NBS BIF #11: Nigel Tufnels wet dream

Discussion in 'Beer It Forward' started by beertunes, Mar 3, 2020.

1. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (3,009) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

You're a great BIF partner - I think we've had the pleasure twice.

I don't trade anymore, either - just participate in these BIF's, and alway ALWAYS receive tremendous beers. I've mentioned it here and in the sign up thread, but in the 7 full BIF's, one "mini BIF Holiday edition" BIF, LIF and ninja packages I've received as a tangent to these BIF's since the fall of 2016, I've probably received 200+ beers (probably closer to 250).

Roll that around in your mind a minute - 20+ cases of really great beers.

And I've shipped around that much. With that kind of volume going both ways, I don't have time to trade.

I used to trade a lot when I lived in Minnesota, primarily with people in Indiana - that's the first time I had Zombie Dust, and I used to ship Surly beers all OVER this state (yay cans!!!). But these BIF's surpass anything I can do trading, plus I get the irrational levels of enjoyment I get from the "Hints & Hauls" thread.

It's a no brainer for me - these events are my trades. I wouldn't have it any other way.

2. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,019) Sep 24, 2007 Liechtenstein
    Society Trader

Sadly, the Feds still frown on this, and it's just a gamble I'm not into. But, maybe some bacon or coffee might head your way....

2beerdogs, MacMalt, Pinz412 and 9 others like this.
  3. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,405) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

Up til now it depended on the owner and what sort of license they have. Some local breweries, restaurants and bottleshop/growler fill places have remained open for take-out only since Inslee shut down dining and drinking on-premises last week. Some let you in to order and hang til your beer/food order is ready, others (like my visit to TTs in Spokane Valley on Saturday) need you to call orders in and let them walk stuff out to your car in the parking lot. Weed shops, I'm assuming (I'm not a weed guy) are functioning like a standard retail business, where you can still shop, provided there's not too many other people in the store. Now, I stocked up pretty well over the weekend and have no plans to go out again besides for work or for walks, so I'm not sure how the "Shelter-In-Place" order issued on Monday is affecting the restaurants and breweries. I know grocery stores will remain open (I suspect they are doing better than just about any other industry right now) as essential businesses. Perhaps restaurants are as well.

MacMalt, Pinz412, kemoarps and 6 others like this.
  4. beertunes

Society Trader

Do you do any other BIFS?

If not, this is the exact result I had hoped for when I first floated this balloon on NBS. I thank you, and everyone else who has participated (yes, even the one-and-dones) for making this thing as enjoyable as it is.

I hope that y'all will continue to support under our new Overlords.

5. beertunes

Society Trader

We are allowed to stay open for food and beer to-go. last Friday, we sold 150 fish fry's thru a 'drive-up" in our alley, and we're doing it again this week.

The weed store across the street isn't slammed like it usually is, but they're letting a 2-3 folks in at a time, and there's generally a 2-5 person line. They're doing OK.

2beerdogs, MacMalt, Pinz412 and 7 others like this.
  6. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,359) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I only do this one, I’m so done with ISO and FT.

2beerdogs, Pinz412, beertunes and 6 others like this.
  7. nc41

Society Trader

I know , just being well... me. But it would be cool.

Hmmm, coffee laced with pot, is that a WA thing? Sounds good to me .

8. ovaltine

Society Trader

No, just this one. Why mess with perfection?

2beerdogs, beertunes, Pinz412 and 4 others like this.
  9. Dimidiata

Dimidiata Initiate (57) Jul 14, 2017 California
    Trader

@thebeers sure doesn't mess around padding his beer boxes! I think I found everything that was in the box. Great reuse of a Tavour box for sure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cans:

Tired Hands - Alien Church ipa
    Tired Hands - Lemon Meringue Milkshake ipa
    Tired Hands - Extra Vanilla Double Milkshake ipa
    Tired Hands - Orange Creamsicle Milkshake ipa
    Tired Hands - Memory Care (salted chocolate and lavender coffee stout)
    Tree House - Espresso Double Shot
    Sly Fox/Stoudts - Black Lager
    Workhorse - Helles
    Workhorse - Vienna Lager
    Imprint - Reap What You Sow (Pilsner)
    3 Floyds - Region X (Dortmunder/Export Lager)
    Sixpoint - Master Blend (BBA stout)
    Mystery beer

Bottles:
    Tired Hands - Sticky Drippy Crystals (saison with honey aged in oak)
    Tired Hands - Ourison (saison aged in oak)
    Tired Hands - Unique Facade (saison with peaches&apricots)

Awake Minds Coffee (this is Tired Hands stuff and it's fantastic)
    Tired Hands glass (loved this artwork when I had the beer!)

Huge thanks to @thebeers for all this good stuff. Three breweries I've never had a beer from, and beers from others that I've been meaning to try. Tired Hands is probably my most visited non-CA brewery, but there's only one beer in there that I've had before. And I've only recently started trying their saisons, so stoked to try more. Only way this could have been more amazing is if you sent some of the Brew Cafe's candied bacon and fresh bread. :wink: Thank you, Arthur! Such a great variety of beer. And a challenger to my favorite black lager, Death&Taxes.

Seriously, this glass is amazing.

[​IMG]

#1209 Dimidiata, Mar 26, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    2beerdogs, nc41, MacMalt and 12 others like this.
  10. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (3,168) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

2beerdogs, MacMalt, ovaltine and 6 others like this.
  11. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (3,926) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

Great hit @thebeers! That Awake Minds coffee is awesome and makes a great cold brew.

Whyteboar, ovaltine, FBarber and 5 others like this.
  12. Dimidiata

Trader

I want to leave it out on the table so I can wake up tomorrow and it'll be like quarantine xmas morning.

Whyteboar, ovaltine, FBarber and 6 others like this.
  13. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (2,413) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

Those Carton coffee offerings are amazeballs!!! Great NJ hit @MacMalt

MacMalt, ovaltine, FBarber and 4 others like this.
  14. 2beerdogs

Society Trader

Face PAINTER!!!

ovaltine, Pinz412, thebeers and 2 others like this.
  15. woemad

Society Trader

Holy crap! Somewhere a bottleshop is reporting their entire stock has been stolen! Nice work, @thebeers

#1215 woemad, Mar 26, 2020
    2beerdogs, MacMalt, Whyteboar and 8 others like this.
  16. 2beerdogs

Society Trader

Damn. I love beer, but I love that dog even more!

17. 2beerdogs

Society Trader

OMG! You're killing me!!! Love these pics!

18. beertunes

Society Trader

Is it? Well, yes it is
    Also,a CO, OR thing as well.

The fucking feds on the other hand.....

2beerdogs, MacMalt, kemoarps and 7 others like this.
  19. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (2,933) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Glad they made it — and that some are new to you. I was too lazy to download Untappd, so I was flying blind for the most part.

That double-box and padding was sent to me in the last BIF. I love it! So over the top, but so easy to pack and no sounds of sloshing. Hope it’s in okay shape and you’ll be able to reuse it too. If nothing else, it was great seeing your dogs enjoy it. Beautiful photos.

Salud! :beers:

2beerdogs, MacMalt, Whyteboar and 8 others like this.
  20. Pinz412

Pinz412 Initiate (111) Nov 20, 2019 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Back in my early 20's my friends and I once bought a case of 40's "off the back of a truck" for about $10. When we got them home we realized that two of the bottles had broken, but it was still a steal to us.
    This is only my second BIF with the first being the recent Rookies one that we were in. These have brought so much fun and excitement to beer trading. I'll still do a few specific trades here and there if they fall into my lap, but I can't see missing one of these if I'm in a place financially to be able to participate.
    A friend of mine just got back from Denver where they sell small envelopes(think sugar packets) of crystallized THC that you can add to anything. They're odorless and tasteless, so you can make any beverage magical.

2beerdogs, MacMalt, beertunes and 9 others like this.
  21. foundersasap

foundersasap Aspirant (282) Feb 2, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

@thebeers - nice work! I remember your hit on me a few BIFs back, liver still recovering

2beerdogs, Pinz412, kemoarps and 6 others like this.
  22. thebeers

Society Trader

That might have been my first BIF — definitely one of the earlier rounds :beers:

2beerdogs, MacMalt, Pinz412 and 7 others like this.
  23. nc41

Society Trader

Here’s a pic from FBarber @FBarber.

there’s a wall of beers behind the double stack. I was chicken to stack 3 high. A ton of beer,

Beers from everywhere, beers in all styles. Have to say I was shocked to see 5 New Glarus beers plus the BC Prop. Great swag , coffee, cool mug,, a Dovetail Brewery ski hat.

I haven’t had a cellar in years, and now I have one again, lol. Thanks Frank incredibly generous, sorry for the late pic I’m on baby sitting duty and I just forgot. The pic doesn’t do it justice it really doesn’t.
    [​IMG]

#1223 nc41, Mar 26, 2020
    2beerdogs, MacMalt, Pinz412 and 14 others like this.
  24. Roy_Hobbs

Roy_Hobbs Disciple (321) Jan 21, 2017 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Wasn't your address in one of the pictures posted earlier? Social distancing be damned....I'll be over around 7:00. Looks amazing! Nice hit @FBarber.

2beerdogs, MacMalt, Pinz412 and 9 others like this.
  25. nc41

Society Trader

I don’t think there’s any other BIF guys around, but if you don’t have the bugs come on in. I always share. Every BIF everyone gets hit, that’s why I don’t trade anymore, nothing can beat a BIF.

2beerdogs, MacMalt, Pinz412 and 10 others like this.
  26. DonnieT79

DonnieT79 Initiate (51) Jan 3, 2020 Ohio
    Trader

Totally agree. This has been a regular in my fridge for a while. Nice change of pace from everything on the shelves lately. Glad you enjoyed it!

2beerdogs, Pinz412, beertunes and 5 others like this.
  27. nc41

Society Trader

Oh, and my daughters tests came back negative for the virus, so it’s a good day.

28. woemad

Society Trader

So, box #1 theoretically hits my target's porch tomorrow, and still no call-out. I know for a fact he has seen all my recent hits. I think he's playing hard to get, but just in case,
    Hint #23
    [​IMG]

2beerdogs, MacMalt, Pinz412 and 8 others like this.
  29. thebeers

Society Trader

So many tasty beverages! Great hit, @FBarber.

2beerdogs, MacMalt, Pinz412 and 8 others like this.
  30. DonnieT79

DonnieT79 Initiate (51) Jan 3, 2020 Ohio
    Trader

That is awesome news!

2beerdogs, Pinz412, beertunes and 9 others like this.
  31. Dimidiata

Trader

Oh wow, I totally thought you used Untappd! I've had Alien Church before because Tired Hands usually brings it to festivals out here, but I just realized I never checked it in on Untappd before. I thought I'd had that vanilla milkshake, but I've not had this specific one. I have a bottle of Unique Facade waiting for me back at my friend's house in NJ because it's exactly the sort of saison I love so good guessing there! I also really enjoy the fruited Frequency Illusions. So much good (and weird) beer at Tired Hands.

Do you ever go to Forest&Main? I went there late one night and had amazing food and beer, would like to go again. Imprint has been on my radar for a while but I haven't yet made it out there.

2beerdogs, larryi86, MacMalt and 8 others like this.
  32. nc41

Society Trader

Theres a full wall of beer behind the stacked beers. I have a better camera, but I haven’t a clue how to use that with Imjur. I’m about to relax and have a beer, a NG Pils. If I was a ticker I could tick myself half to death at least.

2beerdogs, larryi86, MacMalt and 10 others like this.
  33. FBarber

Society Trader

I think you'll enjoy that one.

2beerdogs, larryi86, MacMalt and 6 others like this.
  34. thebeers

Society Trader

I love Forest & Main. I actually had a regular there pick up a bottle of Marius for you a few weeks ago — but I still haven’t met with him as planned yet because of the pandemic. That’ll probably end up going to someone in the next round, unless he drinks it first.

I also made a special trip out to Imprint for your box, but only felt safe shipping the lager after some of their other beers exploded on me.

[​IMG]

You would have gotten some Levante, too, if it weren’t for the coronavirus.

The best laid schemes... :cry:

2beerdogs, larryi86, MacMalt and 7 others like this.
  35. FBarber

Society Trader

Got back from the doctors and couldn't get into my house because of the boxes blocking my way. Salvo #2 landed from @MacMalt and WOW I am blown away:
    [​IMG]
    Cannot wait to dig into these starting tonight ... So many good looking beers.

#1235 FBarber, Mar 26, 2020
    2beerdogs, larryi86, MacMalt and 12 others like this.
  36. nc41

Society Trader

I am, it’s a great beer, no gimmicks, just straight up what a lager should be. NG Two Woman Lager, classic german malts and hops.
    [​IMG]

2beerdogs, larryi86, MacMalt and 12 others like this.
  37. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (3,938) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Well, I'm befuddled. I haven't paid close attention to your clues since you were my sender two BIFs ago. But there's no getting around the Bucknell and Seton Hall references!
    C'est moi?

2beerdogs, larryi86, kemoarps and 9 others like this.
  38. ovaltine

Society Trader

That Over Head from Kane is a bad mamma jamma. I’d drink that until it came out of my ears. Props to @TongoRad (for sure) and @SammyJaxxxx (IIRC) for the NBS BIF love with this beer.

2beerdogs, Pinz412, larryi86 and 9 others like this.
  39. ovaltine

Society Trader

I sent this to my target because I’m a sucker for sharing imperial porters brewed with honey, cocoa nibs, guajillo and chipotle peppers that are then aged on oak with my beer nerd friends .....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What, everyone doesn’t have an imperial porter brewed with honey, cocoa nibs, guajillo and chipotle peppers that are then aged on oak sitting on their local’s shelves?

I’m flummoxed.

Seriously though, Floyd’s killed this, IMHO. The peppers are spicy enough to keep things interesting (nice bit of heat at the end of the taste), and the cocoa nibs provide that chocolate flavor I love, but the great thing with this beer are the stone fruit flavors, which I’d guess are tied to the oak aging.

Three Floyd’s is revered because they take chances. This beer is another example of that.

40. Roy_Hobbs

Roy_Hobbs Disciple (321) Jan 21, 2017 Connecticut
    Society Trader

All three of the bottles you sent looked amazing, this one included. I likely won't crack any of them until the current craziness has passed, as I want to share them with a friend of mine who will also appreciate them.

2beerdogs, Whyteboar, Pinz412 and 7 others like this.