NBS BIF #16 Hints and Hauls: Sweet Sixteen - Teenage Lust Tastes Like Creamed Corn and Rolling Rock

Discussion in 'Beer It Forward' started by Roguer, Oct 10, 2022.

1. WunderLlama

WunderLlama (1,329) Dec 27, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

After consulting with the VAR , I can confirm that this score is correct ! @beergoot , you win!

DM me your shipping info

[​IMG]

2. woemad

woemad (1,573) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

Thus far, it is looking unlikely that any new beers for @ovaltine will be acquired on my weekend visit to the parental Palace, but a couple of new food items have been acquired.

3. beergoot

beergoot (1,894) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

...I wasn't sure about Living Waters since they didn't explicitly mention a tap room, but between a few Google pictures and the fact they they also served coffee, it seemed like a likely guess...

4. WunderLlama

Society Trader

Beats is infinite by Monkish

4.32/5 rDev -3.4%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Can received from @beersnake1in bif16 as a result of an LIF associated with that event

[​IMG]

Nervously watching Germany and Spain battle each other in the World Cup

Brewers notes: Monk Double IPA showcasing Galaxy hops.

[​IMG]

Poured into an antique Germania Pilsener Wiesbaden stemmed glass

Hazy pale orange , creamy one finger off white foam cap, good retention, cloaking lacings

Aroma is tropical , passion fruit, orange citrus

Taste is tropical , passion fruit, whisper of peach

Mouthfeel is silky smooth , creamy …wondering if they are using oats

2 for 2, really enjoying this brewery , thanks @Beersnake1

[​IMG]

#1964 WunderLlama, Nov 27, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
    russpowell, kemoarps, woemad and 11 others like this.
  5. beergoot

Society Trader

...Ok...I suggested I'd do a LIF and since I won one today, I may as return the favor...

...this one is relatively simple: I'll ask a series of Ohio-based questions (primarily movies, books, and farming topics). Points will be awarded to the first three people to answer each question correctly (3 points to the person with the first correct answer, 2 points to the next person to answer correctly, 1 point to the third person to answer correctly). The first person to earn 15 or more points wins. I will not reveal the answers or who answered the questions until after the winner is determined but I will post periodic point summaries as things progress....

So, the first question: who was the Ohio author to first win the Pulitzer Prize for fiction?

#1965 beergoot, Nov 27, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
    Coronaeus, kemoarps, woemad and 7 others like this.
  6. ovaltine

ovaltine (1,459) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

Louis Bromfield

Coronaeus, woemad, Dimidiata and 5 others like this.
  7. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 (1,319) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    I like this beer, but yet I was 11% off the average. Maybe I'm getting jaded in my old age. Thanks to the generosity of @Beersnake1 for this beer.

8. WunderLlama

Society Trader

Seconding Louis Bromfield

Coronaeus, woemad, Beersnake1 and 7 others like this.
  9. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 (1,683) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Moderator Society Trader

Third for Louis Bromfield @beergoot

Coronaeus, woemad, Dimidiata and 7 others like this.
  10. Whyteboar

Whyteboar (933) Jun 7, 2008 Michigan
    Society Trader

Forth for ol’ Louie

Coronaeus, BigIronH, woemad and 7 others like this.
  11. superspak

superspak (2,159) May 5, 2010 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Finally got back from an amazing holiday week with family and talked to my gf patents for the first real time that meant anything to me. So now I am home again after being in Cleveland all week.

NBS BIF#16 started from @Ozzylizard . 5 Stones Shepard Boy. Lightly hazy/cloudy golden appearance. Great head retention and spotty soapy lacing on the glass. Aromas are big and juicy with normal Citra notes of tangerine, grapefruit, passion fruit, berries, pine, cracker malt, herbal/floral/grassy hops. A bit of yeast ester earthiness. Very vibrant, juicy, and dank nose. Taste follows with big grapefruit, orange peel/rind, passion fruit, wood, mint, berries, peppercorn, pine, cracker, bread, herbal, floral, grass, and yeast earthiness. Large sized pine/woody/rind bitter finish. Medium carb and body. Balanced bready/grainy malts and sticky/resinous/oily hops on the finish. A bit crisp on lingering resins with mild hop astringency. Good level of aggressiveness for a pale ale. Advertises citra hops as DDH, but the palate character does show a strong feel of Columbus hops mostly as well. Taste leans more toward earthy pine and woody resins. Certainly smells fresh to me. A very west coast style hazy. If you like them that way. Always love classic C hops as well. 4.22
    [​IMG]

Cheers

12. beergoot

Society Trader

LIF #2 question: Louis Bromfield was best man for what famous Hollywood couple in 1945?

Coronaeus, woemad, Beersnake1 and 6 others like this.
  13. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt (1,880) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Laurel & Hardy?

Whyteboar, Coronaeus, woemad and 7 others like this.
  14. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Update on my LIF: I left the paper with the names and numbers at work. I should be getting released this afternoon, and will grab the data, and announce the winner.

Coronaeus, kemoarps, woemad and 10 others like this.
  15. BigIronH

BigIronH (1,156) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall

Coronaeus, woemad, Beersnake1 and 7 others like this.
  16. foundersasap

foundersasap (711) Feb 2, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

This is probably the best brown ale I’ve had, boarders on a porter, rich,complex, tons of coffee, chocolate, malty goodness! Thanks @Roy_Hobbs
    [​IMG]

17. ovaltine

Society Trader

Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall.

Coronaeus, woemad, Beersnake1 and 6 others like this.
  18. beergoot

Society Trader

...still a point available for the LIF #2 question, but moving along to Question #3:

...in the movie Shawshank Redemption (filmed at the Mansfield, Ohio reformatory), what specific beer brand did the rooftop tarring crew drink courtesy of Andy?...

19. Dimidiata

Dimidiata (365) Jul 14, 2017 California
    Trader

As a member of the Untappd Reality Czeck Loyal Drinkers club (as seen below, i'm the German Shepherd in 8th place, and yes, I know everyone in the top 12 and have drank beer with 11 of them), I'd like to file an official complaint. Hopefully you got a freshie, it's really a delightful beer. I *guess* I can forgive you, perhaps you were having an off night.

[​IMG]

20. Dimidiata

Dimidiata (365) Jul 14, 2017 California
    Trader

Just had a delightful beer courtesy of @jonphisher !

[​IMG]

Tonewood Brewing Dreadnought Dunkel - Munich dunkel - 4.8% abv

Pours a slightly hazy reddish brown, soapy off-white head. Aromas of toasted bread, nuts, caramel, bit of spice. Flavor is everything the aroma promises and more with some dark fruitiness. Super smooth and relatively light bodied.

Overall this was a very easy drinker with great flavor. Thanks, Jon!

21. Beersnake1

Moderator Society Trader

Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall.

22. Beersnake1

Moderator Society Trader

Stroh's

23. Beersnake1

Moderator Society Trader

Wow, that's dedication!! It is a really great beer!

Coronaeus, kemoarps, ovaltine and 8 others like this.
  24. woemad

Society Trader

Thanks to @Roguer for this.

Hitting a long neglected mystery beer now that I'm finally back at home from a weekend at my folks' place, a three hour drive home, and then a ten hour shift where temperatures went from around freezing to our current 12°.

Serving was a roughly 16oz bottle with a cork hidden under a bottle cap:
    [​IMG]

Poured into a Precious Things teku, this was a cloudy apricot amber color, with a good sized sudsy off-white head that dropped within a couple minutes to a thin ring. I'm thinking a FF sour like the other mystery beer.
    [​IMG]
    That impression was confirmed by the tired and cold workers at my olfactory. But what kind of sour? I get peaches and lychee in the nose, along with a bretty funk.

Taste goes with the impression I got from the nose. This is seeming like some sort of fruited wild ale.

Fairly light and crisp mouth feel.

Kinda reminds me of a Gewurtstraminer, at least a little. I wouldn't be surprised to find out it's something that was wine barrel aged.

And the reveal...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm guessing that no fruit was used, as none is mentioned. I must have picked up on the flavor left in the barrels from the wine and imagined it was from fruit, which I suppose it was, just not in the way I thought. Delicious as a nightcap on this bitterly cold night.

Incidentally, like he did with his other mystery beer to me, @Roguer hand drew a beer-centric mockery of a Porcupine Tree album cover, in this case Fear of a Blank Planet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. BigIronH

Society Trader

Stroh’s

26. Victory_Sabre1973

Society Trader

I would have to agree, I also thought it was a great beer. I did my best to give it an honest rating. Maybe I was off Sunday? Who knows.

27. Roy_Hobbs

Roy_Hobbs (882) Jan 21, 2017 Connecticut
    Society Trader

While there's always a possibility that some batches are "off" relative to the norm, I always find it interesting how time / place / other factors can influence how I feel about a beer. Sometimes I'll revisit a beer I haven't had in a while and go and look how I rated it originally and realize that even though it's the same beer, I had a completely different impression (sometimes better, sometimes worse) the first time.

Coronaeus, kemoarps, beergoot and 8 others like this.
  28. Whyteboar

Whyteboar (933) Jun 7, 2008 Michigan
    Society Trader

I find this on a regular basis, and it seems compounded if you are drinking several side by side, like in our monthly SANs. A given stout may be meh in the group, but I have one later as a standalone and it's quite a different experience.

Coronaeus, kemoarps, beergoot and 7 others like this.
  29. ovaltine

Society Trader

Stroh’s.

30. kemoarps

kemoarps (1,173) Apr 30, 2008 Washington
    Society Trader

Oh, man.
    So, as I mentioned in the NBW thread, we've done a bunch of driving recently. The car has thankfully been up for it, and the baby likes car rides overall (though she sometimes gets lonely in the back seat!). We returned from Northern California last night and had a surprise waiting for us! Yes, there was snow, but there was also a package from Southern California!

[​IMG]

@2beerdogs teased me through the hints portion of this here party, and this box proves that my initial guess regarding my sender wasn't 100% inaccurate! He may not have actually been a participant, but that doesn't mean he couldn't be a sender!

[​IMG]

Little did I know, my Fresh Hop season wasn't actually over!

Kern River Brewing Co:
    x2 stickers
    onesie for little Juniper
    Wet Exit wet hop IPA (@BBThunderbolt, care to carry that particular 'debate' over to this thread?)
    Camp Nelson IPA
    Just Outstanding IPA
    Citra Double IPA

Radiant Beer Co:
    Oh, Hey Again pilsner in collaboration with Moksa
    Happens All the Time IPA with Highland Park

Game Craft Brewing:
    Baltasars Weihnachstbier schwarzbier with additives
    WASD IPL

Bruery - Ruekeller helles
    Firestone Walker - Parabolita (Salted Caramel) BA Stout
    Beachwood - Simcoast to Coast
    La Cumbre - Elevated IPA
    Pizza Port - Scenic Loop IPA
    Madewest - Short-Lived Thiol-boosted(?) IPA with Fieldwork

Thank you Derek! Even while caught in the midst of some real-life challenges, he still finds a way to express his generosity and share an exciting blend of SoCal breweries and brews, some with names I recognize and look forward to with excitement, and some I've never heard of before which I look forward with excitement to learning about!
    Now I've got the country in my fridge, coast to coast, with the last few awesome New England goodies left over from Maynard's incredible boxes joined by this Californian haul... north east, south west all up here in the pacific northwest. I'm a fortunate man.
    Thank you!!

#1990 kemoarps, Nov 29, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
  31. Roy_Hobbs

Society Trader

Well done @2beerdogs. Great box, and love the onesie. Does it come in adult sizes? Asking for a friend.

32. woemad

Society Trader

Wow. That is a an incredible porch strike, @2beerdogs!

33. Roy_Hobbs

Society Trader

Exhausted from watching the USMNT game earlier this afternoon. Now it's time to catch up on emails while enjoying this beer from @Coronaeus. Very good beer. Aroma is excellent, and the malts and bready notes taste great. Thanks, Peter!
    [​IMG]

34. Victory_Sabre1973

Society Trader

35. BigIronH

Society Trader

36. WunderLlama

Society Trader

Old combine 4 grain lager by moonlight brewing
    [​IMG]

3.93/5 rDev -0.5%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Can received in a Lif associated in Bif16 from @Beersnake1

Brewers notes: Oats, rye, wheat and barley give this lager an unusually rich and intriguing mouthfeel. Just the perfect zing of hops brings these grains to vibrancy!

American lager has little in the way of hop and malt character. A straw to gold, very clean and crisp, highly carbonated lager. Hop aroma and flavor are low to medium-low, deriving from noble-type hops. Hop bitterness is medium. Toasted, biscuit-like, and/or bready malt flavors along with low levels of fermented-malt-derived sulfur compounds may be evident.

Canned on 10.5, opened 11.29

Creamy , fluffy , long lasting off white frothy cap lazily lingers over a clear golden liquid with numerous carbonation streams . Very good retention , spotty lacings, settles to a thin layer

Aroma is spicy, malty , grains

Taste is malty, rye, spicy notes , the rye seems to dominate , biscuity

Sudsy mouthfeel , hop nibble on the finish

Good beer

37. beergoot

Society Trader

... @2beerdogs -- he's a righteous dude...

38. beergoot

Society Trader

...my LIF is moving along nice and slowly, but here are the current standings (the first to reach 15 points wins):
    ...I should give some sort of credit to @BBThunderbolt for his answer of 'Laurel and Hardy' for the question about which famous Hollywood couple did Louis Bromfield stand in as 'best man', but I'm rather stumped at the moment...

...fourth question to come later this evening or sometime tomorrow...a movie, ballistics, or dog question - decisions, decisions, decisions...

39. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

OK folks, open a beer, and listen to a story: last Wednesday was my birthday, and, as one might expect, some beer was consumed. I stopped by7-11 for some snacks and cold drinks. There was a dude in there, who kept hollering at me to stop looking at him. I hadn't been looking at him. He left, I paid for my shit and went to leave. He was waiting on the sidewalk, and charged me. I booped him in the snoot, not even hard enough to give him a bloody nose, and walked away.

Next thing I know, I'm on my ass, cuz this fucker drove his Subaru up the sidewalk and hit me. He drives away, and I'm so jacked on adrenaline, I pick up my shit, walk back to 7-11 and start hollering at the fuckers to call the cops, and go through their sales to find the guys name. Someone asked if I wanted an ambulance. No, I can still walk. What about the blood? What blood? I look down and the front of shirt is soaked. Fuck it, I'll patch it at home, get the cops. Bambulance shows, and after some discussion, talks me in taking the ride.

I must have landed on a stick, cuz I had a puncture that took 12 internal stitches, and 5 external. Oh yeah, MRI showed a fractured T-10 vertebrae. Just got home an hour ago. I'll close out that LIF when I get the chance.

Cheers all!

russpowell, Roguer, kemoarps and 14 others like this.
  40. Beersnake1

Moderator Society Trader

What the holy hell? So sorry to hear about that. That's is the worst birthday in the history of birthdays. Did they find the guy?