1. Trying to obtain a specific beer? Looking for a proxy or trustee? Tired of trading on other platforms? We've got you covered. Join our Beer Trading community to unlock this forum and new features! — Todd, Founder of BeerAdvocate

NBS BIF #14 Hints and Hauls: Eww, David! Duo mures inclusi copulare sacci lana!

Discussion in 'Beer It Forward' started by Roguer, Sep 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WunderLlama

WunderLlama Grand Pooh-Bah (4,486) Dec 27, 2010 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Jeff, subtract the Moxie from the total . It’s not beer . It’s “nerve food.”

[​IMG]

MacMalt, Ozzylizard, JayORear and 9 others like this.
  2. Roy_Hobbs

Roy_Hobbs Pooh-Bah (2,289) Jan 21, 2017 Connecticut
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'm headed to Fox Farm tomorrow and picking up 5 of these (among other things), most of which will likely end up in BIF / LIF boxes now and / or in the future. I've heard nothing but good things about this particular beer.

3. Beersnake

Beersnake Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,330) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'm drinking another from the great @JayORear box! Oh Black Lager from Discretion.

Poured from a can at fridge temp. Pours a gorgeous dark brown with a good amount of tan head. Opaque. The nose is super smooth. Caramel, roasted malts, freshly-baked bread, and a faint hint of molasses. It is somewhat subtle.

The taste is super smooth and light. Immediately getting the roasted malts. It hits directly in the middle of sweet and bitter, with bitter dominating on the aftertaste. Rye bread, slight burnt toffee, and wood. Getting a slight hint of ashtray on the aftertaste as well.

Mouthfeel and overall: Light and refreshing. An easy drinker. Overall, this is definitely an interesting one. Isn't necessarily similar to many Schwarzbiers that I've tasted, but great nonetheless. Thanks, Jay!

3.83/5 rDev +1.9%

[​IMG]

4. Beersnake

Beersnake Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,330) Aug 17, 2013 California

Wow - sounds amazing!

5. Whyteboar

Whyteboar Grand Pooh-Bah (3,380) Jun 7, 2008 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Ah, that does make sense.
    And I will enjoy, no doubt in my mind!
    Thanks again, I’m still grinning like an idiot.
    Cheers!

6. Roguer

Roguer Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,757) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut

@WunderLlama

I didn't know what to expect, but I was super, super impressed - enough so to send one away in a LIF box. :grinning:

7. snaotheus

snaotheus Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,910) Oct 6, 2008 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

@WunderLlama, the USPS tells me your box was blocked due to animal interference. Were you letting your inner feral Llama out?

8. FBarber

FBarber Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,161) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois

LOL, I am only here until Monday morning, so my temporary porch will have to remain unscathed. :wink:

9. FBarber

FBarber Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,161) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois

This is always the most stressful part of the BIF ... waiting for all the boxes to land ... @MacMalt 's boxes are "in transit - arriving on time". :grimacing:

10. Roguer

Shipping update: my package is in transit. Oddly, it traveled East first, into Rhode Island - but not to @tasterschoice62 , for he is not my target.

Then, it was scanned in the Midwest, but not in Michigan, Pennsylvania, nor Illinois - for none of them are my target.

I know my target is paying attention to this thread. Will he go back and review my clues before my box alights upon his porch? :wink:

11. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,282) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Not that it will be of interest to @ovaltine , but, a friend of mine went to the Fresh Hop Festival in Yakima last weekend. He muled me back some brews that I picked up from him today. Just got home from work, and am drinking a Bale Breaker Citra Slicker, a perennial favorite of mine during FH season.

[​IMG]

12. snaotheus

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Based on some cryptic messages that my less-than-sober mind tells me could possibly have been from you, there may be a shared target or some other such confusing nonsense...

Well...if it's me, I've already concluded that I'm just not figuring out your clues. So it would be a pleasant surprise.

If it's not me...I've already concluded that I'm just not figuring out your clues. So it'll be business as usual, and I'll be happy for whoever receives your pleasant surprise.

13. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,282) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Do you like coffee beers? If so, our favorite sandwhich delivery duder might be your guy.

Or not.

Good luck.

14. snaotheus

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I have enjoyed coffee beers in the past and will probably continue to do so in the future.

I have not enjoyed one in New York yet. But the trip is young, and I am with beer neophytes. But they go home on Sunday. And I have an unlimited subway pass now.

Although we have managed to kill a bottle of cask strength scotch and 75% of a bottle of bourbon just in our room in the last two nights or so, discounting any drinking out and about.

15. WunderLlama

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

To gain access to WunderLlama Castle, you must cross the crocodile filled moat (aforementioned animal interference) have the drawbridge lowered, face the slings and arrows of your critics and give a dog treat to Tuukka , a lab pit mix. He is lovable but does have a ferocious , intimidating bark. It is comical because the UPS driver will toss a dog biscuit to him in a drive by because he expects his treat.

[​IMG]

#1655 WunderLlama, Oct 9, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  16. WunderLlama

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

You know when sometimes you want a hoppy ipa , or a clean crisp Pilsner, or a dark rich stout? Last night I wanted dark and Mantel combined a barrel aged stout with a barley wine. Dark with a heavy abv . Tasted rich & good , but it made for an early night. Then the Red Sox won. It was a good night

17. snaotheus

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Sheesh! Cute security system. Hopefully the mailman isn't afraid to try again!

MacMalt, 2beerdogs, ovaltine and 3 others like this.
  18. foundersasap

foundersasap Maven (1,393) Feb 2, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

Love it, great Holiday card!

MacMalt, Whyteboar, ovaltine and 5 others like this.
  19. ovaltine

ovaltine Grand Pooh-Bah (5,911) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

You have my undivided attention …..

MacMalt, Roy_Hobbs, FBarber and 4 others like this.
  20. Roguer

It's time: reviews are going live on NBW. Come join me so that I don't wind up dominating the thread (plus, I'm splitting any non-IPAs with my wife, because I'm not a dick :slight_smile: ). :grinning:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.