Nashville - Day Trip in Feb

Discussion in 'South' started by Nhmp105, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Nhmp105

Nhmp105 Initiate (0) Nov 28, 2015 Georgia

While it seems like I can hit up Tennessee Brew Works, Jackalope, Yazoo and more in the Gulch area, I’m planning on heading to East Nashville to first hit up Southern Grist and then Bearded Iris on my way back into the heart of things. The quality of these seem to be a better use of my time. Any recommendations in addition to this? Also any good lunch places in between Southern Grist and Bearded Iris that anyone recommends?

Thanks

2. AmeriCanadian

AmeriCanadian Zealot (514) Jul 5, 2014 Tennessee

I'm a big fan of The Pharmacy in East Nashville. Outstanding burger, sausage, and beer spot, in general. But its location works particularly well as a refueling stop between Southern Grist and Bearded Iris. I've done that threesome a number of times with out-of-town friends and they've never been disappointed.

Buck89, Nhmp105 and mayorQuimby like this.
  3. Nhmp105

Awesome - Thanks

4. imyourhero21

imyourhero21 Devotee (448) Oct 9, 2011 California
    Trader

The only thing about the Pharmacy is the usual hour long wait if the weather is anything decent. What day is OP planning on doing this ?? If weekdays , BI and SGB dont open till 4ish and that would probably mean Pharmacy dinner rush time between the two. Best time to hit Pharmacy is before 5 on weekdays and never on sunny weekends ...

5. AmeriCanadian

AmeriCanadian Zealot (514) Jul 5, 2014 Tennessee

Fair point and good advice. We've managed to avoid busy Pharmacy times, even on good weather days, so haven't had to deal with that issue. But it is a definite issue if you're hitting prime meal times or a pretty day where everyone (and their kids) wants to hang outside in the beergarden.

6. Nhmp105

Thanks - It will be on a Saturday and would imagine I would be arriving at Pharmacy around 1 or 2PM as I plan to get to BI or SGB upon opening at noon.

7. imyourhero21

imyourhero21 Devotee (448) Oct 9, 2011 California
    Trader

Southern grist has food , its not bad at all. Also you can get mitchells deli to deliver or plenty of places uber eats there as well.

threedaggers, secondbase and Nhmp105 like this.
  8. GaToWyo

GaToWyo Aspirant (242) Feb 1, 2013 Tennessee

Pretty sure the bolded is not correct. They have food trucks often, but they themselves don't have food. At least I'm pretty sure of that.

Also OP, depending on the Saturday you come it may be BI or SG's anniversary parties. BI's is Feb 3rd and SG's is Feb 10th.

9. jdhops

jdhops Initiate (103) Dec 30, 2011 Tennessee

Southern Grist has pizza and big pretzels.

Nhmp105 and mayorQuimby like this.
  10. GaToWyo

GaToWyo Aspirant (242) Feb 1, 2013 Tennessee

I'm there nearly every week and never knew this. Oh well, ignore what I said about food at SGB.

Nhmp105 likes this.
  11. mecmd

mecmd Champion (849) Jan 7, 2012 Georgia
    Premium Trader

Bearded Iris, Southern Grist, and The Pharmacy are my favorite places in Nashville. You will not be disappointed. Cheers.

Nhmp105 and VABA like this.
  12. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (1,947) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Premium Trader

Do NOT miss Bearded Iris if you are in town... At least if you are an IPA fan.... Once you step in, you won't walk out until all of your beer money is spent

Nhmp105 likes this.
  13. mayorQuimby

mayorQuimby Devotee (439) Jun 5, 2009 Tennessee
    Premium Trader

To add, the pizza is from 312 in Germantown. It’s quite good.

secondbase and vol4life88 like this.
  14. secondbase

secondbase Initiate (54) Jun 3, 2015 Tennessee

Mitchell's Deli is amazing, just down the road from Southern Grist. Try the BBQ Asian Tofu sandwich.

Nhmp105 and mayorQuimby like this.
  15. Kamikazehops

Kamikazehops Initiate (33) Feb 23, 2018 Texas

This is a good list as ill be in Nashville myself in Sept. What are y'alls (from Texas) thoughts on Blackstone Brewing?

16. threedaggers

threedaggers Crusader (707) Dec 2, 2013 Kentucky

Southern Grist and Bearded Iris for beer, 5 daughters (east nashville) for donuts, crema or barista parlor for coffee, and chauhan ale & masala / hattie b's for food. Pharmacy is solid, but there are way better burgers IMO. Would easily take Mitchell's Deli over it. Patterson house is great for cocktails.

Nhmp105 likes this.
  17. dcgunman

dcgunman Crusader (717) Jul 1, 2009 California

I thought I’d steal this thread since I didn’t want to start a new thread on Nashville. I’ve got a good UK buddy who’s flying to Nashville today. He’s old school (and old too). He loves some good beer. Where can I send him to enjoy some Nashville or Tennessee (local) beers? Maybe a pub with a good tap list. I’m not sure where in Nashville he will be. When I fly over to the UK to meet up with my UK buddies I bring IPAs from SoCal. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.

18. vol4life88

vol4life88 Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2013 Tennessee

For brewery taprooms: Blackstone (solid classic styles), Yazoo (world-class sours), Tennessee Brew Works (everything except sours), New Heights (hidden gem) are my spots right now. Beer traders love Southern Grist (interesting one-offs) and Bearded Iris (hazy IPA's).
    Local tap bars that we like: ML Rose, 51st North Taproom, Craft Brewed, Picnic Tap.

19. swenny916

swenny916 Aspirant (218) Jan 3, 2010 Illinois
    Trader

Hitting Nashville Saturday afternoon, so thanks for this thread. How long do Bearded Iris cans that are released on Friday usually last?

20. jdhops

jdhops Initiate (103) Dec 30, 2011 Tennessee

Most Friday can releases last into the next week, although they're expecting that one of this Friday's releases - an imperial milk stout collab with Weldwerks - will sell out by the end of the weekend.

swenny916 likes this.
  21. swenny916

swenny916 Aspirant (218) Jan 3, 2010 Illinois
    Trader

Thanks!