NE IPAs in SW MI?

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by elNopalero, Dec 10, 2016.

1. azurel

azurel Disciple (323) May 27, 2016 Michigan
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I share this idea as well.... with the ever continuing pressure from customers for the absolute freshest IPA these smaller breweries are brewing and "canning" before the beers truly blend. So we are tasting a beer that constitutes the some of the parts....After a week or so of conditioning(blending, changing) they become what they are supposed to be.

I think people for get this is chemistry and sometimes it takes a bit of time for the parts to meld.

Mothergoose03 likes this.
  2. PrestigeWorldwide

PrestigeWorldwide Aspirant (291) Sep 22, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I certainly don't dispute the existence of the phenomenon. And I suppose this does get into a philosophical question of whether to release the beer "when it's ready" or to sell it to consumers hoping they know to wait a few weeks to open it. One could then debate the merits of releasing such a beer on New Year's Eve Eve.

When the taps were getting foamy at the release on Friday, Ellison started pouring from cans. So they were serving us beer from a can that need a couple more weeks in the can? :confused:

I contrast this with Old Nation who pushed back the release of M43 because it was "not ready". I believe they intended it to be released before Christmas. Though I can't blame Ellison for wanting to release all of their beers in one swoop as opposed to a couple different releases.

Finally, had a Juice on tap last night and it was quite good, perhaps still a little acidic. Had an M43 from the can later in the evening and probably preferred it slightly. I second the sentiment that M43 from the can was better than the draft pour at Old Nation on Friday. It's good to know that others feel the same way and I'm not crazy! :)

Junior, AnchorDrops and azurel like this.
  3. Jmorey

Jmorey Disciple (300) Feb 10, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

The two main issues I have would be

1. If it truly does need to condition a little. That's fine. But that is putting a product to market that isn't ready. That's a quick way way to lose customers if people open those up and they don't taste good because they needed more time. I get the "getting super fresh IPAs" but as a customer we wouldn't know if they finished brewing them yesterday or if they finished two weeks ago and then let them mellow out before canning. I'd argue the brewing isn't done until it is what you intended. Mellowing or not.

Three of us sitting there on Friday and we barely made it through a mug.

2. I had ddh Galaxy on 11/29 as well. I'll argue day and night that this wasn't the same beer. Wish I had a photo of it the first time... My untappd description was "cloudy as f$#k". What I had on Friday was slightly hazy. But not super cloudy. Yes the keg could have been stirred previously. But the first time I also got such an acidic burn from it my tounge was tingling like I had went to the dentist and got novacaine. This was better as it didn't feel like my tounge was asleep. But I still didn't like it.

Again, could just be me not liking it. But all 3 of us had similar opinions.

PrestigeWorldwide and Junior like this.
  4. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Meyvn (1,439) Aug 29, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I think there is still some debate as to just how easy it is to scale up the NE style of IPA. All the NE style heavyweights do things on a scale that is orders of magnitude smaller than Founders or Bells.

I don't brew, so take everything I say with a grain of salt, but until we see someone produce a NE style IPA on a larger scale, I'm going to presume that it's a difficult substyle to scale up.

Still, there's enough of a market for it that any state with a large beer culture should be seeing smaller breweries doing this locally.

5. BEERschlitz

BEERschlitz Zealot (567) Oct 13, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Agreed with this whole heartedly. I feel like it's not even just ramping up production of that style either. Most small batch beers that Founder's has brewed in the past (think Lizard of Koz for the black party, etc.) have been great, yet when they do the same beer for their large scale nation wide releases, the quality seems to suffer. I'm guessing if Founder's ever does nail a NE style IPA, it'll be a small batch, draft only offering. Really hoping a smaller place in GR catches on to this style soon though, it's tough justifying all of that drive time with a family full of little kids.

6. Junior

Junior Aspirant (241) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I hadn't had DDH Galaxy before and I would add that You Can Get With That Juice did not taste the same as their previous release, IMO. Not sure if this is the intent of the brewery. I guess I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on this one as I am a big fan of most of their offerings and all of my previous experiences there were great. If this had been my introduction to Ellison that definitely would not be the case. I was really looking forward to trying DDH Galaxy for the first time and to having Juice again. I was very impressed with the initial release and enjoyed several bottles. Something was definitely off with the first (and only) can of DDH Galaxy that we opened Friday. I am hopeful that these will taste better in a week or two, but who knows.

I am glad to have a source like BeerAdvocate to learn that conditioning would even be an option. I never would have guessed that one could buy beer that was 'too fresh'.

PrestigeWorldwide likes this.
  7. PrestigeWorldwide

Beer Trader

Please report back on your findings in a week or two.

8. gashmoney

gashmoney Aspirant (283) Apr 10, 2013 Michigan

Agree with what others are saying, the DDH Galaxy is kind of a bitter mess right now. Dawn Street was a nice surprise as I hadn't tried it before, very crushable. I also felt like JUICE was better the first time around but then I had another can last night and I thought it was pretty great all over again. Fingers crossed the Galaxy chills the F out.

Jmorey likes this.
  9. AnchorDrops

AnchorDrops Aspirant (254) May 11, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I only bought a 4pk of the DDH Galaxy, counting my blessings now, very disappointed with the one can I drank, and the other three went to friends with a "wait a week or two" warning. Old Nation definitely has impressed me with M-43, Ellison not so much overall.

10. That_Bearded_Guy

That_Bearded_Guy Aspirant (274) Jan 25, 2016 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Relativity. Without a doubt their best beer and 10x better than "juice" why they decided to can any of the recent releases over that beer is surprising to me. Agree with everyone else here though DDH galaxy is not very good and honestly, I highly doubt 2 weeks is going to change that. Although, I did open a juice bomber from the first realease about 3 weeks ago and it was tasting remarkably better than I had to remember it being. Maybe Ellison beers just need a month and a half on them to reach their peak? Either way, I have very little hope for galaxy.

11. AnchorDrops

Beer Trader

Has anyone actually seen North Peak Stormy Oat IPA in the wild? Doesn't seem like its hit distribution in Grand Rapids or even points north up to Cadillac. Reviews seem quite favorable, maybe due to generally low expectations from North Peak?

12. Sparty1224

Sparty1224 Disciple (365) Jun 18, 2014 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Drinking my NP Stormy right now. Disclaimer: I don't think I've even had a true "NE-style" IPA before, so I'm not sure what I'm looking for. But as a beer in general, this one is just okay. It's par for the course for North Peak and pretty much a middle of the road IPA. There is a bit of juicy punch up front, but the finish is a bit too bitter for me. It does have a nice hazy appearance though.

13. AnchorDrops

Beer Trader

I found a 6pk on the way home. The bitter piney finish is somewhat a detraction from an otherwise decent take on the style. Regardless, it's still the best beer I have had from North Peak. The price point and availability is a plus.

TurboBrew likes this.
  14. croush

croush Devotee (467) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Not looking at your other comments, I'd say this doesn't mean too much! ;)

15. red94tt

red94tt Disciple (379) Nov 27, 2008 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Agreed. Cracked open some DDH Galaxy tonight and was also not a fan:

[​IMG]

Maybe it was wrong of me to assume this beer itself was going to lean towards a NE style but like others have mentioned, it's a bitter/floral mess.

16. AnchorDrops

Beer Trader

Ironically, the most expensive beer was the worst.

I wish I had just went to Old Nation that morning, TBH.

Jmorey and red94tt like this.
  17. BEERschlitz

BEERschlitz Zealot (567) Oct 13, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Hey don't start that pricing talk...lol

18. PrestigeWorldwide

Beer Trader

And the first beer to sell out.

If it's priced higher it must be better!

Jmorey likes this.
  19. Junior

Junior Aspirant (241) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Or maybe because it was in the smallest supply. 50 cases vs 200 cases of the Juice.

20. PrestigeWorldwide

Beer Trader

:rolleyes:...thought the winky face was sufficiently implied....

That_Bearded_Guy likes this.
  21. Jmorey

Beer Trader

still standing by my "not the same as the first time i had ddh galaxy" and that photo helps. my description was "cloudy as fuck" the first time, really wish i had a photo. And your pour doesn't look cloudy to me.

For anyone interested though. Crescent Fresh cans are going to be happening soon.

22. AnchorDrops

Beer Trader

I'll save my money for Old Nation's next release.

23. Jmorey

Beer Trader

As much as I enjoy m43, it is still leaving me with something to be desired in the style. I get almost no after taste, it's just there and gone. But on the right track.

24. MIbeer27

MIbeer27 Disciple (315) Jul 26, 2014 Michigan

I'll second this take. Reminds me a lot of Short's Superfluid. Hopefully Ron Jefferies continues to take notes from Tired Hands and Monkish on this style.

25. LambicPentameter

Beer Trader

I had Crescent Fresh on tap at Sidetrack in Ypsi last weekend. It was a very tasty IPA on par with any of the best Michigan IPAs, but not one that I would consider in the NE style by any means...

[​IMG]

BEERschlitz likes this.
  26. Jmorey

Beer Trader

Totally agree. this is my trusty standby (and relativity) when I go to Ellison.

Looks for crescent cans in the near future.

27. trginter

trginter Aspirant (266) Dec 1, 2008 Michigan
    Beer Trader

There's a Bigg brewery downtown Kalamazoo that occasionally has some NE style beers on tap.

28. PrestigeWorldwide

Beer Trader

The one thing that I will say about Witch's Hat This Guy, is that it is remarkably consistent. I've had it several times on draft and from both of their bottle releases and I'd be hard pressed to detect a difference between them.

I don't think the same could be said for Ellison and even Old Nation's M-43. Decent amount of batch variation and differences between draft and cans.

But Witch's Hat may not be running into the same "scaling up" issues that the other two are having. And maybe WH has a bit more experience with bottling/canning.

29. croush

croush Devotee (467) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Should this thread be re-titled to be "NE IPA's in MI"? Seems like Witch's Hat, Ellison and others don't quite fall into SW MI. ;)

30. ClarkstonMark

ClarkstonMark Initiate (129) Feb 21, 2016 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Good idea

31. LambicPentameter

Beer Trader

I guess I wouldn't consider East Lansing to be in SW MI either, but I'm relatively new to the state, so it's possible I'm just not getting something.

32. foundersasap

foundersasap Aspirant (222) Feb 2, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

This Guy was available this past weekend, 4 pack bottle, $13. Outstanding DIPA

Swannyku likes this.
  33. Lazhal

Lazhal Aspirant (249) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Lagunitas Born Yesterday most recent batch was as much of a NE IPA as M43 is. $12 a six pack and nearly the whole county got it.

This style can be produced on a large scale if the brewer knows how.

Chuckdiesel24 likes this.
  34. AnchorDrops

Beer Trader

Somehow I missed that release, was this the one back in October?

North Peak's release of Stormy seems to demonstrate that it can at least be accomplished on a regional level. Its nearly a month old now and tastes quite good, maybe better than when it was fresher. It is certainly less bitter.

35. Lazhal

Lazhal Aspirant (249) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Yes. My untappd check in was Oct 25. I think I was a couple weeks late to the party on this brew too.

36. Jmorey

Beer Trader

I didn't get a really bitter finish off it. A little lighter than some other offerings but not that hazy.

It was enjoyable and the price isn't bad. But I don't know if I would pick it up normally.

37. AnchorDrops

Beer Trader

o_O It certainly has a fair amount of suspended particulates. The haze doesn't create the flavors, its a byproduct of the process.

38. Jmorey

Beer Trader

wasn't implying the haze makes the flavor, just an observation that it didn't seem that hazy to me. It was a small sample cup, so not a ton to look at.

39. AnchorDrops

Beer Trader

Maybe you should pour a full glass?

[​IMG]

TurboBrew likes this.
  40. loganburgh

loganburgh Zealot (527) Nov 23, 2010 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Does anyone know if Ellison chimed in on the issue with their DDH Galaxy Evo canning?

Loved that beer on tap, but cans are an undrinkable mess. I just opened another thinking that maybe it was a little green when fresh but it's just as bad as two weeks ago.

grossag likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe