New Beer Sunday (week 580)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cavedave, Apr 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NiceTaps

NiceTaps Poo-Bah (1,983) Nov 21, 2011 New Jersey
    Society Trader

New American IPA Sunday!

Greetings NBS from the Jersey Shore where the temps are low and the wind is howling. But the sun's out and there's new beer so what's not to like?!? Today's new brew is a gift from a beer buddy. One of those, "Hey, Chris, did you ever have Rogue 7 hop IPA? No? Well, then I have a fresh bottle here for you...". Here goes:http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/132/111176/?ba=NiceTaps#review

[​IMG]

Did I say Howlin"?

All the best!!!

2. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,108) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

We'll be here all week, folks

LeperJim, 2beerdogs, Premo88 and 4 others like this.
  3. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Hmmm, I was afraid you and @beertunes were gonna tell us that. :-)

2beerdogs, Premo88, thebeers and 7 others like this.
  4. oldn00b

oldn00b Savant (904) Feb 23, 2015 Virginia

Hey NBS crew! Hope you're all enjoying your Sunday. I wanted to check in with this one. Not many reviews here so tried to check myself on how much I really liked this but just being honest here.

First, this is the only beer I've ever bought because of the label. This
    [​IMG]
    looks so obviously like this
    [​IMG]
    that as a Coheed fanboy I couldn't help myself. What's inside though - more than worth the price of admission imho. Cheers!
    [​IMG]

4.46/5 rDev +10.9%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

From a 2016 750ml into a snifter. Pours a rusty copper with a thin tan head that fades quickly. No lacing but color and clarity are nice.

Nose is interesting - typical belgian quad notes with some clove and ripe fruit. But definitely notes of the barrel and red wine coming through. Definitely sweet, slightly boozy. Tons of ripe and dried fruits - cherry, raisin, currant, plum.

Flavor is much better than the nose and look would indicate here. First thing that hits me is bright ripe cherry. All the typical mineral quad qualities are there but in no way overwhelming or brash. Definite hop characters coming through adding in a bitter to help balance the sweetness. It definitely skews sweet - the ripe fruit notes are all here and even bigger. The sweet definitely works for the style - they made a killer quad. The wine barrel here just enhances those traits. The resting has definitely softened it - this doesn't taste like a 10%+ abv at all. Caramel, and slightly earthy notes come through - leather a bit but tobacco is huge as it warms. Banana, allspice seem to come through more on the finish. The more I drink it the more I find and like. It's far more complex than I'd expected (and more complex than anything I've had from these guys). Somehow all these crazy flavors just work here.

Feel is right on. Carb is perfectly fine - thankfully there to help lift this off the palate and add a bit of a bittering note. Flatter, aged quads are generally too dense and sweet for me and I think this would be no different. I'm not sure I'll sit on my other bottle as long as I originally intended. This right now though has a great, rich, smooth, well rounded feel that I'm not sure how it could really be improved.

This really works for me. My opinion, for the price of a 750 (I think $14) this is worth every penny and definitely worth picking up if you see it and you can.

5. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,321) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Good afternoon friends,
    Back from a long walk, along with the grand dog Lola, and our two hounds. It's a cool day, but beautiful...Lots of people out cruising through the woods. We saw a nice group of Cormorants...a very cool and unusual duck-like diver (kind of like a floating and diving miniature pterodactyl).
    I'm still abstaining from beer for a while, but have tried a few non alcoholic beers. Here's what I think of what's available here.
    1) Paulaner Thomas Brau (tie) Germany
    1) Kaliber (tie) Ireland
    3)Clausthaler Amber-Germany
    4)Erdinger Germany
    5)Buckler Holland

Sharp's O'Douls, and Becks were not to my liking.

Here is a tune from Ken Curtis singing with the Shep Fields Orchestra circa 1941. Ken Curtis is best known for his role as Festus T. Hagan in the long running American TV classic, Gunsmoke. Festus was the unkempt rascal sidekick to Marshall Dillon (James Arness). Curtis plated a wizened redneck jack of all trades, and true friend to Dillon. If you are familiar with this show, this bit of Curtis' career may surprise you. He often sang beautifully in some episodes. Gunsmoke is a wonderful show, check it out! This is Ken Curtis with The Shep Fields Orchestra, performing Breathless (1941).

6. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (4,415) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

Back with my first true New Beer of this Sunday.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's a "Cascadian Dark Ale" from Pelican that's been sitting for too long. I thought it might have suffered from age, and may well have, but several other reviewers who had fresher examples report similarly muted flavors, so maybe it's not so off the mark:
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1304/40377/?ba=woemad#review
    Well, now that I've obeyed my conscience and gotten that beer out of the way, my next beer will be another gem from @Ri0's box of midwestern beer goodness.

#86 woemad, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  7. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (10,026) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Try the veal, tip your waitress. Shecky Beertunes and Vinny Cavedave, signing off from the Catskills.

8. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

This is likely my last entry, time to meat up with my friend, the butcher, and start drankin' some beer, and grillin' some critter. I grabbed some fresh, local andoullie sausage yesterday, and Craus said he'll have some beef and chicken, so sustenance won't be an issue. A couple of the bottles that @richj1970 sent are of the bigger type, both format and ABV, and I'll bring a couple along. With some other cellar stash, and perhaps a growler. Enjoy your NBS everyone, and gird thy loins, for next Sunday will rain down with BIF beer upon y'all!

This ImpIPA from Atlanta is very good: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/34960/123961/

9. woemad

Society Trader

I've seen some cranes and/or herons (I'm not an expert birdwatcher by any means) that look a bit like that. I look at them and totally get the theory that there's a link between birds and dinosaurs. I see a robin, well, not so much.

10. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (8,421) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

Hey what's going on?!

Why it's NEW BEER SUNDAY... just like every other day is a new beer!! but not Sunday...

Great weekend so far if a bit cold and windy for our hero, but the time has come to make new beer...

what's that in the ground now for our hero???

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cascade planted, Goldings on other side
    by imbibehour, on Flickr

Why it's my new hop bines/vines!! We shall see if this experiment works, but time will tell. Even if it does, the first year as I have been told usually doesn't produce much. However, the Cascade is pretty prolific so we shall see...

Now with all that yard work done.. it's time for a reward! It's time for new beer!! and oh what a doozy of doozies I got to dive into!! can not WAIT!!

So what first though?? I call...

TRAPPIST TIME!!!

Tre Fontane Tripel | Abbazia delle Tre Fontane

[​IMG]
    Abbazia delle Tre Fontane - Tre Fontane Tripel
    by imbibehour, on Flickr

----------------------------

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass. Consume Before Dec 2016.

What a unique body color for a tripel. Deep glowing orange and shiny, with opaque tan highlights for the body color. Creamy frothy forming solid three finger white head, slightly soapy but with a thicker and rocky appearance and big staying power. Excellent minor swiss cheese bubbled retention top that wont even budge. Very fine amounts of carbonation can be seen through the glass, just barely as it whizzes by so quickly and transparently, but a matching roaring fire of carbonation in the middle gives great clouds of smoke. Excellent and unique looking tripel.

Aroma is big on large phenols, sharp brown spices of clove and almost peppery. Hot sensing sweet nutmeg, and classic Belgian candi sensing sugars that aren’t overboard. Runs big, but just a little hot, but impressively and tolerable.

Palate is like a big estery mineral bath. Large mid palate amounts of banana and clove strangely, and a very nice airy dry cinnamon character as well. Light bodied and a hint of wet, but also some rocky minerals in the aftertaste as well. Leaves a real good banana cinnamon chewy and warm flavor when finishing.

Gets on the lighter side of body, but goes big on aromatics that are quite unique for a tripel if a bit large. Solid brew.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4 | BA Generated score: 4.09

-------------------------------

Always looking for tasty new tripels!! One of my favorite styles. Onward!

Cheers!

Premo88, LeperJim, superspak and 40 others like this.
  11. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Oh, those Great Blue Herons are Pterodactyls!!!!

12. lateralusbeer

lateralusbeer Zealot (546) Feb 7, 2010 North Carolina
    Society Trader

@SammyJaxxxx sent me so much insane complex beer, but it's 65 and sunny out and I just moved the lawn.

[​IMG]

Review: it's hot and this is very good.

13. FriedSlug

FriedSlug Poo-Bah (2,605) Feb 20, 2012 North Carolina
    Society

Greetings people of NBS. Just got done mowing the weed patch and decided to try this beer I just grabbed from Anchor.

[​IMG]

Here's my review:

3.62/5 rDev +4.6%
    look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

L: Nice clear pale gold color. When poured it developed a nice white head that left a few ribbons of lacing behind.
    S: The smell is nice but a bit faint. There are smells like mango, wheat, toast and a detectable sweetness.
    T: This beer is slightly sweet with yeast, mango, toasted wheat and a slightly bitter hop finish.
    F: Very light body with decent carbonation and a lightly sweet but clean finish.
    O: This beer is tasty and crushable. Not normally being a wheat beer drinker I bought it because it was made by Anchor and I am glad I did. The slightly more aggressive bitterness in this beer when paired with the nice mango flavor makes for a quite tasty and refreshing beer.

Premo88, LeperJim, ovaltine and 41 others like this.
  14. Act25

Act25 Poo-Bah (3,528) Nov 8, 2010 New Jersey
    Society

Ranger Rave, Rampant NOT - 2 new beers for me from New Belgium

Ranger | New Belgium 4.25

look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25
    Now one of my favorite IPAs ever. Ranger is a must try 24!
    A - A deep golden-copper builds a creamy, frothy meringue-white, creamy looking head that bulges, caps, mounts, and retains and laces well. Brilliantly clear, the filtered beer emits cascades of abundant tiny bubbles. Perhaps my first "5" rating since Duvel.
    S - Firm, juicy notes of grapefruit, orange rind, and soft pine provide a hoppy entree, which is back lit by malts and graham cracker aroma. Esters entertain as well, subtle but complex.
    T - Flavors follow aromas. The crisp citrus bitterness dominate the beer against a crisp and light toasty malt profile. Without being dank or over-done the hop variety, flavor, and intensity are outstanding.
    F - Medium bodied that finishes in a creamy, smooth transition into a dry, citrusy, and bitter finish. Juicy.
    While down the center of IPA profiles, this one is outstanding in its appearance, taste complexity, juiciness at only 6.5% ABV (which is about as strong as I really care to drink on a regular basis). This beer is up with Bronx Pale Ale and Dales Pale Ale for all-time favorite.

Rampant Imperial IPA | New Belgium 3.6

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5
    Tried this on arriving home from being away 10 days.
    Spring storm. Big lightening and wind.
    Disappointed in how dank and soapy this beer is.
    A: Pours a clear dark amber body with light, fine visible carbonation resulting in a 2 finger tall dense foamy head that slowly reduces and leaves significant amounts of lacing.
    S: Strong aromas of citrus rind, tropical mango, and dank pine hops over backdrop of caramel, sticky sweet pale malts.
    T: Upfront it's got a soapy, off- taste. Against a backdrop of brown sugar sweetness, the beer offers strong flavors of pine and grapefruit rind hops, along with a soapy, pissy dankness. A lot of almost ammonia bitterness finishes.
    M: It's heavier than medium with suitable mid-carbonation. Chewy and bitter, but too soapy in the finale for me.
    O:Murky and soapy. Would not get it again.

Premo88, LeperJim, ovaltine and 34 others like this.
  15. lateralusbeer

lateralusbeer Zealot (546) Feb 7, 2010 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I too was pleasantly surprised by that one.

16. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (3,197) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

2 words. Burton Baton.

LeperJim, LeRose, cjgiant and 5 others like this.
  17. 77apm

77apm Zealot (527) Nov 10, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

[​IMG]
    Never tried a Destihl stout before, and now I am kicking myself for it. This is the Illinois only release of the base beer for Dosvidanya, that was a medal winner at this past FOBAB that somehow I ignored in favor of getting tanked on Bourbon County variants. Live and learn sometimes.

Premo88, LeperJim, ovaltine and 24 others like this.
  18. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (7,411) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

Happy New Belgian Strong Pale Ale Sunday!

Pretty nice day here in GJ, sunny, upper 50s. Can't believe, kinda, what I saw today. One of the homeless on the corner's had his sign out saying "420 Friendly". WTF! Pretty tasty brew today, last vintage I had was 2010. Always a joy to drink something from this brewery. MLB starts today.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/396/185251/?ba=Wasatch#review

Cheers!
    [​IMG]

Premo88, LeperJim, ovaltine and 32 others like this.
  19. BFCarr

BFCarr Poo-Bah (1,506) Feb 13, 2012 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Good afternoon NBS,
    Not sure if it counts as "new" but I'm enjoying a Stone Enjoy by 4/20. Bottled on 3/15 so it pretty fresh. Nice balance here a fine IPA that has been posted about more times than I can count (ran out of fingers and toes). Side note, the bombers vs. sixer thread compelled me to buy the 6 of Enjoy By insted of the adjacent bomber.

20. Toddwildcat

Toddwildcat Initiate (73) May 21, 2014 New Hampshire

Double Dry Hopped Sleeper Street by Trillium. Grapefruit and lime coming through. Hazy and delicious.

21. Prager62

Prager62 Poo-Bah (2,386) May 7, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

It's been so many years since I've had that beer, I have no recollection of it. I guess I'll have to revisit it now?:wink:

22. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Woah Amarillo from Magnify Brewing in NJ. I don't like sounding like a fanboy but this brewery just keeps impressing me. Woah Amarillo is the 3rd in a series of single hop DIPAs. The first was Nelson hops, the second was Equinox, this one is Amarillo. All 3 were outstanding. Magnify calls these beers Farmhouse DIPA because of the yeast used. In any case I'm happy there are so many different hops to brew with so they can keep the series going.

23. woemad

Society Trader

HOLY CRAP!
    Totally forgot that's what that was!
    I have had it, but it was years ago. Pretty sure I really dug it, though. Might have to revisit that.

cjgiant and ONovoMexicano like this.
  24. NotAlcoholicJustAHobby

NotAlcoholicJustAHobby Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2015 Vermont

NBS beer #1 of the day is this excellent DIPA from Singlecut.

[​IMG]

Bon Bon 2X TNT IIPA

SingleCut Beersmiths
    American Double / Imperial IPA / 8.20% ABV

4.43/5 rDev +1.8% | Avg: 4.35
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled on 03/23/16

L-Pours Hazy yellow almost the color of pineapple juice. The head is a frothy off white and 3 fingers high. I had to pause to allow the head to settle before finishing my pour. Lacing is patchy but lingers.
    S-Hops are definitely of the citrus variety. Grapefruit and mango dominate. Nose finishes slightly herbal which was interesting.
    T-The taste and nose are are the same. Grapefruit initially, moving to a big mango burst mid palate. Mango lingers to the end with a very slightly herbal finish. The warmer the beer gets the more mango you get, and less herbal.
    F- The mouthfeel is silky and the carbonation is light. Overall call it the high side of medium.
    O- This is my first beer by Singlecut. If this beer is any indication of their work in general, I'll be buying alot more of their beers in the future. This beer in particular is highly recommended.

VABA, Premo88, LeperJim and 36 others like this.
  25. FriedSlug

FriedSlug Poo-Bah (2,605) Feb 20, 2012 North Carolina
    Society

Since I grabbed both of the new Anchor beers I saw I guess there is no reason not to review the second.
    [​IMG]

I think I liked the Mango Wheat better but I ended up giving this a slightly higher rating.

3.69/5 rDev +2.8%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

L: Ever so slightly hazy and gold beer with a white head. This one left a stray dot of lacing as it was consumed.
    S: Malt and a hint of lemon. There isn't a lot going on in the smell but it smells good.
    T: Sweet malt and the aftertaste of Meyer lemons. There is a very nice but mild bitterness at the end of this one.
    F: Light to medium body with moderate carbonation. Finishes quite dry.
    O: This is a decent summer beer and I would drink this over a shandy if I was looking for a refreshing lemon flavored beer because it is not as sweet and has that nice thirst quenching bitter finish.

26. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (3,197) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

For science and the future of the human race.

LeperJim, 2beerdogs, Prager62 and 3 others like this.
  27. smanson56

smanson56 Crusader (793) Feb 15, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

Been a busy morning here in Central NH waking to a couple of inches of heavy wet snow on the grass and early blooming flowers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    But even with the gusty winds most of the snow has already melted here and hopefully the warmer weather will be back in a couple of days.
    My new beer for this Sunday started out as a mystery beer as I have been participating in an April Fools BIF and you got 6 beers shipped wrapped so you have no idea what you are getting. This being day 3 brings me to this beer.
    [​IMG]
    This beer poured a dark black color with a dark tan head. There are some spices going on in the nose but I'm really unable to tell exactly what they are.
    Even though I've never had this beer before the taste from what I know is a giveaway there is a nice spice taste with lots of cinnamon coming through. Nice balance with the roasted malts with some chocolate overtones for sure.
    The mouthfeel is smooth just the right amount of carbonation for this great beer.
    As I've let this beer warm in my glass it has gotten nothing but better.
    My guess by default is that is from Cigar City and is Huna
    And drum roll please the unveiling.
    [​IMG]
    I finally got this one right so as it stands I'm 1 for 3 over the first 3 days.

Premo88, LeperJim, ovaltine and 36 others like this.
  28. woemad

Society Trader

A totally selfless act, done solely to feed the tree of knowledge. Men have received medals for less.

ONovoMexicano and WesMantooth like this.
  29. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,108) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Can you give us some description of the beer? Taste? Aroma? Mouthfeel? Sounds like you really like it. what do you like best about it? Anything(s) you don't like about it.

Balanced? What is balanced? The flavors? What are those flavors? How's the aroma? What does it smell like? Refreshing? Sipper? What are its best points? Any bad points? Recommended?

cjgiant, BFCarr and ONovoMexicano like this.
  30. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (5,858) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Happy NBS, everyone. And thanks to @Highbrow for his post last weekend that prompted me to try Boulevard's Imperial Stout X: Coconut. I'm an Imperial Stout guy and I also enjoy coconut so this one touched all the bases for me. Overall, I think it's very good. My only constructive criticisms are that it's a little thin in body and I can't quite identify the tropical fruit. Nevertheless, I'd recommend it. Here's my review:

4.19/5 rDev +1.2%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from cork and cage bottle into stout glass. It pours virtually jet black with a huge, foamy, beige head and extensive lacing that did not dissipate throughout the pour. it has a strong, but pleasant, aroma of coconut, along with dark chocolate and a whiff of caramel. The taste is coconut forward with baker's chocolate and some bitter, burnt coffee at the finish. There is also some fruity taste which gives it a soda-like quality. This stout has a significant alcohol burn; you definitely notice the 11% ABV. It is medium-bodied - not quite as viscous as I like in a stout - but that compensates for the alcohol heat. It also has significant carbonation. I also think the taste improved as the Stout settled in the glass. Overall, as someone who enjoys Imperial Stouts and coconut, I expected to enjoy this offering from Boulevard and it didn't disappoint.

Enjoy your new beers today!

Highbrow, Premo88, LeperJim and 32 others like this.
  31. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (3,263) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Good afternoon NBS, many thanks to @cavedave for the start and the focus.
    Today was a crazy outdoor day here in WMass, big winds and blowing snow meant for a
    great traverse on the Mount Tom range.
    A big week ahead both in Wmass and VT for work. Listening to Frank Zappa at the Philmore 1971
    I was able to see one live performance in my youth.
    Appreciation met with time.
    Todays offering is a wonderful saison from Blackberry Farm.
    Cheers all
    Summer Saison

Blackberry Farm Brewery
    Saison / Farmhouse Ale / 6.06% ABV

3.78/5 rDev -6.9% | Avg: 4.06
    look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle marked NO-2 into the modified tulip glass.
    L - Wonderful clarity, an auburn back drop sets the stage for a marauding column of carbonation to support its pure white king of froth. Queens lacing proves the point of endurance.
    S - Squeezed lemon, on fresh straw, dark malts, crostini mushroom, all add to the base malts. Very little hop bite.
    warm notes of fresh spring, mix with fruity esters reminiscent of fall.
    T - Amber ale, mixes with Belgian yeast strains, esters abound, then crashing into a super dry finish. The floral element is autumnal and a bit refreshing.
    F - Medium in body, super carbonation cleans up your breakfast, let alone this offering, Not delicate at all, a party crasher that wants dessert.
    O - A wonderful experience, the big saison elements are in your face, the soft touch may develop with the brewers experience. This is a delightful expression of the craft. Not to be trifled with.
    Cheers all

Premo88, LeperJim, ovaltine and 29 others like this.
  32. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (8,421) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

Moving along....

Enfant Terriple | Brouwerij De Leite

[​IMG]
    Brouwerij De Leite - Enfant Terriple
    by imbibehour, on Flickr

------------------------------------

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass.

A great looker in appearance. Nearly crystal and beaming in color, with pale lemon to lighter tan body color, and a roaring middle carbonation rising through the centre. Fluffy topped classic bright white head. Bowl marked as it settles with island and soft merringue puck on top. Great looker.

Something is going on here on the nose that is not like your average tripel. Slightly tropical hop character with a fleeting sense of pineapple and citrus. Hints of mild tea character with a phenolic heat sense. Interesting angle, doesn't hit of Belgian quality at first sense so not sure where this is going.

Palate goes for hops. Quenching and slightly juiced angles of tea and mild tropics to some indistinct citrus. Slightly wet body with a finishing and aftertaste of slight grassy hops and noticeable bitterness. Mild creamy tones of vanilla which is accented with just a touch of honey sweetness that just barely touches on Belgian identity. Soft waffery and fleeting malt, nearly flour and sweet dissolving.

This is a bit of an odd tripel, it comes off more as just a larger Belgian IPA with what seems like an American hop bent. Decent tasting brew, but much classic character is lost on me that I am desiring in the tripel realm.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75 | BA Generated Score 3.88

--------------------------------

33. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (3,263) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

As someone who enjoys both Everett ( had one today ) as well as your posts well done.
    Thanks for the comparison.
    Cheers

34. Jay_P22

Jay_P22 Aspirant (233) Mar 17, 2016 Virginia

First time trying this and it's great! So juicy. Had to make some trades to land this. If you love hazy IPAs, go find this. So much citrus it's hard to name them all, but oranges, pineapple, mango is there. The nose is amazing. I definitely recommend anyone trying this. I had Julius the other day and I prefer this to it. I think it's the same recipe but dry hopped.

[​IMG]

#114 Jay_P22, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
    Premo88, LeperJim, ovaltine and 22 others like this.
  35. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

Did you just review a DMX album?

Ain't nothing wrong with being a fanboy. Be proud of your local stuff if it's deserving.

36. BFCarr

BFCarr Poo-Bah (1,506) Feb 13, 2012 New Jersey
    Society Trader

After the Stone Enjoy by 4/20 I took a cue from @dennis3951 and opened up a Magnify Woah Amarillo. I had the Woah Equinox at lunch today and it was good, though a bit too much grapefruit for me, but this Amarillo is very tasty. Pours cloudy yellow with a lot of lacing. The balance between hops and malts is excellent. The mouthfeel is up there with the best IPA's (for me) and the taste mellows nicely after each sip. Pineapple smell is present along with some pine. An excellent brew.
    Enjoy everyone!

37. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (2,396) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

I've decided to read more about the beers and styles I'm drinking and also to review more beers. I feel like it may be a good way to expand/sensitize my palate a bit more. This beer will give be a new beer and new style. It was given to me as a joke by my boss. Well, joke's on her, because I'm going to drink it and review it. And of note, this beer has a special place in my heart, because my grandfather used to drink it all the time when I was a kid.

[​IMG]

Poured from a twist-top 12 ounce bottle with a Julian date of 15232 into a tulip.
    Look: Creates about a one-finger, white head, which dissipates immediately, leaving no lacing. The color is light tan/orange. I wouldn't call it amber. It's almost the color of apple juice, which, ironically, is what it smells like, at first.
    Smell: The apple smell gives way to a stale grain odor, I can't quite identify. Decidedly fruity smell, but not pleasant.
    Mouthfeel: Much less carbonation than I expected. A very slight oily feel.
    Taste: Actually, the taste follows the nose. It kinda tastes like apple juice and stale grains. I expected a typical amber AAL taste and smell but I'm not really getting it. Much fruitier than I expected. And it should be noted, the alcohol is hidden very well. It drinks more like a 0.25% than the 0.5% it is.
    Overall: Tastes nothing like any beer I've ever had. Tastes nothing like beer, really. I'm not going to finish it.

Premo88, LeperJim, ovaltine and 28 others like this.
  38. Ri0

Ri0 Poo-Bah (3,070) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society

After reaching a high of 36 yesterday, it is NOW 70 outside!!! :grimacing: I have been enjoying every bit of it. I took my dogs for a walk, raked the yard, and had some play time with my girls. Sucks that it will be in the 30's again tomorrow. :angry:

All that activity worked up a thirst that needed a good quenching. NBS BIF Box to the rescue! @Stillyman11 provided a few good ones for a day like today. I pulled Recursion IPA out of the fridge and it is a good one!

The aroma is pungent, fresh, musty, dank with some notes of citrus, tropical fruit, and a bit of sweet malt. It is rather aromatic, with the hops and malts colliding. Tropical and citrus fruits that are aggressive and also bitter. There is some sweetness to go along with the bitterness on the finish of this one. Medium feel with fantastic carbonation that give it a wonderful body. It seems to finish a bit dry. I really enjoyed this IPA and it reminds of something that Toppling Goliath would brew.

[​IMG]

Premo88, LeperJim, ovaltine and 30 others like this.
  39. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (2,062) Apr 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

My second round. Couldn't move too fast this NBS or the wifey wouldn't be happy with my painting of the living room efforts. Luckily, I could dull her senses with some super hoppy brews! (just kidding, I tried my best to do a good job painting, I hope) Thanks again @MilesM123 !
    [​IMG]
    4.46/5 rDev -1.1%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Fresh 22oz. bomber bottle poured into my trusty favorite snifter.

Look: Golden, orange hue, foamy head settles into faint ring around the glass. Some floating foam islands and sticky lacing. Careful pour still yielded some hop floaties, which I don't have a problem with.

Smell: This smells like a TG hoppy beer. They seem to all have a similar aroma profile at least IMO. Good thing it is a pretty great aroma profile! Citrus is up front, specifically zest of lemon, not a juicy smell, but more of a refreshing spritz of lemony goodness. Some grassy scents, fresh cut first run hay from early summer wafting over the fields.

Taste: Similar to the nose. Big, crisp, biting hop flavor. Lemon zest and earthy dankness. Refined and biting on the tongue, doesn't linger and doesn't offend. This is a pale ale after all, can't go to overboard.

Feel: Somewhat effervescent, light, bubbly, crisp and goes down easy.

Overall: Worthy of its rating, sits at a bit higher class then the other XHOPS offerings from TG, rightly so being gold, the king of metals. All of their brews are interesting, they are different than what I am used to with the local New England juice bombs, but are often equally great.

Premo88, LeperJim, ovaltine and 31 others like this.
  40. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (5,043) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

Good afternoon NBS, cold day today, but went to brunch with the girlfriend and some others. Got a breakfast burger and a new beer which I was quickly able to review before the food came.
    2SP Depths Unknown a dry-hopped American style Tripel

5rDev n/a
    look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Draft, poured into a goblet. A slightly hazy golden copper. Smell is kind of weak, slightly boozy, fairly hoppy, some earth spice, hints of light fruits. Taste getting a good amount of earth spice, hoppy piney finish, light fruits, hints of grapes and bananas, medium body. Not a bad American style Tripel, but doesn't compare to Belgain Tripels, still enjoyable, dry hopping is a nice touch, and worth trying.
    [​IMG]
    Got home and decided that I'm going to drink the IPAs from @strohme2. Right now enjoying Short's Snake Juice coffee IPA.
    3.9/5 rDev -1%
    look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Thank you strohme2 for this
    12 oz bottle, dated 1/19/16, poured into a snifter

A- A slightly hazy golden orange color with a two finger white head.

S- Roasted coffee, citrus, grapefruit, hints of oranges, pine, odd combo but it works.

T- Flavors aren't as balanced as the nose, earth spices, citrus, piney, roasted coffee in the finish.

M- Smooth, medium body.

O- Coffee and IPA flavors comes together to make a tasty beer. Worth trying if you get the chance.

★466 characters

[​IMG]
    Cheers!

VABA, Premo88, LeperJim and 35 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.