NC's Best Drinking IPAs/ DIPAs

Discussion in 'US - South' started by KRubes, Jan 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldManMetal

OldManMetal Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2015 North Carolina

New Anthem dropped another batch of New Jack last week and it is super-tasty as always!

Went to Heist, Wooden Robot, NoDa and Sycamore Saturday. Heist and Wooden Robot are killing the IPAs! was particularly pleased to find this:

[​IMG]

Taproom only for now...

2. dogleg_left

dogleg_left Initiate (185) May 12, 2016 North Carolina
    Trader

Both hit Hey!Beer

OldManMetal likes this.
  3. OldManMetal

OldManMetal Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2015 North Carolina

Sweet! They are always on the ball. Very glad to see Wooden Robot canning too.

4. CavemanRamblin

CavemanRamblin Initiate (0) Jun 19, 2014 North Carolina
    Deactivated

North Street in Raleigh got them too it looks like.

OldManMetal likes this.
  5. CavemanRamblin

Deactivated

Had a month-old can of Pithy last night and it was the best thing I’ve drank in a while.

Andy311x and TomDRaleigh like this.
  6. Crim122

Crim122 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina

Damn I need to get Pithy next time. I always break and get Grove.

TomDRaleigh likes this.
  7. CavemanRamblin

Deactivated

Can’t really go wrong with either, but I like Pithy more personally.

dogleg_left, Dtrain22 and wedge like this.
  8. KRubes

KRubes Aspirant (290) Sep 7, 2014 North Carolina
    Trader

King of Boggle from Trophy was pretty darn good. What's the hop bill on that, @Woodrow?

9. Woodrow

Woodrow Initiate (84) Jun 17, 2007 North Carolina
    Trader

@KRubes Boggle is El Dorado and Galaxy....and the Beastie Boys are once again stuck in my head now. Glad you enjoyed it!

JdoubleA, KRubes and TomDRaleigh like this.
  10. OtherHalfHearted

OtherHalfHearted Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2016 North Carolina

Pretty "meh" on a lot of the Trophy NEIPAs lately. They seem to have settled in on a core recipe and just sub in/sub out the hops here and there (can't blame them, that's what Other Half, Veil, etc. all do)—but the recipe they settled on results in basically the same beer every time.

It's clear they've mastered a lot of the other #hypecans plays (quirky can art, juice/fruit/haze-related and/or hip-hop-inspired beer names) but as the market gets more and more saturated they all just kinda fall into one big unmemorable mess.

Contrast with the focused, intentional approach you see from a Bhavana—I know exactly what I'll get from Grove or Pithy any time I get it—and it's no contest.

Good pizza tho.

ASUBeer, NCGreg, Andy311x and 2 others like this.
  11. Dtrain22

Dtrain22 Initiate (41) Nov 2, 2017 North Carolina

....one big unmemorable mess. That really nails it to be completely honest. It’s one after the other. Nothing truly special, desirable, or very different about any of them. They aren’t bad, not saying that at all. Definitely drinkable. Just taking advantage of the hype (well done, no shame!) and unmemorable. I don’t see myself buying any of the four packs anytime soon. And I hate to say that about one of our local breweries, but meh, it is what it is. I still love to chill at Maywood or grab some pizza and that won’t stop.

Bhavana! Time, care, quality, consistency. Can’t compare.

Andy311x likes this.
  12. DrivinNCryin

DrivinNCryin Initiate (0) Aug 21, 2017 South Carolina

Really, really enjoyed Resident Culture's output this month. Thunder Stud, Beer Legs, Turnstyle, are all excellent NE IPAs that are on par with Veil, et al.

inspektor and Macsimus like this.
  13. Crim122

Crim122 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina

A few years ago I never thought I'd want to spend a birthday in Charlotte. But I'm going to do my 30th there basically to visit Resident and OMB. I'll visit other places obviously but those are the two I'm most excited about.

lateralusbeer and Dtrain22 like this.
  14. Dtrain22

If anyone is interested, Pelagic in dtr has a great draft selection today. A couple selections from fonta flora including Hop Beard mountain man ipa, my fave dipa right now - from Burial - consequences of humanity, and another burial selection, a new anthem selection, a new hopfly selection, and some others. Quality being brought for nc beer month! Enjoy if you have a chance!

Andy311x and CavemanRamblin like this.
  15. CavemanRamblin

Deactivated

The Vapors from New Anthem was really darn impressive. Definitely up there with the best I’ve had from them.

Dtrain22 likes this.
  16. kingkung

kingkung Initiate (0) Mar 14, 2018 North Carolina

The revamped Ass Clown Imperial was top notch

Subcontrabass likes this.
  17. Dtrain22

I’ll second that for the vapors from new anthem. Very very impressive. Made me compare it to burial’s consequences. It was certainly one of the best I’ve had from NA. Should’ve come home with some cans but oh well. Maybe it’ll find raleigh soon. Also Steez dropping soon and that should find its way around the triangle in some capacity. Also had the long needle and was very pleased. Extremely tasty NEIPA with piney/spruce vibes.

18. NCGreg

NCGreg Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2016 North Carolina

Second the Long Needle--was very impressed at the quality that NA Is churning out. Seems they've dialed in the quality. I recently had them on the same level as wilmington brewing co., but they have surpassed them now IMO. Hard to find cans of it outside of tastybev-lake boone trl though at least in Raleigh.

Dtrain22 likes this.
  19. inspektor

inspektor Zealot (501) Jun 20, 2009 North Carolina
    Trader

The current batch of The Savages of Ruminating Minds by Burial gets my vote!!

Dtrain22 and Bfairhurst74 like this.
  20. TomDRaleigh

TomDRaleigh Initiate (104) Feb 8, 2016 North Carolina

This is the first time I can recall seeing Heist on draft in the triangle. Both are worthy contenders for best in the state.

21. miguel_loves_beer

miguel_loves_beer Initiate (46) Feb 7, 2017

beer study had heist on recently.

22. Andy311x

Andy311x Initiate (0) Apr 28, 2008 North Carolina

I thought New Anthem's latest Five Thieves (DDH Galaxy) was outstanding!

23. dogleg_left

Trader

Agree, the Five Thieves DDH Galaxy and the Throwing Shade can releases were both delicious, hazy, and soft. They released Kill The Headlights on tap last week... yet another incredible IPA. New Anthem is cranking out some of the best IPAs in the country, not just the state. New Anthem recently announced that they are building out another brewery location at 15,000 sq. ft. Rumor is that the Dock St. location downtown will be used for an expansion of their barrel program.

Macsimus and Andy311x like this.
  24. mcd432

mcd432 Initiate (64) Jul 23, 2015 North Carolina

Solid offerings for sure but can you elaborate further as to who in the country you are comparing them against? Clearly with an overall ranking of 4.16 on BA NA is getting some favorable reviews but a quick look at the top rated beers on BA and Untappd (at present anyway) doesn't show any sign of NA.

ShabamJenkins likes this.
  25. c64person

c64person Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2010 Michigan

Yeah, best in the country might be quite a stretch. New Anthem is making very solid IPAs though, and I am very happy to have them in NC where I can get them regularly when I don't have my own homebrews on tap.

mcd432 and ShabamJenkins like this.
  26. miguel_loves_beer

miguel_loves_beer Initiate (46) Feb 7, 2017

definitely a stretch.

I've had the best IPAs that NA has put out and I've enjoyed drinking them, but they don't touch the best stuff in the country.

lateralusbeer and ShabamJenkins like this.
  27. mcd432

Same here.

Cheers!

28. dogleg_left

Trader

Importance here of context, I claimed "some of the best IPAs" in the country and not best in the country. New Anthem is a relatively unknown brewery in a small city with lots of breweries. Ratings are relevant, but scale of market, and scale of hype both factor into ratings.

In my opinion, New Anthem IPAs stand up to Tree House, Monkish, Other Half, Bissel, and Hill Farmstead releases. Maybe I am suffering from localism. I am certainly guilty of hyperbole here, but I feel this brewery deserves it. Just a bold opinion to draw attention to great beer on a forum with enthusiasts for great beer.

I send Brewery Bhavana, Heist, Burial, New Anthem and Wilmington Brewing IPAs as extras with regular trade partners. New Anthem offerings are the only beers that ever get a holy crap type of response from trade partners. New Anthem is really cranking out spectacular IPAs. New Anthem releases are relatively easy to get due to the lack of hype here in Wilmington.

Seek these releases out, you won't be disappointed.

29. Macsimus

Macsimus Initiate (178) Feb 19, 2014 California
    Trader

^^^shhhhhhhhhhh

30. NCGreg

NCGreg Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2016 North Carolina

Hope Bhavana cans Pulp (galaxy-hopped dipa). From their instagram/untapped ratings it appears to be another winner. Can never have enough galaxy dipas in the fridge imo.

Andy311x, TomDRaleigh and dogleg_left like this.
  31. mcd432

WHOA! You may be suffering from something and I am not so sure it is localism? Just messin with you regardless and we are all entitled to our opinions but Hill Farmstead? Yikes...

c64person likes this.
  32. dogleg_left

Trader

Yes, Throwing Shade is in the same orbit as HF Citra in my warped world. Hill Farmstead gets the nod in my book here, but it's not that big of a stretch.

I'll even take a leap off the pier... Thru My Trees from New Anthem is a brilliant progression of the hazy IPA style, https://untappd.com/b/new-anthem-beer-project-thru-my-trees/2049260. Aaron Skiles is bringing Belgian farmhouse influences into IPA and nailing it.

I've had an obscenely unfair share of Tree House, Hill Farmstead, Bissel, etc. New Anthem is deserving of high marks. I am not saying that New Anthem IPAs are better, but I am saying that they are in the same league.

I hope everyone reading here realizes that I know that I am out to lunch! I am not trying to stir up a hornets nest. Just a converted fan.

Resident Culture is also knocking it out of the park, but it's not my local ballpark.

#1432 dogleg_left, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
  33. mcd432

Guess we'll bring some NA cans with us when we head back up to NE in a bit. Curious to see what the feedback is.

34. JdoubleA

JdoubleA Aspirant (261) Apr 27, 2011 North Carolina

Had some heist "not from concentrate" on draft the other day and dug the shit out of it.

In other news, the only NEIPA worth a damn at hickory hops was from Boojum. Everybody elses was a straight mess.

35. DrivinNCryin

DrivinNCryin Initiate (0) Aug 21, 2017 South Carolina

Not From Concentrate cans are really solid.

had a New Anthem Throwing Shade and it was great. A little green hop burn, but was fine.

Fire Walk with Me by res culture is another winner. seriously can not say enough good things about their house culture / yeast they are using for their base in their NE IPAs. Really good stuff.

I don't think it's that much of a stretch to compare NA and Res Culture to Trillium and Tree house , Veil et al. I've had enough of each and will say that the bar just keeps getting raised higher and higher. These south east breweries have caught on to the NE style and are making some that are very comparable.

36. Bfairhurst74

Bfairhurst74 Initiate (151) Nov 16, 2014 North Carolina

I think resident culture & heist are probably better than veil. I’ve had a lot of different veil ipas and can’t say I was ever blown away. Something about them that I, personally don’t like. I know I’m in the minority on that tho.

37. Benighted88

Benighted88 Initiate (90) Jan 10, 2016 North Carolina
    Trader

To Streak Blood Across My Brow from Burial is probably my favorite IPA to come out of NC. It was very reminiscent of TH Green. Definitely the best IPA Burial has ever produced imo.

38. Dtrain22

Loving the new anthem love and I’m digging how much I find their stuff around raleigh now. Also this week’s fave for me has been southern pines new mosaic AF. Considering I haven’t liked that much of what they’ve put out, Mosaic AF is really damn good. Back to new anthem, neon god on draft at bottle rev any day now.

39. kingkung

kingkung Initiate (0) Mar 14, 2018 North Carolina

I can second this. It was on par if not better than quite a few Other Half beers I've had

Benighted88 likes this.
  40. aleckpa

aleckpa Zealot (576) Dec 20, 2010 North Carolina

^This.

Bfairhurst74 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.