Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Napa breweries / bars

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by bluetieman, Feb 6, 2013.

1. bluetieman

Beer Trader

On the other half of my SF trip this week, I "have" to spend a day in Napa for my wife...I'm DD and driving a few winos, but at some point need a sip myself...any suggestion, esp. for IPAs, sours, Russian River, etc.

2. WestCoastBrew2

Whole foods in Napa usually has a good selection of RR. Napa Smith is a great small brewery to visit as well - their imperial IPA hopaggedon is now year round and is pretty good. RR is less than an hour drive from Napa, should try to visit during these younger days if you can.

3. GRG1313

Beer Trader

I'm up in Napa every 5 or 6 weeks these days. I generally find that if I really want a good experience and I don't have the time to drive to Russian River while up there, I drive the 30-40 minutes to Healdsburg and go to Bear Republic. Everything there is wonderful and the food is very good. I don't think I've ever had a poorly made or "bad" Bear Republic brew.

4. bluetieman

Beer Trader

We're doing Lagunitas -> RR - BR on Friday, and then south through Napa on Saturday...I guess I can bring a PTE growler...most wineries are cool about that, at least they were when I last lived out there.

5. peter831

Yikes!!! You had better bring another driver:)

6. theconductor

Downtown Joe's in Napa is a nice setting. Their beer is okay, but they carry most of Russian River's sours in bottles. Up the road in St Helena is a great brewery, Silverado Brewing Co.

7. flexabull

Beer Trader

Silverado recently closed :(

I've found good bottles at Dean and Deluca in St. Helena.

8. theconductor

Damn! That place was a great stop.

9. flexabull

Beer Trader

Agreed, I thought they made some pretty solid beers. I always enjoyed stopping there when my palate was getting wine fatigue.

10. rayre

Beer Trader

Billco's, right in downtown on third street has 60 taps. Cool place to grab a beer and play some pool/darts. You can get a mixed 6'er to go for like $8-9 (they will let you go in their walk in fridge and pick out the beers).

In other news I was just the Napa Whole Foods today and saw 0 russian rivers or a spot for them? They changed all the shelving around... maybe I just missed them, but was in a rush and didn't have time to ask?

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe