My Third Partigyle Brew Experience: English Barley Wine + Special Bitter

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by koopa, Dec 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. koopa

koopa Poo-Bah (1,825) Apr 20, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Just completed a partigyle brew day (my third so far) and figured I'd post my numbers, as I know it's tricky to predict expected volumes and gravities for partigyle brews. When I partigyle, I like to enter the beer as 2 different recipes in Beersmith 2.2 so I'll give you the main numbers in volumes for each recipe:

1st Runnings Batch: English Barley Wine

40# of grain was mashed

45.7% mash efficiency
    42% brew house efficiency

13.25g of strike water @ 167F = 154F Mash
    7.75g of 1st runnings collected @ 1.089 preboil OG
    Boiled for 90 minutes and collected 5.5g of 1.115 OG wort in the fermenter

2nd Runnings Batch: Special Bitter

31.6% mash efficiency (cap excluded)
    30% brew house efficiency

Batch Sparged that same 40# of grain with 11.25g of sparge water @ 192F = 170F mash out (10 min)
    I collected my runnings really slowly and actually recovered 12g of 2nd runnings
    Two days prior I prepared a "cap" by soaking 2# of specialty malt in 1g of water at room temperature for 36 hours.
    Then on brew day I strained the cap and collected 0.87g of wort
    After adding the 0.87g cap to the 12g of 2nd runnings, I resulted in 12.87g of runnings @ 1.039 preboil OG
    Boiled for 70 minutes and collected 10.75g @ 1.044 post boil OG wort into carboys

Sugar Split

So, excluding the cap, my sugar split when like this:

45.7% of the total sugars extracted in 1st 7.75g (out of 19.75g total runnings)
    31.6% of the total sugars extracted in 2nd 12g (out of 19.75g total runnings)

So that means:
    I extracted 45.7% of the total sugars in the first 39.24% of the total runnings
    I extracted 31.6% of the total sugars in the second 60.76% of the total runnings
    My total sugar (mash) extraction was 77.3% batch sparging with a 20g kettle loaded with 40# of grain
    Not bad considering my normal (non-partigyle) mash extraction is 79% batch sparging with a 15g kettle filled with 20-25# of grain
    16.25g total volume of wort into fermenters
    Set up, partigyle brew session, and clean up took 5 hours and 45 minutes!

inchrisin likes this.
  2. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Initiate (0) May 21, 2010 Texas

Aw, that's nuttin'. I could have easily finished that whole deal in under 14.9 hours. :rolling_eyes:

koopa likes this.
  3. Hanglow

Hanglow Defender (650) Feb 18, 2012 United Kingdom (Scotland)

Nice

Did you consider blending the worts to get more beers, à la Fullers for example?

4. koopa

koopa Poo-Bah (1,825) Apr 20, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I have done that previously and it's a fun way to produce several beers. Since I was shooting for a full keg of really strong barley wine this time though, I didn't really have any extra 1st runnings wort to blend with second runnings wort in order to make a third beer.

5. inchrisin

inchrisin Defender (654) Sep 25, 2008 Indiana

I think this is a great way to explain parti-gyle in a sentence. Most brewers think that you're getting something for nothing when you make two batches of beer out of one mash. #40 is too much for my system and probably wouldn't want to go that heavy on a barleywine. Well done though. :slight_smile:

koopa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.