1. Trying to obtain a specific beer? Looking for a proxy or trustee? Tired of trading on other platforms? We've got you covered. Join our Beer Trading community to unlock this forum and new features! — Todd, Founder of BeerAdvocate

NBS BIF #17 Hints and Hauls: Subaru Drivers Won't Keep Us From Our Magic Water Breakfast

Discussion in 'Beer It Forward' started by Roguer, Mar 24, 2023.

1. snaotheus

snaotheus Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,910) Oct 6, 2008 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Ever had one of the cinnamon / spice versions of Fremont's B-Bomb or Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Star? Or Rusty Nail?

sulldaddy, Rug, ovaltine and 2 others like this.
  2. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Grand Pooh-Bah (5,825) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Nope! The pack bears that travel through our tundra usually don't carry any. Although the mexican coffee I'm currently brewing has a load of cinammon, my favorite spice!

#3162 Ozzylizard, Nov 25, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2023
  3. snaotheus

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

As @FBarber would say...
    [​IMG]

4. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Grand Pooh-Bah (4,880) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Uhoh...strengthen the porch supports @Ozzylizard

Rug, FBarber, Whyteboar and 4 others like this.
  5. snaotheus

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Hoppin' Frog - Evolutions of BORIS the Crusher Mint Chocolate chip. Courtesy @Ozzylizard, thank you man!

6. russpowell

russpowell Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,256) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

[​IMG]

Banger of a game

Beersnake, Rug, sulldaddy and 4 others like this.
  7. russpowell

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Crap posted in wrong place....:wink::grin:

8. Whyteboar

Whyteboar Grand Pooh-Bah (3,200) Jun 7, 2008 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Maybe not where you intended, but is it really “wrong”? :wink:

9. Ozzylizard

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Good day BAs! Well, vacation traveling is over for this year - no more trips except to Walmart and Home Depot until next spring's return to Germany for Bierkellerzeit. I finally get to participate in our hintznhauls thread after most of last month being "on the road"! Today I cracked "Mystery Beer #1" form my sender @muchloveforhops3 who totally faked me out with his clews. So, today's New Breakfast Beer:

[​IMG]

Mystery Beer #1 from @muchloveforhops3 in BSBIF #1. Waxed and capped bomber. Reviewed 02/12/23 (Review 3184). Note that I use DD/MM/YY protocol.
    Stored at 34 degrees at home. Served at 56.1 degrees F in a hand washed and dried Jester King snifter. The final temperature was 62.2 degrees F.
    Appearance – 4.
    First pour – Medium Amber (SRM 12), hazy.
    Body – Ruby Brown (SRM 24), opaque. Under direct light, same. When rear-lite, ruby amber and cloudy. At the final temperature, I checked the rear-lighting, and found it to be ruby and clear, so the previous haziness was probably chill haze.
    Head: Average (Maximum 1.5 cm, aggressive center pour), beige, high density, somewhat fizzy, quickly dropping to a 0.1 to 0.15 cm crown and a thin partial cap.
    Lacing – Poor, but considering the ABV, it’s surprising there is any.
    Aroma – 4.25 – Sweet, caramelly, and a bit fruity. Maybe a hint of bourbon, or at least whiskey. No hops, no yeast, no alcohol (14.9 % ABV as stated on the bottle).
    Flavor – 4 – Begins slightly sweet and caramel but not sticky. No yeast, no hops. Unable to taste any vanilla, tannic acid, char, or any other bourbon barrel flavors. No dimethylsulfide or diacetyl. Moderate gastric warming.
    Palate – 4 – Full; creamy; soft carbonation.
    Final impression and summation: 4.25 Pretty distinctly a barleywine, probably American (sweet, not hoppy), and possibly whiskey barrel aged.

Thanks Doug! I really enjoyed this guy!

Beersnake, Rug, russpowell and 5 others like this.
  10. Ozzylizard

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

The REVEAL:

[​IMG]

Fremont's 14th Anniversary Barrel-Aged Golden Barleywine Ale - Limited 2023 release. Thanks Doug - this was really good! And my guesses weren't too shabby for this ancient beerdrinker!

turfy, Beersnake, Rug and 8 others like this.
  11. Dimidiata

Dimidiata Pundit (812) Jul 14, 2017 California
    Trader

Did this end up in the wrong thread? I totally almost sent this as a mystery beer but ended up choosing something else.

Rug, Ozzylizard, ovaltine and 3 others like this.
  12. Ozzylizard

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Yes.

Rug, russpowell, Dimidiata and 3 others like this.
  13. WunderLlama

WunderLlama Grand Pooh-Bah (4,486) Dec 27, 2010 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

F - - - the mother of all stouts chocolate, vanilla nd cookie (2022) by Transient

[​IMG]

Courtesy of my Pennsylvania friend @ovaltine , watching his Steelers play the Patsy’s

4.24/5 rDev 0%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Henry McKenna & Blis maple bourbon barrel aged imperial cream stout with Chocolate, Vanilla, & Cookies

Pitch black motor oil poured into a snifter , pencil thick brown foam quickly fades

Aroma is bourbon, chocolate

Taste is bourbon, cocoa powder, chocolate, vanilla, cookies
    Low sudsing, no heat boozy

Good beer

Beersnake, Rug, russpowell and 6 others like this.
  14. ovaltine

ovaltine Grand Pooh-Bah (5,811) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I sent you a lotta stouts, Maynard.

Rug, russpowell, Whyteboar and 2 others like this.
  15. WunderLlama

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Yes you did Mike, thank you!

Rug, Whyteboar, ovaltine and 2 others like this.
  16. ovaltine

ovaltine Grand Pooh-Bah (5,811) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

What I meant was, I didn't ..... offer a lot of variety. Actually, not even a little variety.

I'm a miscreant beer nerd.

Beersnake, Rug, snaotheus and 2 others like this.
  17. WunderLlama

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Mike, no disagreement with either of your statements

:wink:

Whyteboar, Rug, ovaltine and 2 others like this.
  18. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Grand Pooh-Bah (4,880) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut

Ok....Im 90% sure that @snaotheus sent this bad boy to me during the chaos of the BIF. this is Fremont Brewing out of Seattle and their Cinnamon and Coconut B-Bomb, 2021 vintage. Ive stared at this bottle quite a few times and tonight it "gets in mah belly!"

onto my review:
    [​IMG]
    sampling a cellar temp 22 oz bottle of this beer and pouring into my snifter. Beer pours a dark stout / black coffee color and no light passes through my glass.
    I do get a dense creamy beige head of 1 cm on the pour and this sticks around as a pretty solid and dense surface covering.

Aroma is dark chocolate, cinnamon, some woody root notes almost like ginger and a bit of toffee note too. Never any hop notes and the ABV is hidden here as well.
    First sip reveals a medium body with very fine and tingly carbonation. texture is smooth and only a little bit of a coating on my palate with each sip.
    Flavor is dark chocolate, toffee and brown sugar with a good bit of cinnamon. The cinnamon is earthy and rooty notes not fake and burny like Big Red gum.
    Still no hops nor any ABV hints on this beer, which is probably dangerous. Im really enjoying the cinnamon playing with the toffee and dark chocolate, works very well together.
    This is a tasty treat that I will savor for the rest of the evening. Very glad to try this one!
    4.52 in the BA DB

Rug, FBarber, Whyteboar and 5 others like this.
  19. russpowell

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

This BIF will transcend the Time Space Continuum, especially with clowns like me drunkenly posting unrelated beers with random music videos :stuck_out_tongue:

Beersnake, Rug, Whyteboar and 4 others like this.
  20. Beersnake

Beersnake Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,330) Aug 17, 2013 California

Delete and re-post in the other thread?