New Beer Sunday (week 575)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by utopiajane, Feb 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Groupies of grain, stevedores of style. Today is the day and this is the place to get your groove on. Welcome to New Beer Sunday. This is where we have a NEW beer and TELL each other about it. We get down with our libations, razzle dazzle with pics and prose and even gab a little bit about your week and weekend. Beer is reviewed for it's attributes in each of 5 categories. So get out your pens, don't leave anything out and and let's get jiggy with it.

New American Pale Whale Sunday

In my life I never thought I would have a beer from Toppling Goliath. First of all what a cool name. They are not that old and I can remember people being very excited about the beer I have from them today when it first came out. It is number 36 when last I looked on BA's top 250 and is an American Pale Ale best described as a citra hop bomb. Single Hop Pseudo Sue.

[​IMG]

The pour is outstanding with a creamy head of just off white foam that adorns the beer and lasts. Falls decadently clinging. In the light of my living room the beer appears to have a slight orange blush to it like a haze, only a hue. In direct light there is no orange, the beer is yellow with a perfect stream of bubbles that steadily rise from the center.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nose is mango. Outrageous and ripe! A soft and very broad hop floral that is sweet. Crakery malt, light pepper from the hops. A light floral nectar. This beer smells like what attracts bees to flowers. Earthy grapefruit rind and hints of lemon.

Dazzling flavor. Bright malt with just a hint of sweetness that combines with the hop pepper. It's like a peppery cracker. Mango is juicy and ripe and fills up the middle. The citrus on the palate is fresh and crisp and like a light tang. No real tartness to the flavor. The grapefruit peel is earthy and heady with fragrance. Sweet lemon as it warms. The beers is light to the perception but actually has a good solid mouthfeel. The alcohol makes up most of the weight on the tongue but then that sensual dry crackery malt is creamy and round. Flavor is complex from the citra hop. Bitterness is moderate but not too strong. It's as though this beer wants to show you the hops as a flower. This beer opens like a flower on the nose and on the palate. The finish is what clinches it though. It's like a bit of bitter sap from the stem.

I love it. This is one of the best pale ales I have ever had. Crushable, dangerously drinkable and shows one hop in all it's delicate and robust complexity.

Sue paired well with Golden Beets with Lemon and Ginger, and Roasted Chicken with Smoked Paprika and Orange. And Roasted Broccoli Rabe with Garlic and Lemon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have to admit I did something with Sue that I never imagined I would ever do. I never understood it fully until now but Sue is my first shower beer. I can't even really explain why I did it. :grinning:

Happy New Beer Sunday!

SOS Band

[​IMG]

#1 utopiajane, Feb 28, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  2. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (5,780) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society Trader

Thank you Maria for getting NBS off to a mouth-watering start.

I am going to my first opera today. Our niece is in graduate school at Boston University, studying opera, and she is one of the leads in Cosi fan tutti. This is about two sisters who are engaged to two brothers. The boys are going off to fight a war, and some old troublemaker tells them their betrothed will be unfaithful to them while they are away. So they come back in disguise and attempt to seduce the women, testing their fidelity. It sounds convoluted to me. I'm told it is a three and a half hour production, in Italian. I hope there's an intermission, and I hope there are English superscripts.

I picked this beer up yesterday, planning to drink it for breakfast.
    It is a dark brown color with a tiny tan head.
    The aroma is coffee and milk.
    First taste is strong espresso, quickly followed by sweet milk. Almost like a latte.
    It is a very smooth, tasty beer, and paired well with my hot dog.

[​IMG]

3. woodychandler

woodychandler Poo-Bah (12,542) Apr 9, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

It's Sunday & I want to open the presents! I wake up early, like a little kid at Christmas, on these occasions. I'm anxious to get started! I really dig this weekly forum & my absence hurt. I try to set things up in advance so that these Sundays have a theme. Usually, they also involve the furtherance of The CANQuest (tm), my misguided, ongoing attempt to drink & review EVERY CANned beer in existence & this week is no exception.

I am on a press junket next week, so I may not be able to participate, but I leave it up to you for my next NBS visit - a) Gluten-free beers; b) Peak Organics; c) Great Divide; d) something else; e) STFU & choose it myself. Your input is valued, but please provide it via a Conversation (site E-mail).

Happy Chicago(land) New Beer Sunday!

Most people know me as a die-hard Pittsburgh sports fan, having latched onto the Pirates in 1974 at the tender age of 9 y/o, but my secondary sports city is Chicago, especially since there is only a modicum of overlap. I root for the NFC Bears (I graduated from J. P. MCaskey H. S. & Virginia McCaskey still lives locally); the 'Hawks (with the greatest logo in sports) & the CHISOX, plus I try to get to the City of the Big Shoulders at least once a year. My last two visits were November 2014 and June 2015, so I am beginning to jones for a return. In fact, it's making me A Little Crazy.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22072/77606/?ba=woodychandler

Y'see, I met this Revolutionary chick named Rosa on my last visit and it's that old story of boy meets girl and ...

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22072/70644/?ba=woodychandler

I'll be back before we segue into Late Night to re-gale you with more tales of the Windy City (get it?).

gopens44, LeRose, LeperJim and 34 others like this.
  4. dee4maine

dee4maine Initiate (0) Jun 3, 2015 Maine

what an amazing narrative and description Maria! Made me wipe the drool off my phone many times. I have come to believe after a long stint of tasting lots of DIPAs and IPAs that while a lot of those famous ones ( Heady, Double SOS, MBC dinner, Swish etc ) are complex and awesome, more often then not, I crave for joys of drinking a solid pale ale. I find it truly comparable to a dish where it's simple enough to enjoy each part of its flavor yet never overwhelming. Cheers!

5. dee4maine

dee4maine Initiate (0) Jun 3, 2015 Maine

Hope you have loads of fun watching the opera! I have never been to an opera myself and wondered if it will be as moving as it is to the opera lovers, especially most often it is in language that is foreign. But then, even English is a second language for me. Nothing like a common language of a good craft brew! :slight_smile:
    Cheers.

6. NiceTaps

NiceTaps Poo-Bah (1,983) Nov 21, 2011 New Jersey
    Society Trader

New RIS, American Made, Sunday!

Good morning from The Jersey Shore where a great beer is capping off another great week. The thermometer is forecast for a 60 degree reading today. I may head to the driving range later to knock some rust off the "swing". With that in mind, I started early this morning:
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/user/beers/?ba=NiceTaps

[​IMG]

What happened to the "NEW" in some NBS entries, I wonder?

All the best!

7. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Yes, the Opera is long. But it is also widely regarded by many to be among the 10 best ever written. For me one key that opened a door to enjoying Opera was when I realized that the stories were almost incidental to the music and staging and that I should listen to the voices as being part of the instrumentation of the music and not worry that I didn't understand the words.

Hope you enjoy the production.

#7 drtth, Feb 28, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  8. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

[​IMG]

Yesterday's life lesson was "How to replace the heating element in your dryer" and after watching a YouTube video and spending $50 (I got off cheap, luckily) I succeeded. You can learn how to do just about anything on YouTube.

I'm dog tired after yesterday, but trying a new beer from Kona should perk me up. I like just about everything I've tried from Kona except their Koko Brown. I bought a 12 pack mixer this week and I was pretty happy with every beer, and today Castaway IPA gets the NBS call.

Look: The head is as rocky as sea foam, and I can assure you that it leaves spectacular lacing -- wicked foamy bands all the way down my nucleated Samuel Smiths glass.

Aroma: Sweet mango keeps popping through the mostly spicy aroma.

Taste: Where did the tropical fruits go? The taste is more cedar wood and spicy, peppery hops. Just a hint of fruit.

Mouthfeel: 6% ABV, pretty clean and dry.

Overall: Pretty good, I rated it 3.79, just a small positive rDev.

I will be back next Sunday with a beer I've seen on BA a lot and always wanted to try, so I can't wait for next weekend. Cheers!

And I'm sorry, but I had to post this: Literally one of my all-time favorite films, I've watched it at least 10 times.

NiceTaps, gopens44, LeRose and 40 others like this.
  9. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,321) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Good morning friends,
    I have a back and knee problem, so the hounds are out with Martha. It is strikingly beautiful out, going to end up being warm..and I am ambulatory, barely.
    Today's beer is Sierra Nevada Hop Hunter. This one is beyond fresh, maybe made tomorrow, but damned it is so very tasty, yellow in the glass with a persisting white cap. The hop/malt/alcohol balance suits me well. The Sierra Nevada 12 packs are a wonder. I buy Sierra Nevada beers as a love for their commitment to the area. They really are all good. Martha drinks the Torpedoes; they just hurt me because I usually want more than two beers!
    [​IMG]

These tunes are easy to not give credit to, but we should. My sister in law said, "I don't do the Beach Boys", but these guys really sing. They are vocal masters.

NiceTaps, gopens44, LeRose and 39 others like this.
  10. utopiajane

Cheers! I hope you feel better =)

tasterschoice62 and kemoarps like this.
  11. drtth

With that Hop Hunter in your glass it sounds to me as though you are coping well. Having recently revisited the beer I'm thinking it's a prime candidate for my favorite IPA from Sierra Nevada.

kemoarps and rgordon like this.
  12. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,321) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Thank you very much.

utopiajane and kemoarps like this.
  13. HectorB

HectorB Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2013 New York

Maria, did you try the Sue brewed in Florida, or the one made in Iowa? Some people say there is a difference, with the nod going to the a Iowa version. I've only tried the Iowa version, and it was world class. I remember it looking much more cloudy and unfiltered than your pic, though. Cheers!

14. kemoarps

kemoarps Poo-Bah (2,358) Apr 30, 2008 Washington
    Society Trader

I am very excited for BIFx3. The NBS BIFs are such a great display of everything that's great about this shared hobby and the community we've created in this corner of the infosphere. I highly recommend anyone on the fence about it take the plunge. You won't regret it (well at least until you look at your credit card bill/waist line...).

[​IMG]
    So that's new. Wasn't even the right bus I was running for!

I'm generally not a fan of 'Session' IPAs. I'm a grumpy old man. I've made peace with this. Mostly. It's one of the trends of late that just raises my hackles completely irrationally. Most of the time it feels like it's really just an APA that they wanted to have stand out from the crowd via (mis-)labeling. Or it's just a watered down shadow of something for which it's better suited. Or one time even it just tasted like grassy soap. No joke. Occasionally, however, a beer will come along that bucks this trend, and even this curmudgeonly old Ebeneezer has to let his guard down and admit that he's come across a damn tasty beer that's not overly filling and has a low enough alcohol content (relatively speaking, of course) that one could potentially enjoy a plethora of this potently potable production.

Overdub is one such beer.

It holds absolutely no sway over the final ratings, but there is something satisfyingly visceral about a textured can, such as the one boasted by this fine offer from Astoria's Fort George.
    -Once it escapes said tactile delight the pour is a golden straw colour that belongs to prop glasses and movie sets. The head is large wet bubbles and settles to a sense and finds its comfort. Large lazy bubbles work their way northward over time.
    -The nose promises long afternoons and so fresh and so clean clean an experience that it seems more than anything an anachronism in the winter doldrums of February. Juicy tropical fruit and citrus lead the way.
    -Taste dials the juice back a touch, though maintains the fresh clean rating. Airy. Breezy. Like vaulted ceilings and exposed beams. Late afternoon in late summer with light filtering through the leaves. Over-wrought metaphors and descriptors that would encourage an eye roll from any middle school english teacher. WHY IS IT FEBRUARY IN AN APARTMENT IN THE CITY??!?!?
    -Anyway, yeah I like it.

[​IMG]
    She does that skeptical/exasperated teenager look altogether too well.

Cheers everyone, hope you enjoy your sunday and the beverage with which you choose to greet the hour!

NiceTaps, gopens44, LeRose and 29 others like this.
  15. Angerhaus

Angerhaus Crusader (736) Oct 1, 2015 Rhode Island
    Trader

[​IMG]

Like many of you, I love the anticipation that comes with beer trades. Checking the tracking numbers each day, gleefully opening the box, unwrapping the bubble wrap enclosed beverages... it's like Christmas, but with less booze and sliced ham. This particular bottle made the trip from Florida to Wisconsin curtesy of @Bprowell The trade took a little longer than each of us would have liked due to Wisconsin sometimes emulating a frozen hell, but this bottle was worth the wait.

Opened and shared this with a couple of friends for game night, including @robear . The moment you pull the cap off the bottle you know you're in for something interesting. That maple nose oozes out of the bottle reminiscent of a Looney Toons cartoon pie lifting characters off the ground through the physical forces of amazing aromas. Syrup covered pancakes all the way.

We pretty much all agreed that the midlevel ABV worked better than something in the imperial range. A huge ABV would have been distracting, and added unnecessary sweetness to a beer that's already well balanced. Interestingly, the coffee didn't seem all that strong in the taste. It was there, but certainly took a backseat to the maple. Similarly, the bacon wasn't at all overpowering either as you often find in "bacon" flavored brews. Overall, an outstanding balance from the tip of the tongue all the way to the backbone.

NiceTaps, kemoarps, Bprowell and 42 others like this.
  16. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (5,108) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Maria, if you're doing that pairing for breakfast, can I please be invited? Pleeeease?

17. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (4,415) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

Greetings, fellow NBSers, and thanks to the inimitable @utopiajane for getting this hulk out of the harbor,

Out in the half-light (more like ¾ light at this point) there’s a tiny bit of pinkness to the east, but the sky is mostly assuming the slate gray color of “mostly cloudy.” Right now it’s 35, but it’s supposed to climb to the low 50s. Normally I'd just be stumbling out of bed right now, but I'm up early because I worked a graveyard shift Friday night/Saturday morning, then tried to power through, failed and crashed around 6PM, then fitfully awoke and crashed again throughout the night.

On the New Beer front, Monday I paid a long overdue visit to a local restaurant specializing in craft beer called The Blackbird. Located in an old dairy building on the northeast side of Riverfront Park, The Blackbird specializes in a kind of modern-southern fusion style of food. Everything seemed geared towards a contrast of sweet and salty. I popped in specifically to try Mount St. Humulous, a 3IPA from Bale Breaker, and accompanied it with Bacon Fat Popcorn(!) that was actually rather good, if quite greasy. How was the beer?

As Triple IPAs go, this was quite drinkable. Maybe not as easy to drink as a couple of the insidiously strong and don't taste like it ,draft-only, wake up in another state hop monsters Iron Goat has done, but in that ballpark. http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/31389/212915/?ba=woemad. A 12oz can of this would be awesome, Bale Breaker. Just sayin’.

Also on tap that day was a Black IPA from Paradise Creek, one that I’d thought I’d already had. http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/23312/168239/?ba=woemad. I see on BA we’re now calling this style the American Black Ale. Whatever you call it, it was very tasty. It reminds me more of a hoppy, robust stout than an IPA, but there’s still plenty of “Lupular Fallout” in this beer.

Not sure what I’ll be back with later on today, but I’ve plenty of choices. I’ve still a couple of winter warmers that need dispatching and a local coffee beer on deck as well, and even a Scottish Ale brewed by a Belgian brewery located in Idaho.

‘til then, cheers!

NiceTaps, kemoarps, gopens44 and 30 others like this.
  18. utopiajane

brewed by toppling goliath brewing company decorah IA under special agreement with lakeland florida

I thought it was something special. Mine was very fresh too bottled on 2/10/16.;

kemoarps, smanson56 and HectorB like this.
  19. utopiajane

You betcha! :slight_smile:

kemoarps likes this.
  20. Ozzylizard

Society Trader

Hah! My first opera was "Der Ring des Nibelungen" in German with German subtitles, all 12 hours, more or less. After that, nothing else counts. But I can't complain - it was self-inflicted. But seriously, you must be very proud!

kemoarps, cavedave, smanson56 and 2 others like this.
  21. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (5,780) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society Trader

Good advice. Thanks!

kemoarps and smanson56 like this.
  22. drtth

If you can't complain about sitting through all 12 hours of Der Ring (withoug any beer in hand :-)) you must have slept through long periods of the performance. :-)

Wagner's was a genius composer who needed a good editor.

Typical Wagnerian dialog:

I'm going to kill him. (10 repetitions)
    I'm killing him. (10 repetitions)
    I've killed him. (20 repetitions).

:-)

kemoarps, gopens44, LeRose and 7 others like this.
  23. utopiajane

Arps! Damn! :grinning:

-Once it escapes said tactile delight the pour is a golden straw colour that belongs to prop glasses and movie sets. The head is large wet bubbles and settles to a sense and finds its comfort. Large lazy bubbles work their way northward over time.
    -The nose promises long afternoons and so fresh and so clean clean an experience that it seems more than anything an anachronism in the winter doldrums of February. Juicy tropical fruit and citrus lead the way.
    -Taste dials the juice back a touch, though maintains the fresh clean rating. Airy. Breezy. Like vaulted ceilings and exposed beams. Late afternoon in late summer with light filtering through the leaves. Over-wrought metaphors and descriptors that would encourage an eye roll from any middle school english teacher. WHY IS IT FEBRUARY IN AN APARTMENT IN THE CITY??!?!?

24. microbrewlover

microbrewlover Initiate (0) Oct 5, 2006 Pennsylvania

[​IMG]

This brew pours a solid black color with a 1.5 finger head which dissipates quickly however some remains until the end. There is also a good amount of lacing.

The smell is full of sweet oats, chocolate, burnt coffee and toasted oats. There is also a hint of lightly spiced hops.

The taste, happily, follows the nose with oats dominating but balanced by the bitter coffee the whole way through to the end. The chocolate taste as well as the toasted oats underlie everything from start to finish. There is a very light taste of mild hops at the finish. The finish is just slightly dry however the feel is mostly smooth and creamy. Overall this is my new WOW beer.

NiceTaps, kemoarps, gopens44 and 38 others like this.
  25. Ozzylizard

Society Trader

Good morning New BSers! Maria, after that start I'm ready to take my beer and go home. Fortunately I'm already there so it'll be a short trip. But speaking of short trips, it's off to Erie to pick up some Vegemite and other bacterial and fungal produced foodstuffs for my micro class. I'm planning on giving them a night off from class while grossing some of them out with foods they may not ordinarily try. After last Wednesday's exam (range 51 -100, mean 68) some of them are going to need a food binge. I'm also planning on taking them out to dinner after their field trip to a clinical lab but that's an upcoming surprise,

Anyway, I'll be in TX Thursday and off to Jester King Friday and Saturday to see what I can pick up for the NBS BIF #3. I've got a beerfest on tap for next Sunday in New Braunfels so maybe I'll post later with some photos of that, assuming I'm sober enough to work my camera.

Today's new brew is another California offering since only Illinois and California will ship to PA, as far as I've been able to determine.

[​IMG]

Undated 16.9oz bottle at 42 degrees into hand washed and dried JK snifter, allowed to warm to 50 degrees
    Aroma very heavy roasted malt, some coffee
    Head small (< two cm, aggressive pour), light brown, creamy/frothy, rapidly diminishing to three mm ring and partial layer
    Lacing excellent - complete tight ring of tiny bubbles
    Body dark brown/black, opaque
    Flavor heavy roasted malt and a hint of coffee, lacks the roasted malt bitterness; no hops, no alcohol, no diacetyl
    Palate medium to full, creamy, soft carbonation, leaves my lips slightly sticky

Appearance 4, Aroma 3.75, Flavor 4.25, Palate 4, Overall 4. My rating: 4.04, Avg 4.01, rDev +0.7%

This is a decent coffee/brown sugar/oatmeal blend stout in which the coffee is under powering, a pleasant change from many stoutish coffee brews currently available, including the one I brewed last month.

Cheers!

NiceTaps, kemoarps, gopens44 and 40 others like this.
  26. RonaldTheriot

RonaldTheriot Poo-Bah (4,144) Aug 11, 2008 Louisiana
    Society

I love the Narwhal!

NiceTaps, kemoarps, LeRose and 2 others like this.
  27. utopiajane

Vegemite? :grimacing: :confused: It sounds like fun! =)

kemoarps, woemad and Ozzylizard like this.
  28. RonaldTheriot

RonaldTheriot Poo-Bah (4,144) Aug 11, 2008 Louisiana
    Society

[​IMG]
    7% alcohol. 70 IBU. Introduced in 2015. Brewed in Michigan.

4.18/5 rDev +6.4%
    look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Azacca IPA has a fairly thick, bone-colored, soapy head, moderate lacing left behind, and a mostly clear, burnt orange appearance, with some bubble streams and powdery sediment, throughout. The aroma is of fruit, mango-like hop resin, and white bread crust, and the flavor is the same, with increasingly strong, yet, never harsh, hop bitterness, setting in. The mouthfeel is low medium, and Founders Azacca IPA finishes smooth and drying.

RJT

29. Ozzylizard

Society Trader

What cracks me up about this is Seifried, the alleged hero, is so one-dimensional compared to almost everyone else - I'd rather have Brunnhilde covering my back than Seigfried. Seigfried's parents were brother and sister - you can almost see the deleterious gene combinations piling up. At least the repetition gives you time to figure out what's going on!

30. Ozzylizard

Society Trader

Basically it is heavily salted brewers yeast, pretty nasty to my taste buds!

31. woemad

Society Trader

Not to mention a slap upside the head every now and then for his non-musical opinions.

Operas are rarely about the plot, @lordofthewiens. Usually the plots are nothing more than a framework to hang music and singing, and are often convoluted, nonsensical, or entirely silly (Mozart's were often all three). Generally, it's best not to worry too much about the plot the way you would a movie or play and just enjoy the music (if you like or at least can tolerate classical music that will certainly help). If it's not your thing, just hit whatever alcohol options are available during the intermissions and confine your attention to whenever your niece is on stage and you'll get through it!

32. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (10,026) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Greetings fellow NBSers!!! I come before you this morning with a proclamation: LAST CALL FOR NBS BIF #3!!!!! LAST CALL FOR NBS BIF#3!!!!!! If you are undecided, well decide to join! we've got about 20 participants already and we're trying to hit the 30 mark. If you want to join in the hijinks, respond to this thread: http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/triple-threat-nbs-bif-3.388922/ . That is also the thread that we will be using as our Hints and Hauls thread. A lot of your NBS friends are doing it, and you want to be a cool kid, don't you? It's not like you'll put an eye out. You will however, end up with a bunch of new NBS entries. Join in the fun!!!!!

33. woemad

Society Trader

That's pretty hard core, starting off by sitting through all of Wagner's Ring in one sitting. I think a lot of opera houses actually break it up into several consecutive nights. So, when you learned to swim, did you hurl yourself into the deep end of the pool? :wink:

Back in the 80s, when I was an adolescent, my parents took my brother and I to several operas in Seattle, back when the Seattle Opera had developed a reputation for quality but had not yet become enormously expensive to attend. Back then they were especially known for their Wagner productions and were actually putting on the full Ring around that time, but over the course of 4 nights (we didn't go - logistically, alone it would have been a nightmare, and at that age my brother and I would not have reacted well to nearly a week of 3 hour operas).

34. hopflyer

hopflyer Initiate (0) Nov 10, 2013 Pennsylvania

Greetings NBS crew and thanks once again to Maria for kicking things off. Wifey is off to a bridal expo today trying to get her new wedding planning business kicked off. This business is her dream and I really hope this gets things going for her. I'm home with the 3 kiddos and while the 2 youngest run around dressed as a ninja and batman, I need some mental lubrication until I get these guys outside.

I've been holding on to this classic for a little while and figured I'd get this one opened today to share with NBS. Bottled 4/24/14 so approaching 2 years. Enjoy the springlike weather today.

[​IMG]

Bottled 4/24/14

Pours nearly opaque black with a little amber/ruby red highlight when held up to light. Head is ample 1 1/2 finger light tan color. Looks like an espresso. Head receeds to a nearly full film on top with tight bubbled collar. Collar widens as the top film dissipates.

Nose is heavy chocolate and coffee and signifies there's a lot of depth. Ever so slight licorice scent but reminds me of the chocolate licorice more so than black licorice. Some alcohol/ booze in far background.

Initial taste is medium roast coffee with a fairly prominent vanilla component to compliment it. A slight twang of roast and bitterness on the back of the tongue. Opens up to some bitter-sweet bakers chocolate but when cold, the bitterness overtakes the sweetness. 12% is nowhere to be found. Bitterness from the roasted malts later excuses itself somewhat to some chocolately and caramel sweetness as it warms.

Medium to full bodied and silky feel complimented by low carbonation. Lingering bitterness on back of palate. Has a milky texture.

I've been holding on to this bottle for a while and figured I'd give it a crack today for NBS. Did not disappoint one bit. Full bodied feel offers a range of all the flavors you'd expect in a coffee stout. ABV is invisible and not sure if it's because of the age or just the artistry in how this one was crafted. Nonetheless, I need more of this.

4.47/5 rDev +2.3%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

35. woemad

Society Trader

The question is, does it still work?

I have a friend who once drunkenly hurled his down a street in the mistaken belief he was doing so with the empty water bottle he held in his other hand. His phone looked much like yours, but damn if it worked just fine afterwards!

kemoarps and smanson56 like this.
  36. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (4,248) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

Short's Soft Parade

Picked this up on a whim, trying a couple Shorts offerings when first seeing them at my local bottle shop last weekend. Didn't realize this was specifically brewed "for those ladies who like their wine."

Pours a pale strawberry-rhubarb color with a thin bright-white head that quickly dissipates to a thin white crown. Definitely looks fruity.

Unfortunately, it has a strong burnt-toast (more like a burnt hotdog bun) aroma with only some faint mixed berry behind it. Thought maybe I was having a stroke, but no, it's only when sniffing the beer that I get that. Had my daughter take a whiff, and, unprompted, she said "burnt garbage and ginger." She doesn't have the trained nose I do, but kids' senses are supposed to be sharper.

The taste is the same as the nose. Nothing else to say there. It's got a very thin-bodied, watery mouthfeel, with the burnt bun flavor lingering into the aftertaste.

Overall, I'd say stick with the wine, ladies. Hope to have something better to share this afternoon.

37. JamesStreet

JamesStreet Meyvn (1,026) May 9, 2013 Louisiana

Good Morning BAs: Today, not only am I reviewing a new beer that I've been waiting a looooong time for, it's also the day I turn the big 4 OH! So.....with creaky knees, brittle ankles and a shot back, I give you Firestone Walker's 14th Anniversary Beer.
    [​IMG]

L: 4.25 Poured into a snifter/tulip, this one pours a rich-looking dark molasses-colored brown that leaves a mahogany color when swirled in the light. Not a lot of head left on this one as it only produced about a fingers' worth of nutty-brown head. Not a lot of retention and nearly no lace at all.
    S: 4.5 Yep. This is where this beer really gets me! What an amalgamation of all six beers blended in this thing. Sweet toffee and caramel, robust nuttiness, oak, vanilla, and a bit of the bourbon left in here. Really nice.
    T: 4.25 Sugary sweet almost. Some chocolate notes come in as well as the aforementioned nuts, vanilla, wood and caramel. Bourbon has definitely mellowed out in this one.
    [​IMG]

M: 4.25 Feel is coating and heavy medium. Not motor oil viscosity, but on the verge of heavy. Some booze in there, obviously at 12.5%, finishes sweet and warm.
    O: 4.25 This beer, with all of its blends, tends to lean to Stickee Monkey, imo. That's what I'm picking up the most. Didn't get any of the coffee, as expected since this beer is going on 5 years old. All in all, still a great pour.

kemoarps, NiceTaps, hopflyer and 41 others like this.
  38. Oktoberfist

Oktoberfist Initiate (116) Nov 26, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Deactivated

Stegmaier's Porter. Apparently it's awesome. Will also have this year's version of Terrapin's Pumpkinfest (expiration date of 12/15 and found at a store for a $1). Figured I'd give it a try.

gopens44, MacMalt, Wasatch and 4 others like this.
  39. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (6,843) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

[​IMG] So I need to thank @jzeilinger for helping knock this off my bucket list. This is my 600 reviewed beer and 900 rated beer, yes that wasn't an accident. [​IMG] Poured into my favorite glass, canned on 1/28/16. Pours a bright orange with a beautiful 2 finger head that has excellent retention and leaves behind streaks of lace as it settles into a thin film of bubbles. 5

Smell peach, mango, tangerine, pine, and grapefruit very nice. 4.5

Taste follows very well, starting with loads up tropical fruit upfront and then passing the torch to pine and grapefruit, very well balanced. 4.75

Mouthfeel is one of the largest for a DIPA I have ever had, moderate carbonation which works wonderfully, on the lush side, and 10 % ABV never seemed better hidden.[​IMG] Overall this didn't dissapoint at all. Sometimes you have high expectations and it is in possible to deliver, well not here. Everything I wanted this to be and more.[​IMG] [​IMG]

40. NotAlcoholicJustAHobby

NotAlcoholicJustAHobby Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2015 Vermont

My first NBS beer today is this Double Brown ale brewed by Clown Shoes. There is no date on the bottle, but I suspect it is past it's prime. As a side note it is no longer being brewed.

[​IMG]

Brown Angel

Clown Shoes
    American Brown Ale / 7.00% ABV

3.58/5 rDev -7.3% | Avg: 3.86
    look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

L- Pours a dark cola brown with a towering foamy 3 finger head. Lacing is copious and lasting.
    S- The nose is typical caramel malt sweetness without much hop characteristic.
    T- Caramel sweetness with a mild ashy bitter finish. Definitely a bit of oxidation going on here.
    F- The feel is light with a low prickly carbonation.
    O- This beer is probably past its prime, but still possesses some nice qualities of your typical brown ale. Nothing earth shattering.

VABA, kemoarps, NiceTaps and 38 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.