NC Governor orders all bars and restaurants to close

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by Miles_in_beer_city, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Miles_in_beer_city

Miles_in_beer_city Devotee (408) Jun 18, 2014 North Carolina
    Society

As of 5 PM Tuesday 3/17.

Take out and delivery still OK.

hottenot and treznor like this.
  2. treznor

treznor Zealot (557) Dec 20, 2006 North Carolina
    Trader

Seeing lots of breweries and bottle shops around me offering to-go still, along with curbside delivery and in some cases delivery.

hottenot likes this.
  3. jloomis

jloomis Aspirant (292) Jan 6, 2010 Florida
    Trader

Same in FL as well. Except restaurants capacity at 50%.
    Almost all breweries offering to go selections.

hottenot likes this.
  4. JLK7299

JLK7299 Meyvn (1,169) Apr 21, 2016 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Bottle shop near me selling cans and bottles. Doing pours during a window but not filling growlers for some reason?

hottenot likes this.
  5. treznor

Trader

That seems weird (assuming they do growler fills other times). Shouldn't really be doing pours at all, but growler fills should be okay I think. Seen multiple places near me doing growler and crowler fills, even places that typically wouldn't (at least for growlers, obviously not for crowlers).

JLK7299 and hottenot like this.
  6. Miles_in_beer_city

Society

The outside of a growler can be contaminated with the virus, which can contaminate the employee, who in turn can contaminate the outside of your growler.
    Here is the protocol from a nearby brewery for growlers from an email I received this morning.

"Our staff will take extensive cautions with handling your order. We will all take our temperatures at the beginning of a shift and record that in a log. We will continue with frequent hand washing, sanitizing and change gloves between each contact. Growlers will go through our dishwasher, then be submerged in diluted bleach and rinsed. When filled, the growler will be dipped in sanitizer and returned to you with gloved hands."

COVID-19 is much more contagious than the regular flu everyone keeps trying to compare it to.

7. Jarnet87

Jarnet87 Initiate (84) Jul 30, 2014 Florida
    Trader

Going to grab some cans from local breweries over the weekend (assuming they are still operating as to go and not completely shutdown). gotta support them in these tough times if we can.

lateralusbeer and hottenot like this.
  8. Miles_in_beer_city

Society

Just got home from picking up 4 cases from Hi-Wire, $25/case.

Don't forget to tip!!!! Added 20% which they were very gracious for.

They have setup a traffic circle and you can drive up, order, and they put it in your vehicle. I ordered/paid by phone, they loaded, and I was on my way. Other cars were pulling in to buy beer as we left.

They will deliver to local zip codes, and have setup shipping to any state that they can legally ship to. https://shop.hiwirebrewing.com/collections/beer?mc_cid=8ea8bf85a2&mc_eid=d5e883941f

hottenot and TheRougeBastard like this.
  9. hottenot

hottenot Aspirant (299) Aug 13, 2018 North Carolina
    Society

OK. From High Wire:
    12 pack of Lager $14 (Deal!)
    12 Bed of Nails Brown Ale $16 (Also a Deal!)
    4 pack of 16oz. 10W-40 Macaroon $10 (Wow!)
    Shipping :disappointed too much to print here.
    But.
    First time ordering beer on the Internet!
    Makes up for the shipping. (Kinda)

#9 hottenot, Mar 20, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    Miles_in_beer_city likes this.
  10. hottenot

Society

Also added a 4 Pack of Dortmunder Lager $8

Miles_in_beer_city likes this.
  11. Miles_in_beer_city

Society

Hi-Wire Asheville is partnering with Burial Beer Co., Zillicoah Beer Company, Homeplace Beer Company, and Dssolvr for a pallet sales in their parking lot tomorrow (Sat 3/21). Details on the beers will be released tomorrow morning.

hottenot likes this.
  12. BobMcKenzie

BobMcKenzie Initiate (24) Sep 12, 2018 Florida

Excited I was able to get some good bottles online from burial that they are shipping. I’m in FL. Stouts lasted about 15 minutes, but i was able to snag some. Sounds like they will do something similar again soon.

hottenot likes this.
  13. treznor

Trader

Pretty sure this is Burial's new normal, I think they're going to always be shipping now. If the 'something similar' is putting stouts in the store, then yeah, that won't be all the time probably as they just don't make enough of them.

hottenot likes this.
  14. MJS08

MJS08 Disciple (321) Jul 29, 2014 Florida
    Society

Anyone know who is the carrier? We're bumping 90 degrees down here. Is everyone OK with that? I'm tempted to buy some of what's left.

hottenot likes this.
  15. hottenot

Society

Unfortunately for me, I was working.
    They haven't closed us down.
    YET!

16. Miles_in_beer_city

Society

As I feared this is going to be tough on the breweries that don't distribute in cans or bottles, into retail like grocery stores, etc.

Article in today's paper of the first full time employee hired 3 years ago by Archetype Brewery being let go. Looking at their website, and where to find their beer, it is all from places with taps, from a barber shop to bowling alleys, plus the usual suspects, and all ordered closed.

I'm still buying and consuming craft beer, just that it is now 100% from cans at home. Some purchased at retail stores, the latest at a local brewery. Which will be my choice going forward as long as they offer the service.

Singlefinpin, hottenot and treznor like this.
  17. EersandBeers

EersandBeers Aspirant (218) Jan 16, 2013 West Virginia
    Trader

I am a HUGE fan of Burial, with that being said I've opened 4 stout bottles recently and none of them were carbed. Extremely disappointed with that. I spent quite a bit of money there that day so having flat beer is not the best outcome. I wrote them and they responded that there is carb there just low head retention. It's intentional. I let them know there was NO head, no carb, just flat taste. Oh well, I prob won't be purchasing anything to go from now on unless it's some cans from the brewery. Especially with that kind of answer.

hottenot and DISKORD like this.
  18. EersandBeers

Trader

Good luck with them being carbed when you get them.

Singlefinpin likes this.
  19. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (4,083) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia
    Society

I purchased a 4pk at Burial in Raleigh back in early February, had one the weekend when I came back and one last weekend, well carbed and nice heads. Not being snarky, I am just wondering if it’s a can vs bottle issue.

Singlefinpin and hottenot like this.
  20. hottenot

Society

Just saying.
    I ordered $50 worth of beer and paid $25 shipping.
    The beer arrived in a single wall cardboard box with about 1 square foot of bubble wrap.
    One of my Imperial Stouts was leaking on delivery.
    Most likely due to the disappointing packaging.
    I don't know if this is the normal shipment method from them or not.

Singlefinpin likes this.
  21. DISKORD

DISKORD Devotee (435) Feb 28, 2017 North Carolina

That's ridiculous! I would contact them ASAP!

Singlefinpin and hottenot like this.
  22. hottenot

Society

On it!

Singlefinpin, VABA and DISKORD like this.
  23. Miles_in_beer_city

Society

I would attribute this to the fact shipping is not their normal method of selling beer. They are doing everything they can, with what they have, to keep the lights on in circumstances no even dreamed possible.

Singlefinpin and VABA like this.
  24. EersandBeers

Trader

My gf brought me a 4 pack of an IPA just a few weeks ago. It was perfect. These stout bottles that I stood in line for because it was a release did not hold up.

Singlefinpin and VABA like this.
  25. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (4,083) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia
    Society

Gotta listen to your gf as she is a smart lady! :wink:

EersandBeers and Singlefinpin like this.
  26. Singlefinpin

Singlefinpin Devotee (489) Jul 17, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

I too will try to buy beer from local Breweries in my area, I'm in NC now, I was in Florida until yesterday for a week, buying beer from local Breweries in Jacksonville Florida, the problem is that, "non essential businesses," are supposed to close in NC? I got news for the governor, beer is essential to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness!
    Eat local.
    Drink local.

VABA and Miles_in_beer_city like this.
  27. Miles_in_beer_city

Society

Buncombe County (Asheville is county seat) is going on "stay home" orders effective Thursday (3/26) at 8 PM, and all non-essential business are ordered closed.
    Restaurants and breweries are included in the list of business may that are allowed to stay open, but for to go, drive up, and delivery.

28. BobMcKenzie

BobMcKenzie Initiate (24) Sep 12, 2018 Florida

Shipment received. Had portal beyond non existence last night. No carb issues. It was fantastic.

EersandBeers and lewith like this.
  29. nas4atu

nas4atu Aspirant (208) Dec 3, 2011 North Carolina

Just out of curiosity, after y’all ordered from Burial online for shipment to home, how long did it take to get your beer? This is particularly geared towards people living in N.C. I ordered their newest stout release last week, and haven’t heard a thing since the confirmation email.

30. Miles_in_beer_city

Society

As I posted earlier, Hi-Wire has been very active in selling beer at their locations with drive up purchasing, local area delivery and shipping.

Apparently this has been met with a great deal of success in the Asheville to the point they now state they are not accepting online orders or delivery due to the high demand in Asheville.

A long list of specials if you can pick it up at Asheville, Durham, or Knoxville. Durham is pickup only, Knoxville still deliveries to some zip codes.

31. treznor

Trader

Got an email from Burial today saying my order has shipped.