Need advice on setting up a Nitro system

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by Shmota, Sep 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shmota

Shmota Initiate (0) Jun 16, 2008 Indiana

I Have been running a Co2 Draft system for about 3 years. I am looking to throw a keg of Founders Breakfast Stout on for the fall and thought it was a good time to try Nitrogen. Looking on More Beer I found one option for a faucet one option "sold out" for a guage and one option for a 5 lb tank.

I would like to draw from experience and find out what the better brands of faucets and guages are for nitro. Do I need different type or different length line. What pressure should I be starting with. Anything you guys have to offer would be much appreciated. Thanks

2. joshwars

joshwars Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2012 New Jersey

I am not sure if the FBS runs on nitro or not, I do not think so - not to say you couldnt run it nitro. From my research the faucets seem to be only made by two primary manufactures, I went with the Micromatic.

For my 2 tap setup, I just purchased the following:

Recommended line regardless of nitro or co2 seems to be this Bev-Seal, I found it from Bird Man Brewing:
    Accuflex Bev-Seal Ultra Barrier Tubing
    http://www.birdmanbrewing.com/accuflex-bev-seal-ultra-barrier-tubing-3-16-id-50ft-free-shipping/

From Amazon via Beverage Factory:
    Stainless Steel Premium Guinness Stout Beer Faucet
    http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Ste.../B003714DUM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347711889

From Kegworks:

742N Premium Double Gauge Nitrogen Regulator

9100-NITROGEN Nitrogen Air Tank 10lb Aluminum

3. dfess1

dfess1 Initiate (0) May 20, 2003 Pennsylvania

check into your local welding supply place. For the amount you'll actually be using this, a 5lb bottle is all you need. My local guy (who is also a homebrewer) said the 5lb bottle for beer gas (75% nitro, 25% co2) could be put into a bottle that has the same fittings as a normal 5lb co2 bottle. i.e., no need for a special one trick pony regulator. Different bottle, sure, but I can use a normal reg, and it works as a backup for my main if something happens to that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.