New Beer Sunday (week 574)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cavedave, Feb 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cavedave

cavedave (1,030) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

I know I live in NY, but have had the pleasure of tasting this beer numerous times over the years as I am lucky to have friends in Texas. It's a crisp and subtle refreshment I really love. Gonna try a beer sent me from a friend in Texas for my next one as a matter of fact. Cheers!

2. cavedave

Society Trader

Love me a good creamed corn beer.

Premo88 likes this.
  3. DrStiffington

DrStiffington (1,194) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Society

(Jerry Seinfeld voice) What's the deal with fruity IPAs? So here's another IPA with stuff added. Green Flash Tangerine IPA. Is it me, or would these all benefit from summer releases? Spartans like King Leonidas would probably find this not Spartan enough but I thought this one was really tasty. Pours a beautiful orange. Smells mightily of tangerines. Taste is very similar. Delicious tangerine notes dominate. Not sure if it's natural but it seems like it is. One of my favorite fruit IPAs. Very nice. Flaming Lips and Led Zeppelin would approve.

[​IMG]

aoampm, gopens44, utopiajane and 33 others like this.
  4. woemad

woemad (1,648) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

Greetings, fellow NBSers, and thanks to @cavedave for getting the NBS train out of the station,

Yesterday was an outstanding day for local beer. Selkirk Abbey hosted a customer appreciation party. The official goal was to create a banner photo for facebook showing the SA parking lot full of people hoisting glasses. Mainly I showed up to drink more of their Cuvee - and I did - but wound up hanging out with friends and meeting at last the illustrious @Babbo. His blog - http://www.spokane7.com/blog/ontap/ - is required reading for anyone wanting local beer info. Jeff Whitman was in the process of giving a small group of us a highly interesting tour of his brewery set-up but this was interrupted because he had to raffle off a case of 22oz bottles of rye whiskey barrel aged St. Stephen. No, I didn't win, but he let everyone with a ticket have a bottle to take home. I followed that up with a visit to my favorite bar in north Idaho, Capone's in Coeur d'Alene, where I had a magnificent hot pastrami sandwich, an Old Rasputin on nitro, and a new RIS from Daft Badger, a newish brewery in CDA while I watched Gonzaga go down to defeat on the telly (it's quite possible the 17 years of making the NCAA tournament ended right there). It wasn't as flavorful as the OR but was still tasty. I think a visit to Daft Badger is in order next time I'm out that way.

Oh, that Cuvee I mentioned? It's a blend of barrel aged 8, 10 and Guilt, and drinks like a profoundly sensual dream. I drank a bottle and reviewed it Thursday night. Technically not a new beer as I had it when it first came on tap at SA (November?), but it will have to do until I can get a new beer consumed today:
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/28798/214902/?ba=woemad
    After enjoying a leisurely hour or so drinking that beer, I had to go out and buy another bottle of it on Friday, $17.99 be damned.

aoampm, gopens44, utopiajane and 27 others like this.
  5. larryi86

larryi86 (0) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

Good afternoon NBS, happy finally having a day to relax after an extremely long wrestling tournament yesterday, but got two guys on my team going to states! Was trying to think what I could drink to be part of Allagash's Drink Ot Now and NBS, when I remember I had a bottle of Brothers Fût Note with Black Currants that I got this summer from @gillagorilla and keep meaning to try but kept forgetting to open it, so now is the time!
    3.74/5 rDev +3%
    look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Thank you gillagorilla for this
    750 ml bottle poured into a teku

A- Clear reddish orange with a small white head.

S- Sour, some black currants, some vinager, hints of grains.

T- Mild fruits, hints of vinager, grains, slightly sour, some oak and leather, flavored are kind of mild.

M- Smooth, lighter body.

O- Not a bad sour, but didn't really wow me. Could be fruitier and more flavorful, but no really flaws.

★415 characters
    [​IMG]

aoampm, LeperJim, gopens44 and 34 others like this.
  6. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 (1,324) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Society Trader

It is delicious. If they can send you the Buried Hatchet Stout, do so.

Ozzylizard, Premo88 and cavedave like this.
  7. cavedave

Society Trader

Buried Hatchet was enjoyed at our group's first stout tasting 5 years ago. And a few times since. Seems more like an American Stout compared to some of the thicker Imperials around now, but such a great one, and in a can to boot.

I have been a fan of Texas beer for a long time.

8. WesMantooth

WesMantooth (985) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

New Peanut Butter Jelly Time Sunday
    I know we are not supposed to post videos here anymore, but I wanted to share the end of my son's swimming season. Our school competed pretty well at our District tournament at Ohio State Friday. Fell just one spot short of medals in several events, and mine posted his best times yet. Pretty exciting to be within sniffing distance of the state semi finals your sophmore year. Here is his 1:07 breaststroke time. He came in 4th in his heat, and 13th overall. He is in the 3rd lane in with the silver cap and flamboyant suit. Excuse my mother in laws video recording skills.

Anyway, had to work all morning, so just now getting a chance to try out some new beers from @beergorrilla
    This one caught my attention first.

3.66/5 rDev -1.6%
    look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This beer poured a very brownish-red gold color. Murky looking. It had a moderate lacy white cap, but it disappeared fast.

Smells awesome. Exactly like a peanut butter and grape jelly sandwich. The peanut butter is the dominant aroma. Really smells like bread crust or at least peanut shells. Pretty excited to try it now.

aaannnd, it's gone. Where the hell did the peanut butter go!!?? All raspberry right off the bat. Extremely overpowering. Very sweet. That is followed by some tartness and the yeast. You get more and more of that wheat profile as it warms and especially if you swish it around in there a bit. A bit of hoppiness and coriander noticeable with a subtle peanut butter aftertaste.

Body seems a hair thin and bubbly for the style. A would describe it as being on the lighter side of medium bodied.

I really think that the wheat beer base is a great idea for this sort of beer. It just seemed to lose the balance that the aroma suggested. Enjoyable.
    [​IMG]

aoampm, MUTINY, LeperJim and 36 others like this.
  9. Ri0

Ri0 (0) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society

Had to take my dog in to the vet today to fix a broken claw. It was bad enough that it would not get better on its own so they removed part of it. He is a bit groggy but doing well at home. :slight_smile:

So Almanac just started distro to WI this week. I finally got to try an AWA that was aged on blueberries, something I have wanted for years. I rated it a bit higher than average, but I seem to do that for many AWAs.

Nose is funky sweet, tart and seedy fruit juice. Notes of blueberry, wine, and wood notes. Flavor is of very tart blueberries with some sweetness. There is some woodiness and wine flavors on the finish. Light bodied with moderate carbonation with a dry finish. Pretty tasty and I wish I had an entire 750 ml to enjoy.

[​IMG]

aoampm, LeperJim, gopens44 and 31 others like this.
  10. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 (775) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Hey Happy Sunday all you NBSers! Thank you @cavedave for getting the seat hot with a wonderful rendition of practical poetry! Another winner of a day here in New England. I'm outside on the deck and its in the fifties and you can feel the sun starting to warm as we approach the start of spring. In the distance I can hear a leaf blower but more enjoyably the sound of children playing outside. Which relieves and relaxes me. First because the fond memories of childhood linger in my mind and second because I'm happy kids still do this instead of sitting in the house playing video games or whatever..
    Feel like we've cheated Old Man Winter so let's keep that theme for today's beer:
    UINTA BREWING BIERE DE MARS aged in Chardonnay barrels

Pours a beautiful fiery gold color with a thick creamy off white head that lats for minutes and leaves wonderful rings of world map Lacing. Beer has some haze and seems to be unfiltered. What a great looking beer!

Aroma is of green hop and grassiness with saison yeast, pears and apples and hints of white grapes and viniuos oak.

Taste follows with the fruits and white grapes and a nice hop bitterness that doesn't overpower and keeps the beer balanced and not sweet. Nice full flavor that lasts and dries the back of the tongue with oak.

Feel is medium bodied but goes down nicely with fine champagne like carbonation. Beer is drying in the throat and just Bitter enough.

This is a really nice biere de garde. I'm into the wine Barrel aging - especially red wine barrels with sours. Chardonnay/ white wine has been kind of hit or miss for me but this one certainly hits the mark! What a finely crafted spring beer.
    Definitely worth seeking out if you appreciate the style or just want to veer off course! Recommended highly.
    And for NOVS I'm spinning some great old Beatles and one of my favorite Harrison songs: Old Brown Shoe.
    Love the line: " for your sweet top lip I'm in the queue, baby I'm in love with you"
    Hey everyone have a great week and as always - Thanks for taking the time to listen!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

aoampm, LeperJim, gopens44 and 30 others like this.
  11. NiceTaps

NiceTaps (777) Nov 21, 2011 New Jersey
    Society Trader

New Strong Dark Ale, Belgian Style, American Made, Sunday!

Greetings from the Jersey Shore. Today's weather is mild, a bit cloudy, but quite warm for February, near 60 degrees. I took advantage and went for a long run this morning. Does that kinda make up for the runs that I've missed due to winter weather? Probably not, but some movement is better than none, I guess.
    Then I took a ride to Rossi's in Hamilton, NJ (about 35 mins.) to meet some old pals for a long overdue lunch date. Here's the resulting beer:
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/4/40051/?ba=NiceTaps

[​IMG]

One of my pals was drinking the same beer as me, the other's Bud Light is visible behind the glass of Allagash. So be it.

Here's a dulcet number from the Jersey indie music scene:

Well, I like it..........

All the best, everyone!

aoampm, LeperJim, gopens44 and 28 others like this.
  12. smanson56

smanson56 (0) Feb 15, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

Love the opener!

tasterschoice62 likes this.
  13. ovaltine

ovaltine (1,464) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

Crisper drawer broken ..... check.

Shelf collapse from excessive weight poorly distributed ..... check.

Door bin bracket broken due one beer too many crammed into said bin ..... check.

I'm a cottage industry for refrigerator repairmen.

14. WesMantooth

Society Trader

[​IMG]

LeperJim, woemad, smanson56 and 5 others like this.
  15. Wasatch

Wasatch (1,529) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

aoampm, 2beerdogs, gopens44 and 30 others like this.
  16. FriedSlug

FriedSlug (1,155) Feb 20, 2012 North Carolina
    Society

Cheers all NBS folks. Today I'll be spending some time with Tell-Tale Tart from Boulevard. I was going to smoke a pork loin and enjoy time outside in the 70 degree weather but rain decided to come around. Instead I'll cut a few chops of the loin and pan fry some later. On with the beer.

[​IMG]

Here is my review.

4.2/5 rDev +10.8%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a murky copper color that reminds me of a little of apple cider with the color but is clearer. The smell is really nice. It is a combination of apple cider vinegar, cherries and a malty sweetness. There is a bit of Belgian yeast smell that is faint in the nose but adds a touch of spiciness.The taste is very similar to the nose with apple cider vinegar up front, tart cherries in the middle and an almost caramel sweetness at the end. There is a medium light mouthfeel and moderate carbonation. This is one complex and tasty brew.

aoampm, 2beerdogs, gopens44 and 29 others like this.
  17. LeperJim

LeperJim (793) Feb 10, 2008 Ohio
    Society

Hi.

[​IMG]

Other than the routine Great Things that happen each week, these two stand out for me...

Great Thing #1:

I received a box of beer from the great BA @Prager62.

This is one of 'em:

Greenbush ~ Barrel Aged Cassius IPA

It's always kind of fun when a beer punches or bites you back. This beer delivers massive classic IPA flavor but cranked up a notch. Crisp fresh carbonation of purity. Beneath the rich color are the citrusy hops we all know so well and expect. Nice! The bourbon component is there but it's subtle and adds to this alternative big IPA journey.

Excellent! I love it!

Great Thing #2.

Friday I stopped by my favorite Wiccan pagan shoppe in the forest to browse.

The rock in the pic spoke to me. It glows. The image is the raw file with no effects.

My cute Wicca helper said, "It's Labradorite. The frozen fire of the Aurora Borealis. The mystical light that separates the waking world from unseen realms."

:slight_smile:

So I bought it for a mere $38.

Cheers all!
    Long live NBS!

aoampm, MUTINY, 2beerdogs and 31 others like this.
  18. JamesStreet

JamesStreet (0) May 9, 2013 Louisiana

Good afternoon BAs. Today for NBS I will be reviewing Pizza Port's Kook double IPA. The 16 oz. can was dated 1/19/2016 and was received in mail from the So-Cal area. It weighs in at 8.5% abv.
    L: 4.0 Kook poured out a really clear, golden-brass-like mixture of a color. It produced a good two-finger sized head of splotchy white foam. Dissipates rather quickly and leaves a moderate amount of lace on the glass.
    S: 4.0 Immediate smell is of tangerines, some mild piney notes and a peek of booze coming through.

[​IMG]

T: 4.0 Taste is of the tropical flavors with the booze still present. It's just a mild amount of heat, but its there and makes its presence known. Resiny hops flavor too with some malt backbone as well.
    M: 4.0 Feel is medium and coats the tongue nicely. This was close to being a 4.25, but not quite. Mildly carbonated and finishes with a mild bitterness.
    O: 4.0 Like most of the West Coast IPAs I've tried, I liked. This one hits all the notes I like of the style but doesn't really knock anything out of the park. Would drink again but nothing I would go out of my way for. Still, a nice DIPA.

aoampm, ovaltine, 2beerdogs and 30 others like this.
  19. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 (775) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

I WOULD LIKE TO APOLOGIZE TO ALL FOR LINKING THE MUSIC TO A VIDEO OF A FAKE BEATLES ROOFTOP CONCERT.
    I AM SO PISSED AT MYSELF FOR NOT NOTICING!!

LeperJim and utopiajane like this.
  20. WesMantooth

Society Trader

New Breakfast in a Bottle Sunday
    Taking a break from my Hop Ju Ju binge drinking to try another new brew courtesy of that _ichigan guy
    [​IMG]

4.03/5 rDev +4.9%
    look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Solid black, heavy medium viscosity pour. Not a big head, but it does retain a nice frothy tan film around the outside of the snifter.

Smells like blueberry muffins. Dominant, but not overwhelming. I don't notice much maple. More like faint molasses. The roasted dark malts are there. A hint of chocolate.

Much like the aroma, the blueberry is front and center, but not overbearing or off putting in any way. The difference here is I now get some definite maple syrup flavor. There is some chocolate, that I could do without, yet is kind of unavoidable, along with some slightly ashy charred flavor.

It is sort of dry and the body has a nice velevty texture without being heavy or any noticeable alcohol. Very on point here with the style I feel.

Excellent beer. Could see where it might not be in your face enough for some folks because it is very nicely balanced.

aoampm, MUTINY, ovaltine and 33 others like this.
  21. NotAlcoholicJustAHobby

NotAlcoholicJustAHobby (0) Jun 13, 2015 Vermont

After a long slow day at work, I offer up my first NBS beer of the day.

[​IMG]

Citrennial

Foley Brothers Brewing
    American IPA / 6.90% ABV

4.1/5 rDev -0.5% | Avg: 4.12
    look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

L-Slightly hazy and golden pour leads to a white 1 1/2 finger head. The head recedes to a thing film and the lacing is spotty.
    S- The aroma is all citrus which you would expect from a IPA brewed with Citra and Centennial.
    T- The citrusy flavor is of the sweeter variety. I wanna say peach, tangerine, and or/papaya. There is a solid level of bitterness. More than most straight Citra IPA's, I'd hazard that would be the centennial influence.
    F-Carbonation is prickly and lightens up the mouthfeel to something slightly less than medium.
    O- This is a very solid IPA. Not surprising since Foley Bros does some excellent IPA's. This isn't anywhere near as good as Prospect however. It seems to be more readily available and is a more than acceptable alternative if Prospect or Pieces of Eight are not available.

VABA, aoampm, ovaltine and 31 others like this.
  22. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 (0) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia

[​IMG]

Lower De Boom Barleywine from 21st Amendment Brewing

I bought this honestly because the can stood out in the cooler.

Typical barleywine at 11.5% very boozy and warm. Kind of a perfect beer to sip on a cold February night, but the temps are a bit too warm for it. It is a very high IBU for a barleywine (90) but I can barely taste the hop bomb (the booze kind of mixes well with it)

overall I gave it a 3.75/5 stars on Untappd but it definitely is getting more character as it gets warmer.

aoampm, ovaltine, 2beerdogs and 29 others like this.
  23. gopens44

gopens44 (0) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

Ninkasi Dawn of the Red

[​IMG]

Nice beige head with some sticky lacing atop a moderately hazy light orange beer.

Nose is big sweet malty with just a hint of piney.

Taste is very same but the sweetness takes on sort of a bubble gum character that gives way to that pine thing.

Very enjoyable for sure.

aoampm, ovaltine, utopiajane and 24 others like this.
  24. LeperJim

LeperJim (793) Feb 10, 2008 Ohio
    Society

Thoroughly enjoyed that!!

VABA and Greywulfken like this.
  25. WesMantooth

Society Trader

If you enjoy it now, you will be blown away 2 years in. This is truly one of the top handful of stouts to cellar.

dcotom, LeperJim, snaphook and 2 others like this.
  26. jwc215

jwc215 (0) Dec 6, 2005 Arizona
    Society

New Belgian Strong Dark Ale Sunday

Hello everyone! Mid-thirties and overcast here in Milwaukee, Wisconsin today. Today's brew is from Uinta - from the Crooked Line Series - "Port O' Call" - a 750 ml cage-corked bottle I paid about 10 bucks for. A Belgian Strong Dark Ale aged in port barrels. The port put an interesting, unique spin on it without overpowering it. The 9.4% abv reasonable well covered. It's nice - slightly on the fizzy side, and not really "robust" across the board. I gave the appearance, smell and taste 4.0's and the mouthfeel and overall 3.75's, resulting in an overall of 3.93, which is above the current average of 3.78.

Here's the link:
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1416/196052/?ba=jwc215

Cheers!

2beerdogs, aoampm, gopens44 and 16 others like this.
  27. Homebrew

Homebrew (0) Sep 5, 2012 Connecticut

What up Sunday Funday friends!!!!
    Finally getting around to posting today, been another hectic day with yet another open house for what appears to be the house hat won't sell?? Now it's beer thirty!!! Got some chorizo in the smoker from the local meat man so I got a couple few hours to drink before dinner. Gonna start with this guy. It's been staring me down since I unpacked it Friday from @JonathannRobert
    [​IMG]
    Look: a beautiful pitch black with creamy tan head
    Smell: sorry but all I'm gettin is some lite bourbon
    Taste: bottle says it's a bba caramel macchiato milk stout so I had REAL high hopes. Everything I love in one bottle!!! At first sip I get wood with some burnt caramel, a little booze on the back end, now on sip 4 and it tastes like it says, the smooth milk stout is coming thru and bourbon fading.
    Overall: I had high hopes for this beer and I gotta says its up to par. I think I found a new brewery to chase. Was lookin at the adroit theory website and was a c hair away from becoming a member, problem, I don't live anywhere near VA. ?? Looks like I gotta hit the viper pit for some more of these.

Till next Sunday friends, enjoy you beer and your evenings

jwc215, 2beerdogs, aoampm and 31 others like this.
  28. Act25

Act25 (570) Nov 8, 2010 New Jersey
    Society

DARK GAMUT - since majority of NBS's are dark, here are 5 from me tasted the last fortnight...
    Ranging from London to East Coast USA. Like you, I'm partial to black beers.

Black Betty - Beavertown (UK)
    4.37/5 rDev +8.4%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25
    I asked the London barkeep at Cask in Belgrave which was his favorite canned beer and he said the best black IPA ever is my fave - And now it's mine too!
    Can.
    A . A deep black. Light tan head pours big, ragged, thick, loamy and foamy and fades slowly to persistent crema... Boatloads of sticky lacing all of the way down the glass...
    S - Awesome and ample. Juicy fruits followed by sweet and roasted malt, with pepper candy, chocolate and coffee, brown sugar, pine resin and citrus hoppiness, raw honey, molasses, wet hay...
    T - Devlish see saw of bright, piney, grassy hop bitterness mixed with lots of toasted chocolate and coffee malts.. tart fruit, caramel malts and floral honey, brown sugar, ending in very long herbal, licorice, light pepper candy dark brown finish.
    F - Big, wet and peppery, smooth with oiliness and sharp finish.. full bodied... meditation beer.
    O - Best black IPA and one of the best beers i've had in a while... recommended..Must try!

Old Engine Oil - Harviestoun (UK)
    4.12/5 rDev +0.5%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Astounding. Must try.

A: Black motor oil color with ruby highlights sporting a frothy head that retains and leaves blobs of lace.

S: Deep, ample, roasty, with chocolate, prunes, brandy.

T: Foillows smell with it roasty, smoke and dark chocolate flavors mixing with earthy hop, then more smoke and black licorice in a long twisting finish.

F: Medium to full with moderate carbonation

O: a meditation beer. Go for 12.

Porter - Southern Tier
    3.91/5 rDev +6.3%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75
    Tasted against their 2x Black IPA at 8%, and I think this gets the edge, but both are good. Try 6.
    A - Pours with a finger of medium brown foam on top of an opaque, dark brown (not black) body with hint of amber. Ample head settles at a slow pace and leaves decent lace and ring.
    S - Soft, malty notes of toasted dark bread and caramel with molasses. More licorice and chocolate than coffee, and some roast and char.
    T - Follows smell. Features caramel and molasses up front on top of dark toast. Then a swelling note of rich, dark powdery chocolate. The beer finishes with more of the thick, almost licorice notes and bready malt as well as some pine hop bitterness that balances well.
    M - Medium body, but a well-made mouth feel, moderate carbonation, and a sweet but tingly finish.
    D - There's complexity here including a hint of licorice. Great brewer. Try 6.

2XIBA - Southern Tier
    3.86/5 rDev +2.4%
    look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75
    Perhaps it was the olives, marinated veg, cheese and baggette, and the 64 F day in Feb, but this was an elegant finish to the light.
    A. It's dark brown, not black, and sports a short tan head that fades fast, and leaves but dotty lace. Seen better.
    S: The aroma offers licorice, chocolate, coffee, wrinkled dark fruit, roasted malts and grassy hops. But slight.
    T: The taste follows smell, and starts sweet with licorice, chocolate, dark fruit, up front. Second, a roasty malt character arrives and takes you to the finish with slight hop bitter. Good food complement. The after-taste is licorice/jammy and slightly toasted, salty dark bread. (Good contrast -definitely a 4 with food.)
    M: Crisp, smooth, medium body, carbonation, finish is dry, salty, and slightly sticky.
    O: A saltier, roastier take on the style, with licorice as the predominant sweet note. Well done with good feel and gravitas.

Harpoon Chocolate Stout
    3.73/5 rDev +3.3%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75
    This beer has no business being consumed cold. Needs to be at cask temperature. Cold it would receive lower rating.
    A – A deep brown, near black, with a tan, two finger, dense head. Only bit of lacing on a chalice glass named Stella. And on 2-20-16 - a tulip named Duvel. ;-)
    S – The aroma is the best part. Prominent, dry, with mix of chocolate and a roasted malt smell. Also a caramel machiatto coffee with cinnamon, vanilla and cream. Almost egg nog.
    T – Follows the sweet milk chocolate and caramel macchiato with a moderate roasted flavor. These sweet flavors are the base upon which float char, roast, dry stout flavors, so it's a neat balance once it warms up. Very original, and more chocolate, and Starbucks, than most, say Brooklyn, etc.
    F – Reviewers found this beer thin, but I'd say it's medium and it's fine. Nothing to write home about.
    O –I wanted to ding this as a light weight when I drank it cold, but letting it warm made it very enjoyable, and original, a neat mix of a lot of chocolate and caramel coffee with a dry roast stout base.

2beerdogs, aoampm, ovaltine and 22 others like this.
  29. MacMalt

MacMalt (1,816) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Hello NBS friends. Today, I am trying two new brews together: Evil Twin Brewing's Yin and Yang.

[​IMG]
    First, I tried, and reviewed, them separately.

Yin:

4.17/5 rDev +5.3%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into stout glass. It pours a deep, dark opaque mahogany with a a one-finger khaki-colored head and lacing. It smells of roasted malt, dark chocolate, coffee, tobacco, and raisin. The taste is rather smoky with bitter chocolate, burnt coffee grounds, raisin, and a subtle caramel. As it warms in the glass, I taste more chocolate, as well as the raisin that I smelled. It finishes with some bitterness. This stout is medium-bodied but less viscous and oily than many other fine Imperial Stouts. Overall, it is very good-not at the level of KBS, FBS, BCBS, BOMB, Speedway, and some others but very good nonetheless.

Yang:

4.06/5 rDev +5.7%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured into IPA glass. It pours a clear orange-amber with a one-finger milk-white head and lacing. It has a nice dank smell with an aroma of tangerine, pine, and hops. You can really taste the tangerine/orange peel. It begins quite sweet and fruity but ends with a lot of hoppy bitterness. It's a really nice balance of sweet and bitter. It's a medium-bodied ale with moderate carbonation and it hides its 10% ABV quite well. Overall, it's a well-crafted and enjoyable IPA. Like Yin, it's not as good as some of its famous competitors but it is solid and worth trying.

Then, since I haven't been able to find Yin and Yang in bottles, I blended and rated my own (please don't hold this against me):

[​IMG]

I think the whole was greater than the sum of the parts.

Yin and Yang:

4.21/5 rDev +3.4%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I admit, I cheated my mixing my own. The Yin supplies the color - a pretty, opaque mahogany with a khaki-colored head and lacing. It looks like Yin. The smell becomes more interesting because the coffee and chocolate is more subdued and there is an aroma of tangerine which seems weird in what looks like a stout. The taste is both unique and really good: The tangerine comes through more than I expected but there is still a nice malt base with chocolate and coffee. There is a distinct bitterness from both underlying beers. Not being purely a stout, the body doesn't seem as thin. The ABV of each constituent is 10% so the blend is no different. Overall, I think is is an example of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts.

jwc215, 2beerdogs, aoampm and 29 others like this.
  30. GRPunk

GRPunk (0) Apr 5, 2007 Michigan

New American Stout

It feels like a beautiful spring day in West MI. Blue skies and temps in the 40s. Too bad I've been cooped up for the weekend.

After getting the ole "snip snip" on Thursday, I've been icing my nuts and self medicating with imperial stouts and double IPAs. One positive is working my way through some of my cellared bottles as well as being the recipient of a number of sympathy brews.

Today's is an interesting ale from Short's. Good, not great. Hoping to come back with another.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/9629/110395/?ba=GRPunk

Bim Bam Boom
    $2.29 for a 12oz. Bottle (dated 01/07/16)at Copper Vine. Poured into a Stone IRS snifter.

A- A normal pour create 1-finger of light brown head that drops to a thin foam. The body is near black. Decent lacing is left on the glass.

S- Mostly chocolate at first. There's a little cayenne in the background, though I don't know that I'd notice if I wasn't looking for it. Definitely more aromatic with a little warmth.

T- Interesting. I get the chocolate up front. Through the middle comes the orange, in a somewhat bitter form. The finish is a light dose of the cayenne. The latter 2 flavors are definitely tamed by the chocolate that represents throughout. The longer I go, the more pronounced the cayenne finish.

M- Medium body with moderate carbonation. There is a slight burn and dryness from the peppery finish.

O- I've actually been craving a pepper stout lately. This one almost got me there. Upping the cayenne so it hits a bit more through the middle would be a plus in my book. I don't know that the orange addition does much either. I'm glad I gave it a shot, but I'm probably not going back for another.

4 3.75 4 3.75 3.75

[​IMG]

jwc215, 2beerdogs, aoampm and 29 others like this.
  31. Prager62

Prager62 (1,259) May 7, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

Howdy folks, I'm back for another with Short's Batch 5000 Triple IPA. I've read the Michigan hype and I'm pouring this undated, no abv. listed recent release in my Weyerbacher tulip glass.

Pours a brilliant gold with a generous finger of frothy white foam. The aroma is tropical fruit with grapefruit, passionfruit, mango and pineapple. There is some candy sugar sweetness as well. Flavor is biting hop bitterness with grapefruit, passionfruit, guava, mango, and pineapple. There's a residual malt sweetness in the finish. The feel is oily, bitter, and on the flat side.

[​IMG]

As triple IPA's go, this is around the middle of the road for me. A big beer with some pretty intense flavor, but I'll take the lower abv. and more balanced flavors of Hi Res and the much lower price point per ounce. Sorry Michigan homers and trade hypers for not agreeing on this one. :wink:

This might be it for me today. Have a great week and enjoy the review.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/9629/212564/?ba=Prager62

jwc215, 2beerdogs, aoampm and 28 others like this.
  32. MacMalt

Society Trader

@SawDog505, thanks for your great review. I'm a little surprised we don't see Left Hand more on WBAYDN and NBS. They brew some excellent product. I'm a big fan of Wake Up Dead (both regular and Nitro) and Smoke Jumper (which I don't think is brewed anymore). And Milk Stout Nitro, while a little thin, really hits the spot now and again.

33. zeff80

zeff80 (0) Feb 6, 2006 Missouri
    Society

Delirium Red. Can't say I love it. It's not bad, just a little bland. It's so slightly tart and also slightly sweet. It's like the beer couldn't decide which way to go. The 8% ABV is hidden well, though.

aoampm, utopiajane, LeperJim and 10 others like this.
  34. laketang

laketang (0) Mar 22, 2015 Arizona
    Society

yang sounds well balanced to me from your review, I might try it now, thanks!

dcotom and MacMalt like this.
  35. Premo88

Premo88 (870) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

Look at all this BEER!

I got one ... a *new* one for me, in fact:
    [​IMG]
    Real Ale's Four Squared
    (now with "dry-hopped pale ale" on label ... more on that later ...)

this one's not exactly a newborn baby, is it?
    [​IMG]
    Midnight the Cat says shuddup and drink it ... and give me some tuna ...
    [​IMG]

Originally Real Ale marketed this beer as a dry-hopped Fireman's Four, which is their blonde ale gateway brew. I never tried Four Squared when it still held that moniker, so I can't say for sure if they've changed the recipe AND the labeling or just the labeling.

But what is a pale ale if it's not a dry-hopped blonde? :confused:?

The review:
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/458/82807/?ba=Premo88
    3.95 (-1%rDev)
    5.6% ABV -- 42 IBUs -- 13.75 degress (plato)

Considering this beer might be five months old, it's fantastic. Tons of citrusy hop flavor, orange, grapefruit ... and the nose is amazing. It's full of hoppy greeness but also sweet, like a sugary cilantro. It pushed up that huge head off what I thought was a medium-ish pour (oops:grimacing:), but even after popping that big head and all my swirling to enjoy the aroma, it held on to enough carbonation to keep it drinkable for my born-and-bred-soda-pop-drinking-American palate.

I get why it rates in the high 3.9s. It should. In fact, I bet a fresh one of these tastes just like All-Day IPA ... and don't nobody throw nothin at me here, but I'd swear this old one is already coming off a lot like Yellow Rose's Lone Pint. Lots of hop flavor, not a ton of bitterness (just a wee bitty bite to remind ya it's not water).

Cheers, y'all!

2beerdogs, aoampm, ovaltine and 29 others like this.
  36. MacMalt

Society Trader

@snaphook, I find that FIS ages really well. I'm still drinking the '15 and haven't bought any '16 yet. Enjoy. Cheers!

snaphook likes this.
  37. MacMalt

Society Trader

@laketang, I tend to like maltier beers and I'm a little self-conscious about rating IPA's but I enjoyed Yang. It's not a pure hop bomb but if you like IPA's with some sweet fruit, then you'd probably like this one.

laketang likes this.
  38. laketang

laketang (0) Mar 22, 2015 Arizona
    Society

yes i would, thanks!

39. MacMalt

Society Trader

@cavedave, I usually post late on NBS and tend not to thank you and Maria for getting this thread started each week. Well, thank you. Cheers!

40. MacMalt

Society Trader

@prager
    @Prager62, thanks for your great review! Insanity is one of my favorites, and go-to, beers. It is usually the first beer I have when I get home from work on Friday night (both in terms of enjoyment and symbolism). I'm always glad to see others rate it highly. Cheers!

cjgiant and Prager62 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.