NEIPA "Juice Bombs" in the PNW

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by JustinW12, Apr 16, 2017.

1. JustinW12

JustinW12 Initiate (0) May 19, 2015 Oregon

Recently I discovered the style of IPA that has seemed to become something of a phenomenon among the community. The NEIPA style, from what I can gather, seems to be a style that I would appreciate greatly - it's flavorful, juicy, hazy, unfiltered, with a nice hope character on the back-end. These are the characteristics that I have come across on the forums, and they have me craving one of these beers.

The only issue is that most of these styles are coming from states like Vermont, Virginia, Massachusetts, and so on. Being in the PNW, most breweries from these states do not stock their beer over in my neck-of-the-woods. I know of Mosaic Crush out of California, but that's about it.

If anybody knows of any beers that fall under this "Juice Bomb" style that are available in the PNW, I would greatly appreciate the names of the beers as well as the stores or bottle shops that they can be found in.

Justin

2. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (4,729) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Beer Trader

Seems like we've had a couple threads like this, but I couldn't find them on a quick phone search. Basically, get thee to Grape Lotion

GrapeLotion, cherche and NWer like this.
  3. honkduh

honkduh Aspirant (262) Jun 2, 2011 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Fremont - Belmont Station 20
    Ex-Novo - ISO: NEIPA
    Claim 52: Juice Station Flash
    great notion - pretty much all their IPAs

beertunes likes this.
  4. sharpski

sharpski Champion (843) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Are you in the Portland area or elsewhere in Oregon? Because many of these beers are not distributed far, narrowing down your location may help us suggest stuff you're most likely to see.

beertunes likes this.
  5. JustinW12

I don't live in Portland necessarily, but I do drive downtown a lot.

6. JustinW12

It's a 45-60 minute drive depending on the day for me.

7. sharpski

Beer Trader

Then Great Notion is probably your best option. Them and Claim 52 are the two producing this style most consistently. Other breweries are producing one-offs that you may stumble upon, but these two have NEIPAs as part of their regular lineup. Happy hunting!

beertunes likes this.
  8. South2NW

South2NW Defender (676) Nov 25, 2013 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Block 15 gets into the mix every so often. Intergalactic Hop shop. The new dab lab doomglass is hazy, too.

Ninjakillzu likes this.
  9. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (2,763) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon

I am done with this fad already.

10. beertunes

Beer Trader

Well, with the fact that Red Hook is releasing one, that's gotta be sign that the end is near. Right?

11. sharpski

Beer Trader

You've got an excellent point. Once somebody's parents try to adopt something to be be hip, that's usually the death knell of a trend for the kids.

12. vurt

vurt Crusader (744) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Supporter

Except in business, when someone realizes there's a dollar to be made selling something popular to the next waves after the early adapters.

13. frankwynn

frankwynn Initiate (138) Mar 31, 2017 Oregon

Great Notion and Modern Times just did a collaboration beer that released a couple days ago call Effective Dreams. Cans are being distributed around to the popular bottle shops all over town. Beer is so juicy and hazy, tastes like an Orange Creamsicle.

14. sharpski

Beer Trader

Agreed, it won't be the end of them overall. But it may mean the early adopters (BA forums) will stop being fascinated and move on to something else.

woemad and beertunes like this.
  15. Ribsandwhiskey

Ribsandwhiskey Initiate (121) Apr 24, 2013 Oregon
    Beer Trader

the Something Wicked from Breakside is a juice bomb. pretty delicious. Culmination has a Pink Floyd inspired hazy beer called Momentary lapse of reason. The Obscured by Clouds they offered last month was outstanding.

woemad likes this.
  16. Jinxed

Jinxed Aspirant (250) Mar 6, 2007 Washington
    Subscriber

17. westcoastbeergeek

westcoastbeergeek Aspirant (259) Sep 16, 2015 British Columbia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Not quite done, but more of a been there, cool to add a 4 pack a month into the mix and move on.

18. sharpski

Beer Trader

After noodling on it a bit, here's my theory: the popularity of this style will track like the CDA. It's holding the beer geek nation's attention for now, but will become a "Remember those?" for most while maintaining popularity in the core regional market. A regional specialty having a temporary national heyday.

I think there are enough fans who want (and will pay the premium for) a source of fresh turbidity to support Great Notion and others around the country who made a name for themselves on these beers. But outside of the NE, I think most breweries and drinkers will move on to the next thing (Santa Fe-style Cream Ales? Allegheny Smoke Beers?).

woemad and beertunes like this.
  19. ElijahSF

ElijahSF Aspirant (205) Aug 30, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I don't, I believe the style is here to stay. I wouldn't go as far as to say it's a fad either.

20. derftron

derftron Disciple (328) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

yeah. after having a bunch of them over the past year I can stay that my palette has grown weary of the chalk-juice. Ill go back for one every once in a while, but im pretty done for the most part.

21. Jinxed

Jinxed Aspirant (250) Mar 6, 2007 Washington
    Subscriber

So the thing about NE-style IPAs is that they're extremely easy to drink.....that gives them in my opinion, an advantage to staying relevant over time. They might fall out of favor with folks like us, but they're also well-liked among your average beer drinker (my wife who gets easily hopped out can't enough of these). That said, the price would probably need to come down for the average beer drinker to make a casual grocery store purchase, but I do think are avenues for longevity that don't involve the BA community.

woemad, DJturnstile and ElijahSF like this.
  22. shnsajax

shnsajax Disciple (360) Jul 2, 2013 Idaho
    Beer Trader

I don't see the style fading some until enough breweries make enough of it for it to sit on the shelves for a couple of weeks at a time. I would gladly put some in my rotation if it was available. The hype train will continue to roll until something replaces it.

23. Rip_City

Rip_City Initiate (121) Jul 16, 2016 Oregon
    Beer Trader

I think I'm pretty much over it as well. I can drink about a can of it, and then I'm done. I have enjoyed several hazy beers, including Obscured by clouds and a few by skookum. Yesterday, while watching the blazers resurrect my hopes out from the grave, I had a can of effective dreams. I found it too heavy on the lemon-citrus flavor. It really felt like a pale ale to me. Reminded me of the day when I used to mix an IPA and a Ruby at McMenamins. At the end of the day, just get me a can of Sticky Hands.

Reidrover likes this.
  24. Rip_City

Rip_City Initiate (121) Jul 16, 2016 Oregon
    Beer Trader

I don't see the style fading soon. I do see it picking up a different type of drink. Perhaps it's the gateway beer, as was Mirror Pond or Widmer Hef to some. First craft beer to blow me away was Drop Top. Prior, my go to beer was, ol' Bud Light.

25. ewendel

ewendel Initiate (146) Feb 12, 2008 Washington
    Beer Trader

That Heady Topper tho... changed my beer-drinking life, and for the first time ever, my wife decided she loved IPAs (sadly, this effectively doubled an otherwise sane beer-budget). Granted, HT is no juice-bomb, but still – I've met plenty of people over the past few years that previously wanted absolutely nothing to do w/ IPAs, and now they love 'em, though specifically those IPAs of the juicy/hazy NE-style. So, long story short, what's the big deal w/ having more styles? Hell, I'm not even convinced it's the beer nerds like us that will ultimately be the primary market for these turbid crushers.

ElijahSF likes this.
  26. John_M

John_M Moderator (5,590) Oct 25, 2003 France
    Beer Trader

From a purely personal perspective, I have to say that I could really care less either way (whether the style sticks around or goes out of fashion). Still, there are definitely some good examples of the style, and I never think it a bad thing to have additional options to choose from (when deciding what beer to drink). So in that respect, I certainly won't be unhappy if the style doesn't ever go completely out of vogue.

My guess is that in all likelihood the style is probably here to stay, and that there will likely always be some versions of the style on the marketplace.

That being said, having just spent a couple weeks in the NE, it was pretty apparent that quality is all over the map back there. Every brewery seemed to be making at least several "hazy style" pale ales and IPA's, and some of them were pretty mediocre (IMHO). I went to a Bissell Brother release one of the days we stayed in Portland Maine, and was in town the day of their DIPA (Swish) release (which I purposely avoided). I thought everything I tried at the brewery was pretty good, but I'd hardly call what I sampled any sort of epiphany. Yet folks routinely line-up for their releases (which occur a minimum of twice a week), and as others have noted on this thread, it's not as if they're exactly giving it away (the house IPA is $16 a 4 pack, but after that, $19 a 4 pack is the norm I think for their IPA's and DIPA's). That probably says more about the mindset of consumers back there, and their expectations, but I was really struck by how few truly outstanding IPA's and DIPA's I tried there. Of course that's just my opinion. (at least to my palate, the standouts were Sip of Sunshine, Heady Topper, Focal Banger and Trillium's "the street," with the substance from Bissell Brothers a close second place). So many of them seemed to taste so similar to one another as well... for the life of me I can't figure out why some are extremely popular, while others are not.

One thing I will say (which should bring a smile to our resident "fanboy" from the Bay Area), I was amazed by the number of people I ran into who, if they knew anything about any brewery from the NW or Portland, it was Great Notion. A number of folks I talked to had tried their beer at GABF or some other national event, and thought they were absolutely the "bees knees" (and wanted to know if there was anyway I could obtain a crowler of any of their beers). Maybe being limited, far away and hard to obtain improves the flavor of a NE style IPA. :-)

Robomunky, stevesbeer, NWer and 6 others like this.
  27. beertunes

Beer Trader

Taste the rarz brah, taste the rarz.

zestd, NWer, sharpski and 1 other person like this.
  28. ElijahSF

ElijahSF Aspirant (205) Aug 30, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

"One thing I will say (which should bring a smile to our resident "fanboy" from the Bay Area), I was amazed by the number of people I ran into who, if they knew anything about any brewery from the NW or Portland, it was Great Notion. A number of folks I talked to had tried their beer at GABF or some other national event, and thought they were absolutely the "bees knees" (and wanted to know if there was anyway I could obtain a crowler of any of their beers). Maybe being limited, far away and hard to obtain improves the flavor of a NE style IPA."

Yeah, as I've said, GN brews great beers. On par with the beers from the breweries you visited. Theer is no such thing as too much when it comes to great beer. They, like myself, want it all.

VABA likes this.
  29. silkenwilkster

silkenwilkster Initiate (117) Jul 1, 2016 Washington
    Beer Trader

Should've gone over to Foundation :wink:

Jinxed likes this.
  30. chikunwing

chikunwing Initiate (177) Jul 18, 2013 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Well, if you aren't busy on Thursday, there is a taphouse south of Portland that will have 9 "hazy Juice bombs" on tap, all from NW breweries (ok one is actually from CA but its' a collaboration with a NW brewery). They are located in in Oregon's first city. Something about a bridge... I'm no good with names.

sharpski and beertunes like this.
  31. John_M

Beer Trader

Gene/Todd. When will the list go up? Anyway to find out in advance what will be poured?

Inquiring minds want to know!!!

32. derftron

its on their webpage under "events". couple B15 beers, couple claim 52, GN/MTimes collabo

looks solid

33. John_M

Beer Trader

Thanks. It's a busy day at work today, but even so, I should have checked their website first before asking the owners for an update.

Thanks for letting me know.

beertunes likes this.
  34. dphi

dphi Initiate (157) Apr 14, 2013 Oregon

Haven't been to Arch Bridge yet and I'm off tomorrow, so this seems like a good excuse. Thanks for the heads up!

beertunes likes this.
  35. dphi

dphi Initiate (157) Apr 14, 2013 Oregon

Went to Arch Bridge this afternoon, had some good hazy IPAs (liked Culmination's Momentary Lapse of Reason the most) - very nice spot.

beertunes likes this.
  36. South2NW

South2NW Defender (676) Nov 25, 2013 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Dab lab: doomglass is hazy and delicious.

37. John_M

Beer Trader

My favorite too (by far).

The event at AB was great and very well attended. A lot of folks were there to pick up 4 packs of Doomglass and some of the various crowlers available (guy next to me had grabbed a crowler of Nothing but Net and something from Claim 52).

I tried all 8 of the "hazy" IPA's and DIPA's at this event, and it's apparent to me that this just isn't a style that I'm a huge fan of. Nothing was terrible, but "mehhh" pretty much sums up my reaction to most of what I tried last night. Outside of the Culmination IPA, I'm pretty sure there wasn't one beer I sampled last night that I would ever order again. The Nothing but Net was particularly underwhelming I thought, and I was unable to finish more than half of the small sample size glass I ordered.

Of course that's just my opinion, and YMMV.

vurt and beertunes like this.
  38. derftron

yep. im about done myself. the Doomglass was good, but man I had a Lagunitas Waldo special right afterwards and I liked it WAY more.

vurt likes this.
  39. beertunes

Beer Trader

Yeah, that's where I am with the style as well. With a couple of exceptions, I find them to have little substance. When you have the glass in your hand, and can't figure out if you're about to take a drink, or are putting it down after tasting it, that's not a positive. Thin bodied and ugly are not good attributes in a beer.

40. vurt

vurt Crusader (744) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Supporter

I had the Doomglass at Orenco Taphouse a couple nights ago, and thought it was a step down from Juice Joint, the previous Dab Lab offering. Good, yes, but I'm in no hurry to order it again.

On the other Hand: Last night I had a can of the newest batch of Sticky Hands (canned on 4/17). It was stunning.

beertunes and mudbug like this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.