Need a recommendation for Huntsville AL

Discussion in 'South' started by SaverioD, Sep 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SaverioD

SaverioD Initiate (0) Jun 1, 2013 Georgia

I have a friend who has a son who is visiting Huntsville, Al. He brews his own beers, currently a pumpkin porter.

I have looked up the Huntsville list of places to go and for craft beer but there were only a few choices. Can I get a recommendation? I saw Yellowhammer and The Nook. The Nook looks promising.

He likes hoppy IPAs but is more looking for a nice experience at a bar with beers he can't get in the west or a visit at a top local breweries.

Much appreciation in advance,

Saverio

PS, he will be there on business so he may not have a lot of time to go appreciably outside of Huntsville.

2. richj1970

richj1970 Poo-Bah (1,759) Oct 26, 2012 Alabama
    Subscriber Beer Trader

For bar / bottle shop, I would definitely go with Wish You Were Beer. Fantastic shop. Other local bottle shops with good selection would be Liquor Express and Great Spirits.

Local breweries with most taproom hours would be Straight to Ale and Blue Pants. Yellowhammer also nice but only open Saturdays. Salty Nut taproom opening soon.

Dining wise - Below the Radar, Drake's, Pie in the Sky, and Mellow Mushroom all have good selections.

3. Nanners

Nanners Initiate (0) Aug 15, 2013 Ohio

If he can make his way down to Birmingham I would highly recommend HOP CITY. As far as local brews...I highly recommend GOOD PEOPLE IPA. I also think that MONKEYNAUGHT IPA is from the huntsville area. It was good as well.

4. Hendrick24

Hendrick24 Crusader (717) Sep 6, 2013 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Monkeynaut IPA is one of my favorite beers (I travel to Huntsville a few times a year and always make sure to have a couple). Good People is a tasty one too, and Back 40 Freckle Belly IPA (brewery is in Gadsden, AL) is real good.

5. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,253) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

The few Yellowhammer beers I have had were very good. Keith makes some good German style beers.

STKPICR0720 likes this.
  6. richj1970

richj1970 Poo-Bah (1,759) Oct 26, 2012 Alabama
    Subscriber Beer Trader

For IPA's, the Yellowhammer Hop Revival is excellent...

STKPICR0720 likes this.
  7. beerfoodlodging

beerfoodlodging Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2013 Tennessee

I just got back from a weekend in Huntsville. It is really a great beer city!

The Nook is an interesting beer bar with a great selection of draft and bottle beers. The outside patio is a nice place to sit on a warm day. Yellowhammer's Tobacco Road was a really nice surprise.

Straight to Ale's taproom is also good. If Laika is still on tap, it's a must-try. The saison is also really interesting; it's done with a sour mash. They do free tours at 2 on Saturday.

We visited Wish You Were Beer and Liquor Express. It's worth visiting both, if you can, but either is fine. I felt Liquor Express had a slightly better selection, but Wish You Were Beer was a nicer experience overall.

We also enjoyed Below the Radar. We didn't try any of their house-brewed beers, but they had a good tap selection and good food.

harperman69 likes this.
  8. harperman69

harperman69 Aspirant (234) Feb 11, 2009 Tennessee
    Beer Trader

Agreed on STA and The Nook. Love The Nooks patio.

9. SaverioD

Folks, much appreciation for the feedback and support of my search. These were great recommendations and very good feedback!

Saverio

10. SaverioD

Feedback on the recommendations. He went to Straight to Ales and had a great conversation with the staff and had a chance to try to specialty brews - he really enjoyed them.

I believe he made some additional trips this last weekend but I have not heard back from him yet. So, in the end, the only value (finding a great place for a beer) of social media was realized.

Thanks again,
    Saverio

StuartCarter likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.