New Beer Sunday (week 511)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by utopiajane, Dec 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

[​IMG]
    Good morning to all you kindly kingpins of kvass and loquacious laureates of landbier. Welcome to New Beer Sunday. Today is the day and this is the place to TRY a new beer and TELL us about it. What sets us apart from WBAYDN is that we take a moment to chat, to share our thoughts about the beer, and to tell a little about our day or our week. Please feel free to embellish your post with pictures,with music with prose extolling the virtues or with vituperative criticisms of the new beer you had for the first time today.

This week has brought some cold temperatures but no real wintry or snowy weather here to Ithaca. I guess I can't complain. I am getting ready for the holidays and I bake a lot of cookies for Xmas. It's almost insane how many I make but they look so pretty on the tray. I started with chocolate crinkles. We will eat some now and the rest go in the freezer to await the big presentation. If you ask me those crinkles need a good healthy helping of whiskey to flavor them a bit but who wants to appear the lush?

Our very own @Roguer sent me some beer mail the other day.Thanks so much Roger. =) I could not help but be excited. He sent me some very fresh lunch and some Captains Daughter DIPA. Thank you so much Rog! I loved Captains Daughter and it was a very memorable beer for me from the beervana festival. That's really saying something when you are literally going from booth to booth tasting all kinds of beer; including plenty of world renowned beers. Grey Sail is not to be found in my local shop .. .yet. But I have high hopes. See you later with my review and may your glasses be always full today! Cheers and here's to Rog!

mrcraft, LeRose, GRPunk and 35 others like this.
  2. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,525) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

I fixed your post. :stuck_out_tongue:

3. utopiajane

Bill! I must be drunk already what did you change?

Bitterbill likes this.
  4. Bitterbill

Society Trader

look at the last 2 words in your post after my fix.:wink:

Roxie_B, kemoarps and utopiajane like this.
  5. BeerDrinkersWorldTour

BeerDrinkersWorldTour Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2014 Northern Ireland

Happy New beer Sunday everyone...

Today I'm getting tore into this..
    [​IMG]

So as I'm sure most know by now my wife gave birth to our son on the 24 of November making us first time parents. :slight_smile::slight_smile:

Now my wife is originally from The Netherlands and has moved to Northern Ireland so when the happy news broke in Leewarden loads of baby gifts arrived. (The Royal mail made a lot of money this last 2 weeks)

Among the mail was a little package of Dutch sweet foods for my wife, among the package was a nice bottle of beer for me as my beer nerd status is now well established among our friends...
    Very thoughtful you will agree so I had to review it for NBS

3.86/5 rDev +4.3%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance - Strong golden amber colour with decent C)2 activity in the glass. Raises a rocky head that eventually dies to a lace cover and leaves remnants of sticky clumping lace.

Smell - caramel and Toffee aromas rise from the glass, when agitated there is also a faint whiff of prune and raisin and a nip of boozy solvent.

Taste - Prune with raisin and caramel kick in first. The caramel is closer to a burnt toffee as you work your way down the glass. There is quite a boozy element to the backbone of this beer that rides through the whole experience. there is also some light hop bitter nip in the back end of the taste but this beer largely works on its malt profile.

MF - full bodied with a deep linger but unfortunately a finish that leans towards the cloying end of the scale.

Overll - A pretty decent beer this one has strong boozy flavour that does detract from the other elements slightly and a cloying finish. Having said that there is a good malt profile and if given this beer again I would not turn it down!

Proost and Guid Forder!!:grinning::grinning::grinning:

sharpski, LeRose, GRPunk and 31 others like this.
  6. Bitterbill

Society Trader

That date sound familiar.:grinning:

7. Act25

Act25 Poo-Bah (3,017) Nov 8, 2010 New Jersey
    Society

My New Beer today is also my favorite beer of 2014. Epitome - Carton Brewing Company

Enjoyed last night a slow glass of Carton Epitome, which is now in the top spot among these 8 American Black Ales...
    Will enjoy another after a windy hike on Sandy Hook today.

December's new beers appear to be about 80% Black...

Epitome - Carton Brewing Company
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5 10.5% ABV

I was glad to see top reviewers on this beer. At the brewer, everyone was rejoicing in this deep dark iconoclastic beer.

A: What sets appearance apart are the density of the head, its long duration and its sticky lace. Color density the black with ruby highlights help out too.

S: Plentiful nose. Mountain, high altitude wet pine, with roast chocolate, hay, olive garden notes.

T: Follows smell but BOOM! Dark chocolate and roasted malt under pin mountain, wet piney hops, with a see-saw battle between bitter and sweet with the peppery, bitter, and almost floral/perfumey hops the winner in a long finish.

Superb with food in this case with rotille on arugula, blackbeans, grass fed ground beef, tomato sauce, pesto, peppers, jack cheese.

F: Another creamy dream on top of all the richness.

Might have to return to rate this higher as it warms.

Clustered at 4+ : 2nd place top examples...

Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale
    Stone Brewing Co.
    8.70%

Libertine Black Ale
    BrewDog
    7.20%

Smuttynose Brewing Company
    Noonan Black IPA
    6.20%

Dark Penance
    Founders Brewing Company
    8.90%

High 3s: (very good):

Back In Black
    21st Amendment Brewery
    6.80%

Toxic Sludge Black IPA
    Blue Point Brewing Company
    7%

IBA
    Lakefront Brewery, Inc.
    6.50%

American Black Ale

sharpski, LeRose, GRPunk and 25 others like this.
  8. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (5,665) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

Cheers all, and good morning! I haven't broken into my New Beer Sunday yet, but I did have quite the New Beer Saturday. I figured I'd share the pic from our tasting last night, and some brief thoughts on each beer.

[​IMG]
    From left to right, then:

Barreled Souls Big Bang Barleywine. Not sure if this would be classified as an American or English Barleywine. Big, sweet, boozy, bitter beer. Really good overall.

Barreled Souls Pumpkin is the New Black. Really nice pumpkin porter flavors that are, alas, drowned out by a ton of long-lasting and potent dry spice. Really has a lot of promise, but the spice was just too much.

Barreled Souls is apparently a new(ish?) brewery in Maine, and they barrel age all of their beers. Pretty cool.

Rockmill Dubbel. Ehh, it's a Dubbel - and not a very good one. It's not bad, exactly, but it's not even among the better American Dubbels, much less ready to compete with a solid Abbey Dubbel. Flavors are just a bit of a mess, and there's a bit too much carbonation. The 8% is also not the slightest bit hidden.

Rockmill Celebration bourbon barrel aged Dubbel. This is much better, oddly enough. There's just enough of the Dubbel shining through to preserve the basic style, but the focus here is really on the bourbon - and it comes through quite well. A very nice, enjoyable sipping beer.

Bruery Sucre. The highlight of the evening. Big, big, boozy, sweet beer. It's like chewing on a spoonful of brown sugar - and washing it down with bourbon. Bourbon, oak, and vanilla up front; caramel, toffee, fruit, brown sugar in the middle; more bourbon on the back-end. Definitely a hot beer. The closest comparison I can make, flavor profile-wise, is Sam Adams Utopias. Worth the $35 I paid? For a special occasion, yes. Damn good.

Allagash Ghoulschip sour pumpkin ale. Subdued; delicate. Think of those words when drinking this beer. There's a noticeable sour profile in the nose and on the palate, and a very organic, unsweetened pumpkin flavor (pumpkin seeds stand out)...and all of those are very restrained. An exceptionally balanced and creative wild ale, with just enough sour, sweetness, and pumpkin to stand out.

Cheers, NBSers; I promise I'll be back with a new Sunday beer! :slight_smile:

LeRose, GRPunk, Act25 and 30 others like this.
  9. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (8,027) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Shoulda been 1 day sooner! :stuck_out_tongue:

10. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (2,616) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Good Sunday all, it is a blustery day here in WMass. Getting ready to get after
    the list of things to do, and super excited to get on Skype with the oldest son later.
    That said today is an Unorthodox day so in that theme. A strong dry stout, that certainly
    has some definition issues, maybe the reason for the name.
    Cheers all

Unorthodox Russian Imperial Stout
    Two Roads Brewing Company
    Russian Imperial Stout / 9.20% ABV

3.48/5 rDev: -7.7% | rAvg: 3.77
    look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from bottle into a modified tulip glass.
    A - Dark in a good way, light has not a chance to get through. Slightly active carbonation leads
    to a very thin mocha cap. The glass laced lightly through the experience.
    S - This has a challenging nose. Every element is faint, subtle. No real dominant component.
    There is hints of cocoa, toffee, burnt sugars and dried grains and raisin. Not a strong aromatic
    beer at all.
    T - The flavors interact with the nose slightly off center. There is light cocoa, more citrus, and grains than the nose lets on. Not unpleasant to be sure.
    M - Well here it can be interesting, bone dry, some sharpness to the edges, slightly monotonous feel in the center. Leaves a light coating of oils then vanishes without a kiss goodbye!
    O - Unorthodox certainly describes the beer, Dryer than most RIS, with a strong graininess, and
    citrus notes, The flavors are a little askew, looking for some direction. In some ways I am reminded of
    Grainstorm, or a big black IPA with some time on it.
    Certainly worth seeking out.

Cheers

sharpski, LeRose, GRPunk and 25 others like this.
  11. LeperJim

LeperJim Meyvn (1,051) Feb 10, 2008 Ohio
    Society

Pardon the interruption! :slight_smile:

[​IMG]

Receive the most "likes" on New Beer Sunday - Week 513 and win this!

V

[​IMG]

Receive the most "likes" on WBAYDK #791 and win this!

V

[​IMG]

Thanks kindly!
    Now back to the NBS festivities! :grinning:

LeRose, Pinioned, GRPunk and 28 others like this.
  12. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,092) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Greetings all,
    Fresh back from a long walk with my lovely wife and outrageous Walker hounds. It is very windy, even moving the beech leaves to possibly flying away early on. It's cool and dazzlingly bright, another gorgeous day here in the Northern Piedmont. My son in law and daughter are both horticulture professionals and James has recently become enamored with mushrooms. They live on the edge of The Guilford College Woods, which is an historic and amazing piece of big woods in the middle of a city! The fungi is profuse and beautiful. Things just really grow in this deeply fecund soil. I'm not encouraging foraging, but I'll be damned if I ever knew such great food was ignored completely.
    This Stone IPA is perfect. I didn't realize is was 9.4% until I looked up and saw Jesus in the bushes out my window. Just kidding.
    This beer has wonderful malt that supports a healthy dose of hopping, but this is a balanced big beer that is truly excellent. This is a great IPA. And welcome to Richmond, Stone!
    As to the music, like father like sons. My old friend Scott Manring is among the best mandolinists on earth.

[​IMG]

13. utopiajane

Good luck to all who participate in The Day of The Dark! And thanks @LeperJim for sponsoring fun and festive days for all who wish to revel in WBAYDN and in NBS!

LeRose, aoampm, larryi86 and 8 others like this.
  14. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

[​IMG]
    I had several options for New Beer Sunday, but I decided to go with a beer I've never had from my very favorite brewery, Breckenridge. So let me dive into this beer then get back to decorating the Christmas tree.

Fresh Hop Pale Ale from Breck's Mountain Series is a beautiful copper colored brew with a cream colored head. Decent retention and sheets of lacing in the Breckenridge balloon glass. The aroma is fresh chinook hops with notes of cedar and pine. The taste follows the aromatic pattern but also adding some citrus in the finish.

For a pale ale I'm not finding much of a balance with malts, but it's not a bitter bomb either. The citrus in the finish makes this a very easy beer to drink. Too bad I only have 3 bottle from the mixed 12 pack. I like this offering a lot, but that goes without saying :slight_smile:

sharpski, LeRose, GRPunk and 30 others like this.
  15. utopiajane

I love your nutcracker! I have a few form a shop in Va Beach that brought them over from Germany and I will post my favorite in threads here during htis holiday season. :grinning:

JuicesFlowing likes this.
  16. BeerDrinkersWorldTour

Is that your birthday by any chance?

And would that be yours? :slight_smile::slight_smile:

17. Bitterbill

Society Trader

18. JMS1512

JMS1512 Initiate (0) Feb 18, 2013 New Jersey

Greetings on this second Sunday of Advent, envoys of ESB and wardens of winter warmers. Once again I delightfully join yule all, your cicerone-in-studying, John. It’s a brisk and cloudless 39 degrees here in the NW of NJ, though it feels more like freezing. The wind blows and cuts through your layers with a knife-like vengeance. Fortunately, I bet most of us are imbibing boozy remedies to the winter’s onslaught, me included.

Today’s docket:

Clown Shoes Royal Standard

750 ml Poured forcefully into a Duvel Tulip

Sight: A nice amber-brown, I’d say somewhere in the neighborhood of 18 SRM. After the beige head dies down, I get a small cap plus a moderately sized island of foam. Lacing left on the glass already is a ladder run horizontally around my tulip.

Smell: Lots of similarities to Ride the Lion, considering it’s nearly the same exact beer. Malt, caramel, a bit of booze, and dare I say it- just a bit of flowers.

Taste: Again, it hits all the notes of a Wee Heavy. However, unlike RTL, Royal Standard has what I find to be a welcome addition, and conjured images of the rolling highlands of Wallacian proportions- heather. It’s not the easiest to pick out, but I taste it on the end. The addition of this ingredient makes this feel like I poured a few ounces of Drambuie into my Wee. A welcome addition, since I truly love the Scottish herbal concoction by itself, or with a mid-level Scottish blend to make the uber old-man drink of a Rusty Nail.

Mouthfeel: A little oily and coating on the tongue, coupled with delicate carbonation, verging on flat. I’ll call it medium minus. It’s what I expect from Scotch ale.

Overall: I truly enjoyed (actually still in the process of enjoying) this one, and like the tweak they made to their already drinkable Wee Heavy.

As for music… I have a few ways to go with this one. But today? Let’s do a “tweak” on an old favorite. Jimi doing Dylan, better than Dylan could ever do.

sharpski, LeRose, GRPunk and 31 others like this.
  19. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

i'm a huge fan of nutcrackers. I have a few others i'll try to sneak in in the upcoming weeks.

Roxie_B, Shroud0fdoom and Bitterbill like this.
  20. utopiajane

Le sigh . . . Gosh I love this beer. I really think it is extraordinary. Tasty,sensual,deceptive in it's lightness and in it's alcohol presence. You won't notice the alcohol until you have finished you glass a bit too fast and go to stand up to get another. It embodies it's name as it is vivacious and lively, perhaps a bit prickly and pockmarked in it's appearance but it has a grace and a friendliness in the drink that is pure pleasure.

New American DIPA Sunday
    4.41/5 rDev +1.6%
    look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I gave this a 4.5 from my small tasting of it at beervana and that score has held up.

Pours cloudy with lots of sediment.It has rather large floaties if you pour the whole beer and not so much if you leave the last 2 oz behind. White head of creamy foam that lasts well enough and leaves lovely lace to look at. Deep banana yellow. If you pour only a little it has a soft glow. if you pour the whole beer that is muted.

Nose is bright with fruit. Sweet pineapple, citrusy with bright lemon peel that is a bit sweet. Grapefruit that is tart and earthy. Dry pine needles. The malt in this is a soft honey on the nose that has no sugar on it. Just a deep honey scent. A bit of caramel peeks out from under that shyly. Some herbal dankness and spice to round it out and really tickles the nose.

Taste is sublime. A bold fruitiness with plenty of tartness that seems not to outweigh the sweeter aspect of the fruits. Tangy pineapple, bright tangerine and sweet lemon. That herbal dankness comes through on the palate to enliven and accent the tart aspects of the grapefruit. The malt in this is a sensual surprise. It's a soft and luscious caramel that seems almost weightless on the palate and does not interrupt the flow of the drink. it drinks as easily as fruit punch with no alcohol on the palate. The mouthfeel is extraordinary. That malt is stronger than you think . The mouthfeel appears light at first then it teases with a sweet bit of weight form the caramel. It's sexy. There I said it. bright bold fruity and tart. Easy to drink and a pleasure overall. The herbal dank brings you the dry pine needle towards the finish. At the very end a bitterness leaps onto the palate. It lingers a bit with the herbs and spice with the remnants of that honey and with a delectable and sticky sweetness. Vivacious.

I loved this at beervana and I love it now. Thanks @Roguer for sending me some of this. I never thought I would see it again. One of the best and most memorable beers of 2014.

[​IMG]

sharpski, LeRose, Pinioned and 32 others like this.
  21. rorjets

rorjets Meyvn (1,225) Nov 20, 2012 Connecticut

I have sooo many new beers to try, thanks to my son in Austin, TX who sent me a box with 15 different beers! On his recommendation I am having a recently brewed Hops & Grain Zoe, a pale lager. Hops & Grain is one of his favorite small breweries in Austin. Zoe is 5.2% abv, and has a deeply golden color, on the edge of amber. The head is light and small, disappears quickly with a bit of lacing. The aroma was of orange blossoms, fresh and tangy. My first sip also struck a citrusy, slightly sweet but hoppy taste, with a mildly bitter finish that doesn't linger very long - clean and refreshing! Overall - deeelicious!

[​IMG]

-N8, sharpski, LeRose and 28 others like this.
  22. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

Just finished my review of Oude Quetsche Tilquin A l'ancienne in time with the College Football Playoffs ranking reveal. I'm pretty happy with the final rankings (I have no dog in the fight); I really think these are the best 4 teams. That is 100% all that matters; the rest is just pissy people making small talk.

Anyway, on to the beer!

[​IMG]

Great Gueuze aroma on this beer; no hint of fruit. The flavor comes in remarkably discrete layers: sharp and funky up front; lots of yeast and malt in the middle (still plenty of funk), with a not-sweet bit of fruit peel coming in; and finally a bare kiss of tart and sweet plums on the finish.

Lively and puckering mouthfeel. I think this would make a very solid Gueuze overall without the plum influence; with, it becomes a rather unique and interesting beer.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/user/beers/?ba=Roguer
    4.21 / -4.1% / Review #744 (so close; maybe I can time #750 to coincide with NBS #512)

Cheers, NBSers!

sharpski, LeRose, GRPunk and 26 others like this.
  23. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

I'm glad you noticed the mouthfeel on that one. In my opinion, mouthfeel is one of the things that really sets apart the best DIPAs of Vermont (Heady, HF) from, say, Gandhi-Bot. Captain's Daughter has maybe the best feel I've had on a DIPA outside of that great brewing state. It's remarkable how creamy and easy it is to drink.

Glad you liked it!

24. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (5,080) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Picked up a four-pack of this yesterday...

Had a couple last night...
    [​IMG]
    Really liked it - I tend to like the paler IPAs, but this was an amber IPA that really rung true for me.

Cold (mid-30's?) and windy today - drying out a cold and rainy yesterday...
    [​IMG]
    Love the tallboy can - gettin' to cap off the initial pour is money...

Reviewed...
    [​IMG]
    Deviant Dale's IPA

Lookin' forward to some football...
    I'm actually "in contention" in the pool at work, thusly (?) increasing my tension regarding the games in general...
    *beer* :wink:

Keepin' the neck limber...

Cheers, NBS... :sunglasses:

#24 Greywulfken, Dec 7, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
    sharpski, LeRose, GRPunk and 34 others like this.
  25. BeerDrinkersWorldTour

Back for one more new beer this fine Sunday.
    Tonight's beer of choice is this...
    [​IMG]
    4.29/5 rDev +6.7%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - Deeply dark with a heavy 2 finger head of dirty tobacco foam head supported by light streaming CO2 comprised of tiny bubbles. the head has good retention but eventually dies off to a sticky lace cover and clings to the side of the glass.

Smell - Very heavy chocolate aroma as you would expect from the name of the beer. Some toffee like aroma and some bitter coffee hints in the back end.

Taste - Deeply chocolaty and very well balanced between sweet and bitter elements. There are some burnt characteristics in here but the beer is essentially exactly what it promises to be. Also some very sweet Rum or Porte like elements are in here... I wish I could be more specific in this respect but I am not much of a drinker when it comes to anything other than beer but this one does reminds me of rum in some ways.

MF - Mildly metallic and astringent at the start in the mouth this beer is medium bodied and has plenty of tingle with a drying finish. The beer is also pretty creamy as it goes down.

Overall - A very good beer that seems to do more or less exactly what it is setting out to do. Well balanced and a pretty decent mouth feel this beer is one I would recommend to others and will actively seek out again. Seems to pair well with sweet dishes.

So I'm pretty impressed by this one and decided to end with a baby pic of my wee man..Fast sleep on his mummy's knee
    [​IMG]
    And this tune cause it is almost like a lullaby

Proost and Guid Forder!!

sharpski, LeRose, Pinioned and 30 others like this.
  26. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,881) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

Scaldis Noel 2013, complex and boozy, will sip on this for a while

GRPunk, Roxie_B, sfsean28 and 6 others like this.
  27. utopiajane

Cheers to the new guy! :grinning:

28. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

Afternoon BA's and NBS-ers..
    Its finally a nice day here in the Deep South, sunny, slight breeze and if you can believe it, low to mid 70's out today. Beautiful fall, err, winter day. Out trying to get caught up on my yard work with the leaves in the yard while the kiddos take a nap.

I'm not one to always chime in here, as I have my rotation on regulars, but on the generosity of BA's, infact, even one dropping off beer on my doorstep in the middle of the night- I have this new gem to try.

Pizza Boy's Sunny Side Up

It's a great coffee stout! Pours a nice black body, viscious looking, with a tan head that actually last as you drink it.

Tons, and tons of smooth, subtle roasty coffee notes, with some great chocolate as well. There's a sweet-ish cream finish that keeps the beer from being harsh. I'd venture to say, this is better than FBS, and even Terrapin WnB. More balanced, more like a mocha coffee.

A fine, fine beer to start the day this afternoon, on this beautiful day.

[​IMG]

29. BeerDrinkersWorldTour

Cheers @utopiajane.. hope you are having a happy NBS and enjoying that fine sounding brew!! :slight_smile::slight_smile:

utopiajane likes this.
  30. -N8

-N8 Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2014 Germany

New to me beers I picked up at the Getrankemarkt yesterday:

I'm on a German Stout/Porter kick (while not German, the U-Boat fit in nicely with the theme)

[​IMG]

Popped this one this eve:

[​IMG]

sharpski, LeRose, Roxie_B and 17 others like this.
  31. SerialTicker

SerialTicker Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2012 Michigan

My WiFi isn't working for whatever reason, so I'm sharing this from my phone... I had Tart Side of the Moon by Brewery Vivant. Well, I'm still sipping it.

$4.79 pint can poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint.

Appearance: Semi-hard pour into the middle of the glass didn't do much. This is just a pitch black beer with some brown/red around the edges. Not much to get excited about. I will say that I really like the label, and the name of the beer is pretty cool as well. (3.5/5)

Smell: Deep, deep roasted malt aroma on this beer straight out of the fridge. Under that is a sour funk aroma that I was looking to dominate the smell. There's also some red grape in there that gives a bit of a red wine vibe. As it warms a bit, some dark chocolate starts to shine through which works really well with the dark fruit/red grape smell. (4.25/5)

Taste/feel: My first impression is that this is that this is what I thought Tart of Darkness by The Bruery would taste like. This has a significant roasted/almost charred malt flavor first and foremost, followed by sour grape accents that I also got in the smell. Near the end it has a wine barrel sort of taste with a little tartness too. The body of this beer is about medium, and there's a moderately high carbonation to bring out some even more flavor. The ABV of this is 9.8%, and it's hidden insanely well. There's absolutely no alcohol on the nose or in the taste, and there isn't any warmth either. There's that inkling that it's at least 7%, but 10%? Phew. (4/5, 4.25/5)

While I wanted some actual roast notes in Tart of Darkness, I want some more tartness out of Tart Side of the Moon. It has more tartness than Tart of Darkness does roast (marginally), but a little more would be perfect. The price may seem high to some, but it's a 16oz can, and it's a pretty unique sour stout combination. The can recommends a charred steak with bleu cheese among other things as pairables, and I think a charred steak with some bleu would be incredible with this brew.

(4.25/5)

CHEERS BA!

sharpski, LeRose, GRPunk and 21 others like this.
  32. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Another new beer Sunday, another Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout.
    Anderson Valley Hugh Arker Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout. Nice stuff 13.5% abv. ,a strong Bourbon aroma and flavor. I wasn't looking for a BBA Stout yesterday but saw this and took a shot. I'm glad I did. Does anyone know what an "arker" is?

33. garymuchow

garymuchow Poo-Bah (3,442) Aug 31, 2001 Minnesota
    Society

New Ancient Herb Ale Sunday

Greetings NBSer's,
    I am sampling what I thought was going to be my 99th style, but it appears it I already had this style. :slight_frown: Man finding those last two styles is a bit of a challenge. :angry:
    [​IMG]
    Nonetheless, I enjoyed this. An easy drinker with soft and interesting flavors. For those checking off styles I don't think this one is too hard to find.
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/12142/245/?ba=garymuchow
    Best to all this week. :slight_smile:

34. OldeSchool

OldeSchool Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2013 Florida

[​IMG]

Hello everyone; hope you're having a wonderful Sunday. This one followed me home from my last trip Way Out West.

3.81/5 rDev -2.8%
    look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A - Very dark brown with a smallish but persistent head. Good lacing.

S - Roasted malt, maybe some caramel, cocoa.

T - More bitter than many stouts I've tried, but not unpleasantly so. Character didn't change much as it warmed; interesting mix of coffee, cocoa and a bit of vanilla.

M - Medium body; smooth and easy to drink.

D - Not a bad stout; I prefer beers that are a bit sweeter, but this one didn't overwhelm me with bitterness. Overall, a good offering that I would partake of again given the opportunity. Would like to try Ninkasi's vanilla version of this brew someday.

35. BeerDrinkersWorldTour

I rather like this one myself and I'm glad to hear it travels pretty well... (Well based on your review)
    Enjoy the rest of yer NBS!!!

Roxie_B, garymuchow and utopiajane like this.
  36. BeerDrinkersWorldTour

I love your pictures! Wherever you are in Germany it looks wonderful...
    Prost!

Roxie_B and -N8 like this.
  37. utopiajane

What are your last two styles that you need Gary? I know you can do it. maybe some BA's can help by shooting out names of some they have had in those styles. :slight_smile:

Roxie_B and kemoarps like this.
  38. -N8

-N8 Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2014 Germany

thx :slight_smile:

Roxie_B likes this.
  39. beerloserLI

beerloserLI Savant (982) Apr 2, 2011 New York
    Trader

Happy Sunday NBS. Eastern Long Island is yielding a cold sunny day. Windy as all hell but at least it isn't raining anymore. Relaxing with some football, all day, and starting to break out some xmas decorations and so figured I would start with a new festive beer in Sleigh'r from Ninkasi.

I haven't had to many offerings from ninkasi, except from trades, but they have been popping up on the distribution map over the past year. I also haven't had to many double alt ales but here goes.

Pours out a deep amber color with gleams of red and the nose is pretty subtle with malt and some spices. Initial sip is a malt bomb explosion. Lots of festive spices on the finish. I'm getting cinnamon, nutmeg, and nice bready notes. I really like the mouth feel on this one. It has some strength that is really needed in the winter but not sticky. I'm really enjoying this one and could easily knock a bunch back on cold days especially when I need a break from hops. I would probably put it in the low 4's all around and I think the 85 beer score is fair,
    [​IMG]

sharpski, LeRose, GRPunk and 28 others like this.
  40. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (5,080) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Clues...
    Their website references "boontling"...
    Boontling (Wikipedia)
    ...so...
    Maybe this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.