Need a wee bit of help (New Haven & Hartford areas)

Discussion in 'New England' started by IGaveYouPower, Nov 6, 2019.

1. IGaveYouPower

IGaveYouPower Initiate (154) Dec 2, 2010 New York

Going to see a UConn game with some buddies in a few weeks and looking for some advice since I've only made a few CT brewery trips and don't keep tabs on the area as well as I do NY.

Anyhow: Coming from NY, plan is to stop at NEBCO and Counterweight (had their beer but never been to either) and stay at my buddies place because he's right in that general area.

The next day on the way to Storrs I was looking at Urban Lodge, 2nd Bridge and Labyrinth as possibilities since they're right on the way.

So two questions:

1) Anything I should hit instead of NEBCO/CW? Or even in addition to if we come back out at night? Would need to be right in that area.

2) Anything must-hit between New Haven and Storrs? We're only gonna have time for one stop and not have time to veer out of the way at all. If not, which is the best out of UL, 2B and Labyrinth? Would have to be open by noon at the latest too.

As always, any help is appreciated BAs!

EDIT: I've been to New Park, Five Churches and Hog River so I'd ideally like to go somewhere different.

2. smutty33

smutty33 Crusader (717) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut
    Trader

Stopped at Urban Lodge a couple weeks ago. I'm going to be nice and just say the beer was not good. Stopped at Labyrinth after, right before closing and the beer was decent/good. Only had time for one pour though.

IGaveYouPower likes this.
  3. brutalfarce

brutalfarce Disciple (363) Mar 23, 2018 Connecticut
    Society Trader

what area are you staying in? New Haven area or Storrs area?

4. halfliter

halfliter Initiate (19) Jun 26, 2019 Connecticut

I'd say it depends on what type of beer you guys are looking for. If you are into lagers, East Rock Brewing in New Haven is a must-hit. They only do lagers and wheat beers so their tap list is filled with all different kinds of well-crafted lagers (pils, helles, vienna, schwarzbier, gose) rather than just having a token lager on tap amid a sea of IPAs. They do have a couple hoppier beers as well to appease the hopheads.

sulldaddy likes this.
  5. IGaveYouPower

The former.

brutalfarce likes this.
  6. IGaveYouPower

That sounds delightful! Appreciate the tip.

7. hit728

hit728 Zealot (538) Mar 19, 2013 Connecticut
    Society

If staying in New Haven and looking for good beer, check out The Beer Collective. Very diverse tap list and usually have Fox Farm on tap.

8. brutalfarce

Society Trader

Tribus in Milford makes some good brews, Mikro in Hamden usually has pretty good taplist and pretty good food ($), also The Beer Collective and Erector in New Haven.

hit728 and IGaveYouPower like this.
  9. Mrstiffington

Mrstiffington Initiate (100) Jun 8, 2018 New Jersey
    Trader

I have been to both NEBCO and Counterweight and enjoyed both places and left both places with a nice selection of cans. I would go to both for sure.

IGaveYouPower likes this.
  10. brutalfarce

Society Trader

also Amity behind Nebco is a good stop for cans/bottles if you are looking

IGaveYouPower and Mrstiffington like this.
  11. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Poo-Bah (3,510) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Society Trader

The Beeracks in East Haven will give you access to a wide range of breweries as they are a collective. Armada does solid IPAs and big stouts. Some good lagers from Hoax.
    Counterweight is a def hit and is a real cool spot with awesome beers. Same with NeBCO.
    no need to get too creative. Those are cant miss even if outside New Haven by a bit.

Havent been to East rock, but the beers Ive had have been great.

hope you have a good visit!

12. Jmr85

Jmr85 Aspirant (260) Nov 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Trader

Alvarium in New Britain, Hooker and Hanging Hills in Hartford

13. EDNOSE

EDNOSE Aspirant (223) Oct 27, 2007 Connecticut

To directly reply to this, I would absolutely not miss those two. Best in the area and top 5 in CT.

Mrstiffington likes this.
  14. IGaveYouPower

NEBCO and Counteweight were both absolutely fantastic. Great spaces, great beers. Didn't get a chance to do anything else brewery-wise but on somebody's recommendation I did stop at Amity Wine and got some absolute blockbuster deals.

Bruery Poterie (normally like $32-33) for $10. Bruery The Order (normally $12-13) for $5. Got one of those Italian beers in the funky bottles (forget the brewery name) for $3.50.

15. pbrian

pbrian Defender (663) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

I'm just seeing this now, but I went to Urban Lodge a couple weeks ago was was really impressed. Based on the timing of your post, you were there right after they opened(?), maybe they turned it around quick? Lots of haze, so if that's not your thing stay away.

16. lbower860

lbower860 Initiate (150) Jun 28, 2011 Connecticut

Didnt get to respond to this. Glad you enjoyed NEBCO and Counterweight. I think they're both world class.

Mrstiffington likes this.
  17. brutalfarce

Society Trader

nice glad you got some good stuff always worth the stop if you are at Nebco