NBS BIF #16 Hints and Hauls: Sweet Sixteen - Teenage Lust Tastes Like Creamed Corn and Rolling Rock

Discussion in 'Beer It Forward' started by Roguer, Oct 10, 2022.

1. woemad

woemad (1,573) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

Also a great book. Hornfischer's death was a helluva loss.

2. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 (1,683) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Moderator Society Trader

Sorry to hear about everything that has been going on. I hope things are turning in a positive direction. I hope you all have a great Thanksgiving!

3. Beersnake1

Moderator Society Trader

Glad you liked this one! I haven't actually tried it, but I have a can waiting for me. It was recommended by another BA a while back. Cheers!

4. Beersnake1

Moderator Society Trader

YES! I'm actually serious. A friend and I would like to make plans to go. I lived in southern Germany for a year, but never made it over to Munich.

5. Beersnake1

Moderator Society Trader

Everyone should vote soon - it sounds like the current point system will disappear this week!

6. Beersnake1

Moderator Society Trader

Is it north of Greenville, South Carolina?

7. WunderLlama

WunderLlama (1,329) Dec 27, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Yes

8. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt (1,880) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Well, it uses the points as of last Sunday, so that number won't change. But, there's only 3 guesses so far.

9. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Housekeeping for my Karma LIF:

Superllama: 13,988
    wrOngltine: 12,809.8
    BigaluminumH: 17090.6

10. Beersnake1

Moderator Society Trader

11. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Mine is very simple and is a true lottery. I have taken 5 names from this BIF, including my own, and totaled up the beer karma points, (as of 10:30am, Pacific time today 11/20) then divided by 5 to come up with a number.

Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to guess that Average number including the digit after the decimal. TPIR rules, be closest without going over. You have until the close of NBS next week (11/27) to get your entry in. 1 guess per entrant.

Your only clue is that all 5 BIF members have a minimum of 1,000 beer karma points.

beergoot, 2beerdogs, BigIronH and 6 others like this.
  12. Beersnake1

Moderator Society Trader

Aren't these all impossible guesses? It doesn't look like the average could be higher than 5,000. Just wanted to clarify!

beergoot, superspak, BigIronH and 7 others like this.
  13. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Housekeeping for my Karma LIF:
    Beergarter1: 4500.2 (which, since I'm going with an average, and all 5 numbers are at least 1000........)
    Superllama: 13,988
    wrOngltine: 12,809.8
    BigaluminumH: 17090.6

beergoot, superspak, BigIronH and 6 others like this.
  14. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Well, if all 5 numbers are 1000, the total would be 5000. 5000 divided by 5 would be 1000, right? But since we know that my karma is almost 10,000, adding the other 4000 puts us at 14,000, as a minimum number to divide by 5. The hard part is in figuring out how far over 1000 the 4 unknown components are. For example, @superspak has over 25,000 points, and if he's one of the 4, that would really bump up the number.

15. Coronaeus

Coronaeus (1,181) Apr 21, 2014 Canada (ON)
    Society Trader

I’d like to report an international assault. And I’m not even participating! The nerve…

The excellent Mr @jonphisher has sent me the following:

Tonewood Focal Point Czech Pilsner
    Tonewood Dread Nought Dunkel
    Tonewood Blipstream English Mild
    Kane Drift Line Oatmeal Brown
    Maine Lunch IPA
    Sierra Nevada Celebration IPA
    Slack Tide Knockdown Black IPA.
    Human Robot Mug (love it!).

[​IMG]

Many thanks Jon. I’m looking forward to the lot, particularly those two classics that have always eluded me here in the Great White North! Lunch and Celebration.

Cheers my friend!

16. snaotheus

snaotheus (1,768) Oct 6, 2008 Washington
    Society Trader

@jonphisher
    Is that an undersized dimpled mug? I just saw one of those for the first time at a brewery in Tokyo, it was adorable and I brought one home for my wife.

kemoarps, beergoot, superspak and 9 others like this.
  17. Coronaeus

Society Trader

It is indeed @snaotheus . Looks like about 1/2 to 2/3s the size of the regular ones.

kemoarps, beergoot, BigIronH and 8 others like this.
  18. jonphisher

jonphisher (944) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Yes it is! It is a 0.3 L mug, I drank from one and loved it. I always thought the 0.5 L ones were a little too big, especially for a can pour. I love drinking out of the small one and replenish with the rest of the can about half way through.

You got one for your wife, I got one for Peter...:grin:

kemoarps, beergoot, BigIronH and 9 others like this.
  19. jonphisher

jonphisher (944) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Two business days ain't bad at all, I knew I had to send Lunch when I found it under 3 weeks (at time of purchase). Blipstream just returned, newly can conditioned for closer cask feel. I can report that the results are very very good; I know you are a fan of english styles so I had to include it. @Dimidiata I would've sent your way to but your box went out before it returned :cry: Drift Line is one of the beers Kane has continued to brew annually the longest, since the years they opened up, it is a great american (slightly hoppy, but not overly so) brown ale. I could live off those three Tonewood beers the rest of my life and be happy.

I held on to that mug since summer, love mine so much, wanted to spread the joy.

Some more boxes will be going out over the next few weeks, if anyone wants some...

kemoarps, beergoot, BigIronH and 10 others like this.
  20. Coronaeus

Society Trader

UPS has been excellent of late. 2-3 days from all over the US to my door.

Really looking forward to all of it.

kemoarps, beergoot, BigIronH and 9 others like this.
  21. Whyteboar

Whyteboar (933) Jun 7, 2008 Michigan
    Society Trader

Okay, throwing out a wild guess:

Cheers from Dickson TN all!

22. Whyteboar

Whyteboar (933) Jun 7, 2008 Michigan
    Society Trader

I found one of those at the charity shop I volunteer at. It’s fun to use for for 12 oz servings.

kemoarps, beergoot, BigIronH and 8 others like this.
  23. WunderLlama

Society Trader

Wayfinder Fortuna

3.92/5 rDev -2.2%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

[​IMG]
    Another new brewery courtesy of @Beersnake1 in bif16

Wayfinder provides some clever insights on their can

“ save the earth, it’s the only planet we have with beer “

“ instructions 1) open 2) drink”
    “Mysteriously delicious beer”

A Düsseldorf specialty, an Altbier is a German-style Brown Ale. The word alt” literally translates to "old" in German, and traditionally Altbiers are conditioned for a longer than normal periods of time. Other sources note that "alt" is derived from the Latin word "altus," which means "high" and refers to the rising yeast. Take your pick, but the extended conditioning mellows out this ale's fruitiness and produces an exceptionally smooth, clean, and delicate brew. Its color ranges from amber to dark brown, carbonation is moderate, and while known to express the slightly spicy, herbal character of Noble hops, the key word here is balance. A stronger version brewed less frequently, "Sticke Alt" is a maltier and hoppier take on the Altbier.

Poured into a stange , the pour produces a clear copper brown liquid with a fluffy two finger off white foam cap

Aroma is malty, earthy , hint of spice

Taste us earthy, malty , slight bitter snap on the finish

Sudsy, light mouthfeel

Good beer

#1903 WunderLlama, Nov 23, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
  24. foundersasap

foundersasap (711) Feb 2, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

Enjoying this one, very nice tartness, sour cherries, grapes, red wine, little funky, thanks @Roy_Hobbs happy Thanksgiving to all
    [​IMG]

25. woemad

Society Trader

Nice. I love a good Alt.

26. ovaltine

ovaltine (1,459) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

No, my guess is the maximum it could be. @superspak alone has beer karma of 25,463. The guesses from @WunderLlama and @BigIronH are impossible.

27. Coronaeus

Society Trader

I decided to jump right into the box received today from @jonphisher.

First up, Kane Drift Line Oatmeal Brown Ale. I haven’t had a good brown ale in a while, so was eager to crack it open.

[​IMG]

Pours a dark, slightly red-ish brown with a moderate head that dissipates slowly to leave a light uneven film on the top of the beer.

The nose starts with a nice chocolate quality. Toasted grains and a little herbal note follow.

Brown bread, cocoa, with a firm bitter finish.

Body is moderate with a light creamy character. Enjoyable.

This is a great beer. It’s hard to find a good brown ale in my neck of the woods. I can think of only one or two old stalwarts. So, it’s nice to be able to enjoy this one from further afield.

Thanks Jon. I quite liked this one. Cheers!

28. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard (1,578) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I spent nine months in Bavaria as a guest of the Murican government. Since then I've been back five times, twice with Mrs. Lizard and thrice on beer vacations. Hopefully, I'll get back next year again.

29. Ozzylizard

Society Trader

I've never made O-fest, but it sounds 'way too crowded and loud for my tastes. There are many smaller local festivals where you can hang with the drunken locals rather than the drunken tourists and probably make it back to your hotel alive.

30. Ozzylizard

Society Trader

Haven't hit any of Hornfischer's stuff yet (but he's on my list) but I can highly recommend Ian W. Toll's trilogy on the Pacific War and C. Van Woodward's "The Battle for Leyte Gulf".

31. Ozzylizard

Society Trader

Hokay, I'm in. 1567.4

32. Ozzylizard

Society Trader

Nice hit Jon - that'll keep the mounties checking packages!

33. woemad

Society Trader

Ian Toll's work is also excellent. Have you read his Six Frigates?

beergoot, Whyteboar, ovaltine and 8 others like this.
  34. Ozzylizard

Society Trader

Not yet - so many books, so little time!

kemoarps, beergoot, Whyteboar and 8 others like this.
  35. woemad

Society Trader

I hear you. I have the habit of reading several different books at a time. Just picked up one from the library about the US military intervention in Siberia in 1919, when the men of the regiment known as "Detroit's Own" were dumped at Archangel with basically no clear idea why they were there and what they were meant to do.

36. Beersnake1

Moderator Society Trader

Yep, that makes sense. I hadn't considered the monstrous karma of @superspak !!

37. BigIronH

BigIronH (1,156) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

Yeah….that was bad reading on my part. I was thinking of it as the average of the 5 scores.

38. beergoot

beergoot (1,894) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

...I've been to Munich before, even Oktoberfest, but, true story, I never had a beer at Oktoberfest...something about the big crowds and all...that would change now...but I did have plenty of beer on the train ride down to Munich...

39. WunderLlama

Society Trader

Preparing to get farctated , gobble till you wobble

[​IMG]

pre game watching the lions and the bills

bdcs 2022 courtesy of @russpowell

40. BigIronH

BigIronH (1,156) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

[​IMG] Polishing off my last glass of Verdance Grisette from Terry @BBThunderbolt. Enjoy the day everyone! Cheers.