New Beer Sunday (week 576)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cavedave, Mar 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,108) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Gooood Morning all you Mug Maniacs, Stein Stalwarts, Goblet Grabbers, Chalice Choosers, Snifter Snatchers, Tulip Takers, Nonic Naturals, Teku Technicians, Flute Favorers, Stange Supporters, and Tankard Traditionalists, Happy New Beer Sunday, extra early gawd I want a beer for breakfast edition.

Another beautiful day on tap, clear skies and above freezing already, but of course that means in about an hour I am going to be at work in the middle of a recycling madhouse. Thirsty work, that, glad I have some beers in the fridge, at least one of them is a new one, Westbrook 5 Anniversary Raspberry Stout, and I am really looking forward to it. Any new beers hanging around your house looking for a thirsty mouth to refresh? If so, come join the fun!

Now is the time and this is the place. Why not pull up a chair to the virtual table and crack a new brew open with us, and tell us about it. How do you like it? Would you recommend it? What does it taste like? Remind you of any other beers? How's it smell, how's the mouthfeel, is it refreshing? What are the features you like? Or don't like?

Leave, or link, a review, or just give a nice description of the beer that tells a story, it will be appreciated by us all. And pics, the New Beer Sunday crew really enjoy pics of beer. Yes we do. Feel free to share some things about yourself, too.

As always, thanks for keeping NBS fresh, fun, and informative for 11+ years.

gopens44, LeRose, kemoarps and 49 others like this.
  2. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (5,779) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society Trader

Thank you, @cavedave, for getting NBS off to an early start.
    It's sunny and 30 this morning here in southern Maine. It should hit 40 and there's a warming trend predicted, with temperatures in the 60s midweek. Makes me start thinking of golf. Last year my course didn't open until May 1st. Should beat that easily this year.
    My wife and I are going to my mother's house today for lunch. We will once again bring up the subject of her moving down here and living with us. She's adamant about staying put, but at age 91 she's getting frailer and more forgetful. A year ago she wouldn't even discuss the issue; now she's at least willing to talk about it.

Today's beer is Arctic Saison from Grassroots Brewing, a collaboration between Hill Farmstead and Anchorage Brewing. I picked this and Arctic Soiree up at Spruce Creek Provisions, a fairly new beer store in Kittery.
    In a teku (I was feeling fancy) the beer is a pale gold/yellow color with a faint haze. There is a nice white head that leaves a bit of lace. A visually appealing beer.
    Aroma is citrus, grass, and earthy hops.
    Lots of lemon in the taste. Some peach. Earthy hops. A nice peppery finish.
    Light-bodied, dry.
    A nice change of pace from the heavier beers I had yesterday.

[​IMG]

gopens44, LeRose, kemoarps and 48 others like this.
  3. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,320) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Good morning all and once again thank you @cavedave,
    I'll be taking the day off. We have a house full of family. Let me tell you about the blueberry pancakes that Martha just made! Have fun and I'll see you soon. Cheers on a beautiful Sunday.

kemoarps, LeperJim, MacMalt and 10 others like this.
  4. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Good morning everyone and thanks for that fantastic introduction @cavedave ! Gosh. My house is Sunday central with NBS first on my mind. I am loving the Irish Red Ale this year and Flying Dog has one that I was happy to try. It's called Lucky SOB.

Cheers and Happy New American Gimme Two More Irish Red Ale Sunday!

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Impeccable pour that really shows you the flair of the red ale. Burnished with color and glimmering with hues. Red, orange, golds, copper. Just tan head of creamy foam that lasts. Nose is biscuit & caramel. Floral and hop spice with a citric tang. Drink is smooth and malty. Creamy full malt made brisk by hops. Floral takes the middle of this beer and permeates it gently while biscuity malt glides to the finish. Clean soft carbonation. Modest bitterness that flourishes. Leaves with a light slightly nutty aftertaste and orange zest. They said it was brewed with four leaf clovers but I drank all mine and none fell out. =)

gopens44, seakayak, LeRose and 57 others like this.
  5. Sveninho12367

Sveninho12367 Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2015 Texas

First ever BA post and first ever NBS post.

West Sixth India Pale Ale - West Sixth Brewing Company - Lexington, Kentucky
    7.0% ABV - 80 IBUs
    There is a code stamped but I can't figure it out. I have on good word it's fresh so I'm not too worried.

Appearance: Hazy, orange-amber. 1.5-2 finger of soapy white head, dissipates for the most part but still sticks around a bit. Very nice lacing throughout.

Aroma: It doesn't smell like 80 IBUs but it is still fairly hoppy. A fair amount of tropical fruits and bready malt backbone for a nice even-smelling ale.

Taste - A big smack of bitter hops which transition into a fairly smoother, fruitier palate. Significant mango, grapefruit, lemon, but not overpowering. A malt backbone that is present but doesn't get in the way of the hops at all. A very dry finish with a small but noticeable alcohol presence.

Mouthfeel - Medium and a bit oily but finishes dry in the end.

Overall - A nice IPA from a smaller brewery that is balanced and flavorful although when fresh you do get a twinge of that 7.0% ABV. A good brew that I would get again if priced at around $9 a sixer. 87/100.

Sorry for no picture but unfortunately I can't figure out how to get it on here. A quick google should give you a good picture.

gopens44, LeRose, kemoarps and 46 others like this.
  6. dee4maine

dee4maine Initiate (0) Jun 3, 2015 Maine

Good morning dear NBSers!! Great start by cavedave! Am popping my NBS cherry today. Thankfully feel quite at home here since this is my favorite thread on BA (followed by WBAYDN). Still up in the county of Maine. Headed back to civilization today. Decided to bring something special for this trip (learnt bitterly my first trip that craft beer county this is NOT) and what better coincidence than to have another collaboration beer.
    Siren craft brewing (England) and Cigar city came out with the Caribbean Chocolate Cake: 7.4% ABV Imperial stout (they used to call it a "tropical"stout earlier but have left out that adjective this time, rightfully so) Ale with cacao nibs, lactose and aged on Cypress wood!
    Opened a 12 oz bottle with my faithful Swiss Army knife and poured into my only little Bissell snifter I dragged along.
    Looks: jet obsidian black, viscous and gets a wonderful finger and a half tan head which lingers a tad. Average lacing on this.
    Aromas: upfront I get this sweet sweet dark chocolate fudge notes. Very little hint of coffee. Brownie batter, dark malt milkshakes oh wow. Total desert beer.
    Taste: bringing the first sip in, hits me with sweet and dark chocolate, feel the lactose loaded to hilt, again very faint coffee and very faint roasty notes. Did not get any spices. Cypress certainly leaves it's unique mark (it was surely nothing like what oak does) almost a faint smokey woodsy flavor.
    Cake it is!! Wish it was less sweeter since I am a lover of dark chocolate.
    Mouthfeel: Rich luscious and silky. No complaints here. No booze or heat thanks to the restrained ABV.
    Overall: great imperial stout with unique feel thanks to cypress. I do feel that calling it dark chocolate cake for sweet toothed folks is more appropriate than Caribbean chocolate cake. As always, I love the European versions of RIS because they always end up feeling very different than a lot of the bourbon BA versions we have here in US. (I love those too and bourbon too)
    And as always dear friends "Life is short, eat desert (drink craft beer) first"
    Cheers!
    [​IMG]

gopens44, LeRose, kemoarps and 47 others like this.
  7. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (6,112) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Welcome, and you chose a good thread to start with. Nice review. Pictures involve a photo hosting site (photobucket and imgur are two examples). Its not too hard, and there is advice abound if you want to try. Most of us love good, honest pics from other BAs. Cheers!

kemoarps, MacMalt, 2beerdogs and 5 others like this.
  8. cjgiant

Society

Welcome to NBS. Figured you might fit right in here reading your WBAYDN posts. Back to back inaugural posts! I'm sorry I broke the streak.

kemoarps, 2beerdogs, cavedave and 3 others like this.
  9. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

[​IMG]
    Plenty of shenanigans this weekend, including a lot of Ballast Point. I drank Big Eye and The Commodore yesterday with great results. This morning I'm finally trying one of the beers I always see on WBAYDN and always wanted to try. I'll tell you right now that next Sunday I will be trying Watermelon Dorado for no other reason than everyone seems to hate it and I love watermelon beers, so it will be interesting how I feel about that one.

Yesterday's vinyl-inspired WBAYDN was awesome. It's the themed days that I love about this community and I can't wait for the next event:slight_smile: Ok, this beer isn't going to describe itself so I better get started:

Look: Midnight black (dirty motor oil is jealous) with some brown hues on the edges when held up to a light source. The head is a very dark shade of cream, a milky tan that forgot to put on sunscreen. There is little or no lacing. I realize that a shaker pint may not be the best glass of choice but I couldn't resist using the Ballast Point shaker.

Aroma: Really really roasted and toasted malts and coffee beans. There is a perfect touch of vanilla and even some dark chocolate.

Taste: Just like the aroma, the beer starts out with plenty of charred ingredients. Vanilla once again is not overpowering, it's a perfect compliment to the rest of the beer. Coffee and dark chocolate come in before a tangy, sharp bitter hop finish.

Mouthfeel: For 10% ABV this is very smooth.

Overall: The finish is so tangy that I don't know what to make of it, it definitely leaves a sharp aftertaste. Otherwise, this is a strong, tasty porter that goes down the hatch pretty easily. Cheers!

Jacobier10, gopens44, LeRose and 40 others like this.
  10. Sveninho12367

[​IMG]

11. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (6,843) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

[​IMG] [​IMG] I have been salivating for awhile over this one and my favorite store finally received it on Friday. Poured into my favorite long stim tulip glass bottled on 1/15/16 and 9.2% ABV.[​IMG] [​IMG] Poured slowly down the center at almost room temperature and got a beautiful 3 finger mocha head, that took 5 minutes to settle into a nice film of brown bubbles and covering the sides with lace. I have seen very few stouts more attractive, striking. 5[​IMG]

Smell is roasty dark chocolate and expresso, oats, vanilla, bailey's Irish Cream, vanilla bean, oak, and some faint booze. Good lord, wow! 5

Taste just assaults your taste buds with strong dark chocolate, roasty expresso, toffee, vanilla bean, oats, and it feels like the alcohol tastes like Bailey's Irish Cream. This is very tasty. 5

Mouthfeel is on the large side, creamy some how, moderate carbonation and I am not complaining it works perfectly, a little dry as I would expect from a beer like this, and the drinkability is insane! 5

Overall this beer literally blows me away, Expresso Yeti is the only beer it really reminds me of, so rich, roasty, bold, beautiful, thick, and, amazing drinkability! 5 I can't think of anything I would change.[​IMG]

#11 SawDog505, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  12. Prager62

Prager62 Poo-Bah (2,385) May 7, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

The pic isn't showing. Which image hosting site are you using? I use my iPhone exclusively and find Tinypic the easiest as it's all done through your keyboards.

smanson56 and MichPaul like this.
  13. cjgiant

Society

Try selecting the "image embed" icon atop the reply UI, it looks like a mountain with a sun or moon. Paste that image URL into the dialog that pops up, and see if that helps. If you are using the BA app on a phone/tablet, I am not sure if it's as obvious or possible.

Here it is when I did it:
    [​IMG]

gopens44, kemoarps, larryi86 and 9 others like this.
  14. RonaldTheriot

RonaldTheriot Poo-Bah (4,144) Aug 11, 2008 Louisiana
    Society

[​IMG]
    11% alcohol. 81 IBU. Introduced in 2010. Brewed in Illinois by Destihl.

4.9/5 rDev +14%
    look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

Destihl Cerise Stout Imperiale has an extremely thick, beige head, a dark brown, almost black, appearance, and very heavy lacing left on the glass. The aroma is of sharp, tart, fruity cherry juice, dark-roasted malt, and a bit of coffee. Taste is of those elements, along with coffee, chocolate fudge, dark, slightly-charred brown bread toast, high, pleasant bitterness, Bourbon, wood, and peat. Mouthfeel is thick and velvety, and Destihl Cerise Stout Imperiale finishes dry and not boozy (but, you'll feel it!).

RJT

15. Sveninho12367

[​IMG]

gopens44, kemoarps, MacMalt and 19 others like this.
  16. Sveninho12367

Alright, its sideways but I finally got it. Thank you all!

17. Sveninho12367

Thank you I'll make note of that. I'm using a laptop at the moment. I'll give it another shot next Sunday!

kemoarps, smanson56 and cjgiant like this.
  18. lordofthewiens

Society Trader

Welcome to the club!

kemoarps and smanson56 like this.
  19. lordofthewiens

Society Trader

Great first review. I am always jealous of people who can write well.

20. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,824) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Do you like it in the can!?! Part Deaux

A few Sunday’s ago I discussed my first can of Tired Hands beer: HopHands.

This week I will discuss the second brand of Tired Hands beer that I acquired via trading some of my homebrewed beers and it is D2H3: Mosaic. How is that for a name? D2H3 sounds like it could be a robot in a Star Wars movie.

On the can label it lists: "D2H3: Mosaic is our double dry hopped house APA. This iteration features heavy amounts of Mosaic. Intense, pungent, and undeniably crushable. The beer in this can is hyper fresh, unfiltered and fragile. Enjoy the contents ASAP for a beautiful and befuddling organoleptic experience."

From the Tired Hands website they also provide a description:

“D2H3 Mosaic:

Our Double Dry Hopped American Pale Ale. 5.5%. The same HopHands we all know and love, just DOUBLE DRY HOPPED with heavy amounts of Mosaic. Dank.

-Notes of intense grassy stuff, grapefruit pulp, citrus peel, dewy pine, and pineapple.”

Both descriptions read tasty to me.

Served in my Lucifer goblet::

Appearance:

The color is straw/yellow color with a hazy appearance. It has a one finger head which dissipates rather quickly.

Aroma:

An intriguing combination of hop aromas: I pick up mostly tropical fruit but there is some non-tropical fruity as well. In the background there is a bit of dank as well.

Taste:

The flavor follows the nose with tropical fruit being the most dominant flavor for may palate but some fruity with a bit of dank. Nothing to remark about the malt other than to say it provides balance to the hops. Low-Moderate bitterness.

Mouthfeel:

Medium bodied with a pleasant carbonation level.

Overall:

I think this beer is very good. It has a quality that some BAs would term as ‘juicy’.

Cheers to Tired Hands for a tasty part deaux!!

@rotsaruch

[​IMG]

21. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (4,246) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

New Coffee Stout Sunday

[​IMG]

Terrapin Single Origin Coffee Stout - Hawaii/Kona

It's been a good weekend for beer. Went out for dinner Friday and tried a couple outstanding HF offerings that were new to me, followed by a nice BA coffee stout for desert. Then tried Pliny the Younger for the first time yesterday, which lived up to the hype, as well as a new one from Tired Hands. Then I finally found the Terrapin coffee sampler 4-pack I've been looking for since first seeing the thread about it on this site.

Decided to go with them in the order I pull them out of the holder, and first up is Kona, which happens to be my favorite type of coffee.

It pours a lovely black coffee color with a half-finger of brown tinted head. Creamed coffee aroma reminiscent of WnB, with fruity peaberry-esque notes, some brownie-batter chocolate and a little more roasted malts as it warms.

Much thiner bodied than I was expecting, with more carbonation than I'd like for the style. On the one hand, it does allow subtleties in the coffee to show more prominently. On the other, this beer would be phenomenal with a bit more heft to it. Honestly, I'm so used to imperial stouts these days, a regular stout is leaving me wanting more -- at least at first.

As I sip it more, I'm coming to appreciate it more for what it is. The fruity notes in the coffee really are outstanding, and play off well against the chocolate and roasted malt flavors. The cream in the nose is really starting to take a backseat, too.

I'm digging it, and looking forward to trying the others. I heard a couple are even better, and can't wait to put that to the test.

#21 thebeers, Mar 6, 2016
  22. Gemini6

Gemini6 Devotee (495) Oct 5, 2013 Michigan

Happy New Stone Beer Sunday!

Stone Americano Stout
    [​IMG]
    Bottled 2/1/16

I am a huge fan of Americanos, and a huge fan of stout, so naturally I was excited for this release. The aroma is bursting with brightness, like coffee ground seconds ago with a bit of a citrus zest note presumably from the hops (this is a Stone beer, after all). The flavor is much of those same bright notes from the aroma. There is enough roasted malt sweetness to remind you it is in fact a stout, but it still takes a back seat to the coffee beans here and there is definitely no "sugar" in this Americano. It does a good job of capturing the strong espresso flavors, that can sometimes come across as acidic and citric, in a good Americano. While I usually prefer my stouts with a rather dense texture, this one remains medium in body, although it works well by keeping the Americano vibe with a little crispness to the finish that compliments the hops that dry it out in the end. Overall, I really enjoyed this one and I am glad to see it as a seasonal release AND in 6-packs.

4.2/5

Cheers, NBS!

LeperJim, gopens44, LeRose and 38 others like this.
  23. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (5,462) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Southern Tier DIPA 2XSMASH, a single malt and single hop ale ("SMASH") featuring Mosaic hops and "Special Pale Malt." Maybe I started drinking it too cold, because it took a while for my tongue to really wrap around it, or maybe the malt was so clearly expressed that it interacted with the hops in a way I'd not encountered before? It took me a bit to warm up to the beer. I was at first underwhelmed...
    [​IMG]
    I'm not a big Southern Tier fan necessarily - I consider 'em like a 3.75-kinda brewery, but I am of the rarer sort that does not like the imperial stout line (Choklat, etc.) that garners them much praise (too "densely" sweet :astonished:? for me). But Pumpking is actually a favorite and longstandingly (<--:confused:?) so - but I hear lots of people not liking Pumking, soI get it. I've actually lost some enthusiasm for it past coupla years... :slight_frown:

Anyway :rolling_eyes:
    [​IMG]
    Turns out this is a nice beer. I had high expectations because, DIPA - and - Mosaic... :sunglasses: I enjoy Citra most reliably in beer, but Mosaic has been right there, too, so I had a certain anticipation with the beer.

Aromas were sweetly fruity, some citrus but generally tropical. A solid medium-body malt backbone was right there with the hops on the tongue. Grain and biscuit, honeyed and herbal, carried an amalgam of grapefruit pith and dark orange across the tongue. Bitterness cloaked the tongue well-enough and left a lingering finish. Little bit of piney tack left behind. Overall, a nice beer, even if not my favorite featuring the Mosaic hop.

Having another one tho' :stuck_out_tongue:
    [​IMG]
    Cheers :grinning:

#23 Greywulfken, Mar 6, 2016
  24. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (14,962) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

There are many methods to post pictures on BA, but I use free Dropbox. I have the Dropbox app on my Android phone, should also be available on Iphone - and installed on my laptop. I take a picture on my phone, and in my phone app I can choose to share or send, and one of the choices is Dropbox. When selected, Dropbox has you choose the directory, I select public and hit OK. Then I go on my laptop (can take a minute for the picture to show up but usually instant), optionally edit the picture (using Photoscape, Gimp, or Photoshop) to be lower resolution (1200x1600) and rotate/frame/edit as needed, then in file explorer (or the Dropbox app) right click and use the copy public link option. Then when you post on BA, insert a picture by choosing the image icon (mountains) and paste the link. Sounds complicated but really not. I can have it posted within a couple of minutes after taking the picture.

kemoarps and utopiajane like this.
  25. SerialTicker

SerialTicker Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2012 Michigan

Greetings, BA! I don't often get to post here, but I am today!

[​IMG] +[​IMG]

I'm breaking some rules, as I've had both the Blueberry Pancake Milkshake Stout and We Be Jammin' on their own, but I'm about to add the two together today to see how it will work out. I feel like the We Be Jammin' could especially benefit, seeing as how it's pretty lacking in terms of berry flavor.

Not bad at all. Mixing the two mostly creates a nutty berry pancake flavor. The aroma is still like the BPMS, but the taste has a lot of peanuts on the front end. The finish is a lot like the BPMS, but with a little extra tartness from the raspberry in the WBJ. I'd say it was a good call on my part to add the two.

Cheers!

gopens44, kemoarps, larryi86 and 17 others like this.
  26. do_ob

do_ob Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2015 Kentucky

Good morning NBSers! And what an early, groggy one it was. Whoof. The wife and I spent a much needed evening/night with some good friends last night, and before we knew it, the kids were asleep and it was 0200. It was good, though. I haven't laughed that much in ages. Anyhow, about this beer, I had full intentions of drinking this guy Thursday when I bought it, but somehow didn't have the time to sit down and enjoy a bomber to myself until this morning. No complaints, though, as getting to post this one on NBS was worth the wait. Cheers!

Da Beer

Three Floyds Wigsplitter
    Oatmeal/Coffee Stout, 7.7% ABV

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Da Re...view

Bomber dated 2-18-16 poured into a Madtree snifter. Dark brown on the pour, and settles as an opaque, pitch black in the glass. About a finger of khaki-colored foam on top. Good retention, and lots of big bubbles in there. Nice aroma of expresso, baker's chocolate, bitter oats, and lactose. I also pick up some hints of vanilla and caramel in there as well. On the taste, strong notes of expresso, roasty chocolate, and lactose with backing flavors such as vanilla, oats, hops, and spice. Not overly complex, but very tasty indeed. Finishes dry and leaves bittersweet (moreso bitter) chocolate/coffee/hops on the aftertaste. In terms of the feel, this one diappointed me initially, as it was rather thin. After sipping on it for about 10 minutes now, it's either grown on me or gotten more dense as it warmed up.

Overall, a very, very good beer. There's not much to say in terms of what I did not like. Maybe it was a bit too hoppy for my taste, for the style, but what can you do with a Three Floyds beer that ISN'T over-hopped? So no complaints there.

Just gotta throw this in, my glass is almost empty and this sumbitch still has a pretty fair lacing on top, especially 'round the edges. It gets a 5 on looks for its resiliency! Viva la carbonation!

Da Scores

look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4
    Weighted Score: 4.09/5 (-5.5% rDev)

27. Beersnob724

Beersnob724 Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2016 Ohio

Got this as an extra in a trade. I loved it. It was delicious.

do_ob likes this.
  28. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,423) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

Good morning all.

Already smoked some chicken to put into my white chicken chili for an all day smolder in the crock pot. Now we'll just have to suffer through the good smell all day.

[​IMG]

First up is 8 Maids-a-Milking from The Bruery.

Meant to get to this on the actual 8th day of Christmas (New Year's Day) but tournament plans derailed that opportunity. So we'll drink it now.

[​IMG]

Deep, dark body with a massive beige head that I really couldn't tame while pouring, but it dwindled to a thin layer soon enough with very little lacing at all.

Nose starts out with overwhelming Belgian yeast character but the longer I inhale, the more that the taste fades into more crackery, maybe biscuity until it finally settles in with, of all things, that corny Coors or Miller Light smell. That's not great I guess.

Taste is fairly vinous first and foremost. Press forward and we get a touch of fruit, like plums perhaps, before that corny thing creeps in.

Despite having a pretty silky feel, this thing is wildly dry on finish, leaving behind a touch of heat in the throat.

Not one I'd recommend as it's a bit messy and nowhere near worth what I paid for it. I could very well be done with Bruery products.

29. Beersnob724

Beersnob724 Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2016 Ohio

Try this, get a Sweet Baby Jesus , and a Strawberry Abita ..........thank me later.

bbtkd likes this.
  30. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

Jack, I had my first Tired Hands experience last week in NYC and I was highly impressed. Hop Hands was great and I was actually surprised by the ratings it has on here as I thought for sure they would be higher. The other beer I had was Punge and that one was superb. Wow. I highly recommend that if you haven't had it.

utopiajane, JackHorzempa and cjgiant like this.
  31. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

Good stuff on here so far, NBSers.

I was running around all last Sunday in NYC and didn't get to post my beers or the places I visited. Wish I could have shared that. Also, it would have been fun to run into @richj1970 while we were both in Queens during New Beer Sunday. Beer would have been on me.

Anyhow, from NYC I returned to New Mexico, spent a day with the flu, then jumped in a car with friends and drove up to Aspen for the weekend to visit Casey Brewing in Glenwood Springs yesterday. Pretty beered out. Buuuut, I think I can crack one beer today for NBS. Will have to assess the fridge situation. Will be back later no matter what for the good reads.

Thanks to the ambassadors @cavedave and @utopiajane for always getting the ball rolling with this great thread.

gopens44, kemoarps, aoampm and 12 others like this.
  32. HectorB

HectorB Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2013 New York

Hello to NBS!

My new beer for the day is Meyer Lemon Lager from Anchor Brewing out in San Fran. This beer comes in a bright and colorful 12 oz can - big shift in art style from the old-timely designs you usually see from Anchor.

This beer pours a clear gold into my trusty beer glass, with a three-finger white head. The nose is fresh and lemony, but nothing overpowering. The taste is clean, zesty and crisp. Lemon predominates but again, not overdone; tastes real and not artificial. Finishes bitter, almost like a light pils.

This is a tasty and refreshing lager, great with lunch or on a hot afternoon, with a modest 4.5 A.B.V. Well done, Anchor!

Cheers!

SABERG, cavedave, gopens44 and 21 others like this.
  33. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (10,026) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Greetings Fellow NBSers! Just a quick morning note for those involved in NBS BIF#3, Lehigh has the pairings done, and we'll be getting them out as soon as we can. Prepare to represent your beer area all across the land!!!

34. JamesStreet

JamesStreet Meyvn (1,026) May 9, 2013 Louisiana

Good morning BAs. Been so busy with trekking all over the South for work lately, I haven't even had time to taste any beers lately. I even had the new batch of Ghost in the Machine dropped off yesterday and it is still unopened....LIFE, I guess?

This morning I will be reviewing another 3 Floyd's metal collaborations. Hopped in Half - an American Pale Lager brewed with their buds from the band Obituary. Let me preface this review, although not biased at all, by saying I've been an Obituary fan since ~1990-ish. They have always been on my bucket list of bands to see live AND I will finally be ticking that off the list next week when they play with Cannibal Corpse (another 3 Floyd's collab recently) !

Now to the beer:
    I poured this 22oz bomober into a my nonic pint glass. The bottle was dated 2/9/16
    L: 4.25; This one pours a orange-tinted straw color. Very clear with little to no haze. Big, billowing frothy 2 fingers + sized head. Lingers for a while then settles into a small ring around the top of the liquid. Pretty good amount of lace down the glass as well.

[​IMG]

S: 4; The smell on this one is bread, some spice, doughy yeast and a hint of citrus with a slight bit more pronounced "modern" hop aroma for this style. Also picking up some notes of banana. Close to your typical pils but I think with a bit more untraditional hops for this one.

T: 4; Some malty sweetness up front while the bready, cracker-like cereal flavors, along with the notes of citrusy lemon, grassiness and spice come through.

M: 4.25; Feel is lighter side of medium with but with a good creamy feel as well. Picking up more citrus notes now. Very crisp and clean feel; like it should be. Super easy to finish.

O: 4; This would seem to be a break from the norm for 3F since this is more on the tame side at only 5.7% abv but this one is done very nicely. I must say, I could easily see myself going through a couple of bombers per sitting. An excellent representation of style with a signature 3F twist to it. Well Done!

My rating comes out with a 4.04. And now some Chopped in Half. by the band Obituary

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NQgCZasm6mU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

35. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (8,420) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

Hey what's going on?!

I finally got my planters all set and I just need some warm weather and sun. Seems totally overcast and a bit cold this weekend, but we should be warming up this week nicely.. really looking forward to it too, gotta get the bike out and start riding (and probably working off that gut of mine! ahem!).

Isn't it odd that while I've planted lots of heirlooms, herbs, and peppers, the seed company just gave me a package of cabbage as a freebie (nice gesture!), and that's the only thing right now that I know for a fact is ACTUALLY growing... something I didn't even order :wink: how messed up is that? But it's early, patience has never been my strength and I need this as a good learning experience!

Speaking of growing stuff.. I am doing it.. I am gonna pull the trigger and try to grow some hops this year. Cascade is going to be the variety I think, as we will go for the basics. This should be one interesting experiment as well! I will certainly let you know how well (or not) that goes.

That being said I have MUCH new beer today... oh man so excited too, I got so much variety and little finds that it's all very exciting! Multiple styles, different countries, some local stuff! it's like the UN in my beer fridge such a happy party in there!!

So what's up first...?? well let's see so much to choose from... but..

VIVE LA FRANCE!!!

[​IMG]
    Brasserie Sancerroise - La Sancerroise au Gruyt
    by imbibehour, on Flickr

--------------------------------------

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass. OOOPS you didn't check bottle dates but hey it's a Gruit… let's see here… Best if consumed by May 2010, oh boy but hey it's in the cold case. Sure why not!

Deep mahogany body, with a bit of rusted tan color to it. Good decant does well, but some floaties manage to still show up not unexpected. A nice real creamy tan head, almost chocolate like shows up in color, but descends easily to a simple thin puck, but good collar as well. This is a good looking for an old brew.

Lots of sugar and sweet herbs on the nose, but a dominant fussel alcohol manages to show up almost in a sweet malt liquor vein kind of way. Hints of thyme and sticky tree syrup with large sweetness. Brown sugar, garden herbs, and some noticeable sweet boozy qualities. Kind of interesting angle, as it hints to a sort of strong ale quality but with large herbal sweetness and sugars.

Quite an odd duck for this brew even in a gruit realm. First sip has a real decent backbone that is thick, but the flavors almost come out with a very unusual almost thick prune juice flavor. Sweet mid palate with a mix of sort of prune to caramel malt and brown ale quality. Real interesting an unexpected aftertaste, more booze, but also some green mint, herbal sage and soft tea tannic dryness as well. Noticeably warm but not horrible, but the herbality really accents some of the pruney sweetness much more nicely and starts to dominate with lots of different character.

Gruits are always fun once in awhile, and this one at first was a bit off putting but actually get more enjoyable as I drink it. Lots to explore here. I am having fun with this, and this has held up remarkably well too.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75 | BA Final Generated Score: 3.69

---------------------------------

LeperJim, Jacobier10, SABERG and 38 others like this.
  36. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Poo-Bah (2,686) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Nice review! That's exactly what I thought about that beer. Especially the warm/cold thing. Beer was much more expressive as it warmed....

37. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,423) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

Next up we have Einbecher Doppelbock

[​IMG]

For starters, we have one of the most picturesque heads I've ever seen. Thick, luxurious off white head that creeps down to a thin layer supported by committed lacing. Body is crystal clear deep ruby orange, if that's a color.

Nose carries massive caramel and a touch of biscuit.

Taste follows suit to a tee. Fat, sweet caramel that's backed up by the same thick, doughy biscuit.

Finished a bit slick, fairly dry but throughout it's scarily drinkable with its deceivingly thin body.

Always curious why German beer doesn't get more run here. Phenomenal as expected.

LeperJim, kemoarps, LeRose and 30 others like this.
  38. MichPaul

MichPaul Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2012 Michigan

Is this a free app? I've only posted pics from my laptop as I find photobucket very arduous... I have an iPhone 6 and would love to find an easier way to post on BA. Might have to try this!

jvgoor3786, Prager62 and smanson56 like this.
  39. NiceTaps

NiceTaps Poo-Bah (1,981) Nov 21, 2011 New Jersey
    Society Trader

New Session IPA Sunday...

...and a good one it is! Greetings from a chilly and overcast day here at the Jersey Shore. I'm starting "light" and early before heading out for a beer garden lunch (which should include more new beer) and then some blues music in Asbury Park. After spending yesterday in Red Bank with my wife, a dose of the blues is in order. :flushed: First, the beer: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/273/213448/?ba=NiceTaps

[​IMG]

How about that very cool bar coaster?!?:stuck_out_tongue:

All the best!

LeperJim, gopens44, kemoarps and 25 others like this.
  40. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,824) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Most of the discussion on BA concerning Tired Hands is their hoppy beers which I suppose should not be surprising. Tired Hands also make non-hoppy beers as well. I am a fan of the various Saison beers they make as a point of example. The beer of Saison Hands is always available at the two Tired Hands brewpubs. One beer that I thought was masterful was a Berliner Weisse that was brewed using lychee. The owner/brewer of Tired Hands is Jean Broillet and he is a talented brewer that exercises a deft hand in his brewing processes.

Cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.