Need help with places to stay im Montpielier

Discussion in 'New England' started by nc41, Sep 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nc41

nc41 Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

We usually hit VT once a year or so while combining a visit to my son stationed in Ft Drum Ny. We usually stay in Waterbury, but the hotels are 2 and a little pricy, was wondering in Montpelier would be a better option, and still hit HF and look to grab some Lawsons. No idea of the logistics here, time and distance to anywhere etc. Any hotel recommendation? Thinking of maybe a Wed/ thurs night kinda deal.

2. BriceNice

BriceNice Crusader (422) Jun 23, 2011 Connecticut
    Trader

I always stay at the Econolodge. Not the nicest place, but definitely not the worst. And it's not expensive. Bout a .7 mile walk to 3 Penny. Lawson's bottles go on sale Friday around 3 I think, at the Co-op, which is about halfway between the hotel and 3 Penny. HF is about an hour drive from there, Waterbury - 15 minutes, Burlington - 45 minutes.

Adirondack47 likes this.
  3. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Savant (1,135) Nov 2, 2007 Vermont

I send a lot of folks to Hostel Tevere in Warren. Great taproom on premises, good dinner fare, and dirt cheap for a bunkroom, or private room. Nearby to Mad Taco and all things Lawsons. Only 20miles south of Waterbury.

4. nc41

Trader

The same Mad Taco that used to be in Blackback? Warren to HF is a killer drive, my wife is understanding but that might be pushing it unless the rooms are $50.

Any day better than the other for HF say a wed vs a Thurs run? I'll be in Ny on Fri.

Thanks guys.

5. nc41

Trader

6. duchessedubourg

Fyi: The original Mad Taco is in Waitsfield. And a private room is about $50. A group of us did a tour starting at the Hostel, and worked our way back south from HF to LN to Crop to Alchemist to Waterbury and back to tbe Hostel in one day - great time!

7. nc41

Trader

$50 is half plus easily of the cheapest places I've seen, might take a look at that, worth the extra drive to save $125 on a simple room which is all we want anyway. So Warren is about 30 minutes from Waterbury, HF was about 45 minutes to an hour north of Waterbury so HF must be 1 1/2hour drive give or take from Warren? Unless somehow you can get back on the interstate i suppose.

8. duchessedubourg

Pretty much Route 100 the whole way, with many great beer stops enroute. Plus first crack at Warren Store to start off.

9. markgugs

markgugs Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2006 New Jersey

Dale, have you checked out sites like www.airbnb.com or www.vrbo.com? Usually you can find longer-stay rates somewhere between motels & nice hotels, and you get the added bonus of staying in a nicely-kept home.

ilovermont likes this.
  10. nc41

Trader

Thanks Mark , no I haven't but I will. I'm guessing I'll hit Warren on Wed and at HF opening on Thurs. I'll grab a few Hts too if I comes across some, they still can mon and Wed?

11. Flashy

Flashy Pooh-Bah (1,693) Oct 22, 2003 Vermont
    Pooh-Bah

The cabins at Little River State Park in Waterbury are awesome, but it's five milesish from downtown Waterbury. Great stop and plenty of history as the CCC built Waterbury Dam and the remnants of their camp are visible.

12. markgugs

if you want Lawson's, you need to go to the Warren Store on Thursday morning. maybe flip-flop Warren & HF, and go to HF for Wednesday opening? get there early though :-)

as for Heady, don't know when they actually can, but there have been some changes to their delivery days, the most important one was Hunger Mtn Co-Op in Montpelier changing their delivery from Friday afternoon to Thursday AM, and since they have a 1 case limit...

13. jbaker67

jbaker67 Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

We used AirBnB while we were in Portland. Really happy with the experience.

14. nc41

Trader

Sounds good any idea what time Warren gets delivery? Last time there I went at 1 and there were maybe 20 bottles of Chinookered left , if it was DS would have missed I'm sure. I'll be at HF at opening I suppose what else you going to do hopefully it's not insane.

15. markgugs

from all the advice I got before my trip (we skipped Warren Store as I didn't care about the bottles being released that week), I was told to go there for breakfast and enjoy the rest of the store before Lawson's was probably delivered at 10am or so

16. nc41

Trader

Will they post what's going to be delivered? I thought it was hope and pray , I always hit Chinookered . I'd go for DS , but I won't drive forever for much else not with access to HF stuff. Love Waterbury , but Montpiier sounds nice too, need to hit 3 Penny.

17. Flashy

Flashy Pooh-Bah (1,693) Oct 22, 2003 Vermont
    Pooh-Bah

Three Penny is the best bar in VT IMHO.

18. markgugs

check http://www.lawsonsfinest.com/news/ on Monday-Tuesday, it usually gets updated with what's being delivered on draft/bottle to Lawson's accounts that week

also, I highly recommend you go to Parker Pie post-Hill Farmstead for an amazing pizza lunch (get the Green Mtn pie), and ask for their "off menu" bottles - I crushed a LP Gueuze for only $30!!!

19. nc41

Trader

Sweet will definately hit it, I'll be at HF at opening .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.