New Beer Sunday (week 578)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cavedave, Mar 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,108) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Gooood Morning all you Alesmith Aspirers, Ballast Point Backpackers, Chimay Choosers, Duvel Desirers, Einbecher Exciters, Fuller's Freaks, and Green Flash Graspers, Happy New Beer Sunday, extra early another storm likely gonna miss us edition.

Thankfully yesterday wasn't the zoo at work it has been lately, and I even had a chance to sit down to eat some lunch (I don't get a break, my day is determined completely by customers) and crack a beer (a benefit of what I do for work haha). Hopefully today will be the same. Only thing can spoil things is if the strorm that is predicted now to barely glance us changes its track and dumps some snow. Already looking forward to opening after work a highly rated new beer I have successfully ignored in fridge all week.

How 'bout y'all? Got a new beer you're dying to try? Now is the time and this is the place. Why not pull up a chair to the virtual table and crack a new brew open with us, and tell us about it. How do you like it? Would you recommend it? What does it taste like? Remind you of any other beers? How's it smell, how's the mouthfeel, is it refreshing? What are the features you like? Or don't like? Have fun with diggin' what your beer's all about.

Leave, or link, a review, or just give a nice description, all of us will appreciate it for sure. And pics, the New Beer Sunday crew really enjoy pics of beer. Feel free to share some things about yourself, too.

As always, thanks for keeping NBS fresh, fun, and informative for 11+ years.

2. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Good morning @cavedave and BA and what a great start to this New Beer Sunday. I have been going at it for the cause this week drinking up my case of troges spring seasonals. They have perpetual IPA, hopback amber, cultivator, and their french style saison in the case. Lovely! I was just looking at WBAYDN from yesterday and there were lots of saisons. I have a saison today. Troeg's Saison went well with my prosciutto panino with fresh oregano leaves, it also went well as I was making stock from my duck I boned, and today I will have it with my confit of duck legs once that's done cooking.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Pours hazy and very pale yellow. In indirect light you will see a slight apricot blush. Head is fizzy and bone white. It falls fast to a thin ring and cap with a lovely film to cover the in between. A perfect stream of effervescence rises from the center.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The beer smells like a fresh field. Sweet grasses and floral. The light scent of tart lemon with a bit of sweet peel. Spice and herbal pepper. The herbal on this nose is stemmy and a bit sweet. There is a dry and airy funk on the nose that I think is lovely. Taste is excellent. This beer greets you with a soft exhalation of light powdery sweetness then a creamy malt rolls through to envelop the palate. Light lemon with a light tartness, earthy sweet peel, that little bit of sweaty funk. The herbal is sultry throughout the beer but never steps very far forward and the lightness is upheld in the crisp dry finish. Hops allow a touch of bitterness to flourish gently while the palate dries out. The distinct lemon flavor resonates.

This is lovely. Light well defined flavors.

Happy New Saison Sunday!

[​IMG]

Loan Me a Dime

VABA, kemoarps, woemad and 71 others like this.
  3. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Thanks for doing the Scratch beer from that variety pack, I've been wondering about how it tasted, etc.

(But I wasn't going to buy that variety pack just to try one new beer while there's half of my annual case of Cultivator still waiting in the basement and Sunshine Pils showing up next month. :slight_smile:)

kemoarps, MacMalt, 2beerdogs and 7 others like this.
  4. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (7,319) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Moderator Society Trader

Good morning Dave, and the rest of the New Beer Sunday friends and faithful.

Today, I've got a brew from the very new Frost Beer Works in Vermont. This is Heavy Imperial Stout, an 8% offering, and I am fortunate enough to post only the second review.

[​IMG]

At 8%, this brew really straddles the line between stout and imperial stout. So many of the big stouts we love on this forum (Fidy, Speedway, FIS, anything by Evil Twin) are 10% and up. Still, we shouldn't necessarily adjust our baseline simply because of the prevalence of huge beers; 8% is still a hefty brew.

I think being a tweener is the first criticism I have; the mouthfeel is smooth and easy, but I want more heft when I think "Imperial." The body is just a touch too light.

OK, OK, how does it taste? Pretty darn good, it turns out. For my palate, I might think of it more as an imperial dry Irish stout: it's quite bitter, with a generous hop load, very dry, with a nutty, slightly ashy char to it. Plenty of dry cocoa as well.

I'm glad I got this brew in the mail the other day, and even more glad I've got something else to try out from Frost. Later tonight, I'll see how they handle pale ales.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/39297/207463/?ba=Roguer
    3.95 / -2.9%

The other reviewer was slightly more generous than I, but after I finished my review, I checked his out, and was pleased to see that we thought much the same of the beer - especially on flavor and feel. I think the biggest difference is that I'm not particularly fond of nutty flavors in my stouts, and ashy char can turn me off fairly quickly, too. I don't think these are off flavors in the beer, so others might very well be quite impressed with this brew.

Cheers!

kemoarps, woemad, superspak and 53 others like this.
  5. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (6,843) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

[​IMG] [​IMG] Poured slowly down the center at close to room temperature and got a rather robust 2 plus finger head, that left some attractive lace behind.[​IMG] It took about 6 minutes to settle into a nice kaki layer of film, pouring a very dark mahogany. 4.5[​IMG] Smell is very complex first thing that hits you is dark chocolate, vanilla, leather, roasty coffee, french toast, charcoal, toffee, and a tiny kiss of bourbon. 4.25

Taste follows perfectly I hate to repeat myself. Starts with a beautiful blend of vanilla and dark chocolate up front, then comes leather, charcoal, and finishes with coffee grounds, french toast, toffee, and a nice subtle hit of warming bourbon. 4.5

Mouthfeel is less than medium, but it works out fine, moderate to lite carbonation, not as dry as you would expect considering what it is, and the drinkability is way too easy for such a complex and layered beer.

Overall I am not used to drinking barrel aged beers with such a low amount of alcohol, but it definitely drinks bigger than its 6.5% ABV. This is a very nice barrel aged porter. 4.5[​IMG]

kemoarps, woemad, jvgoor3786 and 57 others like this.
  6. RonaldTheriot

RonaldTheriot Poo-Bah (4,144) Aug 11, 2008 Louisiana
    Society

[​IMG]
    Hacker-Pschorr Munich Gold. 5.5% alcohol. 23 IBU. First exported to America in 1865.

4.21/5 rDev +13.2%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Hacker Pschorr Munich Gold has a thick, slightly off-white head, a clear, very bubbly, gold appearance, and fairly heavy lacing left behind. The aroma is of honey malt, sweet biscuit, and grassy hop oils. Taste is of sweet malt, biscuit, honey, grass, and low-level bitterness. Mouthfeel is low medium, and Hacker Pschorr Munich Gold finishes smooth and crisp.

RJT

kemoarps, woemad, jvgoor3786 and 51 others like this.
  7. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (3,001) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Molto bello! And +1000 punti for the singular panino :slight_smile:. Salute!

kemoarps, woemad, TheDoctor and 9 others like this.
  8. alexk307

alexk307 Aspirant (203) Nov 7, 2013 Maryland

That duck looks amazing! I just tried my hand at cooking a duck breast last week and it was delicious. Enjoy your Sunday, Cheers!

9. Angerhaus

Angerhaus Crusader (736) Oct 1, 2015 Rhode Island
    Trader

It was a trading week in the Angerhaus house.
    [​IMG]

Hop Juju arrived via @OGFGabv The comparisons to Hopslam are warranted, but ultimately unnecessary. This citrusy treat, in my opinion, carries a more intentional balance of hop and malt than Hopslam. At the same time, if you want that stronger hop forward flavor then Hopslam might be the right choice for you. Plus, it's significantly easier to find than Juju. The mouthfeel lasts a lot longer than you might expect, and, overall, it's a dangerously drinkable beer that hides its ABV deceptively.

[​IMG]

Ghost in the Machine (GitM) came all the way to Wisconsin via New Orleans from @nola1988 (a new trader that I know people will have similarly positive experiences with). I've been wanting to try GitM for quite some time, but I've continually been the second person to ask, or, worse, found someone that had dusty old bottles. This particular bottle was bottled just 2 weeks ago, and it has that freshness to it that you usually find in tap beers. Cloudy, juicy, hoppy... I would honestly make a closer comparison between GitM and Hopslam than I would with the Hop Juju above. It has that same bitterness with just the right amount of malt to make you run your tongue around your mouth in the hopes of finding a little bit more.

All in all, great surprises this week from a couple of people that I hope become regular trade partners!

kemoarps, woemad, jvgoor3786 and 45 others like this.
  10. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (2,150) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

Howdy, NBSers!

Spring was progressing nicely down here in Central Texas, but a cold front (you Yankees might call it a “cool” front, and you’re probably right) showed up Friday and has knocked our 80s into the 60s and our 60s into the 40s. I’m not crying over it. Texas’ motto should be a reverse Winterfellian “Summer is coming.” The blast furnace will turn on soon enough.

My beer was a fun surprise. I wasn’t looking for it, but there it be, a longneck 4-pack of new saison (blackberry saison with sage) from Real Ale released in their “Brewer’s Cut” series. My fridge, frankly, was already full, but I couldn’t resist.

[​IMG]
    While the blackberry part of this beer is underwhelming, the saison part is fantastic. It has a strong musty-barn base aroma and flavor that is very Jester King-esque. The aroma even has a bit of “sour”-like finger nail polish/remover ... that note disappears quickly, but it puts an authentic farmhouse stamp on this brew. And sure enough, as it warms a borderline bitter earthy flavor takes over -- it bleeds into peaty range, it’s so earthy.

The sage showed up one time in the flavor, and it was awesome. A little more would be nice. The blackberries might be adding a little sweetness, but only two or three times did I detect a flavor that could be called "fruity". The farmhouse base rules the notes the rest of the time.

The review:
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/458/200489/?ba=Premo88
    4.34 (+12.1% rDev)

My numbers are arguably inflated, but I truly believe Real Ale cranked out an authentic American-made saison here.

Hope you got a good one in your glass!

Cheers!

kemoarps, woemad, jvgoor3786 and 49 others like this.
  11. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,824) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

White Birch DIPA

Happy first day of spring everybody!! A few days ago they were forecasting snow for my area (SEPA) but instead it will just be a cold and gray day.

I was gifted a can of White Birch DIPA from a friend and he requested that I share my impressions of this beer with him. I figured this would be a good beer for New Beer Sunday.

I have a few quick caveats to get out of the way. Firstly I have never heard of White Birch Brewing before so this will be a new experience for me. Secondly I am typically not a fan of the DIPA beer style since more often than not these sorts of beers have a cloying sweetness to them which is not particularly appealing to me. When I am in a mood for hoppy beer I generally reach for an IPA and on some occasions an APA.

I will start off with a short description of White Birch brewing to educate myself (and you folks as well). It is a small brewery in Hookett, New Hampshire started in 2009 by what appears to be a husband & wife team. I tried to find the size of the brewhouse (how many barrels) but I was not successful.

A description of the DIPA from their website:

“Double IPA

style: Double India Pale Ale
    abv: 9.2%
    color: Golden
    available: year round

Double IPA started out as a growler only release at the brewery. When word got out that we were brewing a balanced, hop forward big IPA requests for a keg or bottle came in from all corners

Pungent aromas of citrus and fruit with a smooth hop bitterness and finish balanced with a soft malt body. This deceptively smooth beer has a hop flavor that grows over the course of a glass. It’s almost too easy to enjoy. This is the beer that makes me a hop fan. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Best when fresh, this dry hopped, unfiltered beauty is not a beer for extended aging. Cheers, Bill”

Well it sure does read nice but let’s see what is in in the can.

Served in my Spiegelau IPA glass:

Appearance:

Pours a hazy orange with a very thin white head which dissipates very quickly.

Aroma:

Combination of citrus & floral hop aroma with just a tiny bit of caramel malt aroma.

Taste:

The flavor follows the nose with citrus & floral hop flavor dominating but with some caramel malt flavor as well. On the backend there is just a tiny bit of pine/resin flavor.

Mouthfeel:

Thin-medium bodied with light carbonation. Finishes dry.

Overall:

A pleasant DIPA. Surprisingly at 9.2% ABV there is no alcohol flavor perceptible. There is a bit of sweetness but the beer was by no means cloying to my palate.

A disappointment for me is that there is no dates on this can (e.g., a canned on date). I personally would not purchase this beer without a date.

Cheers!

@KOP_Beer_OUtlet

[​IMG]

kemoarps, woemad, jvgoor3786 and 51 others like this.
  12. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (5,108) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Good morning New BSers! The sun is starting to fry its way through the clouds here in NW PA and another day continues to begin. Mrs Lizard and I returned from a beer run to Weyerbacher, Victory, Stoudt's, and Interstate Liquors last night, late but not as late as when we got back from the Texas beer run last Monday (0200 hours). I picked up a few brews for my target on NBS BIF #3 and a few for me, and Mrs Lizard added some more quilting material to her hoard. At least I got some rest and a lot of reading done in the car while she plundered the quilt stores! So, @2beerdogs, the boxES should ship Monday - the smaller via USPS and the heavier by UPS, if all goes according to plan. Figure about a week travel time for the larger and six days for the smaller - hope the IPAs hold up. Sorry, no Hop JuJu - it came and went the week I was in Texas!

Anyway, today's new brew, sans picture, is Aztec Brewing's Noche de los Muertos, an "ale brewed with whole cinnamon sticks". Okay, if they say so.

Bomber at 42 degrees F into a hand washed and dried JK snifter, allowed to warm to 50 F.
    Aroma of roasted malt and a hint of cinnamon. Cinnamon doesn’t last entire glass.
    Head small (One cm, aggressive pour), light brown, creamy, slowly diminishing to an irregular zero to three mm partial ring and no layer
    Lacing fair – partial ring of very open curtain
    Body dark brown/black, opaque
    Flavor of roasted malt with no noticeable cinnamon. Alcohol burn present but no alcohol flavor or odor. No hops, no diacetyl.
    Palate medium, creamy, soft carbonation
    Appearance 3.75, Aroma 3.75, Flavor 4, Palate 4, Overall 3.75 Rating 3.86. Avg 3.91. rDev - 1.3%

Overall OK but not stellar.

Hopefully by next NBS I'll have my computer back and will be able to post pictures - everything's bigger in Texas, even the malware!

13. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (8,422) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

Hey what's going on!?

Sounds like another good NBS going on, I am unfortunately not going to be able to partake in any NEW beers for review today. Maybe might luck out later in the evening. It's first home game for my club today so I am off to the tailgate and beers to be had there (Bringing a Sunday Morning Stout and a bottle of The Abyss to crack).

So other than checking in a WBAYDN, I'll just be watching and drooling over beer pics with you today!

oh and on top of that I can't charge my phone (some stupid update made my cable invalid? what's up with that!)... so annoying...

anyway

Cheers! Happy first day of Spring (It's COLD!)

[​IMG]

#13 Smakawhat, Mar 20, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  14. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (10,026) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Morning fellow NBSers! I've got a couple new things, and hopefully I'll be able to check back in later with them. I just wanted to point out that NBS #3- Triple Threat, is well under way, with several participants already receiving amazing boxes of beer. I suspect you'll be seeing some of those pop up today here on NBS. And, the "official" reveal date isn't for another 3 weeks!!

I'd also like to take this opportunity to encourage some of the rest of you to participate in BIF #4 when it rolls around, likely late summer. It's a fun way to try new beers, and to share some of your local favorites with folks in other parts of the country. We tend to get clumps of folks in the Northeast, the midwest, and a few of us on the sunset side of the states. I'd like to see some of you folks from the more under-represented areas get in on the fun. Check out our Hints and Hauls thread for an idea of the shenanigans: http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/triple-threat-nbs-bif-3.388922/

Happy NBS everyone!

kemoarps, aoampm, Ozzylizard and 24 others like this.
  15. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (8,422) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

Looking GOOD!! Poultry is always my nemesis except maybe the ducks and geese... Love the healthy looking herbs you got there, I got a bunch growing this year. Crossing my fingers they turn out well.

16. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (5,780) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society Trader

Spring is here! And we might get up to 6" of snow tonight (the meteorologists keep waffling on the forecast).
    I am not letting the threat of snow keep me from enjoying the first day of spring. I just got back from putting a kid on the bus to return to school, so my wife and I are empty nesters again.
    My new beer is Arctic Soiree, an ale aged in oak tanks with brettanomyces, lime juice, and hibiscus. I had their Arctic Saison a couple weeks ago and enjoyed that.
    I poured it into a teku. I rarely use these glasses because I keep them in another spot from my usual glasses. As the saying goes "out of sight, out of mind." My immediate thought on pouring was that the color reminded me of a pink flamingo. Such a pretty color.
    Floral, funky, fruity aroma.
    The lime is quite apparent in the taste, as well as some earthiness.
    Light-bodied, on the crisp side.
    A refreshing beer!

[​IMG]

17. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (3,197) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

New NBS BIF #3 Sunday

My new collection of NC beers is courtesy of @lateralusbeer. Since I just had a Funky Buddha Last Snow yesterday, I figured this would be a good one to start with.

NoDa Brewing's Coco Loco

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    4.09/5 rDev +1%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

It is a mahogany color coming out of the can, but ends up looking mainly black. There is a nice tan foam on top, but it does not hang around too long.

So far this one is living up to it's namesake. Tons of cocoa. Like sticking your face in a bag of cocoa powder. There is some charred grains, and just a hint of coconut. It has a creamy, milk stout like sweetness to it also.

The coconut seemed to be masked by everything else in the aroma, but it shows itself in the taste.
    It still takes a back seat though. Lots of chocolate and roasted malt flavor. Sort of smokey. The more it warms, the more I get a nutty taste from it too. Like roasted almonds and even a hint of peanut butter.

Body and carbonation typical for the style. A crisp, dry finish.

If you are looking for a more coconut forward beer, you will want to try Last Snow, Death by Coconut, or Kitka. This one is more of a compliment. A good one at that. Very nice balance of flavors.

18. NiceTaps

NiceTaps Poo-Bah (1,983) Nov 21, 2011 New Jersey
    Society Trader

New American DIPA Sunday!

Greetings from The Jersey Shore, where the first day of Spring is quite winter-like. NJ weather, give it a minute or a day, it'll change. What can you do? I've been working on a couple of in-house projects this weekend, back at it early this morning so the beer break started early, too: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26749/116703/?ba=NiceTaps

[​IMG]

GOOD STUFF!
    [​IMG]

I was beer chasing, among other things, in DE and MD. I drank some other Burley Oak offerings that were very good also, but this what I'm drinking here and now!

I'll stay on the MD and Oak theme for the music of choice, then some lunch and back to work. I'll check back later to see what you're dinking.

All the best!

19. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (6,112) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Looks nice! The level of coconut you mention seems about how I remember it. Reading my review, I got more of a dark nuttiness than cocoa - but that review is a year old. I will say this is the only beer we bought other than Hop Drop 'n' Roll for the trip home.

20. JamesStreet

JamesStreet Meyvn (1,026) May 9, 2013 Louisiana

Good morning BAs. This morning I am starting off the day on the lighter (but not less flavorful) side of things with Crane Brewing's Apricot Weiss. This Berliner Weiss style brew was bottled on 12-18-15 and measures up at 4.5% abv.

[​IMG]

L: 4.5; This beer was beautiful out of the bottle and into the glass. A hazy o.j. color with the softest, tightly-packed set of white bubbles that formed about a 2 finger sized head. They were gone just as fast as they came but still a great looking pour.

[​IMG]

S: 4; Smell is lead by the apricot. More of a musty apricot, like a little past ripeness. Also picking up some barnyard notes as well has some other citrus.
    T: 4.25; A good mix of funky tartness with some fruit juiciness. Pick up the wheated malt in their to balance out the body Don't be fooled though, this beer is tart!

[​IMG]

M: 4; Feel is definitely on the light side. Your teeth definitely feel the pucker factor. Finishes with a tart bitterness and semi-dry.
    O: 4.25; This was a nice beer to start the day with. Bright, fruity, tart, bitter but yet easy to wash down.
    Avg weighted score is 4.18 which seems just about right.

21. WesMantooth

Society Trader

Yeah. I can see going either way with the prominent flavor (cocoa vs dark nuttiness) as it continues to evolve/balance itself. There is definitely coconut, but just a kiss. Most of it is in the aftertaste for me.

kemoarps, 2beerdogs, Premo88 and 2 others like this.
  22. do_ob

do_ob Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2015 Kentucky

Good morning/afternoon NBSers! Hopefully everyone is having an exceptionally great weekend. I've been fortunate enough to spend the last few days visiting family here in Florida, and I've got a couple more to go before heading back to Kentucky :slight_frown:
    I've managed to land some really great beers while here. This one was an extra from a recent trade, and my first ever offering from the elusive Funky Buddha Brewery. Cheers!

Da Beer
    Funky Buddha Nib Smuggler
    [​IMG]

Da Re...view

Bottle split between two snifters. Black bodied with dark brown hues surrounding the glass edges when held to light. A vertical pour yielded a dense lacing of mocha-colored foam, which lasted for about 2 minutes before transforming into a spotty lacing; some big bubbles still surrounding the cap's perimeter. Albeit being a bit weak, the nose is fairly pleasant. Strong notes of burnt lactose, dark roasted chocolate, raw cacao, and vanilla. There's a slightly astringent character to the smell - a very light vinegaresque aroma - that I could attribute to the Brazilian cocoa. Not entirely sure.

Pleasant tasting, although with that same astringecy as mentioned before. Beyond that, there are notes of dark chocolate, raw vanilla beans, and silky lactose. These flavors all blend together quite well, making this beer a true "chocolate" porter. Virtually no malt roastiness or hop bitterness, this one is all chocolate and vanilla. The mouthfeel is full and creamy, making this one as easy to drink as a homemade cookies and cream milkshake.

Overall, very good. I was on the fence at first, but as it warmed, it grew on me with each sip. Definitely one for those who like organic/natural sweets.

Da Scores

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4
    Weighted score: 3.95/5 rDev -3.2%

23. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (3,001) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Yeah- I got that one in NBS BIF #1, and found it the same way- just a nice drinking beer that you can have a few of, not overly saturated with flavorings. My favorite kind, actually :slight_smile:.

24. HectorB

HectorB Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2013 New York

Happy first day of Spring, NBS!

Today I'm trying Embrr, a rye porter from Ithaca Beer Co. This beer pours a dark brown with two fingers of light tan head. Hold the glass up to some Spring Adirondack sunlight, and you'll see a reddish hue.

The nose is fairly subtle, a little molasses, a little spice. Very nice flavor on the palate, good dark porter flavors, with some rye. A bit bitter on the finish, mixed with the rye. The mouthfeel is light and silky - stays on the Porter side of the porter/stout line, which I like.

Very good beer. Cheers!

25. WesMantooth

Society Trader

Yeah, I am not a cocnut junkie by any means. In fact, as good as I thought the Funky Buddha Last Snow was (and my score reflects it), I'm not sure I could have finished the bomber if I didn't split it with my brother. Just so rich. This one is just very enjoyable. As I finished it I am thinking my overall rating could easily be higher. I could turn around and drink another pounder of it for sure. Which might not be a good thing in a way:rolling_eyes:

kemoarps, LeperJim, 2beerdogs and 6 others like this.
  26. Ri0

Ri0 Poo-Bah (3,070) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society

Spring is here! A nice sunny day in WI, so I will be going for a long nature walk with the dogs this afternoon.

I went hunting for a few new beers yesterday that I had on my radar. First up is 3rd Sign Abandon All Hope (pretty good name for my NCAA bracket). This is brewed locally about 15 miles from my house.

The coconut aroma is very noticeable in a sweet way decadent way. Sweet malt with toffee and cola notes. Spice from peppers is not present in the nose. I pick up the coconut flavors right away with the base porter cola notes. A bit of light tootsie roll flavor and the spice from Pasilla peppers builds slowly and tingles, but is not hot. I think Pasilla was a good choice as it has a more mild spice. It is lighter body, yet still manages to be creamy. Carbonation is spot on. A pretty decent flavored porter with a twist.

[​IMG]

27. Ri0

Ri0 Poo-Bah (3,070) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society

I'm just going to say it. I come to NBS JUST to see what Maria is cooking up. Dang!

kemoarps, MacMalt, Premo88 and 6 others like this.
  28. laketang

laketang Poo-Bah (1,568) Mar 22, 2015 Arizona
    Society

Heretic Evil Cousin double ipa, from a 22 oz. bottle and new to me

[​IMG]

pours out straw with a white head which is rather creamy
    notes of pine like a magnum hop bitterness come through
    though I don't know what hops they used.
    piney bitterness hits with first sips.
    medium mouthfeel , nice bitterness on tongue.seems chewy.

cheers to my fellow BA's!

29. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (3,263) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Good afternoon NBS and welcome to spring 16. Thanks to @cavedave for the kick off, and to @utopiajane for the
    tormentingly delightful photos. It is wonderful to see those creations while I have breakfast! This is a day of celebration
    in our house, as my wife wishes a fond adieu to my winter facial forest until the next autumnal season.
    Today I have the pleasure of trying a variant of an old friend, Arthur from Hill Farmstead is one of my favorite offerings in general, this is a Segal Ranch cascade dry hopped version, fermented in stainless vs fouders. The character is wonderfully explored, the tartness a bit less, the raw field feeling is delightful. An exquisite variant and my New (variant) Beer this Sunday.

Cheers all

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. microbrewlover

microbrewlover Initiate (0) Oct 5, 2006 Pennsylvania

[​IMG]

This brew pours a golden straw color, somewhat transparent with a white fluffy head which dissipates fairly quickly however some of it sticks around as a collar and on top. There is surprisingly good lacing.

The smell is full of earthy, bready and cracker malts; lemon and lots of spicy hops.

The taste follows the nose with the earthy and bready malts dominating from start to finish. The cracker taste is near the end. The finish is clean and crisp with lots of spicy hops and a very slightly gritty finish at the end which reminds me of my favorite Pilsner. An altogether drinkable beer, I think I will have another.

31. laketang

Society

i'll be on the lookout for this! I love helles in the SUMMER

Premo88 and oldn00b like this.
  32. garymuchow

garymuchow Poo-Bah (3,566) Aug 31, 2001 Minnesota
    Society

New IPA Sunday
    Greetings NBSer's,
    Thanks again to @cavedave and @utopiajane for getting us started each and every Sunday.
    Here in SCMN we lost all our snow only to get a little more two evenings ago and for to be leaving here again by the end of today. March is winter here, but very much the end of winter clearly this year. Yea for us!
    Lots of prep for NBS BIF #3. I think my target has figured out the clues. Shipping may be this week or early next week for sure. Mostly packed, still thinking of some late entries.
    Today I present a solid Am IPA from Summit. They like to put hops in a very everyday and drinkable way and this one is no different.
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/467/216388/?ba=garymuchow
    [​IMG]
    I think I'll be back later with a special beer I was able to pick up in WI this weekend.

33. ONUMello

ONUMello Poo-Bah (2,599) Feb 24, 2009 Ohio
    Society

After an unseasonably warm February the first day of spring is barely above freezing on the North Coast. Almost makes me want to fly to Florida... oh wait! I can just open my first ever Cigar City beer! Thanks to some good friends who went last month and brought it back with them... I've had a couple of collaborations Cigar City has participated in that have been distributed locally but this is the first just by them.
    [​IMG]
    I like it a bit more than most but probably because the warming qualities are great for today
    3.98/5 rDev +9.3%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4
    Great tropical fruit hops, the only gripe is there is way more malt sweetness than is needed. Still enjoyable and makes me wish they distributed this way. Cheers, NBSers!

34. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (5,462) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Two new brews for the day so far...

Opened with this collaboration between Lawsons and Otter Creek/Wolavers...
    [​IMG]
    Double or Nothing maple barleywine...

Reasonable-enough barleywine, similar to the maple version of a pumpkin barleywine in that it has an earthy, almost vegetal character beneath the ample maple and malt sugars. Full-bodied, with impressions of candied fruits and hints of booze and sweet brown biscuity grains. Good, but I'm not blown away or anything.

Cleansed the old palate with warm some lobster salad sliders on toasted brioche buns...
    [​IMG]

Then came for this oak aged IPA from Barrier Brewing...
    [​IMG]
    Atypical... Almost like Rumble on steroids. A plush and soft and fruity IPA, edged with enough pine and tack to call it balanced; benefits from some dry and woodsy flavors, slipping slightly tannic notes into the mix. Medium-full bodied and amply carbonated, with plenty of bitterness for the hop headed. This I really dug, but I do enjoy most barrel aged pales, which may not be to all tastes.

Cheers, NBS...

35. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

St. Johns Irish Ale from Rinn Duin Brewing in Toms River NJ. Maris Otter and Melanoiden Crystal malts East Kent Golding hops 20 ibu and 4.9abv.
    This is the first beer I have had from this brewery. This brew is pretty much what one would expect an Irish Ale to be. St. Johns pours a nice red bronze color with a off white head. It aroma is of sweet malt but the taste and finish are dry and a hoppy kick. What this beer lacks is body. The mouthfeel is very light almost watery. That is not what ones expects from an Irish ale. IMO that's a shame because otherwise this would be a very good beer.

36. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (2,062) Apr 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

Wishing all of you NBS'ers a good day. Its a beautiful, clear sunny day here, but cold! For my first entry this week, Bedrock from Foundation Brewing in awesome Portland, ME.

[​IMG]

4.21/5 rDev +2.7%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Draft pour into snifter.

Look: Deep, dark, and creamy appearance. When held up to the light, a tiny bit passes through the edges showing a deep brown color. The head is small bubbled, creamy foam, tinted tan, settles to foamy cap with a wide ring around the glass.

Smell: Roasted malts, sweet chocolate, and bitter coffee are most noticeable on the nose. All perceivable, but none strong or outshining the other aromas.

Taste: Somewhat smoky, deep roast in the malts and coffee. The chocolate does not come through as bitter, but as a nice light balancing sweetness, which seems needed in this otherwise bitter brew.

Feel: Pretty full body for an English Porter, low end of moderate carbonation, feels right for the style.

Overall: Smooth, deep flavors. Overall a good brew. Nice balance of sweet and bitter, pretty to look at.

37. smanson56

smanson56 Crusader (793) Feb 15, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

Good afternoon to all the NBS followers and Many thanks to Dave for getting us started on this crisp clear day here in central NH. They are saying there may be some snow tonight into tomorrow but the amounts should be fairly light.
    Yesterday was our annual St. Patrick's Day bash here at the house and I was told by more than one person that this years batch of corned beef may have been my best every. I think maybe giving it an extra week in the brine this year and also going to a local grown grass fed brisket may have helped a little. The great thing is a actually ended up with left overs this year so I can enjoy a couple of sandwiches this week.
    I see the NBS BIF is in full swing and though I didn't have time for this one I'll be ready for the next round.
    Now on to the point of this great thread a New Beer for today. My new beer for this Sunday comes from Night Shift Brewing in Everett, MA and is the El Lechedor a Mexican style milk stout.
    [​IMG]
    Your Rating: 4.21
    Poured a dark black color into my snifter glass. Lots of nose cinnamon and vanilla with some chocolate overtones along with some bourbon from the barrel aging. The taste follows the nose with a nice blend of all things that were in the nose. Perhaps a little heavy on the cinnamon in the front but the overall taste is smooth and pleasant. The mouth feel is good with a low amount of carbonation. A really nice take on this type of stout and to me much better than a certain one by Stone.

Cheers to all

38. Prager62

Prager62 Poo-Bah (2,386) May 7, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

Greetings NBS fans! A partly cloudy and cool day along the southern shore, but I'm not going to be deterred from lighting up the kamado to smoke a couple of corned beefs I picked up on the cheap now that St. Patty's has passed. Going with a 16oz. can from a four pack I picked up at 18th Street yesterday called Euro Tight Pants DIPA.:grimacing: It has a canning date of 03/16/16 with no listed abv. on the label, but I believe it's 8.2%. Let's pour this tall boy in my 18th tulip for the taste!

Pours a deep gold with a reddish hue leaving a finger of quick settling white foam. A pleasing pour to the eye! Aroma is some citrus and cheesy yeast along with a hint of rye. The flavor is grapefruit, some pine and finally floral notes. There is a nice accent of rye spiciness and biscuity malt in the finish. The feel is resiny, slightly bitter with a semi dry finish.

[​IMG]

A flavorful mix of hops, malt, and a pleasant rye spiciness in a DIPA that drinks much easier than the 8.2 percent abv. A change of pace from the DIPA juice bombs and it's in a can! I like it and see myself buying another 4 pack. It would be fine by me if this became part of the rotation. A great canned offering for the kayak or trail!

Here's a peek at the corned beef and the review link below. There's one coming your way in the next box @beerloserLI . Have a great Sunday gang!

[​IMG]

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/31042/209430/?ba=Prager62

VABA, kemoarps, jvgoor3786 and 41 others like this.
  39. laketang

Society

i'm such a boozer! just finished a dipa, but have to give you BA's these smoked rib pics, so opened up another Cal. dipa
    my wife muled home for me (she's so sweet)
    ribs rubbed and refered for 24 hrs. now will smoke minion method 6 hours, then more pics!
    this beer here is hoppier than previous one I posted,copper color
    more floral notes here but hoppy also.fruity flavors are lurking behind the hops.
    more noticeable alcohol on this too, bitter finish( want to review properly, don want to get cave dave mad!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

40. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (10,026) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Hmm, that glass looks familiar, but I can't quite place it.

kemoarps and garymuchow like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.