NBS BIF #8.5 - Secret Santa

Discussion in 'Beer It Forward' started by beertunes, Nov 24, 2018.

1. FFFjunkie

FFFjunkie Defender (682) Aug 26, 2014 Illinois
    Premium Trader

Excellent box as always @JBowenGeorgia !

2. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (2,246) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

Glad you liked it. Rushing Duck is one of my favorite places. It really flies under the radar but they make great beer.

3. Roguer

Roguer Site Editor (3,695) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Premium Trader

I think that works. I wouldn't mind another week to the right for the official share date, personally, but 4/7 should be enough time. The timeframe is right - but we've got to work on the name. :wink:

4. JBowenGeorgia

JBowenGeorgia Crusader (713) Sep 1, 2016 Georgia
    Premium Trader

Looks like @y2kawakami has hit me today!
    My first from Revision and Beerlab HI, all new to me beers that all sound great! Thank you Sean! As a bonus he sent a study guide for the math hints as well.

5. FFFjunkie

Premium Trader

Nice shot @y2kawakami !

2beerdogs, woemad, Blackop555 and 8 others like this.
  6. Vidblain

Vidblain Champion (877) Feb 17, 2017 Minnesota
    Premium Trader

Nice one, @y2kawakami !

7. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Poo-Bah (1,565) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Premium Trader

Beautiful hit @y2kawakami

8. Vidblain

Premium Trader

@SammyJaxxxx You should have a second box waiting for you at the office!

9. strohme2

strohme2 Savant (900) Nov 3, 2007 Michigan
    Trader

I have nothing going on but would vote for the official date to be one week later as well. Work gets in the way for 4/7 but could sneak in one or two NBs.

10. Roguer

Roguer Site Editor (3,695) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Premium Trader

It's entirely possible that I'll be enjoying wine, not beer, tonight, so I figured I'd better break open one more new beer this afternoon while I still can.

At last count, I still have ten new beers just from @strohme2 's fantastic BIF box, and I'm saving the mystery beer for NBS. I already had a stout earlier today, and I don't want to kill one of the IPAs just now, so .... hmmmm ......

[​IMG]

This is Kuhnhenn's White Devil, an "Imperial White Ale" (i.e. huge Belgian Wit) that clocks in at 9% ABV.

Wits are my least favorite style of beer - at least among those readily commercially available. That's not to say I don't enjoy them, or can't; there are many bowling alleys in America where the best beer on draught is Blue Moon (or the appropriate Sam Seasonal). Allagash White is quite nice, and back in CT, my favorite brewery's flagship is a very enjoyable Wit (Whisker'd Wit by Beer'd).

But compared to other styles? Wits generally receive my lowest ratings. Let's see what doubling the ABV does for this beer.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2097/355499/?ba=Roguer#review

L - Fair head production and retention, even from a strong pour. Brew is a hazy - but translucent - golden orange. 3.25

Not bad looking, but right about average, honestly.

S - Banana from the pour. Up close, wheat, straw, banana, clove, coriander, and orange peel. Blind, I would be hard pressed to identify this as a Wit vice a Weiss, although the banana is a little more restrained here, and there is just a touch of dry spice and Belgian yeast, if you know to look for it. 4.00

The nose is very inviting, indeed - slight confusion aside. I think the added heft of the malt base and ABV is what keeps the typical Wit profile from coming through more strongly. Think about it: add the same amount of spice, coriander, and orange peel, but double the ABV. It's like the malt showing on old school DIPAs (or TIPAs).

T - Very sweet, almost syrupy and nearly cloying. Much more body and heft than a normal Wit - entirely expected, given the 9% ABV, but still a radical departure from a normal Wit. Tons of sweet, almost chewy malt; honey, white bread, banana, pear, lemon, apple; a bit of mint and clove, and a kiss of orange somewhere around the back third. 4.00

This is .... really damn enjoyable. Not just to style; overall.

F - Full bodied but not remotely hot. The only thing keeping this from being as easy to chug as a regular Wit is the thick, full body. 4.25

O - 4.00

The "imperial" aspect of this beer really does depart it a touch from a traditional Witbier - it's impossible not to, really - but in most aspects, improves the overall product. The craftsmanship is top notch in every aspect except appearance.

3.98 / -2.9% (fourth overall rating; first full review)

Wow, I really enjoyed this one, Justin! For me, a non-lover of this style, I am absolutely loving every sip. Probably not a surprise for this brewery. This must be a brand new beer for them, too, given the low number of ratings.

Thanks for getting me to branch back out into a style I don't often visit. It was rewarding!

11. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,521) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

@FlintB heavy-duty crushed me today-
    [​IMG]
    be back with the damage report in a bit.

12. strohme2

Trader

Kuhnhenn has been around for 18 or so years but just recently started packaging their beer more consistently. White Devil has been around as a taproom only beer and, admittedly, is not a style I’d order but your review may change my mind!

2beerdogs, smanson56, woemad and 12 others like this.
  13. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (2,329) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

[​IMG]

14. TongoRad

Premium Trader

Are you ready? Are you sitting? You really should be sitting...

Let's get this show on the road:

First off, this box was packed to the gills with a metric shitton of stuff. But beyond that, Brian went above and beyond in a number of ways. Practically everything in here is a mystery, allowing me to participate in a "choose your own adventure" type tasting if I like. Of course I like :grin:. Who knows where the next step will lead...pop the cap and find out. Incredible!
    [​IMG]
    That part is 14 bottles and a can, each with its own strength marked on it as the only guidance.

Then there's this Kuhnhenn Dripa and glass, Griffin Claw Flying Buffalo, and the swag:
    [​IMG]

Plus:
    a three round mystery whisky tasting:
    [​IMG]

And here's everything together:
    [​IMG]

Big round of applause for @FlintB ! This is just incredible and overwhelming, to say the least. And it also looks like a hell of a lot of fun :sunglasses:! I really can't thank you enough, Brian.

There's obviously a lot here, and I do plan on taking the notes the whole way. I can't promise I'll be able to post them all in the moment, but I'll probably compile a few at a time and do it that way. So much to think about- I need a drink...
    :wink:

15. Vidblain

Premium Trader

Good lord, @FlintB - way to break the curve, as usual! Terrific box, Brian - well done!

16. strohme2

Trader

17. FlintB

FlintB Initiate (137) May 27, 2017 Michigan
    Trader

Cheers @TongoRad ! I sincerely hope that you enjoy everything and maybe find a couple that especially float your boat.

2beerdogs, smanson56, woemad and 11 others like this.
  18. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,577) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Premium Trader

That looks like a lot of fun. The mystery beer was a great addition to this BIF

2beerdogs, smanson56, woemad and 11 others like this.
  19. FFFjunkie

Premium Trader

Dayuuum @FlintB . Love the mystery crushing!

20. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (2,355) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Premium Trader

How about a Mystery Beer from our beer nerd friend @SammyJaxxxx? I say yes!

[​IMG]

Okay, the pour quickly narrows this down to Porterville or Stoutland. As I hold this up to the light, I see a decent amount of leakage to mahogany on the edges , so I’m saying porter.

The aromas are some char and a LOT of milk chocolate and some vanilla.

I am now salivating.

The taste says this is definitely a porter - nice, substantial body, but not chewy, and oh my goodness the milk chocolate and vanilla flavors. I wish I could bathe in this.

So now for the unveiling .....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got the porter right, but I didn’t get coffee - milk chocolate was the base flavor, and the lactose presented as vanilla. Imperial porter? Not even close - this was too smooth.

A 4.15-ish on the ovaltine rating scale, this is delicious - and dangerous, because it doesn’t drink anywhere close to 9.5%. Love it, @SammyJaxxxx.

21. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (2,246) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

Thank you @Vidblain for hitting me with a second box
    [​IMG]
    Awesome box
    Thank you

22. jhavs

Premium Trader

Great stuff @Vidblain

23. Vidblain

Premium Trader

Cheers, Greg! Glad everything arrived safely, and hope you enjoy!

24. FFFjunkie

Premium Trader

Killer box @Vidblain ! Love that hazels nuts!!!!

25. TongoRad

Premium Trader

Here's the first step on @FlintB 's magical mystery tour-
    [​IMG]
    This one probably could've sat for a bit- there was some gushing. But after that was dealt with, the aroma was so inviting that I think that I actually did select the perfect one to start things off.

The aroma gives me a really nice blend of horseblanket, apricot, crab apples, oak, vanilla, and after another bit of swirling some kumquat comes out. It's sort of sepia tinged, but with a healthy bright tint to it. Some sweetness resides there as well.

The palate has a great sweet/tart balance, and is earthy yet fruity. Apricot tends to stand out. The finish is woody with some citrus peel, which leads to a layered aftertaste going into spice, then barnyard and then back again. Mouthfeel is moderately rich, and it's overall impeccably balanced.

This is a damn fine and enjoyable beer! I'm guessing it's an apricot wild ale or sour, however they categorize it.

And the reveal:
    [​IMG]
    Barrel + Beam Cuvee Superior

What an apt name! It's amazing what they did without the fruit. I never even heard of this place, but this one hell of a superb beer. And I won't forget them from here on out. Thanks again, Brian!

#1825 TongoRad, Jan 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  26. TongoRad

Premium Trader

Great job @y2kawakami and @Vidblain !

FlintB, 2beerdogs, FFFjunkie and 11 others like this.
  27. jhavs

Premium Trader

Sounds great, awesome description @TongoRad

FlintB, 2beerdogs, FFFjunkie and 10 others like this.
  28. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Poo-Bah (1,565) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Premium Trader

Damn @FlintB , do you have the same shoe size as Robert Wadlow? Nice hit.
    You're going to join the Junkyard cult. Nice hit @Vidblain .

29. bl00

bl00 Disciple (342) May 13, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

You are a beast @FlintB ! I am indeed glad I was sitting down per @TongoRad 's advice.

Nice box @Vidblain ! Going above and beyond with a second one.

FlintB, 2beerdogs, FFFjunkie and 12 others like this.
  30. akatz821

akatz821 Initiate (34) Dec 13, 2017 New York
    Trader

heheh Mystery boxes are the new thing and i love it!

FlintB, 2beerdogs, FFFjunkie and 13 others like this.
  31. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,683) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Trader

32. TongoRad

Premium Trader

Sincerely, man, thanks for your honest appraisal- but just a heads-up, of the remaining 3 cans I'm pretty sure that there's 1 murkbomb left. Hopefully you'll enjoy it better than the other two you've done so far :slight_smile:. Maybe I sent one too many, but this is what the latest releases are like these days around here...

FlintB, 2beerdogs, FFFjunkie and 14 others like this.
  33. akatz821

Trader

Also!!! This afternoon I was lucky enough to be visited by the UPS folks. Holding a box from the great state of MI. @Blackop555 thank you!!!

Here's the damage:
    [​IMG]
    From...well top to bottom:
    Pigeon Hill - Smore's Beast In My Cup (love these guys, excited for what this black friday 2018 brew holds in store)
    Mystery Beer (I do know the brewery...but I still love how I can't figure out what this is without asking. The label is just torn off hehe)
    Bell's - BBA Expedition Stout (YES)
    New Holland - Dragon's Milk Reserve Cherry Chocolate (My first Dragons Milk)
    New Glarus - Strawberry Rhubarb ( actually have two of these now!! will get to drinking asap)
    Odd Side Ales - Rye Hipster Brunch Stout (Funny story....went to go choose one of these bottles to share with my brother, who happens to be an observant Orthodox Jew. Anywho, I at first thought this was the one to go with!! until I read the last word of the description..."bacon". Oh well, guess its just for me =p we ended up with a BCBS '18)
    Short's Brew - Snyalpheus Pinkfloydi (whatttt is this name!!!)
    Upper Hand - Christmastime (New Brewery! pretty sure there are three...these folks, Short's Brew, and New Holland)

Thanks again!!!! Looking forward to each and every one of these and I'm excited to tackling the mystery bottle =)

34. akatz821

Trader

Also. Random thing that I noticed.

Basically all NY breweries just use the simple silver tone beer cap. That's not true for MI tho....EVERY bottle in this box has a different cap, and all are unique. Damn!!! so so cool that they do that

35. TongoRad

Premium Trader

Wow- cool lineup, and great box @Blackop555 !

FlintB, 2beerdogs, FFFjunkie and 11 others like this.
  36. beertunes

Trader

Any new beer is a good beer. The murkbombs, more than any other style, just seem all so very much the same to me. Y'll keep sending them, I'll keep keeping an open mind and trying them. :wink:

Plus, if all you had sent was that Golden delicious, your balance sheet would still be permanently in the black. Thanks again.

FlintB, 2beerdogs, ovaltine and 13 others like this.
  37. Blackop555

Blackop555 Meyvn (1,367) Dec 12, 2016 Michigan
    Premium Trader

That also is a hipster bacon on the label lol. Iv think it's probably oddsides most sought after beer. My bad on the bacon part. I totally forgot that you might be Jewish

FlintB, 2beerdogs, ovaltine and 12 others like this.
  38. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (2,167) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Premium Trader

I'm going shopping!!!

FlintB, ovaltine, FFFjunkie and 8 others like this.
  39. beertunes

Trader

Unless objections, I'ma push the above back a week. Issues?

40. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,959) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

Thanks for your reviews! That English Dark Mild is one of the two I was really curious how you'd receive!

FlintB, 2beerdogs, smanson56 and 10 others like this.