NBS BIF #15 Hints and Hauls: Was it Over When the Canadians Bombed BIF #14? HELL NO!

Discussion in 'Beer It Forward' started by Roguer, Mar 18, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (6,455) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

I hand wash ALL my beer glasses

2. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (4,552) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

Enjoying this very nice fruited IPA (and glassware) from @BBThunderbolt that features ….. wait for it …..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

….. mango. Terry originally sent me this 5 years ago in another BIFfer, and my review still stands, because this is hitting the spot after a LOOOONG day in the salt mines.

4.02/5 rDev +5.5%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4
    by ovaltine from Indiana

I'm not a fan of mango beers, but this beer is an exception to that stereotype. The color is a slightly murky golden color, light tan head, and citrusy hop aromas cut by the mango sweetness.

The mango hangs back on the taste, though, letting the hops captain the ship, with the mango adding some tart sweetness. THIS is the way to do a mango beer, IMHO. Let the hops shine and take the lead, with the mango playing a solid rhythm section.

May 14, 2017 Edit Delete

3. ovaltine

Society Trader

Let’s go, people, pre-BIF-NBS/T ain’t gonna happen unless you make it so. Another from @BBThunderbolt, he had me at “Kentucky Style Common.”

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3.95/5 rDev +5.3%
    look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4
    by ovaltine from Indiana

This looks like iced tea in my glass, including a light tan head that doesn’t really want to appear after a near vertical pour, and REALLY wants to leave - with prejudice.

The nose is just a bit of grass, and a lot of cereal malt and corn. Sign me the fliggity flock up. This beer is straight up beer bong material.

A little crispy mouthfeel, I’m a fan of the steam beer style and this beer is another example why that is so.

4. ovaltine

Society Trader

Last one, also from @BBThunderbolt, the beer indeed does have a fruit punch flavor profile, but the look is a bit ….. off to me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3.97/5 rDev +4.5%
    look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4
    by ovaltine from Indiana

Mostly clear golden color that leans a bit to brown with a creamy, sudsy white head that provides nice lacing, the can references fruit punch, and that description is spot on, both on the nose and taste.

The mouthfeel is crisp and bright. This is a crushable beer that could smack you if you’re not careful, given the 7.6% ABV.

5. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (10,026) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Didn't realize I had sent that before. Not sorry.

Roy_Hobbs, woemad, Whyteboar and 4 others like this.
  6. WunderLlama

WunderLlama Poo-Bah (3,716) Dec 27, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Watching USA vs Morocco

ralphius mocha by free will

4.49/5 rDev +2%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

[​IMG]

Bottle received in Bif14 from @JayORear, poured into a smog city snifter

Chilled bottle , dark motor oil capped by a one finger dense creamy taupe layer, recedes to a solid layer

Aroma is sweet chocolate coffee , roast malts ,

Taste is roasty malts , coffee, sweet chocolate , char , figs , dark chocolate

Mouthfeel is Low sudsing , sweet start, char on the finish , not biting, full , rich , syrupy

Good beer

#3806 WunderLlama, Jun 2, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
    beergoot, Beersnake1, woemad and 8 others like this.
  7. ovaltine

Society Trader

I didn't expect you would be, especially since I enjoyed it so much.

We've exchanged a LOT of beer over the last 6 years, Terry. It's like trying to keep track of grains of sand on a beach.

[​IMG]

beergoot, Beersnake1, woemad and 7 others like this.
  8. Whyteboar

Whyteboar Meyvn (1,427) Jun 7, 2008 Michigan
    Society Trader

For those of you curious what beer he is talking about, I think it was Ralphius (sp?) Mocha.
    Sounds really good!

9. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (10,026) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Clearly, that is not a pic of a WA beach. One really does not want those rocks near the sensitive bits.

Even if one happens to be on a sandy beach, then one has to protect against geoducks.

beergoot, Roguer, Whyteboar and 6 others like this.
  10. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

[​IMG]

beergoot, Beersnake1, woemad and 5 others like this.
  11. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Poo-Bah (1,997) Apr 21, 2014 Canada (ON)
    Society Trader

I want to apologize in advance for what will likely be sporadic engagement here the next few weeks. Sadly, my mother-in-law has had some health complications and my wife will be looking after her for a while. To @colts9016 and @snaotheus , I may be delayed (and delayed further in your case Jammin) in getting your boxes out to you. My apologies. I’m hoping life gets back to normal in a couple weeks or so.

12. jonphisher

jonphisher Poo-Bah (1,525) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Wish you guys all the best getting through the extra work and responsibilities that you'll have the next few weeks. New beers always help...:beers::wink:

Beersnake1, woemad, Whyteboar and 4 others like this.
  13. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

I'm sorry to hear that. Wishing her, your wife, and your family the best.

14. snaotheus

snaotheus Poo-Bah (6,572) Oct 6, 2008 Washington
    Society Trader

No worries, friend. I'm amply stocked with beer, and I can survive on that. Focus on taking care of your family.

@FBarber, on the other hand, is disappointing me a little bit. He promised me he'd be drinking BIF beers ALL DAY EVERY THURSDAY until stock runs low, and unless he sleeps much later than I think he does, he's failing in his duties...
    [​IMG]

15. Rub_This_BBQ

Rub_This_BBQ Defender (669) Jul 8, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I have failed the group and have not done a review in weeks, I have a keg of allgash white for a left over party and have been trying to tap the keg byself... not an easy task

woemad, Whyteboar, Roguer and 6 others like this.
  16. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

[​IMG]

woemad, Whyteboar, Dimidiata and 4 others like this.
  17. snaotheus

Society Trader

But is it an enjoyable one?

I haven't had Allagash White in years!

woemad, Whyteboar, ovaltine and 2 others like this.
  18. jonphisher

Society Trader

I’m contemplating drinking a semi high abv tonight just for you Ryan :slight_smile::beers:

woemad, Whyteboar, ovaltine and 3 others like this.
  19. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Poo-Bah (1,997) Apr 21, 2014 Canada (ON)
    Society Trader

Thanks fellows.

I got some pictures to take and someone to thank. I’ll take a few minutes later tonight do so.

Beersnake1, woemad, Whyteboar and 6 others like this.
  20. snaotheus

Society Trader

[​IMG]
    @FBarber just needs to drink like it's Tuesday...on Thursday

21. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

YES.

[​IMG]

22. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

I need to drop my in-laws off at the airport, but it might be time to crack either that Bottle Logic stout that @2beerdogs sent me or the Kane barrel aged stout @jonphisher sent ... or both! :grin:

23. jonphisher

Society Trader

I would seriously advise against it but....

[​IMG]

24. Roy_Hobbs

Roy_Hobbs Meyvn (1,302) Jan 21, 2017 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Let New Beer Thursday begin.
    First up is a beer I received from @Roguer a few BIFs ago (#12 maybe)? It's Saporous from Three Taverns Brewery in Decatur, GA, and it's quite tasty.
    [​IMG]
    Appearance is a murky yellow with plenty of fizzy white head that dissipated quickly. Aroma is exactly what I would expect from a "passion fruit and guava lactose sour ale". I'm getting more guava than passion fruit, but then again it's possible I don't know the difference! The lactose seems to be lending some sweetness to the aroma. No funk to speak of.

Taste very much follows the nose & description. The lactose is a little more subdued than on the nose but the guava still leads. Pleasantly tart without being over the top. Easy going down.

Overall this is well done. I find many brewers go over the top with this type of beer, but that's not the case here. Tasty and quite enjoyable.

25. snaotheus

Society Trader

You are an inspiration, sir. I hope to join you later, but I have a two hour meeting starting in a few minutes. :slight_smile:

26. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

I'll be here in a couple hours ...

27. Roy_Hobbs

Society Trader

Well, that first one went down way too easily. I've now moved onto an 8.45 oz can of Frogichlaus that's cute as a button. I'm drinking this courtesy of @Ozzylizard who hit me up in this BIF with not only an amazing quantity of beers, but quality that's top class. Bob knows how to do it right.

Hoppin' Frog - BA Frogichlaus Swiss-style celebration ale clocking in at 14.1% (note that I'm still doing work as I type this, which may be a questionable decision).
    [​IMG]
    Cola brown on the pour. Settles into the glass with a rich, deep brown. Minimal head. Aroma is toffee, caramel, brown sugar, and overall sweet goodness. Very appealing on the nose.

Taste is similarly excellent. Loads of toffee and caramel. Sweet, but not overly so. There's a little bit of bite from the barrel on the back-end that rounds things out well. Very full mouthfeel. Overall, very good beer.

28. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (7,318) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Moderator Society Trader

Their fruited sours are not amazing, but they're very tasty and super drinkable. I enjoyed sharing that brewery when I lived down there (but I enjoy living up here again so much more).

29. Roy_Hobbs

Society Trader

I'm usually a slow drinker, but that one went down incredibly quickly, which tells you something.

Side note, I can't blame you for preferring up here, especially at this time of year.

Side note #2....I really, really, really don't need more beer, but did you see the bottle lineup that Fox Farm has right now? I've been trying to resist, but the barleywine they just released (description below) might break my resolve.

From FF website
    In late-2019 / early-2020 we found time and space to fill additional barrels with barleywine with an uncertain path. We often treat our high-gravity, clean barrel program (while much smaller) like our mixed fermentation barrel program - filling oak with intention but without a singular outcome in mind. Instead, we prefer to let the barrels reveal their course in time. After a year, we identified four bourbon barrels from that previous winter that had the character and complexity making them particularly well-suited for extended aging. At that time, we were taking receipt of a variety of specialty barrels from Europe and after having a chance to evaluate the lot, picked out a pair of beautiful 20-year Cognac puncheons to continue aging the blend. After another year, Requiem No. 1 was bottled in March 2022.

30. jonphisher

Society Trader

The first sip of this beer had me say “oh man” out loud, this is gooooood.

Happy New Beer Thursday…this one is for you @snaotheus courtesy of @ovaltine

Bare Hands - Phantom Ships & Seas

[​IMG]

Pitch black, slow and quiet viscous pour, slow and dense forming light brown head; settles to a see through layer of same creamy light brown. Swirling around that creamy head clings to the glass and oh so slowly goes back down. A beautiful beer.

At first smell there is a noticeable dark fruit note and some hops; followed up by some wafer like chocolate.

Ok here is where this beer really steps apart; there is the same dark fruit and hops in the taste. Then with no indication from the nose an insanely rich creamy dark dark chocolate taste that lingers. Couple with the dark fruit it’s almost verging on like chocolate cherries. The hops again come back in the finish.

Big body, viscous, low smooth and creamy carbonation with a very appropriate nice kiss of bitterness on the finish.

This beer is very tasty. Thanks for sharing Mike.

beergoot, woemad, JayORear and 10 others like this.
  31. jonphisher

Society Trader

Assuming it’s virtual, don’t you have a yeti or something…:wink:

32. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (7,318) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Moderator Society Trader

I may make a trip there very soon specifically because of Requiem No. 1. It sounds amazing. Not sure I can muster the energy; I've been putting off a visit to Barreled Souls for almost a month now, but work has been just too much right now.

And yeah, New England (CT specifically) is my adopted home, but even if I stayed in the "South," I sure as shit would not stay in Georgia - any time of year. :stuck_out_tongue:

33. snaotheus

Society Trader

I WOULD NEVER

do that with a BIF beer, I want to focus on the beer (and be able to see it)!

34. Whyteboar

Society Trader

For NBT

[​IMG]

Sent to me by @Roguer as part of NBW BIF #15 shenanigans.
    Poured orange amber with a three finger manilla colored head and very active carbonation.
    Aroma was muted for my damaged nose but vinegar was detected. Curious.
    Okay, the first sip had me expecting cognac but I got none. Tart, almost vinegar like but not. Pears and honey nuances playing along and plenty of funk. Tart is what drives this train though.
    Feel was perfectly appropriate for the flavors, not viscous but not thin either. It has presence.
    Really enjoyed this, thanks @Roguer !

#3834 Whyteboar, Jun 3, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
  35. Whyteboar

Society Trader

Please don’t feel badly for family needing you. Do what you need to, we’ll be waiting.

36. WunderLlama

WunderLlama Poo-Bah (3,716) Dec 27, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Second Son by Mason Ale works

4.23/5 rDev -0.2%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

[​IMG]

Can received in Bif15 from
    @Beersnake1, new brewery for me

Brewers Notes: 50% BA Baracus Barleywine / 50% Barrel Aged Cash Imperial Stout. Aged in Cutwater Whiskey barrels.

Refrigerator chilled, poured into a smog city snifter, dark color liquid with a solid one finger Brown foam cap recedes quickly to a solid pencil thick layer, thin lacings

Aroma is bourbon whiskey , roast malts , dark fruits, tobacco

Taste is bourbon, dark fruits , Roast malts , leather, figs

Boozy, dry finish , quenching

Good beer

beergoot, Roguer, Roy_Hobbs and 9 others like this.
  37. Whyteboar

Society Trader

I think he sent me one of those too, maybe for NBF?

38. snaotheus

Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Happy to partake in New BIF Beer Thursday! I set my first mole trap of the summer, my wife and I are prepping for our cabin weekend that starts tomorrow, and I'm using a charcuterie board my brother made as a backdrop.

Dovetail - Maibock

16oz can served in a footed pilsner glass. Dated 4/13/22. Received from @ovaltine in NBS BIF #14 or #15 activities.

Pours a mostly clear orange-gold with a fairly large head that settles to a very meager ring and a very light skin, but with tons of carbonation. Smell is rich lager yeast, lemon, and a slight spiciness that at first made me think of ginger. Clean, fresh cut grass as well.

Taste is rich, malty, a little bit of an earthy/woodiness, grainy sweetness with a little honeysuckle. Bitterness builds up a little bit, almost a nutty characteristic.

Mouthfeel is medium, rather still, which seems strange based on the visible carbonation. Overall, very nice beer.

beergoot, Roguer, Whyteboar and 6 others like this.
  39. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (4,415) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

I was hoping to lift one of my last BIF beers (I'm holding back that Westy until a side-by-side bottle share with St. Bernardus Abt 12 can take place), but I may be baling water from my apartment again sometime in the wee hours. Heavy rain is forecast for overnight and tomorrow, and I just found out repair work to fix what caused my apartment to be flooded by a backed up sewer last week has been hung up on a bureaucratic snafu: the problem is actually in the sewer line in the street, not in the pipe exiting the building, and the city is saying it's NOT THEIR LINE. Apparently, in the early 1900s, private companies acting on god knows whose authority put in sewers on parts of the South Hill, and, so, the city of Spokane, despite having allowed this apparently private sewer line to attach to the city's system, and happily taking payments for the use of the sewer system, is denying responsibility for repairs. They're also being evasive about whether anyone ELSE can do the work.

So I'm not going to be joining y'all in a Thursday night New BIF Beer because I'm thinking I may have to stay up all night to monitor my bathroom and make sure I can report any ominous bubbling early enough that hopefully a plumber can unclog any backup.

beergoot, Roguer, Dimidiata and 9 others like this.
  40. snaotheus

Society Trader

No Backup Thursday FTW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.