Neighborhood Restaurant Group: Grand Delancey

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by M-Fox24, Sep 3, 2019.

1. zid

zid Meyvn (1,411) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I always seem to be really lucky with getting a seat when I've been, and while there I always think, "Boy, I wouldn't be enjoying myself if I wasn't so lucky."

RauchbierFan33 likes this.
  2. Xerlic

Xerlic Initiate (161) Aug 26, 2016 New York
    Trader

So the "half" price is always 4 oz pour no matter what the "full" pour is?

RauchbierFan33 likes this.
  3. hops_for_thought

hops_for_thought Disciple (380) Jun 14, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

Yeah that was my experience last night, had a wide variety of beers all the half pours were 4oz

Not sure if it’s explicit on the menu, the waitress did refer to them as “4oz-ers” fwiw

Xerlic and RauchbierFan33 like this.
  4. RauchbierFan33

RauchbierFan33 Initiate (47) May 27, 2019 New York
    Trader

Damn if that’s the case then I want to see the guy who was blowing them on their pricing chime in.

Hmm should I get the 20oz of Ungespundent for $9? Or the 4oz for $4 with no lube?

5. zid

Society Trader

Roughly speaking, yes. @hops_for_thought - It's not explicit on the menu, which should be better. The small sized pours are always 4oz no matter what the full sized pour is.

While I would prefer a half sized pour option instead of the small sized option, their system is still welcome since it provides a lot of flexibility for the drinker.
    To be fair, in NYC, the $9 20oz Mahrs beer is a great price while the 4oz price is more normal... so in that case their prices are quite good (but it really encourages you to get the 20oz... which is something I think they might be doing by design to bring larger pours more in fashion with this crowd).

6. stairway2heavn

stairway2heavn Initiate (53) Aug 17, 2017 New Jersey

Hey, if you want to come once in a blue moon, and be a ticker, they'll get you. Stick with a few normal pours to get the best price per ounce and you'll be back shortly before the Swish/HF citra kicks. Win win.

7. Gerry129

Gerry129 Initiate (87) Jun 13, 2013 New York
    Trader

While I do love this place (have been a few times now), last night my wife pointed out that a bartender shorted a pour of a cocktail and then proceeded to just put the tap water from the bar in it to fill the glass.

fdonnelly, Xerlic and JayORear like this.
  8. hops_for_thought

Society Trader

setting aside comments about having a cocktail at a beer bar (and I realize they appear to have a full spirits selection) that’s pretty fucked

was there last night with a handful of other BAs, our six top expressed interest in the two cask ales and our waitress brought three small pours of each - that was much appreciated

9. zid

Society Trader

What did you folks think of the Dutchess beers?
    @rozzom
    BTW - They have a nice selection of spirits.

10. hops_for_thought

Society Trader

liked them both: ESB my favorite of the two, nose on the pale ale was nice

algebeeric_topology likes this.
  11. Gerry129

Gerry129 Initiate (87) Jun 13, 2013 New York
    Trader

My wife doesn't drink much beer...so cocktails are typically appreciated for her. Overall the staff have been great when I have been, so I'm hoping it was a one time slip up for some reason or a bad judgement call.

hops_for_thought likes this.
  12. shkin

shkin Disciple (392) Feb 6, 2011 New York
    Society

I went to buy a 4-pack of The Product by Short Throw which is listed as one of the to-go options and was unpleasantly surprised that that beer and other three or four ones were sold out despite the fact that they update the list on a regular basis. There were only about five people at the bar at 6:30 which seems low even for a Monday night. I was also told that Aslin bought all of the beers back after the can release to keep the demand high. Not sure what to think about all this.

algebeeric_topology and Xerlic like this.
  13. Xerlic

Xerlic Initiate (161) Aug 26, 2016 New York
    Trader

That's fucking hilarious.

14. shkin

shkin Disciple (392) Feb 6, 2011 New York
    Society

Yeah, I was wondering how come the cans which were sold during the release were not sold after it. That explains it.

Xerlic likes this.
  15. DrederickTatum

DrederickTatum Initiate (199) Dec 13, 2016 New Jersey
    Trader

Was there Saturday and the service was ridiculously slow. 90 minutes in and we only were on our second drink due to them being severely understaffed on a busy Saturday night. We eventually spoke to a manager (really nice guy) who was very apologetic and we got much faster service after that, but I was very surprised by the experience seeing the amazing reviews this place has been getting. Maybe it was an off night and they eventually resolved the problem so I’ll definitely give them another go, but I’ll probably try earlier in the day to avoid the crowd.

16. fdonnelly

fdonnelly Aspirant (221) Dec 14, 2016 New Jersey
    Trader

I've only been twice, most recently on Fri PM with the BAer's but I haven't really seen this happen either time. First time we had a table in the back and the waiter was there pretty frequently to take our orders. This last time it was busier and I was going right to the bar, every time I went up there the bartender made eye contact and came over ASAP to ask what I wanted. Hopefully it was just an off night because I hate to hear places where you get stuck getting a beer and it taking an hour to get another.

17. NewmansOwn

NewmansOwn Disciple (349) Jun 25, 2016 New York

Join the Grand Delancey on Sunday, February 23rd, as we feature an outstanding list of delicious beers from some of our very favorite New York and New England craft brewers! NYC Beer Week is the perfect time to celebrate the phenomenal offerings from Equilibrium, Mortalis and Other Half along with Mast Landing, Trillium, and Vitamin Sea.

There is no admission fee for this event. All featured beers will be priced individually by the glass and in 4 oz. tasting pours. The beer list is subject to change without notice.

THE OFFICIAL NEW ENGLAND MEETS NEW YORK DRAFT LIST:

Equilibrium DHop6 (Double Hazy IPA)
    Equilibrium Governing Forces (Double Hazy IPA w/ Citra & Amarillo)
    Equilibrium Super Fractal Phoenix Set (Triple Hazy IPA w/ Citra, Sabro, Strata & Galaxy)

Mast Landing All The Way Up (Fruited Sour Ale w/ Mango, Raspberries & Milk Sugars)
    Mast Landing Pantless Thundergoose (Double Hazy IPA w/ El Dorado, Topaz & Mosaic)
    Mast Landing Ploye Division (Porter w/ Maple Syrup, Buckwheat & Milk Sugar; Nova Res Collab.)
    Mast Landing Weekend Plans (IPA w/ Amarillo, Citra, Simcoe & Cascade)

Mortalis Hydra Boysenberry + Strawberry + Blueberry (Fruited Sour Ale w/ Boysenberries, Strawberries & Blueberries)
    Mortalis Medusa Banana Nut Muffin (Fruited Sour Ale w/ Bananas, Walnuts & Banana Muffins)
    Mortalis Tears of the Goddess Lemon + Blackberry + Ceylon Tea + Ginger (Sour IPA w/ Milk Sugar, Lemons, Blackberries, Ceylon Tea & Ginger)
    Mortalis Venus Cinnabon (Milk Stout w/ Cinnamon Rolls & Cream Cheese Frosting)

Other Half TBD
    Other Half TBD
    Other Half TBD
    Other Half TBD

Trillium Chocolate Raspberry Gateau (Imperial Stout w/ Milk Sugar, Raspberries & Chocolate)
    Trillium DDH Congress Street (Hazy IPA w/ Galaxy)
    Trillium Tongan Vanilla Crown & Crate (Double Hazy IPA w/ Wildflower Honey, Milk Sugar & Vanilla)
    Trillium Vicinity (Double Hazy IPA)

Vitamin Sea 33 (Hazy Triple IPA w/ Citra, Motueka & Sabro; Collaboration w/ Mast Landing)
    Vitamin Sea Due North (Hazy IPA w/ Galaxy & Mosaic)
    Vitamin Sea Kettle Charge (Hazy IPA w/ Galaxy & Rakau)
    Vitamin Sea Vitamin M (Sea)² (Hazy Double IPA with Mosaic & Kohatu; Collaboration with Equilibrium)
    Vitamin Sea When a Friend Calls (Imperial Sweet Stout w/ Stroopwafels, Marshmallows & Vanilla Beans; Collaboration w/ J. Wakefield)

18. fdonnelly

Trader

Saw the GD post last night, I am thinking of stopping at this if I am around and it doesnt seem to be insane there

19. SpinSamzo

SpinSamzo Aspirant (279) Mar 11, 2017 New York
    Trader

20. NewmansOwn

NewmansOwn Disciple (349) Jun 25, 2016 New York

For those not on mobile:
    LAMBIC: ABOUT TIME & PASSION DOCUMENTARY SCREENING AT THE GRAND DELANCEY + RARE LAMBIC DRAFTS & BOTTLE POURS!

Wednesday, February 26th at 5 O’Clock

Join us at the Grand Delancey on Wednesday, February 26th for New York City Beer Week as we co-host a very special screening of the film, Lambic: About Time & Passion with Beer Session Radio and The NYC Good Beer Seal! Along with the documentary we will be pouring 12 rare lambics on draft and in bottle pours, each sourced from producers featured in the film.

Rarely seen outside of Europe, Lambic: About Time & Passion is a captivating documentary about the world's oldest continuously produced beer. We will start the screening at 7:00 PM, but come in as early as 5:00 PM when we will begin serving our amazing selection of lambics! Highlights include Cantillon Fou’Foune and Cantillon Kriek on draft as well as Drie Fonteinen Intense Red and Tilquin Oude Quetsche Tilquin à l'Ancienne available in bottle pours.

Check out the trailer for this outstanding documentary here - https://lambicfilm.com/.

There is no admission fee for this event and the documentary screening is free. All event beers will be priced individually by the glass and in 4 oz. tasting pours. The beer list is subject to change without notice. The documentary runs for 66 minutes.

THE OFFICIAL LAMBIC: ABOUT TIME & PASSION SCREENING BEER LIST:
    - Boon Geuze Boon Selection (Gueuze Lambic; Draft)
    - Cantillon Fou'Foune (Lambic w/ Apricots; Draft)
    - Cantillon Kriek (Kriek Lambic; Draft)
    - Cantillon Mamouche (Lambic w/ Elder Flowers; BTL Pour)
    - Cantillon Cuvee St-Gilloise (Lambic w/ Hallertau Mittelfrüh; BTL Pour)
    - Drie Fonteinen Armand & Gaston (Gueuze Lambic; BTL Pour)
    - Drie Fonteinen Intense Red (Kriek Lambic; BTL Pour)
    - Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze (Gueuze Lambic; BTL Pour)
    - Drie Fonteinen Oude Kriek (Kriek Lambic; BTL Pour)
    - Oud Beersel Framboise (Framboise Lambic; Draft)
    - Tilquin Oude Gueuze Tilquin à L'Ancienne (Gueuze Lambic; BTL Pour)
    - Tilquin Oude Quetsche Tilquin à l'Ancienne (Lambic w/ Plums; BTL Pour)

21. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Zealot (567) Aug 18, 2012 New York

I’m definitely going to that. Fou’Foune is one of my favorite beers. Wonder what vintage it will be?

22. SpinSamzo

SpinSamzo Aspirant (279) Mar 11, 2017 New York
    Trader

Next BA meet up Feb 26th

23. fdonnelly

Trader

5pm! ugh why cant they start later!