The liquid half used WY 2278. Side by side, 2278 made a better beer because it was cleaner, less fruity. However, I may have said W34/70 made a great beer if I hadn't done a side by side tasting.
    • Classic American pils with S-23. This batch was fruitier than the others. Maybe this yeast would work for biere de garde, California common, or cream ale, in a hydrid style where some noticeable fruitiness can be acceptable? I didn't hate this beer but wouldn't offer it up as a pilsner to anyone who has beer style smarts.
    FWIW, I have made other pils and Oktoberfest styles using liquid yeasts and liked the results.
    TAKEHOME: I think one can tell the difference between liquid and dry lager yeasts, although the differences can be slight. My experience is limited, but I think I prefer liquid; if using dry yeast, I think I prefer W34/70 to S-23.

Eriktheipaman likes this.
  9. pweis909

10. DeutschesBier

Beer Trader

Thanks for the input, everyone! Decisions, decisions...

11. kjyost

If you care the Canadian Homebrewer of the Year last year (and likely this year)is generally in the dry camp... Two packs cost about what the DME & Liquid pack would and you don't have to build up a giant starter.

That said I've only used liquid.

12. JackHorzempa

“Two packs cost about what the DME & Liquid pack”

The place that I buy most of my homebrewing supplies is Northern Brewer:

· Two packs of Saflager W34/70 is 10 bucks (US dollars)

· Wyeast lager yeast is $6.25. I am not sure what 200 grams (or so) of DME cost; a dollar or two?

There is no doubt in my mind (as an US homebrewer) that there is no material cost benefit to use dry yeast over liquid yeast. If you despise making starters then maybe 10 bucks is a good investment for two packs of dry yeast? I personally am not convinced that dry lager yeast is comparable to liquid lager yeast but take that with a grain of salt since I am not a homebrewer of the year (regardless of country).

Cheers!

P.S. The economics of yeast in Canada (dry vs. liquid & DME) could indeed be totally different.

13. DeutschesBier

Beer Trader

Hmmm. It is Canada Day, after all. Do you know which dry yeast he prefers?

14. billandsuz

Lallemand is from Montreal, which still counts as Canada i think. don't forget that they are paying with that funny Canada money too. it's red. there is no direct comparison.

15. kjyost

34/70 IIRC, it's what I have in my freezer. He claims it is quite versatile, having won a range of categories with it.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe