1. Looking to trade some beers? Check out How to Get Started with Beer Trading.

NBS BIF #5: WGNaBP Hints & Hauls

Discussion in 'Beer It Forward' started by beertunes, Feb 26, 2017.

1. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (4,516) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Beer Trader

Seriously. Duke, WTF? I thought Coach K and I were homies, ya know, both having the Polish ancestry and all. Dude wouldn't even hook a brother up.

2. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (1,711) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Saw on ESPN that out of 18 million entries there were only 18 brackets that the entire sweet 16 correct.

woemad, Buck89, larryi86 and 6 others like this.
  3. Josholson666

Josholson666 Zealot (529) Mar 21, 2015 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Luckilly I think duke screwed most everyone, but damn anyone who picked against them, that is BOOOOLD.

4. Josholson666

Beer Trader

I knew I was doomed when I went 15/16 first day...never a good sign lol.

woemad, smanson56, jdell15 and 3 others like this.
  5. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (1,595) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Lord have mercy. Thanks to @JBowenGeorgia for gracing my lips with the elixir otherwise known as Modern Comforts.

woemad, Buck89, larryi86 and 7 others like this.
  6. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (4,631) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Beer Trader

So, who won the Yuenlig?

Cheers!

7. Wasatch

Beer Trader

Package Out For Delivery.:)

Cheers!

woemad, smanson56, strohme2 and 4 others like this.
  8. jhavs

jhavs Meyvn (1,103) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Subscriber Beer Trader

A box hit Nashville this morning. Still says on track for delivery today!

2beerdogs, woemad, Buck89 and 8 others like this.
  9. TeemuWPG

TeemuWPG Initiate (137) Sep 14, 2016 Manitoba (Canada)
    Beer Trader

So excited to participate in NBS this Sunday. Thought I was going to have time yesterday to have one or two, then I got surprised with center ice Jets tickets so my afternoon got all tied up.

But seriously you guys? Duke? I can't cheer for Grayson Allen ever. :eek:

2beerdogs, woemad, larryi86 and 8 others like this.
  10. Dragginballs76

Dragginballs76 Meyvn (1,134) Nov 13, 2015 South Carolina
    Subscriber Beer Trader

That is a great box @RoyMunson !!

2beerdogs, woemad, smanson56 and 5 others like this.
  11. Dragginballs76

Subscriber Beer Trader

I think they all work with me, based on the reaction at work today you would think SC had already won the national title!!!

2beerdogs, woemad, smanson56 and 6 others like this.
  12. jhartley

jhartley Poo-Bah (2,248) Aug 22, 2010 Florida
    Beer Trader

Box dropped off with FedEx, get that porch ready. ...you should know who you are by now!

13. LehighAce06

LehighAce06 Champion (825) Jul 31, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Damn, sorry guys. I completely forgot to post the reviews I did of beer from @woemad yesterday in the NBS thread. It not being part of my routine I forget to get on there, and worse yet always forget that those threads get locked at the end of the night.

If ya'll don't mind, I'll post my review here, and then as long as I remember, I'll crosspost it in next Sunday's thread, along with a current one.

From @woemad's first box, I drank Fort George Suicide Squeeze and No-Li Big Juicy IPA.

Big Juicy-
    Appearance- Light golden, crystal clear. Moderate head with little retention.
    Aroma- Very little, especially for a PNW IPA. I suspect this is a combination of factors between the can being a bit older (around 5 weeks, yes I'm snobby enough to call that 'old') and my senses being dulled from seasonal allergies. What I do get is the expected combination of citrus and pine.
    Flavor- Similar to the aroma, I'm not getting much here.What I do get, again, is the expected combination of citrus, especially navel oranges, and pine.
    Mouthfeel- Crisp, decent carbonation, light finish leaves me ready for another sip.
    Overall- Definitely a drinkable 'everyday' IPA; how little aroma and flavor there were definitely doesn't help things but my money is on this being a fairly typical West Coast style IPA to begin with; nothing wrong with it just nothing getting me excited.
    3.5/5

Suicide Squeeze-
    Appearance- Just like Big Juicy, near crystal clarity, golden color, and a moderate head that dissipated quickly.
    Aroma- More aroma from this one, primarily citrus, but still overall muted.
    Flavor- Hop profile is all citrus, still not as much as I'd like but I think it's as much or more my allergies than the beer. Also picking up some of the malt flavor, which is a nice balance against the hops and a nice moderate bitterness.
    Mouthfeel- Sharper carbonation, easy drinking and a clean finish.
    Overall- Definitely the better beer, this is a solid IPA. Frankly I expected even more from Fort George, but better freshness and a sharper palate may be all that's missing.
    4/5

[​IMG]

14. jdell15

jdell15 Aspirant (208) Aug 27, 2010 Arkansas
    Beer Trader

Yea I wasn't able to post my reviews in the NBS thread either due to driving all day yesterday and hitting the bed immediately when we got home. Thought I was gonna get home with enough time to do a proper review but packing, rounding up all the troops, and saying hungover goodbyes to half the family after a wedding apparently takes more time than you plan for lol. I'll have to make up for it this Sunday ;)

I was enjoying my haul all weekend in the hotel room however, and even with very improper glassware they were still delicious!

@smanson56 is the man!

My girlfriend LOVED the Rustique!
    [​IMG]
    I enjoyed it as well, but was definitely more partial to the Hi-Fi (I finished off her half after she only took a couple sips muahaha)
    [​IMG]

15. strohme2

strohme2 Crusader (704) Nov 3, 2007 Michigan
    Subscriber Beer Trader

[​IMG]

This showed up on my porch today (well, actually I met the UPS man at his truck with a big smile on my face). Semi-unexpected box from @Wasatch. 5/6 new beers. Really looking forward to those Melvin (d)ipas. Thanks man!

16. Bum4ever

Bum4ever Aspirant (234) Jan 18, 2017 California
    Beer Trader

Wow showing me newb status: I just realized I tagged the wrong Roy Munson on my reveal posts.

@MunsonRoyE is the dude who deserves all the thanks for such a ridiculous box. Not to mention I just went to reuse the box he sent for a trade I am doing and I found one more beer under all the packaging. Burial Skillet Donut Stout.

17. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (2,068) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Beer Trader

Last night I just wasn't feeling a second beer, crazy I know, but getting to the second beer I was going to drink last night today. Thank you @Ri0 for this solid Pilsner!

4.08/5 rDev +9.1%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Thank you Ri0 for this

A- Clear light golden color with a three finger white head.

S- Pilsner malts, a light bit of sweet bread, nice floral hops with some spice and a surprising bright lemongrass quality.

T- Clean bready malts, floral, some spice, lemons, hints of white grapes.

M- Smooth, light body.

O- A solid German Pilsner, the Hellertua Mittelfrüh hops add a great unique twist to the beer. This would make a great summer beer.
    [​IMG]

18. Buck89

Buck89 Meyvn (1,243) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Beer Trader

Well, @jhavs has struck again with an incredible box of NE greatness! Some legendary beers here that are longtime wants, and all the others look fantastic! Plus some great schwag! My son took the pic but these are under lock and key until I get back home this weekend (we had a long discussion ;)). Woo hoo! Cheers to @jhavs for doing irreparable damage to the porch!
    [​IMG]

19. Josholson666

Beer Trader

Damn, Looks like Alchemist has some new beers I need to tick! Crusher is one of my favorite IPAs ever, and @jhavs is one of my favorite BA's ever! Dude knows how to bomb!

WesMantooth, 2beerdogs, jhavs and 6 others like this.
  20. jhartley

jhartley Poo-Bah (2,248) Aug 22, 2010 Florida
    Beer Trader

So I'm enjoying a beer right now. Not from my box, but from my box....Maybe I posted it in the WBAYDN thread, but then again maybe I didn't.
    [​IMG]

21. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (2,486) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Beer Trader

Got called into work, then wound up having to stay beyond a normal shift. Just now grabbing some food and a Top Cutter. Grabbing some schwag on my way home and my porch killer will be complete.

22. Bum4ever

Bum4ever Aspirant (234) Jan 18, 2017 California
    Beer Trader

Just rated my 100th beer on BA. It was a hop cakes DIPA, thanks to @MunsonRoyE for the assist.

jhartley, smanson56, Roguer and 15 others like this.
  23. Wasatch

Beer Trader

Getting dangerous!:)

Cheers!

24. woemad

Beer Trader

Big Juicy was more a space filler than anything else. As No-Li IPAs go, it's not bad, but not a great beer. If I'd been able to find a reasonably fresh Field 41, you'd have had that instead.

25. jhavs

Subscriber Beer Trader

Enjoy!

smanson56, Buck89, Grizzarky and 4 others like this.
  26. jhavs

Subscriber Beer Trader

You do a pretty good job bombing as well!

smanson56, 2beerdogs, woemad and 4 others like this.
  27. y2kawakami

y2kawakami Initiate (148) Sep 11, 2015 Hawaii
    Beer Trader

Since Hawaii doesn't really have porches, I can't say I got porch bombed. To make it more like my culture, lets just say I received a "grass shack grenade" from @SammyJaxxxx

Wife: A box just came in today for you. Expecting anything?
    Me: Yes. Self-help books from Amazon.
    Wife: I don't think that's it.
    Me: Lemme see.

Opens box and pulls out beers

Wife: Who is this from?
    Me: A guy in that beer group that I was joining before the 'you know what' happened.
    Wife: And he just sent you these beers for no reason?
    Me: Yes. Well, I'll think of it as something to keep my mind off of things.
    Wife: Wow. These beer people are really nice.
    Me: Yes, I now see first hand about the beer community and how big their hearts are.

Thank you so much for these awesome beers. Just my luck, wife called dibs on the gose and the mulberry sour (I'll get a sip). Thank you for helping to take our mind off of this disaster.
    All of these are new beers/breweries for me except the Heady, which is always welcome here, and the Gose, which is why she claimed it.

[​IMG]

Carton Boat Session Ale
    Carton 07750 East Coast DIPA
    Kane Sneak Box APA
    Carton Monkey Chased the Weasel - Mulberry Sour Ale
    Indeed BA Rum King
    Carton 077XX East Coast DIPA
    Carton Regular Coffee
    Kane Head High
    Carton Pumpkin Cream
    Industrial Arts - State of the Art IPA
    Westbrook Gose
    Industrial Arts - Tools of the Trade APA
    Rushing Duck Imperial Beanhead Coffee Porter
    East End Gratitude BB Barleywine
    Rushing Duck War Elephant
    Alchemist Heady

28. Wasatch

Beer Trader

Carton Kicks Ass!

Cheers!

29. MunsonRoyE

MunsonRoyE Aspirant (252) Feb 11, 2015 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

It's MunsonRoyE, for those of you who tagged some other poor feller named Roy Munson :p

[​IMG]

30. MunsonRoyE

Beer Trader

I got back from the beach trip with guys, where all we seemed to do was try new beer after new beer after new beer, so I felt like this every morning...

[​IMG]

31. 2beerdogs

Subscriber Beer Trader

@jhavs Simply Wow!!!

smanson56, woemad, jhavs and 5 others like this.
  32. 2beerdogs

Subscriber Beer Trader

Damn!!! @SammyJaxxxx is the absolute beer karma courier, beer dharma deliverer, beer therapist, beer ambassador...etc... So friggin' cool.

PS, He sent me the Monkey Chased the Weasel. A truly unique beer.

33. 2beerdogs

Subscriber Beer Trader

First World Problems...Wah, Wah, Wah. More is coming my friend. And there's a few BIG ones in there.

34. MunsonRoyE

Beer Trader

Here's the aftermath from day one...

[​IMG]

And then day two...

[​IMG]

And after day three...

[​IMG]

35. thebeers

thebeers Meyvn (1,086) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Here's hoping at least a couple of those friends weren't imaginary

36. woemad

Beer Trader

I think you're going to have to open a store with that many beers.

37. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (2,404) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I take pride in generally giving as good - or better - as I get in these things. That said, nothing prepared me for this:

[​IMG]

:eek:

The box was so suspiciously large and heavy, Jack felt the need to investigate to ensure my safety. :D

Still, having lugged that thing in from the remains of my porch, the contents amazed me.

[​IMG]
    Olde Hickory Event Horizon, Raleigh Wood, Coast Blackbeerd, Evil Twin/Westbrook Imperial Mexican Biscotti Cake Break, and Westbrook Hazelnut Chocolate Imperial Stout

[​IMG]
    Wicked Weed Black Angel and Pernicious, Green Man Rambler, and Wicked Weed Dark Age and Freak of Nature

It just wouldn't stop! It was like a clown car; every time I pulled out another bottle, there were another two right behind it!

[​IMG]
    Burial Beer/"Nighshift" I Know for a Fact You Don't Party, NODA Hop Drop 'N Roll, Prairie Christmas Bomb!, Catawba Peanut Butter Jelly Time, and Burial Beer Scythe Rye

[​IMG]
    Westbrook One Claw, Westbrook Two Claw X2, and Wicked Weed Lieutenant Dank

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

@Dragginballs76 just done blowed my porch up!!! Remember: this was the second box! I don't know what to say, man, except thanks! I will be enjoying these beers, no doubt ... starting right now:

[​IMG]

38. jhavs

Subscriber Beer Trader

Lucky man! Nice looking box (s) @Dragginballs76

2beerdogs, woemad, smanson56 and 8 others like this.
  39. Josholson666

Beer Trader

Good lookin pooch. Killer lookin box.

2beerdogs, woemad, smanson56 and 7 others like this.
  40. Dragginballs76

Subscriber Beer Trader

There is still one more box I thought it would be there today but may be tomorrow. It has the swag and more beer. Hope you enjoy!!!

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe