New Beer Sunday (week 579)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by utopiajane, Mar 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CanadianBacon

CanadianBacon Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2015 Canada (QC)

Well, its Sunday again :slight_smile: hope your all doing well NBSers. I did Easter dinner early at the parents yesterday and picked up some interesting brews while I was at it. with the weather as nice as it is today the family came down this way and were gonna do a family bbq at my brothers :slight_smile: first of the season.

I should have time to review the other beer I had for today though so thats good. The first one I tried today was called Plowman's ale by Grand River Brewing in Cambridge Ontario. Its an agressivly hopped american amber and was really good for the style but I'll let my review give you the details. Cheers!
    [​IMG]
    3.76/5 rDev +1.1%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance - This beer pours an amazingly beautiful hazy dark amber color with 2 fingers of off white head, The head fades and leaves a layer of bubbles over top. Carbonation seems really lively. This is exactly what I want to see when looking at an American red.

Aroma - a sweet caramel hits the nose right away. followed by some light citrus, mostly orange and a bit of grape fruit. Then I get some really roasty smells and it finishes off with some earthy floraly hops

Taste - Caramel but not as sweet as on the nose, almost like salted caramel or buttersctoch, floral/earthy hops dominate the caramel and are then balanced again by some sweet orange which mixes well with a bit of grape fruit. all the while a light roasty flavor is sitting on the back of the tongue. Very interesting.

Feel - medium-light body dense but not prickly carbonation.

Overall - This beer is more than I expected from a red ale, It is agressively hopped which Personally I like but also holds true to the style with Caramel and roasty flavors. The nose is amazing and the flavors do mesh well. When I first saw the bottle it interested me but the label looked plain and cheap. It goes to show dont judge a book by its cover. I would definitely have this again :slight_smile:

★1,249 characters

2. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Very nice! =)

kemoarps, LeRose, Highbrow and 4 others like this.
  3. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,423) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

Next up is proof that I'm a sucker for pretty much everything DuClaw brews...

Hop Continuum #3

[​IMG]

Economical, white frothy head maintains a defiant finger on top this wildly hazy orange beer with bits of floaties hanging in suspension throughout it's entirety.

Aroma leapt out from arms length as soon as I popped the top. Juicy, bitter, stinging tropical essence found it's way most immediately, only to fade out in a bit of a soapy and generically bitter fashion, leaving only a mealy, malty apparition of what once smelled decent.

Taste is immediately sweet with caramel in accompaniment with the bitter tropical presence. Dig deeper to find a noble hops quality which lingers about as long as the dry sweetness left behind.

Not the greatest thing and not the best friend of balance, but it does have a drinkable quality either way.

4. GregBinder7

GregBinder7 Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2016 Michigan

[​IMG]
    Happy Easter! Cheers

gopens44, larryi86, BFCarr and 15 others like this.
  5. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Is this a new beer for you? What did you think of it? Is it one the rest of us might want to try? Can you tell us a bit more about what it is like?

6. GregBinder7

GregBinder7 Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2016 Michigan

This is a new beer for me. I've tried other things by Praire....Bomb!...Flare...etc, but this one definitely stands out. I got a very deep chocolate taste when I first tried it and then it finishes really nicely with lots rum and heat from the chillies added. This is definitely a beer that many must try, and if you haven't heard of Prairie many of their beers are phenomenal. This one in particular is probably really hard to find at this point depending on where you are from.

7. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (3,197) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

New I'm Going Blonde for Easter Sunday

Here is another NBS BIF brew from my new NC friend @lateralusbeer
    [​IMG]
    75 in March with a light breeze and tossing a softball back and forth with my daughter while standing downwind of the smoker? Can't think of anything more ideal.

[​IMG]

4/5 rDev +7%
    look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A slightly pale gold. Very clear. White soapy head with decent retention. Spotty lacing.

Smells grainy, slighlty floral, and there is just a touch of sweetness.

Lots of toasted grain. Very German lager like in many ways. Barley and wheat flavor. Just a bit of fruit. Mostly lemon with some passion fruit, Paw Paw ?, and apple/pear. Noble hops stand out. Pretty floral/grassy with a lingering bitterness.

Body is light and crisp, but I would honestly guess the ABV to be much higher than the 4.6.

Just a solid Blonde across the board. I know they are interchangeable with a Kolsch often, but they tend to be too sweet for me. This style, and example, offers a better balance of bitterness. Easy drinking, low abv, lots of flavor. I would gladly suck up 12 of these for a warm summer day.

[​IMG]

8. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Thanks!

This is very helpful and is really what NBS is all about. Especially for those of us who do get to travel here and there and like to try new things. :slight_smile:

9. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (4,415) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

10. woemad

Society Trader

That menu is doing nothing to make me feel good about my decision to keep breakfast light.:angry::wink:

kemoarps and Smakawhat like this.
  11. NiceTaps

NiceTaps Poo-Bah (1,983) Nov 21, 2011 New Jersey
    Society Trader

New (American made) German Pils Easter Sunday.

Greetings and Happy Easter from a cool and pleasant Easter day here at the Jersey Shore. I was lucky enough to play a round of golf this morning. After that my wife and I prepared a holiday meal, that's when I dove into this new beer:
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/273/124428/?ba=NiceTaps

[​IMG]

This was the spot-on Easter beer. I enjoy Sweetwater beers when I get them. Good stuff.

I've been revisiting some of the leading lady 90s music lately, including Belly, who are doing a Summer tour of the US this year. Those early 90s were some fun times, indeed.

All the best!

12. CanadianBacon

CanadianBacon Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2015 Canada (QC)

ok guys so beer number 2. I am blown away by this beer I love the brewery name Their can art their beer names and the beer itself is fantastic. The brewery is Collective Arts Brewing in Hamilton Ontario. The name of the beer is Ransack the Universe IPA and it ransacked my universe lol. I love this can art for reasons unknown but thats enough, I'll let my review tell the story. WOW!
    [​IMG]
    4.22/5 rDev +1.2%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - Poured from a really awesome tall boy can into a brussel tulip. This beer pours a hazy deep orange color with 2 and a half fingers of off white head, after 4-5 mins the head faded to a thick film over top.

aroma - Wow, Orange hits my nose almost immediately followed by grapefruit and a hint of lemon. Then I get a nice caramel backbone. This smells beyond delicious.

Taste - Orange up front with grapefruit and a hint of lemon bitterness, light pine, Caramel, and fresh white bread.

feel - Body is the biggest downfall, Its rather light for an ipa of this caliber. there is a light prickly sensation from the carbonation but its not stabbing my mouth instead its giving me that refreshing feeling a lot of crafts don't. and I honestly like the Idea of a craft IPA that would be good in my tulip at home or drunk from the can at a festival and this would be it.

Overall - This is a fantastic IPA. Its extremely juicy the caramel backbone holds up well and it finishes with a nice white bread flavor that I'm really enjoying. This is officially one of my top Canadian IPA's and a t 3$ a can the price is even right. Wow, I'm pretty blown away. Great job Collective Arts!

★1,190 characters

13. woemad

Society Trader

Dear Lord! I don't even know precisely what I'm looking at and I'm ready to propose marriage to it!

14. WesMantooth

Society Trader

Happy birthday and great review.

ONovoMexicano, kemoarps and Angerhaus like this.
  15. smanson56

smanson56 Crusader (793) Feb 15, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

Well good afternoon to the NBS crowd as this is my second post for today. Dinner did get served and I have finished pictures of my double smoked ham and Mac and Cheese.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The one thing I can say is no one left hungry.
    The sun has finally come out here in NH this afternoon and it's in the low 50's a wonderful thing for this time of the year.
    My second new beer for today is Oskar Blues Hotbox Coffee Porter
    [​IMG]
    This beer pours a nice black color into my glass with a 1/2" tan head.
    The nose of this beer is what you would expect rich dark coffee and rich toasted malts.
    The taste follows the nose but the malts are not overpowered by the coffee it is a nice smooth blend of the 2 flavors. Even that they are similar at times this beer does allow you to taste both the coffee and the malts. And there is no real bitterness like in some coffee beers.
    The mouth feel is smooth having allow my glass to warm a little the carbonation has settled some to a nice smooth rich taste.
    I found this to be a nice coffee porter and look forward to drinking the rest of the 4 pack I picked up yesterday.
    I hope you have enjoyed this day with your family if possible and I look forward to being able to read the rest of the reviews for today and also look forward to being able to find another new beer to share next Sunday.

16. JDAWG71

JDAWG71 Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2016 Florida

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w478/jeremydearinger/Mobile%20Uploads/20160327_162346_zpshzyevr0q.jpg

Cigar City Florida Man.... Nice head, full flavor and sweet to the finish. Not overly hopy, nice start to an Easter Sunday night.

17. WesMantooth

Society Trader

About 12 lbs of pork loin roasts with 1 wrapped in bacon because I didn't have enough for the other 2.

18. cjgator3

cjgator3 Poo-Bah (3,427) Jan 19, 2006 Florida
    Society

New Glarus Thumbprint Milk Stout
    Milk Stout - 6.5% ABV

[​IMG]

4.15/5 rDev +1.5%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. I've only had a few New Glarus beers so I am always excited to try something new from this brewery. Pours a dark black color with a light tan almost off-white head with good retention and lacing. The nose and taste both feature a lot of fresh dark roasted malts with some sweetness creeping into the amazingly smooth finish. This is one of the better examples of the style that I have tried, a world class milk stout for sure.

19. JDAWG71

[​IMG]
    Cigar City Florida Man... Great orange color, head formed well and hint of sweetness at the end. Excellent choice for this Easter Sunday.

20. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (5,858) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Happy Easter, everyone! I had intended to rate So Happens It's Tuesday this afternoon but I ate much too much at brunch earlier and I just couldn't face that 14% ABV, so I pulled this Dunkel from the fridge. I've had it for awhile. It is tasty and its 5.2% ABV is just right this afternoon. Here's my review:

4.21/5 rDev +2.7%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from swing-top pint bottle into a weizen glass. It pours a cloudy, nearly opaque brown with a one-finger, ecru-colored head and lacing that did not dissipate during the pour. It smells of roasted malt, molasses, banana, cloves, and pumpernickel bread. The tastes are rather subdued and earthy with lots of wheat, pumpernickel bread, nuts, and spice accompanying the malt and yeast. There are faint hints of banana and caramel. It finishes fairly dry and with a slight bitterness. As the glass warmed, the flavors became increasingly evident. This beer is light in body, well-carbonated, and its 5.2% ABV makes for easy drinking. Overall, it is a good example of Dunkelweizen. It's flavorful, crisp, and very easy to drink. I could envision a nice session with several weizen glasses and good conversation.

#100 MacMalt, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  21. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (3,241) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

%5 extra points for the Sam, Frodo, and Mordor reference. :wink: Good read!

ONovoMexicano, kemoarps and woemad like this.
  22. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,108) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Sounds like you both liked the new beers you are trying.

Care to tell us what it is you like about them? How's the taste, smell, mouthfeel? Remind you of any other beers? A style you're familiar with? Recommend them? Anything(s) you didn't like about them? Any other characteristics you care to speak about?

Thanks, in NBS we talk about the beers, it's what sets us apart from WBAYDN, and inquiring minds want to know. Cheers!

23. StraightNoChaser

StraightNoChaser Poo-Bah (2,545) Oct 21, 2007 Georgia
    Society Trader

24. FriedSlug

FriedSlug Poo-Bah (2,605) Feb 20, 2012 North Carolina
    Society

Greetings NBS people. Today I am drinking a nice barleywine to unwind after a day of filling out paperwork for my Uncle Sam. At least he is sending me dough instead of the other way around.
    [​IMG]
    The beer I drank was Cubano Walker from Olde Hickory. This is a NC brewery that pumps out quality beers and this one is no exception. Here is the tale of the tape.

3.87/5 rDev -3.5%
    look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

L: Pours a deep murky reddish brown that while not hazy is not clear either. I poured this as a normal beer and realized too late it would have taken a rather aggressive pour to coax a head out of this beer.
    S: You can smell the cedar in the beer but it is balanced nicely with hints of chocolate, toffee, vanilla and raisins.
    T: This is a rather sweet beer with the cedar and chocolate being most noticeable to me. The toffee and raisin last for a second and the finish is cedar, bitter chocolate and vanilla. The alcohol does not come out as much in the beer as I thought and is hidden well.
    F: This feels medium in mouthfeel and it is quite low in carbonation. I wish that it had just a little more as the sensation of drinking a relatively flat beer is just not a preference of mine.
    O: Overall I really like this beer. The complex flavors make this a beer I am glad to have tried but I wish it had a little more carbonation.

Hope you all have a great beer experience today.

VABA, gopens44, laketang and 36 others like this.
  25. laketang

laketang Poo-Bah (1,568) Mar 22, 2015 Arizona
    Society

job well done sir!

26. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (5,858) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

@cavedave, my bad. I forgot to cut and paste my review, which I usually do on NBS. I think my indigestion from overeating has got the better of me. I just edited my post and added my review.

27. woemad

Society Trader

Man, everybody's killin' Easter Dinner!

28. woemad

Society Trader

What he said. I'm especially interested in the Dunkleweizen. I had my first one in Germany in 1999 and it was a life changing experience. Too few of those available in my neck of the woods.

ONovoMexicano and kemoarps like this.
  29. JDAWG71

Lol, I am sure that would help others to appreciate the hoppy goodness I am consuming. The smell is almost citrus like a first with a nice aroma of hops filling the nose... 4.0 /5.0. The taste compared to other double IPA is smooth with no bitter bite at the end. Other Double IPA, to me anyway, sort of punched your pallet a little afterwards but not this one. The finish is almost sweet like. 4.74/5.0. As the beer warmed the hoppy goodness became more forefront, but not overpowering. The color was a nice amber orange, I am still very new to craft beer and still acquiring my beer wings... if given the chance one should give this a swirl... total overall rating I would give it 4.0/5.0

30. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,277) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

New Gose Sunday

Hey NBSers,

Absolute stunner of a day here in Bend, and my employer has seen fit to give us all a day off for egg hunts and big dinners. I'm using my day off for an altogether different purpose, day drinking.

I help produce a judged beer competition, and the leftovers from breweries I don't normally have access to are quite possibly the best part of the deal. Reuben's has quickly earned a solid reputation in the last few years, and done so in a city crowded with competitors. They recently started canning this beer for Seattle distro, but I've been holding on to this award-winning white label version for a few weeks.

Gose by Reuben's Brews of Seattle, Washington

[​IMG]

The head pours creamy soft and bright white but doesn't last very long. Lactic tartness and salinity levels are assertive and in balance, both in smell and taste. I haven't been to Leipzig, but to my palate this has to be a textbook example of showcasing these flavors. The salty finish invites sip after sip. 4.5/5

As it so happens, this beer won gold at our competition in the Gose category. Good to know I'm on the right track.

31. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,108) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

That sounds good:slight_smile: ISO Cigar City Florida Man, we get limited Cigar City distro here. Gonna hunt this one down. Thanks, and Cheers!

32. ONUMello

ONUMello Poo-Bah (2,599) Feb 24, 2009 Ohio
    Society

NBS! Happy Easter to those who celebrate! I had lunch with my parents in Columbus and now am back in Cleveland. Of course I had to pick up some beer while I was there. I've sort of always questioned why I can get such different beers not even halfway across the state but different distributors and all... so always a good chance to try something new! I guess that's why they don't see local favorite Platform yet but they just announced they will be building a new facility in cow-town soon. I also had the chance to stop by Temperance Row in my hometown, the dry capital of the nation Westerville, home of the Anti-Saloon league. It felt awesome drinking a flight there. I especially liked their hazy, citrus-forward IPA and imperial stout though a few others were average.
    Anyway, one of those I haven't seen locally is Cincy's Rhinegeist
    [​IMG]
    I had heard good things about their IPA and this didn't disappoint. Not bending the spectrum in any way but certainly solid. The balance of hops and malts across the nose/palate/body is especially notable. I scored it straight 4s across the board. Hopefully they'll make it into this part of the state soon.
    Cheers!!

33. JDAWG71

Message me your info and couple bottles headed your way...

34. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (3,263) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Good Easter Sunday NBS, for those who celebrate spiritually, and those who do not, Bless you all.
    Thanks Maria for the start off and I also will be looking for the food pictures!
    A big day in WMass, brewed a Russian Imperial to sit and develop over the next months for the fall season.
    Listening to REM Lifes Rich Pageant on vinyl, rich and delightful.
    A great hike up a local mountain, and now waiting to hear from #1 son, as he is abroad.
    Today's offering is from TO-OL (cant put that slash through) Fuck Art this is Architecture, a funky pale ale
    a bit of time has shown this offering to be complex and welcoming. I will be seeking out another bottle.
    Cheers all
    Fuck Art - This Is Architecture

To Øl
    Saison / Farmhouse Ale / 5.00% ABV

3.99/5 rDev -1% | Avg: 4.03
    look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured from a 750ml bottle into the modified tulip glass. No date, however as memory has it I purchased
    in early 2015
    A - Faded yellow sun, old honey, create the backdrop for vigorous carbonation to do their best Pollack impression.
    Capped with a tight knit white wool cap. Lacing is cumulus and relentless.
    S - Carbonation pushes the Brett and oak 2" off the glass, nose hair assault, not boozy as this is 5%, just tickles.
    Funky lemon aged in barrels, a warm raking of the stall, A bit of spice mingles with strong malt base, little floral buds sprinkle the offering.
    T - Sourdough crackers, and smoked cheese, Autumn flowers, limestone and chalk, orange blossom honey, a muted tart brett bite, laced like a Peter Buck 10 second hook, something to relish.
    M- Medium bodied, a wonderful dry element runs through the entire offering, pale malts mash up with the slightly tart bite. The carbonation plows that all aside and leaves well furrowed path for the ever so slightly sweet finish.
    O - I will seek this out again, TO-Ol does well in so many areas, the body meets the aromatics, meets the palate.
    a beautiful offering that makes me long for the next visit.
    Cheers

35. beerloserLI

beerloserLI Meyvn (1,316) Apr 2, 2011 New York
    Society Trader

What's up NBS Easter addition. Hit my sister in-laws for the afternoon and threw the football around and played wiffle ball with my nephews. Had a couple bottles of Tropical Bitch, tropical Belgian ipa, from Flying Dog while pitching. A pretty nice beer and I'm not even a huge Belgian guy. Unable to photograph and post due to the activities.
    I'm home now and back at it with yet another fine beer from @Prager62 . Jim, you tired of hearing your name called yet? Only like 15 more times to go.

The new beer is Delusion, an imperial cream stout aged in whiskey barrels from the koval distillery, from Greenbush brewing co. The brew comes in at 11.7% and a bottle date of 11/23/15.

A black oil slick pour with a tan head. A nose of bourbon sugars, and wood. Big time bourbon notes hit right to the palate on the first few sips. Lots of nice woody and sugar tones carry over from the nose and barrel. Smooth as all hell on the finish with a slight lactose aftertaste. The cream stout really adds some depth with vanilla flavors and I really get a sort of marshmallow feel from it. The mouth feel is a bit lighter than I had anticipated, slightly sticky but with more on an oily feel to it. I barley notice to alcohol as it drinks dangerously fast.

Overall, an excellent beer. Slightly different, but the flavors really deliver and I'm really impressed. I'm in the low to mid 4's all around. If I had access, I would buy and drink as much of this as I could.
    [​IMG]
    Sweet new glassware too,
    [​IMG]

36. woemad

Society Trader

Back with another from @Ri0 's box of joy. I inadvertently had myself a showdown of Citra-hopped Midwestern pale ales.

[​IMG]
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26/64228/?ba=woemad
    Zombie Dust is a very good beer, but coming on the heels of PseudoSue, it seems a little weaker by comparison. I'd still drink it were it local, but PseudoSue seems in a class by itself. Bring on the Indianan/3F fanboy outrage!
    Edit: sorry aboout the crappy pic. My lighting situation is not ideal.

#116 woemad, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  37. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (10,026) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Sweet glass! Haven't seen one of those in years. That tree in front is a lot bigger now.

38. StraightNoChaser

StraightNoChaser Poo-Bah (2,545) Oct 21, 2007 Georgia
    Society Trader

39. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (10,026) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

One of our NBS regulars will be going silent for a few months, so let's all raise a glass to @Roguer ! Cheers buddy!

40. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (7,413) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.