NEBCo G-Bot and Imperial Stout Trooper (IST) Lookout Thread

Discussion in 'New England' started by MikeM417, Dec 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xanok

xanok Aspirant (269) Aug 13, 2009 Connecticut

I mean, they're a business. I can understand trying to generate excitement if it means more money for them. That's the point after all. And hell, I don't even mind paying a little bit more for a bomber or a six pack from time to time. But like I said above, they are basically forcing people to buy two Hags and one Bot if they want an IST. Not acceptable practice.

2. oasisfan35

oasisfan35 Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2006 Connecticut

$8.99 'round here.
    I'm very curious as to why NEBCo chose to go can for this years IST release... Their local distro has been in functioning shambles for years now and the can-as-currency market for trading is at an absolute high.

I'll add: the behind the counter, in the back cooler, secret handshake method that CT package stores are currently engaging in is despicable.

3. dortenzio1991

dortenzio1991 Initiate (0) Aug 12, 2011 Connecticut

Probably because bottling by hand takes a huge amount of time and I imagine they were already crunched getting everything up and running. Same with BA IST delay Id imagine. Also not sure how much they brewed this year but theres 96 more oz/case doing 12oz can vs 16oz bottle

4. RMoeNay

RMoeNay Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2010 Connecticut

I don't understand why all we do is complain about the stores in CT and how we hate their crapy tactics... Then at the next release of semi-rare or hyped beer we are right back asking and shopping at that same Establishment. You really want it to stop, stop shopping at these places. However, like I said no-one can cause we "need" that rare beer. It is why we never mention the Establishment because if we do someone might get that beer before us when it hits next time. We have done this to ourselves.

5. PenningtonNY10

PenningtonNY10 Initiate (162) Nov 20, 2009 Connecticut

Yep, never gonna happen. Stuff like this won't change without laws. Doubtful that ever happens.

6. xanok

I know it's just me, but I've stopped with that shit. I went to the few stores I follow on Facebook and came up empty, and ended it there. When BCBS came out, I did a bit of traveling to get a few bottles, but I went to places that put it on the shelf. I'd rather grab a four-pack of Founders RIS or go to Steady Habit and get a few growlers than deal with this shit.

Robtobfest and RMoeNay like this.
  7. skleice

skleice Aspirant (275) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

I also boycott stores that gouge and play games. I have a couple stores nearby that do it right and I stick with them. I refuse to support it. When a local store tried to charge me $18 for a single BCBS, I told him it was ridiculous and walked out. I'll never return. FWIW I got my BC case in MA while I was up there for $7.99 each.

8. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2009 Connecticut

Kays is expensive BUT they are very good sales pexpletive for sure. I hate the mix four pack, mix six pack shit that they pull too. Also, cannot stand that they do not have prices on anything! They really are a buck to three bucks higher on everything going too.

9. freshcarl

freshcarl Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2013 Connecticut

IST hit Putnam/Thompson area today, could only find one store that had them though. I'm sure they are gone by now, but if you're in the area Putnam Spirits had them, and plenty of SoS, Super Session, Capt Daughter to go around.

10. PenningtonNY10

I would only go to Manchester W&L for the longest time. I no longer work in Manchester so that's not as easy now. Always thought they were super fair with limited releases. They'd send out an email and that's about it. No handshake needed.

Anyways, like a lot of you I stopped hunting these beers. I didn't even bother with BCBS. I would also rather go to Steady Habit (I live in Middletown) and then pick up a few things at Tony's.

NobleJayJesse, RMoeNay and Shyla987 like this.
  11. Ralelen

Ralelen Initiate (0) Sep 12, 2005 Connecticut

Stay away from Park View in West Hartford, they gouge everything. They were changing $15.00 for a DFH 120. God knows what they charged for a BCBS. I think they were also going 2 Gandhi Bots with 2 Sea Hags, and 1 KBS with 3 Breakfast Stouts a while ago. Last year they were charging $17.00 for a sixer of Nugget Nectar. Anyways, sorry for hijacking the thread, but I also remember two years ago when IST would sit on the shelf for months at certain stores. Funny how times have changed.

RMoeNay likes this.
  12. skleice

Just talked to a friend that said Maximum Beverage in WH was selling a 4 pack of 1 IST, 1 Grapefruit Sculpin, 1 Super Session & another random beer. Sadly, they bought it. Don't know how much $. SMH

13. eajb24

eajb24 Initiate (0) May 26, 2005 Connecticut

Anybody know what the fine folks at NEBCO think of this practice? Mix packs of GBOT,Hag, and IST.

14. Slinkeril

Slinkeril Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2015 Connecticut

Place in naugatuck tried to charge me $30 for a 4 pack of g-bot, and another in bethany wanted $5.50 for a single can, Neither had IST but claimed they would get it next week, and i sure as hell wont be returning cause ill bet theyll want $30+ a 4 pack.
    Amity wine and spirits in Hamden had cans of IST yesterday, but you can only buy 1 for $5, This BS is getting out of hand, and needs to stop.

Any other leads on IST?

15. von_kaiser

von_kaiser Crusader (735) Feb 19, 2014 Connecticut
    Trader

wait for it to go on tap

16. eajb24

eajb24 Initiate (0) May 26, 2005 Connecticut

What was the place in Naugatuck ?

17. Kozaka

Kozaka Defender (629) Apr 25, 2006 Connecticut
    Society Trader

They disapprove and discourage customers from shopping at those stores.

18. Pisthetaerus

Pisthetaerus Initiate (126) Dec 3, 2014 Connecticut

And then those stores whine about how they've always supported Nebco and how dare they treat them like this. Meanwhile Southington W&S still had $8 4 packs of sea hag despite the fact that other stores are getting it pretty regularly now. Stores like that are going to look more and more stupid as availability increases and they keep on trying to gouge.

Personally I don't mind the mix packs as long as they're not too much over msrp, unfortunately, most stores that resort to that practice tend to gouge.

Because there are only so many decent stores within a reasonable driving distance. Personally I only go to the worst offenders in my area as a last resort. They are occasionally honest about some releases so it's worth a try if I strike out everywhere else.

#178 Pisthetaerus, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  19. akeirans

akeirans Initiate (0) Apr 2, 2012 Connecticut

Scored a 4 pack at Stew Leonards in Norwalk yesterday afternoon. I think they have Gbot but he'd only give me one or the other.

20. NobleJayJesse

NobleJayJesse Initiate (0) Apr 8, 2015 Connecticut

Spot. Fucking. On.

mewithstewpid likes this.
  21. NobleJayJesse

NobleJayJesse Initiate (0) Apr 8, 2015 Connecticut

Can anyone confirm that this is actually legal to do? It seems so suspect.

22. akeirans

akeirans Initiate (0) Apr 2, 2012 Connecticut

I love the 'creativity' when they put these mixed 4/6 packs together. Always awful.

23. xanok

They frown on it and tell people not to shop there, but outside of that, they don't care.

24. xanok

Don't see how it's illegal. Stores break up six packs all the time. Don't see how making your own would be less legal.

25. Bcelos

Bcelos Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2015 Connecticut

i've personally stopped asking for beer if I don't see it in the cooler. A liquor store should be trying to get my business - I shouldn't have to go out of my way to spend my money.

Pisthetaerus and bootdown21 like this.
  26. bootdown21

bootdown21 Disciple (353) May 14, 2009 Connecticut
    Trader

Completely agree. Why don't CT store owners / managers just put everything on the shelf? If they think it's 'rare' then just put a limit on the per person purchase. How the fuck hard is that? Handshakes and email lists are just lame.

Pisthetaerus likes this.
  27. PenningtonNY10

And wouldn't it be less work for them if they just put it on the shelves? I always hear about stores employees being annoyed about getting too many phone calls and questions about X beer being in stock. They bring that on themselves. They will still get phone calls, but not as many, and well...that's part of the job anyways.

Pisthetaerus and bootdown21 like this.
  28. Pisthetaerus

Pisthetaerus Initiate (126) Dec 3, 2014 Connecticut

+1'd so hard. Every other damn retail store has to answer calls all day long, but like with a myriad of other things, package store owners/employees have somehow convinced themselves they are unique in this regard. If you don't want to deal with the calls, then don't carry the damn beer or just post it on social media with a limit first come first serve.

29. mrz200

mrz200 Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2013 Massachusetts

Can't speak to some of the practices in FFLD county, but the owner of the store I've been frequenting for SoS & G-bot (Berlin Spirits) says he doesn't put it out because he doesn't want it to "accidentally" get bought. He knows it's going to sell in days either way, and he'd like to see it go to someone who'll appreciate it. They've always been up front about what's in stock and when it's coming or been whenever I've asked or called. $13.99/4 pack for Sip. I stop in whenever I'm in the area, maybe get a big score, or maybe "just" Hag & Grey Sail. But he gets my business now and I have little reason to go elsewhere.

30. Homebrew

Homebrew Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2012 Connecticut

Ist showed up in middlesex. Sold em as 2pks for $6.49 what's wrong w/ that. At least double the people can get em

Evmo31 likes this.
  31. skleice

I have no prob there and that's a good price if it's for both!

32. Emmige1

Emmige1 Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2014 New York

I have no dog in this fight, but that particularly seems like it's doing a disservice to New England/Lawson's, no? Essentially eliminating a potential new customer for the brewey.

33. PenningtonNY10

Nothing at all wrong with that!

34. mrz200

mrz200 Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2013 Massachusetts

Super Session #2 is always prominently displayed, and is a much more gateway brew to someone that doesn't know what SoS is.

35. Kozaka

Kozaka Defender (629) Apr 25, 2006 Connecticut
    Society Trader

But who drinks Amarillo these days?!

36. Homebrew

Homebrew Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2012 Connecticut

yeah that's for both, the places getting $5 a can are just straight out f----ing people

this is also why I gave up on the list of close to 100 people I have to call that want g-bot,sos,cptn now it just goes in the door first come first serve, 1 per. it makes me happier seeing people that don't get the rare shit all the time having a shot at it

RMoeNay likes this.
  37. lic217

lic217 Champion (874) Aug 10, 2010 Connecticut
    Trader

This shit baffles me. I went into the packy and grabbed saison DuPont, founders imperial stout, ST Bernardus ABT 12, and SN Porter. They are all excellent to world class beers. They were on the shelf and IMO 3/4 of those are better then IST. 3/4 are better then bot or SOS. It appears that until this IPA craze dies down (if it ever does) this is what we are going to get. SOS and Bot are not that limited. There is a constant steady supply. IST makes a little more sense since it is limited, but if I remember correctly it's really good, but not mind blowing. Founders and Brooklyn both make an imperial stout that are equal to or better then IST IMO.

I do not ask for limited beers. It's a weird thing. However, i was offered captain duaghter on the above trip. They were hiding them. I bought them and gave them to a friend that really likes them (for the same price I bought them for). I think the 4 pack was 10.99.

NobleJayJesse and Ralelen like this.
  38. jaxon53

jaxon53 Meyvn (1,166) Mar 1, 2006 Connecticut
    Trader

What happened to ECP? I must be out of the loop...

NobleJayJesse likes this.
  39. skleice

Cracked my IST tonight. This is VERY sweet. It's good, but tbh I probably won't be chasin this train.

mewithstewpid likes this.
  40. Ralelen

Ralelen Initiate (0) Sep 12, 2005 Connecticut

This. 1000x.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.