Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

My Third Partigyle Brew Experience: English Barley Wine + Special Bitter

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by koopa, Dec 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. koopa

koopa Apr 20, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Just completed a partigyle brew day (my third so far) and figured I'd post my numbers, as I know it's tricky to predict expected volumes and gravities for partigyle brews. When I partigyle, I like to enter the beer as 2 different recipes in Beersmith 2.2 so I'll give you the main numbers in volumes for each recipe:

1st Runnings Batch: English Barley Wine

40# of grain was mashed

45.7% mash efficiency
    42% brew house efficiency

13.25g of strike water @ 167F = 154F Mash
    7.75g of 1st runnings collected @ 1.089 preboil OG
    Boiled for 90 minutes and collected 5.5g of 1.115 OG wort in the fermenter

2nd Runnings Batch: Special Bitter

31.6% mash efficiency (cap excluded)
    30% brew house efficiency

Batch Sparged that same 40# of grain with 11.25g of sparge water @ 192F = 170F mash out (10 min)
    I collected my runnings really slowly and actually recovered 12g of 2nd runnings
    Two days prior I prepared a "cap" by soaking 2# of specialty malt in 1g of water at room temperature for 36 hours.
    Then on brew day I strained the cap and collected 0.87g of wort
    After adding the 0.87g cap to the 12g of 2nd runnings, I resulted in 12.87g of runnings @ 1.039 preboil OG
    Boiled for 70 minutes and collected 10.75g @ 1.044 post boil OG wort into carboys

Sugar Split

So, excluding the cap, my sugar split when like this:

45.7% of the total sugars extracted in 1st 7.75g (out of 19.75g total runnings)
    31.6% of the total sugars extracted in 2nd 12g (out of 19.75g total runnings)

So that means:
    I extracted 45.7% of the total sugars in the first 39.24% of the total runnings
    I extracted 31.6% of the total sugars in the second 60.76% of the total runnings
    My total sugar (mash) extraction was 77.3% batch sparging with a 20g kettle loaded with 40# of grain
    Not bad considering my normal (non-partigyle) mash extraction is 79% batch sparging with a 15g kettle filled with 20-25# of grain
    16.25g total volume of wort into fermenters
    Set up, partigyle brew session, and clean up took 5 hours and 45 minutes!

inchrisin likes this.
  2. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior May 21, 2010 Texas

Aw, that's nuttin'. I could have easily finished that whole deal in under 14.9 hours. :rolleyes:

koopa likes this.
  3. Hanglow

Hanglow Feb 18, 2012 United Kingdom (Scotland)

Nice

Did you consider blending the worts to get more beers, à la Fullers for example?

4. koopa

koopa Apr 20, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I have done that previously and it's a fun way to produce several beers. Since I was shooting for a full keg of really strong barley wine this time though, I didn't really have any extra 1st runnings wort to blend with second runnings wort in order to make a third beer.

5. inchrisin

inchrisin Sep 25, 2008 Indiana

I think this is a great way to explain parti-gyle in a sentence. Most brewers think that you're getting something for nothing when you make two batches of beer out of one mash. #40 is too much for my system and probably wouldn't want to go that heavy on a barleywine. Well done though. :)

koopa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe