NBO : SLOPPY SECONDS HINTS/HAULS

Discussion in 'Beer It Forward' started by FFFjunkie, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Houser

Houser Defender (608) Sep 10, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

On the night you were born is an awesome kids book. Im not a weepy guy, but that is one of the few that get me close to tears.

2. RedhawkPoke

RedhawkPoke Aspirant (268) Jan 30, 2017 Oklahoma
    Trader

I have a Mocha Wednesday '16 that stares at me every time I open the pantry to feed my dogs. I have taken it to a few shares but just never opened it. Still don't think I want to chug it either.

3. vabeerguy

vabeerguy Poo-Bah (2,239) Sep 21, 2015 Virginia
    Society Trader

Thanks my friend. Hate to say io my friend, getting too fucked up. Should sign off.

BTW, the brews you semt were great. I hope some day I can repay the favor..

4. Vidblain

Vidblain Meyvn (1,046) Feb 17, 2017 Minnesota
    Society Trader

You're a wiser man than I, Montana! Goddamn peer pressure. Gotta back up your buddies!

5. vabeerguy

Society Trader

Had a nuimber of brews sent folks on this thread. Amazing how these folks know good brew, Sadly, had my fill. Drinking cheap white wine.Do not hate me.

6. Houser

Houser Defender (608) Sep 10, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Ftfy

7. y2kawakami

y2kawakami Initiate (190) Sep 11, 2015 Hawaii
    Trader

I’m try not to be either but I’d do anything for my little girl. I’ll look into that book. Thx
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Glad you enjoyed. Im sure there will be a day where I’ll try those Richmond beers you gush about.

8. r0rschach

r0rschach Initiate (46) Jun 19, 2017 Texas
    Trader

I'm very impressed how dedicated you are to working through that box. And the stuff you say just cracks me up so don't worry about it!

9. brutalfarce

brutalfarce Disciple (328) Mar 23, 2018 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Happy Father's Day to the dads in thread

10. brutalfarce

brutalfarce Disciple (328) Mar 23, 2018 Connecticut
    Society Trader

I will say the couple times I've exchanged with @vabeerguy he gets through them quick wish I did that more efficiently myself

11. AyatollahGold

AyatollahGold Meyvn (1,153) Nov 28, 2016 Indiana
    Trader

Today I am pulling out one that I am very excited about, and one that couldn’t fit the day any better.

From @TheGent , we have

Beer: Lineage Rye
    Brewery: Trillium (Boston, Massachusetts)
    ABV: 6.9%
    [​IMG]
    This beer pours out mostly clear, other than very small sediment floating throughout and forms a little over a finger worth of rocky, bone white bubbles. Crown dissipates rather quickly, leaving only an outer ring attached to the glass and a small island.

The nose carries a plethora of fruit for the prominence. Notes of peaches, apple skins, pears all dance throughout while letting a slight rye spiciness linger throughout.

Vinegar presence is the host of the show, coming out and taking the stage first, before introducing you to the special guest, earthy rye. The band of fruit composed of somewhat funky peaches, tart apple skins and pears sits in the background, careful in their position as accents to the show. They don’t overpower, but keep a presence throughout as well.

It’s tart, naturally tart. It’s not something that will peel the enamel off of your teeth, and I like that about it. Other than that it keeps a medium body throughout, light enough to be refreshing and without being too filling for what it is.

Overall, it’s a treat. I like how all the layers mix and how nothing remains too constant. Everything leans on each other for support and it doesn’t ever feel like any one aspect is weighing in too heavily.

Thank you for all the beer you have crushed me with Anthony and cheers to this thread alone, with a special cheers to all the fathers in it.

I hope you all have a great day.

12. LloydDobler

LloydDobler Champion (827) Jul 25, 2014 Indiana
    Trader

I would like to echo the sentiments of William. I’m planning on enjoying my first Father’s Day!

Snrubnivek, Franfab, FlintB and 15 others like this.
  13. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,723) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

Happy Father’s Day @LloydDobler and all the other parents!
    No kids myself, but I’ll be sure to drink one in your honor!

Snrubnivek, Franfab, FlintB and 15 others like this.
  14. Joplamp

Joplamp Initiate (140) Apr 24, 2016 Michigan
    Trader

Happy Father’s Day to all the dads! Enjoy the first one @LloydDobler

15. FFFjunkie

FFFjunkie Crusader (711) Aug 26, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

Happy Father’s Day!

Some new, some soon and some have been fathers for what probably feels like forever . Cheers all!

Snrubnivek, Franfab, FlintB and 17 others like this.
  16. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (1,855) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Cheers, Dayton. Happy Father’s Day!

Happy First Father’s Day, Chris! @LloydDobler

And to everyone else!

Snrubnivek, Franfab, FlintB and 16 others like this.
  17. LloydDobler

LloydDobler Champion (827) Jul 25, 2014 Indiana
    Trader

I hope you enjoy your own “day after Father’s Day “:hugging:

18. TheGent

Society Trader

It should be a perfectly fine and normal day. Don’t poke.

19. vabeerguy

Society Trader

I echo your sentiments. Happy Father's Day to all. BTW, I fit into the last category.

20. TheGent

Society Trader

Thanks John! @Buck89

This is well executed and really fun to drink. It’s overcast, muggy, and starting to rain here, so a nice way to brighten things up.

21. JFreres

JFreres Disciple (379) Dec 2, 2014 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

This is the Father's Day card from my kids. They really know me well.
    [​IMG]

22. AyatollahGold

Trader

Sorry to keep going, but I’m opening some good stuff today.

Another one that I find fitting for today, and another one that was sent so generously from @TheGent !

Beer: Moment of Clarity
    Brewery: Tree House
    ABV: 7.7%
    [​IMG]
    This beer pours out pitch black and forms caramel colored bubbles that disappear as quickly as they generate.

The nose carries maple mixing with coffee and chocolate layers; hugely thick sweetness. This is almost like fresh chocolate chip waffles smothered in warm syrup sitting next to your freshly roasted, hot cup of morning coffee.

The taste follows much in the same way. Thick maple syrup and warm, melted chocolate chips mixing with notes of fresh coffee. Really, once again, reminiscent of chocolate chip waffle or pancakes.

Thick mouthfeel, not the thickest body ever or anything but it does coat the mouth with that sweetness. No astringency on the coffee, just smooth. No ABV burn, but I wouldn’t expect that at 7.7%.

Overall, this is a winner of a breakfast stout. But I will say, I’ve had others like it, too. (quick example that comes to mind is the Untitled Art-Chocolate Vanilla Maple) So while good, very good even, Tree House isn’t the only ones that can do it.

Thanks again, Anthony!

23. TheGent

Society Trader

Welcome man! Glad you liked. Don’t apologize. I’ll be posting more here today. Although I just diverted to a non-BIF beer, I’m coming back to one soon!

24. TheGent

Society Trader

My new anti-DB Alchemist sticker has found its new home next some familiar friends.

Thanks @jhavs

25. jhavs

Society Trader

Nice, looking good!

26. RedhawkPoke

Trader

[​IMG]

@bl00 and @Vidblain this is a slushy beer thing. You are not getting this but your food item was next to my drink.

27. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (3,402) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Share date, right? Popping in for a review of something @FlintB sent my way.

[​IMG]

Transient's The Juice is Loose.

Pours an opaque and murky orange with a finger of white foam that catches the light beautifully. Head retention is low. Aroma is dripping with tropical fruit notes - tangerine, papaya, mango, guava, and honey dew. Bitterness be gone, this one is all sugary citrus - although it doesn't come off too sweet. Flavor profile is tangerine, mango, honeydew, lemon zest, orange zest, papaya, and mandarin orange. It's a tropical fruit bouquet that comes off lightly sweet, refraining from blasting the tongue into slivers by sugar. There is a little yeast zestiness just beyond the hops, but overall - it's tropical fruit. Mouth feel features a lightly pulpy, graininess with a softening texture towards the back that 'stills' out on the tongue. It has a medium-thick consistency which ups the experience leave a touch. Overall, tropical fruits with little else make it abundantly clear that the juice is loose in this one.

Score: 4.25 | 4.5 | 4.25 | 4.25 | 4.5 | BA Score: 4.31 | rDev: -0.9%

Thanks for the chance to try this! Also, I still have a few boxes I haven't gotten around to sending out.

28. bl00

bl00 Devotee (401) May 13, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

That looks awesome! What flavor was it?

29. TheGent

Society Trader

@jhavs Thank you for this delicious beer

4.32/5 rDev -6.5%
    look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall 4.25

By way of background I’ve never had a fruited beer from Hill Farmstead beer, and I’ve never had the base beer, Florence.

Look: The first thing I notice is the beautiful color of this beer. It’s pours a translucent and slightly hazy appearance. The color matches what is describe as the pale, pinkish orange color on the inside of a plum. If I had to name the color in would say “pink champagne.” Bone white head that settles to a thin layer across the top, a thing ring of bubbles around the edge. One of the prettiest, and most uniquely colored beers I have ever seen.

Smell: Fruity, acidic, funky, all in unison. Peach and plum fruitiness with lemon and white vinegar acidity. The funk comes through as body odor and hint of plastic. Sweet, floral aromas. A touch powdery. Some light berry notes including strawberry and raspberry. There is a dry, crackery, wheat-like component to the beer. The most complex aspect of this beer.

Taste: On the tip of the tongue some lemon zest and juicy plum sweetness. Then the tart acidity takes over. Tart, unripe plum, plum skin, lemon warhead. The beers dried out quickly. There is not really any funk coming through on the flavor profile. I assume the wine barrels used for this beer held white wine as opposed to red wine.

Feel: Low carbonation and very light on the palate. Very dry with tart acidity hitting the jowels.

Overall: A delicate and highly drinkable beer. It’s not the most intense or complex saison that I’ve had, but it’s right up my alley with the fruit and acidity. It’s a beautiful expression of plum. It has some funk on the nose, but the flavor profile relies exclusively on the fruit and acidity. Really excellent. Clean and crisp.

30. jhavs

Society Trader

Nice, enjoy!

31. RedhawkPoke

Trader

Cherry limeade.

32. jhavs

Society Trader

Big tart and fruity brew from @Snrubnivek
    Loads of sweet and ripe fruit, layer of oaky barrel, tart but not puckering.
    [​IMG]
    And the brew goes nicely with these BLTs made from bacon I received from @Franfab
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks guys! Great stuff!

And thanks @FFFjunkie for coming up with this fun BIF!

33. FFFjunkie

FFFjunkie Crusader (711) Aug 26, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

Drinking this fine beer from @Orca_Whale on a beautiful lazy day.

Near fridge temp, everything shines well. Upon warming, the coffee takes center stage.

Cheers all! Hope you all are enjoying what’s in your glass today!

34. vabeerguy

Society Trader

Gyroscope brewed by Urban Artifacts. Sent by @LloydDobler (by the way happy Father's Day--your first and I predict many, many more to come).

I have to say that I did not think I would like this. He tried to calm my concern that it was not a sour (I am not a big sour fan) by attaching a note to the can. Turns out he was right. This is a hell of a beer! I am thoroughly enjoying it. Even my bride likes it and she is not a beer fan.

Thanks my friend.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

35. AyatollahGold

Trader

I was curious what you would think about this. Thanks for sharing.

Great choice @LloydDobler !

UA is doing good things with those Midwest fruit tarts. And at 8-9% too.

36. vabeerguy

Society Trader

I hope to convince the kid to send me a few of these and I will send as many Richmond beers he wants.

Yabey, brutalfarce, Franfab and 11 others like this.
  37. JFreres

JFreres Disciple (379) Dec 2, 2014 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

Sounds like it would be delicious

38. vabeerguy

Society Trader

Odysseus. A TIPA brewed by Celestial. Courtesy of @r0rschach . Dude, this is an awesome beer but at 10% it will probably kick my sorry ass!

Thanks for sending.
    [​IMG]

Yabey, brutalfarce, Franfab and 16 others like this.
  39. Vidblain

Vidblain Meyvn (1,046) Feb 17, 2017 Minnesota
    Society Trader

@Dragginballs76 dropped this on me at Dark Lord Day - a total surprise, and like a schmuck, I didn't have much for him. I owe you, Mike!

[​IMG]

Wish list bottle! Lots of barrel, tons of berry. Quite tart, fairly sour, lots of sweetness from the berries. This is a killer - complex and layered.

Thanks again, Mike - appreciate it!

40. zekeman17

zekeman17 Crusader (716) Feb 14, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I forgot that tonight was the night to share. I quickly went to the beer fridge to see what was cold and grabbed this from @Harrison8. 2015 Free Stare Old Backus Barleywine. First off let me say, that unlike some people, I am a fan of barleywines. And this one is a good one. Right off the bat the smell kicks you in the face with sweet maltiness and alcohol (10%, nothing subtle about it). After letting it warm up for a couple minutes, the first sip delivers more of the same along with caramel, dried fruits and bam! more alcohol. A really tasty beer. Not that I’m upset that I opened it, but almost wish I was enjoying it in front of a fire on a cold winter night. [​IMG]