My friend is in San Diego right now

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by GameFreac, Mar 1, 2013.

1. GameFreac

GameFreac Apr 8, 2011 Georgia
    Beer Trader

She's gonna go to Olive Tree Market to get me some beer.

What should I get that I can't get in Georgia? I love IPAs and stouts and sours.

Go go go!

HopHead84 likes this.
  2. besaunders

besaunders Nov 8, 2007 California

3. GameFreac

Beer Trader

Yeah that's where she's going. Forgot to mention that.

4. Johnnyramirez

Johnnyramirez Nov 17, 2012 California

As much Russian River sours and Pliny as she can get, AleSmith IPA and Speedway Stout, Stone Enjoy By 4-1-13. And that's it. Seriously. You won't need anything else.

5. GameFreac

Beer Trader

Was planning on the Russian River and Alesmith IPA.

Is Lost Abbey Red Poppy only in CA or could I find that in GA?

6. GameFreac

Beer Trader

Think she can find any Alpine?

7. tyrsis

tyrsis Mar 13, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Bine and Vine (Normal Heights) just got in Duet and Pure Hoppiness. Hoppy Birthday just went on tap at the brewery for growler fills.

8. GameFreac

Beer Trader

Sweet

I'm not sure where she's staying I just know she's near Ocean Beach

9. Xul

Xul May 18, 2008 California

If she has a car, Bine & Vine is easy from the OB area - 8 East to 805 S, first exit (Adams Ave), two right turns, then a few blocks down Adams. Geoi runs what I believe is the best bottle shop in San Diego (although Olive Tree is damn good in its own right). If she doesn't have a car, B&V will be a bit of a pain to get to...a cab ride would be in the $35 range each way.

Alpine's bottled offerings have been inconsistent lately - some people think they've been fine, some people have sworn them off. They make great beer, but I wouldn't send your friend on a chase for them. Also, let me third or fourth the recommendation for Alesmith Speedway Stout, delicious beer.

Lastly, do you/did you post on the ProgPower forums? I vaguely recognize your name, and between your avatar and location in Georgia, I'm taking a wild guess...

HopHead84 likes this.
  10. GameFreac

Beer Trader

I think she has a car. She posted on facebook that she was on I-215.

Yeah I heard.

The only thing I hate is boozy and roasty/bitter stouts. Is it boozy? Reading the reviews, I've read that a few times.

Yep that's me. I've never actually been to Progpower but I did go to the Helloween/Gamma Ray pre-show a few years ago.

11. sandiego67

sandiego67 Feb 25, 2008 California

She is going to spend $50 in gas and 3 hours of her time driving to San Diego if she is on the I-215 on a Friday night.

12. OTB

OTB Sep 2, 2011 California

Concur, I would be very hesitant to buy bottles from Alpine right now. Now growlers are a different story. Unfortunate, but until they realize they have issues, which they vehemently deny, they cannot move forward and try to correct a massive problem.

Cheers.....

13. GameFreac

Beer Trader

I messaged Olive Tree Market and Bine and Vine and neither have Russian River.

Anyone know any stores that definitely have Russian River?

14. Xul

Xul May 18, 2008 California

Boozy, not particularly. Roasty...it's a coffee stout, so it depends on how you want to interpret that flavor. If you don't like coffee and/or don't like that roast flavor, Speedway may not be for you. To me, the coffee and roast aren't overwhelming and it's very well balanced and integrated beer, but your mileage may vary.

Ah, nice, that was a killer show...now we just need them to come back with Michael Kiske involved and really bring things full circle.

No definite sightings lately (I'm surprised B&V doesn't have any), but give Fuller Liquor a ring - 619-296-KEGS. They're in Point Loma, adjacent to Ocean Beach, and might have some Russian River.

15. ManaKarma

ManaKarma Dec 24, 2012 California

last I checked seaside trader (in OB) had RR sours, Pliny... sometimes $1 more than others

16. GameFreac

Beer Trader

What's the address of that one?

17. ManaKarma

Sorry just saw this. Sea Trader Liquor & Deli... i work next to seaside market in cardiff, typing faster than i can think. Its on 1403 Ebers St. near Sunset Cliffs.

18. nanobrew

nanobrew Dec 31, 2008 California

while yes they probably have it, that store rubs me the wrong way. They do hold onto things a lot longer (usually due to the price) and they have things other stores don't (usually through buying with mules a brewery releases and selling at high markups). FYI, they have LA Framboise de Amorosa for $17 I believe, that isn't bad for that beer. As an alternative in the same area there is Baron's Marketplace.

GameFreac, how long is your friend in town for?

also Sucaba just hit shelves in this area. If it is all gone at OTM, let me know and I can message you another place to check out in the area

19. ManaKarma

I agree. They don't get much business from me, but was just trying to help the OP locate the brews...

nanobrew likes this.
  20. nanobrew

nanobrew Dec 31, 2008 California

I understand, and I recently bought something there to help out a friend who was looking for the beer. They had it and I bought it, unfortunately it was 25% more than what other stores were charging... but it worked out because I got two others (picked up beers for a lot of people) from another place that were 10% less than normal so it all averaged out.

21. GameFreac

Beer Trader

Not sure. She hasn't talked to me in days but I know they're still there because they've been posting pictures.

Yeah Sucaba is my backup plan. Thanks.

I'm trying not to bother them on their vacation and she's not like one of my best friends or anything but I'm gonna text her for an update tonight.

22. GameFreac

Beer Trader

She didn't get me shit and went home.

Sorry for wasting everyone's time.

23. evilc

evilc Jan 27, 2012 California

Don't bring back Alesmith IPA. They don't bottle date and it could be 10 months old.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe