Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Need Some Oak Chipping Advice....

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Finn, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Finn

I brewed a Old Ale 3 weeks ago (O.G. 1.067)
    I would like to add a bit of oak character, and here's what I'm working with:

My homebrew supply store guy told me to do this:

Soak 3-4 oz. of the FRENCH oak chips in just enough booze/vodka to cover them for a week.
    then, add the whole thing, liquid and all, into the secondary
    Taste periodically to assess oakiness.

My main question is:

Should I really add all the liquid into the secondary? I used a few ounces Rye whiskey and a few ounces vodka, and I have read that the liquid can extract harsh tannins you don't want in your beer.

Side note: the French oak chips smell pretty mild compared to american oak chips

Thanks!

2. kaips1

you can go that route or you can boil them for like 10 mins and then add them in and it will take care of most bacteria and tannins.

3. clearbrew

I depends on weather or not you want whiskey flavor in your beer. Personally, I recommend steaming chips for a few min. unless I am going to toast them.
    I should add that I don't oak often. So, I don't have a lot of experience with it.
    But either way, I have never read or heard anything that says you "have to" add the liquid after soaking.

4. inchrisin

French oak tends to be a bit more mild. If you don't get the flavor you want, just give them a little longer.

Don't add the booze, it will only make your Old Ale taste, well, boozy. :)

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe