NBS BIF #15 Hints and Hauls: Was it Over When the Canadians Bombed BIF #14? HELL NO!

Discussion in 'Beer It Forward' started by Roguer, Mar 18, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FBarber

FBarber Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

I am thoroughly impressed at how quickly everyone has narrowed it down ... I didn't think anyone would actually guess it, now I will kind of be disappointed if someone doesn't get it.

2. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

Oh and @Coronaeus I failed to find any fresh Beat Culture ... :cry:

3. woemad

woemad Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

Damn, this is great! Hitting the spot while I do some chores and listen to some Mingus.
    [​IMG]

Thanks, @Rub_This_BBQ!

colts9016, FBarber, snaotheus and 9 others like this.
  4. Whyteboar

Whyteboar Jun 7, 2008 Michigan
    Society Trader

Glad you enjoyed it! I forgot that I had even sent that out. #14 played havoc with my mind!

colts9016, FBarber, snaotheus and 6 others like this.
  5. jonphisher

jonphisher Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Never underestimate the lure of more beer...(says as if all our beer fridges are not currently overloaded as it is :grin:)

colts9016, FBarber, snaotheus and 7 others like this.
  6. WunderLlama

WunderLlama Dec 27, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Does the town name have six letters in its name?

7. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

And my liver!

colts9016, FBarber, snaotheus and 7 others like this.
  8. beergoot

beergoot Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

Tree House Brewing Co. -- King Julius
    American double India pale ale
    ABV: 8.2%; pouring temperature: 50 °F; canning data: IN THE LAND OF SKUNKS, HE WHO HAS HALF A NOSE IS KING 03/17/22
    Source: @Roguer (Le Roi Expéditeur BIF #15)

[​IMG]

4.26/5 rDev -9.4%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Excellent semi-hazy body; peach and orange color; incredibly dense and creamy head, rocky and sticky in texture; splotchy patches of foam stick to the glass. Fresh orange aroma; soft citrus and oat tones. Well-balanced flavor; citrus and biscuit notes; moderate bitterness; moderate phenol tones. Heavy body; super smooth and creamy; low-key warmth underneath.

This is a superb beer. The looks and mouthfeel are the true highlights. That said, the smell and taste hold their own, too. Well-rounded with fantastic appearance and texture augmenting top-notch flavor and smell. Balanced, complex, intriguing depth and allure.

----------------------------------------------------

...perhaps I wasn't as 'wowed' with the taste and smell of this beer as some, but I certainly concur with the looks and mouthfeel of this extraordinary beer...

9. beergoot

Society Trader

...oh, it's coming...:grin:

colts9016, FBarber, snaotheus and 6 others like this.
  10. beergoot

Society Trader

...and begin with an 'O'...???...:grin:

colts9016, FBarber, snaotheus and 5 others like this.
  11. 2beerdogs

Society Trader

@FBarber Squeaking a question in before midnight... my time. Does the town/city start with the letter O?

colts9016, FBarber, ovaltine and 7 others like this.
  12. jonphisher

Society Trader

@FBarber is the population of the town/city less than 10,000 people?

colts9016, FBarber, woemad and 8 others like this.
  13. beergoot

Society Trader

@FBarber - Question #5: is his birthplace's elevation over 600 meters?

colts9016, FBarber, woemad and 6 others like this.
  14. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Apr 21, 2014 Canada (ON)
    Society Trader

@FBarber

Is his home town known for the growing of loquats?

#3334 Coronaeus, May 8, 2022
    Last edited: May 8, 2022
    colts9016, FBarber, woemad and 5 others like this.
  15. WunderLlama

Society Trader

@FBarber was gran papa from Lubrin?

Its economy was based on agriculture and livestock, and the most important crops were wheat and olive, which together with wine and chickpeas were exported to Lorca, Murcia and Almeria.

The town underwent another depopulation from the beginning of the twentieth century with the majority of the population emigrating to the United States.

16. Coronaeus

Society Trader

There is a good chance I’ll be engaged with Mother’ Day activities the rest of the day. So, I’m throwing caution to the wind and making my @FBarber LIF guess as I may not be on again until we’ll after midnight.

Final guess: Órgiva?

17. Whyteboar

Society Trader

Bother, I keep forgetting about this LIF. I can put in a guess if it’s not already been won. Was waiting for a couple answers first, Frank must be very occupied with family so I won’t expect anything soon.
    Hopefully all is good with you and yours @FBarber - funerals can be tough.

colts9016, Roy_Hobbs, FBarber and 9 others like this.
  18. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Aug 17, 2013 California
    Moderator Society Trader

Sipping on Kevin the Bold from Gravel Bottom. Compliments of @Whyteboar!

Poured from a can at fridge temp. The ABV on this can says 10%, so perhaps there is some variation from batch to batch? Pours black as night with quickly fading tan head. Good carbonation.

The nose is really nice. Toffee, dark chocolate, roasted malts. A touch of coffee and coconut. Dark German bread.

The taste is intense and generally follows the nose. Huge roasted malts, charred wood, tar, coffee grounds, pipe tobacco, and very dark chocolate. Ever so slight sweetness comes through, but the intense bitterness extends into the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is pretty thick, but not really creamy. Overall a really nice stout that showcases intense dark chocolate and burnt wood.

4.06/5 rDev -3.1%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Thanks, Craig!

[​IMG]

19. snaotheus

snaotheus Oct 6, 2008 Washington
    Society Trader

JayORear, colts9016, Roguer and 9 others like this.
  20. snaotheus

Society Trader

JayORear, colts9016, Roguer and 8 others like this.
  21. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

Yes.
    Yes.
    Yes.
    Yes.
    No.

No.

No.

[​IMG]

JayORear, colts9016, Roguer and 10 others like this.
  22. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

Congratulations to @Coronaeus!!! Well done!

Her Grandfather was born in lovely Órgiva, Spain in 1935. They still have family there that my wife is in contact with. It is pretty cool.

@Coronaeus, I will be in touch later this week after I get home, to set up shipping this to you this coming weekend.

colts9016, Roguer, Roy_Hobbs and 10 others like this.
  23. 2beerdogs

Society Trader

Nice win. I was flipping a coin between Otivar and Orgiva. Gut went with Orgiva. But the race goes to the swift! Fun LIF. Congrats Peter!

colts9016, Roguer, Roy_Hobbs and 9 others like this.
  24. Whyteboar

Society Trader

Glad you enjoyed it! It’s not a world beater but it’s a good, solid stout that I drink a lot of.

25. Whyteboar

Society Trader

Congrats Peter! Very well done!

26. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

Thank you. It's honestly been a whirlwind since I landed Friday evening. And today was just non stop ... I'm utterly exhausted and we've still got one more day to go.

colts9016, Roguer, beergoot and 8 others like this.
  27. snaotheus

Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Columbus - Creeper. @ovaltine capped my weekend with three really good IPAs, and also made me mad at Alaska Airlines for changing our July trip to Cedar Point to fly into Detroit instead of Columbus.

Anyway, more beer words here in NBW.

2beerdogs, colts9016, Roguer and 9 others like this.
  28. Coronaeus

Society Trader

I have spent more time reading about Andalusia these past few days than I ever have before. Órgiva certainly does look like a lovely place. It is nice that your wife still has a connection to the place.

2beerdogs, colts9016, woemad and 7 others like this.
  29. beergoot

Society Trader

...congratulations to @Coronaeus -- I had pretty much settle on Órgiva, too (its elevation is under 500 meters, but I was trying to throw off a few of you with my 'guess' of a place over 600 meters)...Google My Maps has some decent tools to box the area down, between the geographic line clues, Granada being a 'good guess' early in the game, the 'cousins in the hills' side note and an area essentially being between between 10-25 miles from the coast...Pinos del Valle was my second possibility...

30. Rub_This_BBQ

Rub_This_BBQ Jul 8, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I really enjoyed that one too, nice to see TH not have to only use lactose and adjuncts

31. Roy_Hobbs

Roy_Hobbs Jan 21, 2017 Connecticut
    Society Trader

LIF #2 is in the books. As with LIF #1, the winner will find out who they are when beer arrives. At this point all I'll say is that the winner from LIF #1 (4/30 - 5/1) was from a Saturday afternoon post, while the LIF #2 winner was from a Sunday afternoon post. I hope to ship to both winners this week.

We're now onto LIF #3 - guess how many beers I had in my house as of 4/28/22. The rules were that you'd get one guess for each NBW post you made that contained a new beer review. The original rule was that guesses needed to be in increments of 5, but given that we have 107 guesses that can be made, I'm amending that. You can guess any whole number.

To enter, please direct message me your guesses by EOD Saturday 5/14/22. I'm taking the guesses via direct message vs. in this thread because I don't want anybody to be able to snipe at the very end (e.g. guessing one more than the next highest guess, or guessing "1" at the last second)

Here's how many guesses you can each make. @snaotheus I expect you to use some sort of crazy algorithm to optimize your 18 guesses.

Let me know if any questions, and let the guessing begin.

2beerdogs 3
    BBThunderbolt 7
    beergoot 6
    Beersnake1 10
    colts9016 3
    Coronaeus 8
    FBarber 2
    jonphisher 9
    mbgreg 1
    ovaltine 8
    ozzylizard 1
    Roguer 10
    snaotheus 18
    superspak 10
    whyteboar 4
    woemad 2
    WunderLlama 5

32. Whyteboar

Society Trader

Maths!

33. beergoot

Society Trader

Allagash Brewing Co. -- From Maine, With Love #03
    Sour ale with aronia and elderberry
    ABV: 6.5%; pouring temperature: 45 °F; canning data: unknown
    Source: @Roguer (BIF #15)

[​IMG]

3.82/5 rDev -0.3%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Rhubarb red body; partially cloudy; then yet lasting slightly pink head. Dried wood and wheat aroma; slight bit of earthy esters. Very nice taste; cherry, cranberry and strawberry with a relatively mild tartness. Medium, effervescent body; mild acidity; juicy.

A nice, well-rounded sour ale that is not overly sour. Aronia is a type of chokecherry, and while I don't pick up any distinctly unique flavor, it probably is safe to say that it makes a significant contribution. Both are described as having a somewhat sweet and earthy flavor. I get earthiness in the smell, but not the taste. But instead of over-analyzing things, suffice it to say that this is a very easy drinking and tasty beer.

--------------------------------------------------------------

...this is one of the easiest drinking sour beers I've encountered in a long time...it would be a fair choice to offer to someone interested in the style without overwhelming them with some of the more intense (and interesting) options...very fruit-forward...

colts9016, Roguer, ovaltine and 7 others like this.
  34. WunderLlama

Society Trader

Reubens brews 10th anniversary

3.99/5 rDev 0%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Can received in bif15 from @snaotheus

[​IMG]

Notes: 10th Anniversary Series: 3 of 10

Hazy IPA with Fort George & Great Notion

DREAM TEAM HAZY IPA is a collaboration between Reuben’s Brews, Great Notion (Portland, OR), and Fort George (Astoria, OR.) This dream team first brewed together with the 2017 release of Fort George’s iconic 3-Way, a legendary release all three breweries continue to hear about from our supporters.

Dream Team packs grapefruit, passionfruit, white wine, and stone fruit flavor across a very soft, very light, and pillowy hazy IPA. The brew is engineered to drive up the aromatics at 7.2% ABV. Pilsner malt, plus flaked and malted oats, and flaked rice meet Cryo Simcoe®, Nelson Sauvin™, and Riwaka™ hops alongside Citra Incognito®.

MALTS
    Gambrinus Pils, Malted Oats, Flaked Oats, Flaked Rice
    HOPS
    Cryo Simcoe®, Nelson Sauvin™, Riwaka™, Citra Incognito®
    Can poured into a spiegelau ipa glass, pale yellow translucent liquid capped by a massive 4 finger frothy white foam cap, good retention, spotty lacings , settles to an island

Aroma of melon, peach, white grape

Taste is light citrus grapefruit, white grape,

Light mouthfeel , gentle hop nibble on the finish, semi dry finish

Good beer

35. Coronaeus

Society Trader

Two of four smaller boxes packed up and ready to sail. One of these four will be for the Montreal LIF win, one for my target and two surprises for various reasons. At least two will go off today. The other two by the end of the week.

Also, an update on my non-BIF related lost UPS box. It has been declared lost and the sender is filling out the paperwork. I am actually happier with this result than had it been seized by customs. Luckily, it was a random selection of cans from the Carolinas for a box of different Rush beers. So, not a huge loss. I’m having some things I traded for sent up next week that would be impossible to replace, so I’ll be keeping my fingers permanently crossed until that box arrives…

36. snaotheus

Society Trader

I really enjoyed that one.
    @BBThunderbolt did not, IIRC

colts9016, woemad, Beersnake1 and 5 others like this.
  37. Whyteboar

Society Trader

I finally gave up trying to find the one beer I was looking for to send in @Beersnake1 's last box but while I was looking I accumulated a few others. So the third and fourth boxes went out today. Fingers crossed all those "Fragile" stickers do their job!

beergoot, colts9016, woemad and 7 others like this.
  38. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Aug 17, 2013 California
    Moderator Society Trader

Holy cow!! I can't wait!! Thanks, man!

[​IMG]

39. Whyteboar

Society Trader

Wow, I have never seen a Mrs. Maisel meme before! Sweet!

40. jonphisher

Society Trader

Sipping on this maibock courtesy of @ovaltine

A very very easy drinking beer, loved it.

[​IMG]

Cloudy straw in color, thin layer of white persists with random tiny lacing spots.

Aroma is sweet, grain forward and fresh grass; maybe a small refreshing citrus note.

The taste leans into the sweet tasting grain; little breadier in the taste than you’d expect from nose.

Medium body that drinks so so easily; just the slightest hint of abv. The carbonation is very smooth and creamy. A grainy low bitterness on the dry and clean finish.

#3360 jonphisher, May 11, 2022
    Last edited: May 11, 2022
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.