NC's Best Drinking IPAs/ DIPAs

Discussion in 'US - South' started by KRubes, Jan 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCGreg

NCGreg Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2016 North Carolina

Agreed, I was very impressed. Liked it much better than 'Unobstructed'

KRubes likes this.
  2. NCGreg

Just a heads up for anyone in the triangle, Trophy released 'Gold School' cans today at Trophy Maywood. I think they brewed this with their 3bbl system, so expecting quality along the lines of 'Outta this Galaxy' per some of the pours I saw at the brewery.

No can limits.

Woodrow, Andy311x and NCbeer like this.
  3. Crim122

Crim122 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina

Finally got my hands on a four pack of Grove yesterday after lunch at Bida Manda, so so so good. They were canned on 12/7, so hoping this means cans will be readily available from now.

TomDRaleigh likes this.
  4. CavemanRamblin

CavemanRamblin Initiate (0) Jun 19, 2014 North Carolina
    Deactivated

Grove is awesome, but after having Pithy several times recently I like that one more. They reallyhave a great ipa in that one, love that Vic Secret.

Really liked Bend & Snap from New Anthem, great hazy lower abv ipa/pale. Was bummed to miss the other two that hit around here.

Didn’t like the Hop & Lock from Bhramari very much. Was basically flat and had a weird finish.

5. scottdills

scottdills Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2010 North Carolina

Another Resident Culture can release this Saturday:

CAN RELEASE this SATURDAY, DEC. 30, 2017! We will start handing out numbers at 12 PM and cans at 1 PM. Live music from 3-6 PM.

Perception Check - Double IPA // 8.1% ABV // Double Dry-Hopped with tons of Galaxy, Vic Secret, Citra, Amarillo, and Mosaic // A big, round, juicy double IPA with deep tropical fruit and citrus notes...very drinkable.

Aiming for 80-100 cases, LIMIT one case (six 4-packs) per person. $17.99 + tax per 4-pack

Laelaps - IPA // 7.1% ABV // Brewed with wheat and hopped with Ekuanot Cryo Lupulin Pellets, Galaxy, and Nelson Sauvin // This soft drinking IPA is dank on the front end with a citrusy finish. Refreshing, dry, and drinkable.

Aiming for 40-50 cases, LIMIT one case (six 4-packs) per person. $16.99 + tax per 4-pack

As Always...

**LIMITS SUBJECT TO CHANGE DEPENDING ON DEMAND and YIELD ON CANNING DAY**

**WE WILL HOLD BACK A LIMITED AMOUNT FOR TAPROOM POURS**

**CROWLER FILLS NOT AVAILABLE FOR EITHER BEER**

NoMoreBeerBelly likes this.
  6. scottdills

Awesome release at Resident Culture.. both beers are phenomenal. I think they're making the best IPAs in Charlotte.

wolfeman007 and Crim122 like this.
  7. CavemanRamblin

Deactivated

Really liked Trophy’s Gold School. Have only had it on draft, but if the cans are as good then it’s probably their best canned ipa thus far.

Woodrow and NCGreg like this.
  8. Nhens0016

Nhens0016 Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2013 Louisiana

Any milkshake beers in nc? Close to charlotte and Asheville the next 3 weeks!

OldManMetal likes this.
  9. Crim122

Is milkshake slang for NE IPA?

10. NCGreg

Haha. Perhaps Tired Hands started distro to NC and it went under the radar...

11. KRubes

KRubes Aspirant (290) Sep 7, 2014 North Carolina
    Trader

I believe it's just a NE IPA with lactose, vanilla and fruit.

c64person, dbrauneis and Crim122 like this.
  12. Crim122

Oh well in that case I know Fullsteam did just release one called "Thieves of Joy" with lactose. And after White Lily I think I'll give it a try.

NCGreg likes this.
  13. Nhens0016

Nhens0016 Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2013 Louisiana

Correct. Been on a milkshake kick recently and love the style.

14. KRubes

Trader

Enjoying a can now. This is their best take on the style yet IMO. I've been gun shy since some of the collaborations, but this is remarkably better. Love the color too. Really catches the eye.

Woodrow and CavemanRamblin like this.
  15. NCGreg

Agreed, minus their 'Outta This' series.

If they could just focus their efforts on a few styles instead of the (20) or so different, yet arguably average beer styles on tap between all of their locations, I think Trophy would be much more reliable for cans, quality, and consistency. Just my opinion though.

I guess it all depends on their business model...and if their taprooms are still filling up, no reason to change course.

KRubes and Crim122 like this.
  16. Crim122

I wish every brewery focused on quality over quantity.

17. kbuzz

kbuzz Champion (891) Jan 22, 2011 North Carolina

Slightly off topic, but does anyone have any good recommendations for a nice tap list with good food that’s kid friendly in the Huntersville area? North of Charlotte.

18. brentk56

brentk56 Poo-Bah (11,314) May 13, 2004 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Duckworth’s

kbuzz likes this.
  19. scottdills

Yep, definitely Duckworth's. Best tap list by far, pretty good food, family friendly environment.

kbuzz likes this.
  20. twowheelssoar

twowheelssoar Aspirant (251) Jul 28, 2009 North Carolina

Interesting to hear that people were high on this one. Drank one after having drank some Grove and Evil Twin Lost Souls the previous few days, and was struck by how ill-composed the Gold School was. Too much sweetness (under-attenuation?) and some inappropriate booziness for a 6.8% beer tastes like poor yeast management. Also, the hop profile is unimpressive.

21. Crim122

Had Wilmington Tropical Lightning on Saturday at Brew n Que. It was delicious and really loved the bitterness that is missing in a lot of modern IPA.

Also Brew N Que was a great spot. It was our first time there after I've seen lots of recommendations here for it. Can't wait to go back.

OldManMetal, ocl1536 and KRubes like this.
  22. KRubes

Trader

Hope you got the burnt ends and potato salad.

Crim122 likes this.
  23. Crim122

NOPE! I didn't even see burnt ends until after I got my food. It was on the chalkboard. Was so upset about that. But my fiance got the potato salad and it was phenomenal.

KRubes likes this.
  24. msscott1973

msscott1973 Devotee (468) Dec 28, 2013 North Carolina

Tried a can of Lemur Party and enjoyed it.

c64person and OldManMetal like this.
  25. OldManMetal

OldManMetal Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2015 North Carolina

Wilmington Brewing Company identifies their Lemur Party as a milkshake IPA if you ever make it down this way.

26. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (10,198) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

You might check High Branch in Concord, NC - they have done some but not sure what they have available currently.

ben4unc likes this.
  27. Andy311x

Andy311x Initiate (0) Apr 28, 2008 North Carolina

From Burial's instagram:

//

The universe ends somewhere. But this ain’t it. This is a most triumphant return to originality. For the first time since 2016, Hawkbill returns to original formula with abundant Galaxy, Mosaic and Simcoe Dry-hopping. Let me tell you a story.
    _________

Hawkbill was meant to perfectly showcase our house IPA style, forged from our love for wild yeast fermentation, full bodied depth and unique tropical fruitiness. We think we had achieved that, before the Galaxy hop rug was pulled out from us and yeast exploration fell short of expectations. We spent the last year on a journey to find holiness. But persistence pays dues. Purity returns. And damn if we aren’t happy about it.

2018 Hawkbill is pumped full of orange, pineapple and papaya flavors, rounded with distinct peachy and tangerine yeast esters. Hawkbill heads out to retailers next week. Look for it in your local stores. Made to quell our innermost fears, derived from out most outward desires.
    #indiapaleale #hawkbill #burialbeer #craftbeer #avlbeer #hawkbillipa #galaxyhops

//

This is cool that they are explaining that Hawkbill's recipe has changed a lot in the past, however I didn't know they were doing this until now and thought they just made inconsistent beers. Was it well known that the recipe was evolving?

Either way, I'm excited for this batch!

28. NCGreg

This brings to mind the first batch of gang of blades, which in my opinion had a noticeable drop-off after the first release. The subsequent can or two lacked the depth of the first and had a noticeable bubblegum like taste, which I was not a big fan of.

Glad they've dialed it in for hawkbill though as I think the triangle (distro) is pining for consistency in DIPAs/IPAs of northeast caliber quality, though there have been noticeable improvements.

OldManMetal and Andy311x like this.
  29. Crim122

I got Hawkbill once and really enjoyed it, but I normally go for Surf Wax. Need to pick up some more Hawkbill.

mecmd and OldManMetal like this.
  30. OldManMetal

OldManMetal Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2015 North Carolina

So New Anthem should be dropping new cans of New Jack and Neon God next Wednesday the 31st. These are both "don't miss" beers in my opinion.

c64person, Crim122 and MunsonRoyE like this.
  31. ben4unc

ben4unc Initiate (182) Feb 28, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

The latest offering from Casita Cerveceria - Cosmic Opposites Black IPA is very tasty. This is a very different Black IPA - very Roasty, smooth, light - very well made. Saw the owner yesterday making deliveries to the Triad area and he said they were releasing next month a collaboration with The Answer - a double IPA that I cannot wait for! Cheers!

32. MunsonRoyE

MunsonRoyE Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2015 North Carolina

New Anthem makes some great IPAs, just as good if not better than burial IPAs.

Macsimus, NCGreg and ben4unc like this.
  33. Subcontrabass

Subcontrabass Initiate (57) Jun 21, 2014 North Carolina

Nah, that's Burial's MO. Burial loves to tinker with their recipes. I've had a couple of their beers that have undergone great changes over the last couple of years.

Gang of Blades early 2016:
    [​IMG]
    Gang of Blades late 2016:
    [​IMG]

This is just one example. Burial tinkers with their recipes and ingredients often, so their beers are not always the same batch-to-batch. Whereas other breweries do 3.0(etc) batches, Burial just calls it the same thing and sends it out.

Andy311x, Bfairhurst74 and MunsonRoyE like this.
  34. CavemanRamblin

Deactivated

Some New Jack and Throwing Shade landed in the Triangle this week. Throwing Shade is my favorite one I’ve had from them so far.

OldManMetal likes this.
  35. daveafrank

daveafrank Initiate (180) Sep 18, 2015 North Carolina
    Trader

What shops usually get New Anthem? I never see cans here.

36. CavemanRamblin

Deactivated

Bottle Rev Raleigh is where I usually get it and I know Beer Study gets it too. I assume there are some others, but those are the ones I know of.

daveafrank likes this.
  37. gtatk

gtatk Initiate (0) May 4, 2015 North Carolina

I saw Steez and Throwing Shade...hope I didn't miss New Jack. I thought that New Jack and Neon God were what they were canning for next week's release.

OldManMetal likes this.
  38. KRubes

Trader

Glass Jug as well.

c64person and daveafrank like this.
  39. CavemanRamblin

Deactivated

It was Steez, not New Jack I saw too sorry got them mixed up.

OldManMetal and gtatk like this.
  40. c64person

c64person Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2010 Michigan

Steez is quite good and worth picking up as well.

OldManMetal likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.