Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

NE IPAs in Michigan?

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by elNopalero, Dec 10, 2016.

1. AnchorDrops

AnchorDrops Aspirant (271) May 11, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I had a couple howlers filled last weekend and definitely would say M-43 is very close to Treehouse level, Green in particular.

2. That_Bearded_Guy

That_Bearded_Guy Disciple (324) Jan 25, 2016 Michigan
    Beer Trader

My thoughts exactly. "Very Close" being dead on accurate. Id still take flagship treehouse over M-43. Things like Julius, Alter Ego, Green, Haze, etc. However id take M-43 over Bright any day.

3. nachos

nachos Initiate (95) Jun 4, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

What beers from Railtown are NE style? I'm moving to Grand Rapids this summer and love me some juicy, hazy hop drinks.

4. BEERschlitz

BEERschlitz Zealot (585) Oct 13, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Yea, this is news to me as well. Didn't think they had anything in that style.

nachos likes this.
  5. AnchorDrops

Beer Trader

They purportedly have a DIPA that they put on tap occasionally. I can't confirm it is indeed a NE style, though.

6. Zaphog

Zaphog Poo-Bah (2,088) Sep 23, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Finally tried M43 the other day. That stuff is fantastic!
    [​IMG]
    M43>Transient hops

Jmorey likes this.
  7. BEERschlitz

Beer Trader

Whoa whoa whoa, hey now... Hah. I need to try the new recipe of M-43 then, because what I had earlier this year was okay, but not on Transients level at the time.

Zaphog likes this.
  8. nachos

nachos Initiate (95) Jun 4, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Bummer!

9. Lazhal

Lazhal Aspirant (283) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Another 75 cases of M43 release tomorrow at the brewery. 1 case limit.

Page 2 is not acceptable for this thread.

10. trginter

trginter Aspirant (272) Dec 1, 2008 Michigan
    Beer Trader

No talk of Juice being released in cans?

11. jaybes

jaybes Initiate (160) Jan 25, 2014 Michigan
    Beer Trader

...um have you had M43?

Kidding. Distro or brewery only?

12. KBS

KBS Disciple (324) Apr 25, 2014 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Transient better rethink a little. Love JIL but M43 is awesome, seems to be made more often, is cheaper, seeing distro and I've been able to find draft. If they keep this up there will really be no reason to travel for, or trade for JIL.

13. croush

croush Zealot (564) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Is M43 available regularly from the brewery? I'm coming back to SE MI for my kids' spring break next month (yeah, I know...exotic locale for spring break), and wondering if there's any chance of seeing it in distribution or if I'll have to go to the brewery for draft/crowler/growler (or just be SOL because it isn't always there).

Also, I see they serve food - is it kid friendly?

14. gashmoney

gashmoney Aspirant (290) Apr 10, 2013 Michigan

They seem to be releasing M-43 pretty much weekly lately and almost always have some sort of NEIPA on tap. From what I hear they're upping production on it as well so it should be even more available soon. Food is awesome and it's very kid friendly.

Junior and croush like this.
  15. gashmoney

Just made the trek for JiL. I don't really see the comparison with M-43. They seem like totally different beers. JiL is fantastic but isn't really even all that hazy. Super soft mouthfeel and lots of subtle fruity flavors. Meanwhile M-43 is hazy as shit and practically destroys your taste buds with it's acidic nature from all the hops. Absolutely love em both but they're so different I think there's room for both.

DrinktotheDead and Greenstone like this.
  16. croush

Beer Trader

Awesome - hopefully I can at least make a detour to it on my way back to Chicago. It really doesn't add that much time to the drive, so perhaps I can take the family in for a lunch.

gashmoney likes this.
  17. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Meyvn (1,195) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Beer Church in New Buffalo, MI has a NE IPA; anyone try it? My parents are 10 minutes away, I'm wondering if I should invoke my familial mule rites.

Prager62 likes this.
  18. KBS

Beer Trader

I a
    I agree they are not exactly the same and I love JIL. Just saying I wouldn't feel the need to make the trek when something will be made available more often and in distro and cheaper that will satisfy my need for the style (even though they are different). A few friends in the area are saying the same so that may translates to others as well which was my point. Maybe not explained well in the first post.

Jmorey and gashmoney like this.
  19. KBS

Beer Trader

Yes. On their website they explain they have experimented with different batches to both perfect the recipe and to be able to scale it in production. That translates to me much higher production quantities and made more often. They also explain the need to "strike while the irons hot" which also means a big focus on the style and that particular beer. Great for SW/Mid Michigan. I hope JIL will also see some distro in the future too.

20. P739397

P739397 Initiate (123) Feb 13, 2017 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Reading that m43 has some distro, is it something that gets to the west side of the state? I'll be around Union Pier pretty often and would love to try their beer.

21. Prager62

Prager62 Poo-Bah (1,557) May 7, 2010 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Decent enough beer with an IPA and DIPA, but nothing I'd consider a NE style at the moment. It's a cool building that's currently a work in progress. They're doing a collaboration with Transient which I'll be curious to try. My favorite of the four on tap is the Midnight In A Perfect World imperial stout. A pretty good deal at $12 a crowler.

GuyFawkes likes this.
  22. trginter

Beer Trader

Haha, I have and I prefer m43.

Brewery only I believe.

But hey, we have choices! Finally.

Jmorey likes this.
  23. AnchorDrops

Beer Trader

Its amazing that not a single brewery in GR has appeared to jump on this opportunity. I'm not sure if this style is a fad or something that will be sustained over time, just surprising that with all the breweries in and around Grand Rapids, it isn't happening.

24. PrestigeWorldwide

PrestigeWorldwide Devotee (421) Sep 22, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

They've had 3 releases in the last week and a half, so seems like it will be a regular occurrence. They do also offer dome of their beers to go. Place is very kid friendly and has great food (or so I hear, haven't had it myself). Service can be pretty slow though, so you'll need to be patient.....

I think they've piloted some distribution to select accounts, so I think full scale distro is not far away.

I agree with the general sentiment on the last few pages. Why go to Transient or trade for trillium if you have M43 in the neighborhood? M43 is satisfying my NEIPA cravings and it's hard to beat the convenience and price-point (at least for us locals).

Jmorey likes this.
  25. trginter

Beer Trader

Or Kalamazoo really. It's really more about it being a fad or not. So many people enjoy that style of beer.

26. BEERschlitz

Beer Trader

I will say, I preferred Transient offerings (especially JIL, Obligatory, and Flightless) over M-43 quite a bit when M-43 initially came out. Thanks to @KevinJohnson2 I was able to try a can from one of their recent releases and I'll say they've bumped up the quality considerably. I'll be happy when it's widely and easily available year round.

27. gashmoney

So how about Transient? Flightless and JiL available right now! (attempts to divert attention from M-43):wink:

Greenstone likes this.
  28. KevinL

KevinL Disciple (381) Aug 5, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Picked up M-43 at a local shop here in SWMI earlier this week. Head to head, I prefer Obligatory from Transient. Obligatory wasn't quite as soft, but the juiciness popped for me a little bit more. Regardless, both are very good, and to be 15 minutes from easy access to both is fantastic.

29. BEERschlitz

Beer Trader

Just had Flightless... Guhhh. Best hops Transient (or anyone in MI) has put out to date. Could have told me it was Trillium and I'd believe you.

cetherid likes this.
  30. KBS

Beer Trader

Did they change the recipe? I thought it was really solid but not as good as JIL or M43 when I had it. Still haven't tried Obligatory, unfortunately.

Zaphog likes this.
  31. cetherid

cetherid Devotee (411) Aug 23, 2010 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Place was underwhelming. The NE IPA was nothing special. Would rather drink month old zombie dust IMO.

GuyFawkes likes this.
  32. cetherid

cetherid Devotee (411) Aug 23, 2010 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Agreed. My favorite hoppy beer from them. This batch a little different from the first but still may favorite transient to date.

33. AnchorDrops

Beer Trader

Obligatory is actually my favorite hoppy beer from Transient although the first batch of Flightless was quite good.

Zaphog and KBS like this.
  34. Jmorey

Jmorey Disciple (321) Feb 10, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

As of now they are still selling out of the releases at the brewery day of. But as others mentioned we've had 3 releases in under 2 weeks. If for some reason it looks like you will miss it based on your travel time, but there is a release a little before that, PM me and I can help you out. I am 7 min from ON... You'd still have to detour but can make sure you get cans.

Glad people are getting to retry it. When it first came out it was okay, but not there yet. The tweaks to the recipe have done it well and for anyone that had it earlier I hope they can try the newer batches. Instead of comparing the not finished recipe to others.

I really want to try flightless. But the drive with the shitty weather today. And other weekend plans, it's not happening. One of these days...

PrestigeWorldwide and croush like this.
  35. BEERschlitz

Beer Trader

Obligatory was my favorite too, until tonight...

AnchorDrops likes this.
  36. croush

Beer Trader

Very gracious of you. I'll let you know as it gets closer.

37. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Meyvn (1,469) Aug 29, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

It is surprising. But I wonder if there's some sort of logistical advantage for brewers that are smaller and newer to make the effort to do the shift. I'm completely talking out of my ass here, but based on Old Nation's continued triangulation of the recipe and Ellison's consistency struggles (as well as reports of struggles from various other brewers doing NE IPAs), it sounds like there may be considerable time investment in getting it right, at least at first.

Places like Old Nation and Ellison are relatively new to the market and haven't really established a foothold. Spending the time to get this substyle right is an investment in their future and could ultimately be make or break on their long term success. That same urgency doesn't exist for a place like Founders, just to name one. Even a place like Perrin is a bit more established and clearly has good arrangements with distributors and retailers by proxy. To those places, spending that triangulation time is time away from producing tried and true beers that seem to be selling pretty well.

And it's one of those things where if you're going to enter into the market with a NE IPA at this point, it sure as hell needs to be on point right away, lest you get it wrong and get labeled as "cashing in" on the trend. The market is pretty competitive for new entries. After all, hazy, juicy IPAs are the rage right now, but there are plenty of other things that are still popular as well. Perhaps it's just that jumping into the market with a NE IPA offering isn't an easy thing to do.

38. ClarkstonMark

ClarkstonMark Initiate (140) Feb 21, 2016 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Missed Transient's releases last week. Anyone know if they will they be releasing any hops this week? Looking to get some for myself and a buddy out east if I can.

39. ColonelHopslam

ColonelHopslam Disciple (334) Jan 22, 2014 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Good amount of Flightless there yesterday. Great batch too.

BEERschlitz likes this.
  40. ClarkstonMark

ClarkstonMark Initiate (140) Feb 21, 2016 Michigan
    Beer Trader

That will suffice, assuming it is there on Thursday. Thanks Colonel!

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.