NBS BIF #16 Hints and Hauls: Sweet Sixteen - Teenage Lust Tastes Like Creamed Corn and Rolling Rock

Discussion in 'Beer It Forward' started by Roguer, Oct 10, 2022.

1. Whyteboar

Whyteboar Meyvn (1,428) Jun 7, 2008 Michigan
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

Received from @Victory_Sabre1973 in NBW BIF #16 and finally getting to drink it.
    Poured deep amber with very little manilla colored head and no lacing.
    Tis the nature of barrel aged beer I guess.
    The aroma was strong enough for me to smell and that’s saying something. Nice malts and a touch of bourbon seemed to be what I was getting.
    The taste, whoa- rather like a concentrated Festbier than a BA one. All the flavors, just more intense. Sweet malts, a touch of biscuits and a little spice, nicely balanced.
    I let some warm up a little to see what happens and that’s when the bourbon showed up. It’s not bad, but the balance version when it was cold was better.
    The feel was more viscous than a typical Festbier, but that’s to be expected. Still easy quaffing.
    OA, tasty beer, glad I got to try it!
    Thanks!

2. Roy_Hobbs

Roy_Hobbs Meyvn (1,304) Jan 21, 2017 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Had to make way in the fridge for the the latest @foundersasap box by drinking this beer also courtesy of Jeff. Beautiful beer with amazing raspberry aroma. Earthy funk along with the raspberry makes this one really tasty. @ovaltine you would like this.
    [​IMG]

3. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (10,026) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

In the "Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the theatre?" Department, I actually had a pretty chill day. Went down to Mt. Vernon to a favorite pub, and had an Elk Burger and 3 beers. Stopped at a small work wear shop and scored a couple pairs of Carharrt's that I couldn't find in my size and style here in town (and, dude gave me a discount too). Walked along the Skagit River for a bit, stopped at a couple breweries (where my friend Justin joined me at Skagit River Brewing), caught the bus back to Bham. had a couple Bday brews with coworkers/friends. And rolled home.

If only I hadn't stopped at 7-11 for cold drinks and snacks......

4. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

The Finger Lakes of NY, especially around Penn Yan on Keuka Lake, has a notable population as well.

5. BigIronH

BigIronH Poo-Bah (1,934) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

I always knew you were a man of style and taste.

6. jonphisher

jonphisher Poo-Bah (1,526) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Hey @BBThunderbolt I saw my local store has two, yes two pickle beers available. This may be just what you need to fully heal…:wink:

Just kidding of course but it made me think of you and our pst convos on here. Hope today was a little better than the last :beers:

7. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (4,394) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Moderator Society Trader

Sounds like a really interesting beer!

Roy_Hobbs, kemoarps, BigIronH and 6 others like this.
  8. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (9,206) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

LIF #5 question (more like 'name that tune' vice a question): name the Godsmack music video filmed at the Mansfield Ohio State Reformatory.

...and by my count:

9. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (4,553) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

Awake.

10. Beersnake1

Moderator Society Trader

Awake

11. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (4,415) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

I'm honestly not sure I know any Godsmack songs.

12. beergoot

Society Trader

...other than being familiar with the band name, I really don't know anything about their music (other than the Mansfield connection)...

13. BigIronH

Society Trader

14. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Poo-Bah (1,997) Apr 21, 2014 Canada (ON)
    Society Trader

15. Beersnake1

Moderator Society Trader

I'm in! Partners? That's where several of my siblings were born! I mean Whitby, not the brewery.

Whyteboar, woemad, snaotheus and 9 others like this.
  16. Dimidiata

Dimidiata Initiate (151) Jul 14, 2017 California
    Trader

Opened this the other night, from @jonphisher ...

[​IMG]

This was a crazy beer. I've had a few black ipas, and they are usually not terribly exciting and a bit weird. This one was an in-your-face hopmonster. Appearance was lovely, and confusing as soon as you got within a few feet of the glass because the hop aroma was intense. Seriously, this thing was the hoppiest smelling beer I've been around in a very long time, even compared to the fresh hop stuff I had in Portland. Strong aromas of pine, resin, grassy, green things, bit of citrus. The smell was overwhelming. On having a sip, yeah, this is like licking some hop flowers while the roasty malts quietly cried in the corner.

I was expecting a boring mildly hoppy beer with a roasty finish, and instead I got beat to death with hop bines. Thanks for the experience, Jon!

beergoot, Whyteboar, woemad and 12 others like this.
  17. kemoarps

kemoarps Poo-Bah (2,358) Apr 30, 2008 Washington
    Society Trader

Up until recently, yes I did. :cry:
    RIP Parker Olive aka Polly aka road trip friend.
    She died BEFORE Terry's little adventure. I have an alibi!

Weirdly, at least in Seattle, there's a lot of Porsche's as well. Specifically the Porsche SUVs. I don't understand it. I mean, it's probably a bunch of young folks who got rich working at Amazon and thought 'that's a fancy car brand I recognize from when I was a kid!' but still, there's such better options, especially at what I imagine is Porsche's price point. But I also have generally been more pragmatic when it comes to my vehicles, so it's clearly not for me to understand. I've also seen a bunch of Rivian's popping up around town.

18. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (7,319) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Moderator Society Trader

Well, yeah; Terry's a tough fucker. Once you drove that Subaru up onto the sidewalk, I knew he was going to be fine, but your car was fucked! :grinning:

19. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

The German cars in general; Porsche, BMW, Audi, VW, M-B are really popular up here. Add in the Volvo loyalists and an odd subset of folks who import right-hand drive, smol, Japanese vans/utility trucks, and some days ya just shake your head.

A handful of Ferraris too. Then mix in your Vettes and such.

20. jonphisher

jonphisher Poo-Bah (1,526) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

So happy this was your experience with this beer. I feel the exact same way about it, it’s funny cause I described it to a few people like biting into a hop with a little espresso on the finish. I’m not sure if any other black ipa experience will come close to this one so I’m grateful it comes back once and year. Happy I was able to share. Cheers!

21. kemoarps

Society Trader

Yeah, growing up everyone I knew drove either an old Volvo, or like OLD Benz that looked like the old Volvos, or if they had money they had a Subaru.

I drove my dad's old PIECE OF SHIT Nissan wagon, until it died, and I took over my mom's old Camry that my younger brother had half-wrecked, and which was older than me.

22. kemoarps

Society Trader

I realized I should probably be posting these here as I drink them, not just on WBAYDN.

Well, tonight's first tipple is Hopcelot, from the esteemed Green Mountain brewers at Lawson's, courtesy of @WunderLlama.

[​IMG]

With layers of different hop profiles, this is real tasty. Thanks Maynard!!

23. kemoarps

Society Trader

OK, and the next one for tonight: Simcoast to Coast by Beachwood.
    It's an all-simcoe IPA. Simcoe is a hop on which I'm kind of in the middle. It's not my favourite overall, but if properly utilized it can be lovely. This is very much the latter: this is a really lovely simcoe single-hop IPA.

[​IMG]

Thanks Derek!!

24. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (5,107) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Good day BAs! Well, I've finally begun to participate in this thread again. Today's New Breakfast Beer is the first I've tried from the impy stout-heavy box @Whyteboar shipped me in NBS BIF #16:

[​IMG]

Delicious! This easily holds its own against BCBS coffee stout and probably didn't cost $24 to boot! Review will be on NBW whenever I can find the thread. Thanks again Craig!

25. woemad

Society Trader

Drank this one yesterday, courtesy of @Roguer.
    [​IMG]
    I tend to avoid amber/red ales. They're pretty much my least favorite style. So I was surprised by how much I liked this. I was expecting a massive maple syrup sugar bomb, but it was considerably more restrained than I imagined. It was still sweet enough to where I wouldn't want more than one per session, but I would definitely drink it again. Thanks, Andrew!

26. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

I think what you (and I) liked about it is what disappointed other people: it's not a maple syrup bomb. I like sweet maple syrup beers just fine, but I really appreciated the subtlety in this one.

27. woemad

Society Trader

kemoarps, beergoot, Dimidiata and 7 others like this.
  28. woemad

Society Trader

My favorite in Seattle are the giant pickups with full brush guards that are driven by someone that looks like they're an attorney and that you just know have never been off pavement or have gone anywhere less urban than Bellevue.

29. woemad

Society Trader

I've seen several Rivians in Spokane as well. Usually at work. I must say I'm a little intrigued by them. Would love to see one in the wild doing actual truck stuff.

kemoarps, beergoot, 2beerdogs and 9 others like this.
  30. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

One of my contemporaries drives a Rivian. I understand he actually does use it for off-road and camping stuff. It looks like a fantastic vehicle for that kind of thing. Not my thing, at all, but very cool.

The look of the front end on that thing, though ... that's another story.

31. Whyteboar

Society Trader

Glad you liked it! Now I must have one to compare as we Just had our SAN last night with a 3 year comparison of BCBS as one of our members stated that he found it to “hot” but then he couldn’t discern the 20 from the 22 or 21.
    Beer is fun sometimes!

Back with a messy story about a box with beer that was found on my porch…

kemoarps, beergoot, woemad and 9 others like this.
  32. beergoot

Society Trader

LIF question #6: What is the name of the movie partially filmed in Mansfield, Ohio that nearly caused Columbia Pictures to go broke?

[​IMG]

...there is an additional visual clue in today's WBAYDN? thread.

Current totals:

snaotheus, woemad, Dimidiata and 7 others like this.
  33. Beersnake1

Moderator Society Trader

Harry and Walter Go To New York

snaotheus, woemad, Dimidiata and 4 others like this.
  34. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Poo-Bah (3,137) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Uh, oh.

kemoarps, snaotheus, woemad and 9 others like this.
  35. BigIronH

Society Trader

Harry and Walter go to New York

snaotheus, woemad, Dimidiata and 6 others like this.
  36. WunderLlama

WunderLlama Poo-Bah (3,716) Dec 27, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Harry and Walter go to NY

beergoot, BigIronH, snaotheus and 7 others like this.
  37. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (4,553) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

Harry and Walter Go To New York.

beergoot, BigIronH, snaotheus and 6 others like this.
  38. Whyteboar

Society Trader

Well, I promised a story, so here it is. Th e amazingly generous @Victory_Sabre1973 sent me a second box of beer, and had I remembered to obliterate the personal data from the image you could have seen that pic. But fear not, there are more!
    [​IMG]
    A second, dry box was brought out my wife wasn't letting the beer soaked one into the house. I feared the worst, broken glass was just waiting to be found and I very carefully began pulling the contents out. Close to the end, I got to the big bottle, a bomber, and I gingerly felt around the neck but no damage was found. So I pulled it out.
    Much to my surprise, it was the leak, but it wasn't broken. About 1/2 the contents somehow escaped the bottle.
    [​IMG]
    Once I realized what it was, I was made very happy as it's been a want of mine for quite some time and I never expected to see it - BA Double Shot Double Black.
    Well, make the best of it. It assuredly wasn't going to taste as intended, but we could still get an idea of the beer. So I took it to our SAN group and presented it with full disclosure except I didn't tell them it wasn't a stout until they all had tried it wand were favorably impressed.
    It didn't matter to them as much as me that we had just enjoyed the #1 Black IPA on Beer Advocate, but a good beer shared is made all the better, so we all enjoyed it regardless it's current condition.
    Thank you James, it was a very, very nice surprise and no fault of anyone that it leaked. We still enjoyed it!

39. Victory_Sabre1973

Society Trader

Oh, man. I am so sorry that happened. Based on your previous post, I was expecting breakage. I never expected it to leak. At least you enjoyed what you got of it.

40. Victory_Sabre1973

Society Trader