NBS BIF #14 Hints and Hauls: Eww, David! Duo mures inclusi copulare sacci lana!

Discussion in 'Beer It Forward' started by Roguer, Sep 14, 2021.

1. snaotheus

snaotheus Poo-Bah (5,165) Oct 6, 2008 Washington
    Society Trader

Wait, WTF. I found an actual reference to a Garbanzo McFuddlebaum from 2005.

http://www.newyorkultrarunning.org/LIGreenbeltEnduranceTrailRunResults_2005.htm

What kind of long game are you playing here? ARE YOU A TIME TRAVELLER? I am calling you out! (as a time traveller)

2. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (5,278) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

We all know this name is going to end up in the name of NBS BIF #15, right?

3. snaotheus

Society Trader

Garbanzo McFuddlebaum and the BIF of Ages

4. FrankenMiller

FrankenMiller Aspirant (219) Mar 5, 2014 Florida
    Trader

Id did not even look at your hints because GENERALLY senders and targets are not matched together. No wonder I was even more lost than usual!!... Oh and Im a Giants fan so Tampa and Brady can fuck right off.

5. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (8,962) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Well, at least all that stuff is easily replaceable. I'll probably get that out early next week.

6. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Meyvn (1,335) Apr 21, 2014 Canada (ON)
    Trader

7. foundersasap

foundersasap Disciple (320) Feb 2, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

@snaotheus for Mayor! - killing it

8. WunderLlama

WunderLlama Poo-Bah (3,089) Dec 27, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Green is my favorite color by Cloudburst

4.15/5 rDev -0.2%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

[​IMG]

Can received from @snaotheus in Bif14

new beer. New brewery , Fresh hops!!

Brewers notes:

Green Is My Favorite Color

Wet Hop IPA | 6.0% | 60 IBU
    It’s true. Green IS our favorite color. It’s just so versatile. It can be bright, it can be light, it can be dark, it can be camouflage, it can be neon, it can be almost grey or brown but not really, or it can be unquestionably...green. Where are we going with this...nobody knows. Amarillo is Spanish for “yellow” though. And, yellow and green are pretty close in color. AND, this beer was brewed with GREEN AMARILLOS from Virgil Gamache Farms to the tune of 18# per barrel - pretty crazy, huh? So here it is - in all it’s fresh and wet and dank and citrus glory.

Canned 9.23 in the Pacific Northwest , opened 10.13 overlooking Plymouth Bay

Hazy golden yellow , two finger rocky white foam cap , good retention after five minutes , settles to an island with grasping rings , spotty lacings

Aroma is lemon citrus, tangerine, lemon rind

Taste is lightly lemon , dank finish , fresh hoppy taste

Good sudsing , semi dry finish , gentle hop bite

Good beer

@snaotheus , thank you !!!

9. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,422) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Watching Daniel getting taken off the field this week was absolute brutal. I hope that guy comes out OK.

10. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,422) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

@FrankenMiller nuked my porch today. The counter couldn't handle the breadth of this photo, so here's a rug photo instead. Lots of IPAs I'm eager to dive into, along with that mystery beer.

I got a last minute free entry into a half marathon this weekend. I'm actually trying to drink less, but I'll be enjoying that cold brew right afterwards. Some of those IPAs will be deleted during the noon NFL football games this weekend.

[​IMG]

Actually, this is also a new glassware shape for me. I've seen it around, but never picked one up. Eager to give that a go.

11. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (2,789) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Great hit, @FrankenMiller ! Good luck on the half marathon, @Harrison8 !

#1851 Beersnake1, Oct 13, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  12. foundersasap

foundersasap Disciple (320) Feb 2, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

Oh hell yea, @FrankenMiller - nice hit

13. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (5,278) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

niiiiice @FrankenMiller !!

14. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (3,848) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

Absolutely unnecessary - you have crushed it (pun intended) with the three boxes you’ve sent me, Terry. I have enough fresh hops and winter warmers and weizenbocks to last me until the next millennium.

15. ovaltine

Society Trader

Here’s the haul from Box #3 from my friend @BBThunderbolt …..

[​IMG]

Mystery beer (!!!!!), barrel aged coffee (!!!!!), a fantastic glass (!!!!!), and another mother lode of fresh hops from the home of hops (PMW baby!!!!!).

I now have enough fresh hops to bequeath them as part of the ovaltine will. IJS.

You are the best, Terry. The absolute f*cking best.

16. Roy_Hobbs

Roy_Hobbs Champion (826) Jan 21, 2017 Connecticut
    Society Trader

I ran a 50 mile trail race (the VT 50) back in 2011 and Garbanzo McFuddlebaum ran the 50k. If I remember correctly, he was in his early 60s at the time. All I know is that it's my favorite name ever.

17. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (2,868) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

Hilarious!

MacMalt, JayORear, Ozzylizard and 6 others like this.
  18. WunderLlama

Society Trader

Little green men by little beast brewing

new beer, new brewery , fresh hops!!

3.79/5 rDev +7.1%
    look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

[​IMG]

Can received in Bif 14 from @snaotheus

Canned 9.14, opened 10.13, poured into a teku

Two finger white foam cap quickly recedes to a ring with sticky lacings over a hazy yellow liquid

Aroma is floral , whiff of tart , melon, white grape

Taste is floral , melon, white grape

Sudsy mouthfeel, gentle hop nibble , soft , smooth

[​IMG]

Good beer, thanks Ryan !!!

MacMalt, JayORear, Ozzylizard and 8 others like this.
  19. 2beerdogs

Society Trader

Great photo arrangement! And wonderful hit @FrankenMiller

MacMalt, Ozzylizard, FBarber and 6 others like this.
  20. 2beerdogs

Society Trader

Great job Terry @BBThunderbolt You are a true killer.

MacMalt, JayORear, Ozzylizard and 8 others like this.
  21. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (6,291) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Moderator Society Trader

@Harrison8

I paired you two together specifically because I figured it would cause some chaos and delay a call-out - but I never said I wouldn't pair people together this round in the official rules. :grinning:

MacMalt, Harrison8, JayORear and 11 others like this.
  22. Whyteboar

Whyteboar Champion (832) Jun 7, 2008 Michigan
    Society Trader

Wow indeed! Awesome strike there @snaotheus - absolutely crushing!
    The sock is inspired!

23. Whyteboar

Society Trader

MacMalt, JayORear, Ozzylizard and 9 others like this.
  24. ovaltine

Society Trader

Alright, I owe a LIF thanks to my good friend @Ozzylizard. Let’s do this.

If you’ve seen me post here and in WBAYDN threads and in NBW BIF threads, you know Joy and I (and James) are dog people.

Big time.

Ranger is our dog, and as I told the administrator at the rescue through which we adopted him during the interview I had to submit to (after completing a 4-page application that took 3 days and reviews by 7 attorneys to complete to get our “free” rescue puppy), “Ma’am, with all due respect, this little guy will hit the doggy lotto if we’re allowed to adopt him - there will not be a dog more loved on this planet than him.”

That ended the interview and 2 weeks later, we had Ranger. Here’s a variety of pics over the years of our “little guy” …..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This LIF is exceptionally easy, with one question to be answered, and two tiebreakers (if needed). Entries will be accepted until this Sunday, 10/17/21, at 11 pm Eastern time (8 pm Pacific time).

Unless I change my mind. And this LIF is open to all participants in this BIF, and is also open to participants in the previous BIF. I’m looking at you, @Dimidiata - it was your LIF a month or so ago that provided inspiration for this LIF.

On to the question:

1. Ranger is a mutt, in the most wonderful way. Per the adoption folks, what is Ranger’s primary breed?

Tie breaker #1: in which state was Ranger born?

Tie breaker #2: what is Ranger’s age (in months)?

The winner of this LIF will receive a full allotment of “special” beers from a brewery near and dear to me that is celebrating their brewery doggo this weekend with their annual release of beers in this doggo’s name.

These are very ….. “stout” beers.

Plus some other selections from this same brewery (hops!!!) to fill up a big ol’ box.

Good luck, my friends!

25. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

Erin and I consulted, and we are going with Australian Shepherd as the primary breed. Even if we are right, we have no idea what the mix is.

TB1: PA (because: HA!)
    TB2: an even 60 months. I know you've been posting pics of Ranger for a while, and I feel like he's always been full grown, so ... there. Logic. Big brain.

26. snaotheus

Society Trader

(1) Old English Sheepdog
    (2) Texas
    (3) 34 months

All answers per the wise Mrs. snaotheus.

MacMalt, Roy_Hobbs, FBarber and 5 others like this.
  27. Beersnake1

Society Trader

Alright, cracking another one from a wonderful participant in this BIF. I simply have too many beers to open this weekend in the NBW thread, so I better start cracking the fresh IPAs. This one was gifted from the amazing @Roguer and it's a new brewery for me. I am absolutely loving this one!

Poured from fridge temp. Pours a nice murky orange with a good amount of white head. Nose is bursting with fruity hops, citrus peel, damp leather, caramel corn, pineapple, and a touch of coconut. Maybe I'm just transported to the tropics and that immediately brings me to coconut. Regardless, it's a wonderful note.

Taste: Wow. Not overly hoppy. Sweet candy, toffee, banana, pineapple, leather, a touch of spice (maybe pepper?), wet grass, and a little bit of walnut flavors. That coconut/rum note appears again on the taste. Malty. This is very different from most DIPAs that I've tried. This is really smooth and not sharp around the edges.

Mouthfeel and overall: Light and crisp on the feel. Lovely to drink. A wonderful aftertaste. Overall, this is one of my favorite double IPAs. More approachable and the flavors are diverse. Love it! Thanks for sending this one, Andrew!

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

[​IMG]

28. Whyteboar

Society Trader

That second pic puts him in the Spitz genre (or at least part of his DNA) and based on other features I'd guess German Spitz. His size is too large for just that though.
    What state? Michigan. (Frankenmuth is about as German as you can get this side of the Atlantic)
    Age? I'll go 72 months. He looks pretty mature.
    Nice looking dog! Looks to really enjoy the water. My two Icees don't, even though the breed comes from a small island nation.

MacMalt, 2beerdogs, snaotheus and 7 others like this.
  29. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

I know IPAs aren't your jam, but I can't help but send along some Beer'd and Tree House. :grinning:

I think you nailed that one: it's just smooth. Beer'd does IPAs really, really well (IMO, the best in Connecticut). That one isn't a fan favorite, or their highest rated, but it's impressively smooth.

MacMalt, 2beerdogs, Whyteboar and 7 others like this.
  30. 2beerdogs

Society Trader

I'm thinking if he was pretty young, German Shepherd.

Tie breakers:
    #1 Illinois
    #2 78 months

MacMalt, Whyteboar, JayORear and 7 others like this.
  31. 2beerdogs

Society Trader

Nice glass. I was just there. I actually bought 2 of those... Just sayin'.

MacMalt, Whyteboar, snaotheus and 4 others like this.
  32. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

I hope that coffee is good. As a non-coffee drinker, I've no clue how much the stuff costs. Until now. If the barrel flavor ain't strong, somebody is getting slapped.

MacMalt, Whyteboar, JayORear and 8 others like this.
  33. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

1 Belgian Malinois.

2 Minnesota

3 41

34. Beersnake1

Society Trader

You were there? We should meet up one of these days!

MacMalt, Whyteboar, JayORear and 5 others like this.
  35. 2beerdogs

Society Trader

Yes
    Yes!

36. WunderLlama

Society Trader

I consulted my Alabama rescue dog , Tuukka. His canine senses revealed the following :

1) German Shepherd
    2) Pennsylvania
    3) 49 months old

woof!

MacMalt, 2beerdogs, Whyteboar and 8 others like this.
  37. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (4,635) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Good day yinz all! I've been hit - good thing I've got overload springs in my SUV:

[​IMG]

Holy crap Ross! Did you decide to quite drinking and bless me with your hoard? Your generosity is overwhelming - I'll be drinking at least another month thanks to your restocking of my beer reefers (I've got to borrow a third one from my son)! After the usual UPS mis-directions, I finally picked them up at the depot last night, amid a mixture of anger and relief. The driver decided they were leaking (they weren't!) and decided to return them to the depot - apparently the "Perishable" tag frightened him. Anyway, I'll post pictures and data later today, after Mrs. Lizard heads to her quilting coven retreat and I pick up a wide angle lens for my camera! You realize, of course, that retaliation is demanded.

38. snaotheus

Society Trader

Looks like a cellar is included in that shipment!

MacMalt, Dimidiata, 2beerdogs and 6 others like this.
  39. Roy_Hobbs

Roy_Hobbs Champion (826) Jan 21, 2017 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Hopefully everything made it in tact. Boxes look like they are in good shape, so I assume so. I thought about removing the "perishable" sticker from that one box, but was too lazy. I can't remember what was in that box originally (I think I was sent food from my work for some unknown reason), but I do recall that my first thought when I opened it was "I have to save this...this would make a great box for beer shipping". I can't be the only one who can't look at a box without instantly assessing whether I should save it for future beer shipping purposes, right?

MacMalt, Dimidiata, 2beerdogs and 9 others like this.
  40. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

Argh, that annoys me so much. "The driver decided they were leaking ... and decided to return them to the depot." Seriously: fuck that guy.

This kind of shit happened to me with UPS way too much, both as a shipper and receiver. And we've had, what, three boxes now wrapped and delivered by USPS despite breakage?

Don't get me wrong: I'm still very wary about shipping bottles in flat rate boxes, and usually will include a max of 1 or 2 12 oz bottles - I prefer to go all cans. But if I'm going UPS/FedEx, I prefer to use bottle shippers (I did not this round and really felt like I was rolling the dice - but I had to get food and glassware in there).