New Beer Sunday (week 584)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cavedave, May 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HectorB

HectorB Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2013 New York

Did the same thing about a year ago with different results. St. Bernardus was the winner followed closely by Westy. Rochefort 10 for me always starts great but ends with a weird and unpleasant aftertaste. It was a distant third.

2. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

I'll tell you what. If I was drinking a trio of quads on a Sunday morning. I wouldn't have much in the way of Sunday plans and possibly be contemplating calling in Monday. Haha.

3. London_Gent

London_Gent Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2014 England

[​IMG]

Wow. Absolute juicy banger. Cost me 7 dollars for a 12 week old can but was still delicious. Great stuff.

4. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (6,112) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Had this originally on tap, and enjoyed it enough that I bought a six pack to include in the BIF. I actually had one last night, and though I wasn't in review mode, recalled enjoying it quite well out of the bottle, too. Also, in reading your review, I think I agree with your assessment of how the styles weigh in to the makeup of the beer. Note also I bought and sent it before [I knew] it was an AB InBev beer :wink: (for those who care :grinning:).

2beerdogs, IceAce, garymuchow and 3 others like this.
  5. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

[​IMG]
    My second new beer today, which is also an American Pale Ale. Or California Pale Ale :wink:

Firestone Walker Pale 31 -- 4.9% ABV

Look: A light copper body, almost golden in a sense. Great head retention as I'm 80% the way through this there is still a thick film on top. Large patches of sticky lacing remain.

Aroma: Spicy hops, white pepper, citrus zest, peppered crackers.

Taste: A soft and subtle bready malt bill lays a nice base for peppery spice and citrus notes to play around on. Bitter pine in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and dry.

Overall: 4.14 rating. At 4.9% this goes down really fast and there's just enough of a malt precence to get some balance. I like it a lot, just as I've liked every Firestone Walker beer I've had so far.

That's it for me today. I still have FW Easy Jack but I'll not review that on NBS.

kemoarps, LeperJim, gopens44 and 38 others like this.
  6. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (2,062) Apr 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

Happy NBS, chilly and rainy in my neck of the woods after beautiful day yesterday.
    My first post will be two brews from the annual Make The Cut Homebrew competition run by 14th Star, Bev. Warehouse, and a distributor. Winner gets their brew canned and sold retail!
    [​IMG]
    The pic has the glasses on opposite side of the descriptions.

My thoughts.
    The Altbier is copper, clear, with a lasting foamy white head. Get a bit of caramel sweetness in the aroma. Sweetness is the first thing that I notice on the flavor too, followed by a but of toasty malts and bitterness. Mouthfeel is a bit effervescent, tingly, but crisp and dry. Overall a decent brew, not very complex, but not unpleasant.

The Baltic Porter has a near opaque color and creamy off-white head that settles into a frothy ring around the glass. Lots of roasted malts on the nose, with bitter chocolate. Flavors blend together well, at once bold, bitter, roasty, and crisp. Full bodied with low to moderate carbonation. Well made and balanced.

The Baltic Porter got my vote!

LeperJim, gopens44, LeRose and 40 others like this.
  7. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,423) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

For my first NB for this S I have an Other Half Forever low abv IPA (trying to get away from "session") that came in my latest trade.

[​IMG]

Far more murky in that OJ kind of way than I had expected, plus it has a very nice white head that's leaving behind plenty of sticky lacing.

Floral nose with a slight little dandelion inspired bitterness on the edges. After all else is exhausted, a mild sweetness wafts in.

Upon first "swig", and ever so slight tart that ushers in that previously mentioned dandelion bitterness. Not a ton of malt backbone, but just enough to provide a slight balancing sweetness.

Lingering on the tongue is a stubborn bitterness in an otherwise thin leaning beer.

kemoarps, LeperJim, LeRose and 35 others like this.
  8. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (3,197) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

New Quaker Sunday
    There are very few low (sub 6%) abv beers that do much for me because I need my malts. Just not enough balance typically with these 4-5% range brews. This one caught my attention because of the inclusion of oats. From my experience it is usually hard to hide them in body and flavor. While still very skeptical, I remain open minded.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    3.97/5 rDev +5%
    look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4/6/16 bottle date. It is a foggy gold with an ample amount of off white foam that resulted in a constant film on top.

Aroma has citrus rind, and a lot of barley. Smells like a mash with cereal. Also a bit flowery, and kind of an earthy mustiness.

There is lemon, pale grainy cracker like malts, floraly hops, and papaya or stone fruit maybe? Something rustic that I am not real familiar with, but gives it a distinct flavor. There is some bitterness, but not real assertive. Like most "sessions" there is not a whole lot of depth to the flavors. However, the oats make a strong appearence at the last minute and offer a nice ligering taste.

The body is the best part. Fluffy, sort of chewy, but still very light and delicate. Finish is dry and crisp.

I am not a fan of super low ABV beers, but this one has just enough backbone to hold my interest. I would probably be more likely to grab more of these if they canned it.

kemoarps, LeperJim, gopens44 and 44 others like this.
  9. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (3,197) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

Correct. I still havent tried that one myself.

kemoarps and bluejacket74 like this.
  10. Prager62

Prager62 Poo-Bah (2,386) May 7, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

Greetings from Tennessee my NBS friends! It's been a challenge finding worthy beer of any kind down here in Gatlinburg, so I jumped all over this beer when I found six packs for under eleven bucks at one of the local stores that boasted a walk in beer fridge. Reviewing Hop Perfect IPA by Yazoo Brewing out of Nashville Tennessee. A bottle date of 4:05:16 with no abv. listed on the label. Let's pour this road trip mystery beside the hotel pool!

Pours a transparent orange color leaving a generous two fingers plus of frothy white foam. Some lacing graces the glass as it settles. The smell is juicy passionfruit, mango, grapefruit and inner tube rubber. Some floral notes and cereal/malt emerge in the back. Flavor is passionfruit forward followed by pineapple, grapefruit and mango. There is a touch of floral and malt in the finish. The feel is thin and slick with a crisp dry finish.

[​IMG]

I'm a huge fan! The best beer I've found in this craft beer dessert and pretty fresh to boot! It's tropical juicy, but not over the top with a kiss of malt that makes it flavorful yet very drinkable. I'll have to buy at least a six pack to take home. My score was 4.12 / rDev 0%. Going to down a couple by the pool and enjoy this now sunny and warm day.

[​IMG]

I've broken a couple of rules today, don't tell hotel management!:wink: Enjoy your Sunday and new beer adventures. No plans here, just going with my instincts! Here's the 'official' psycho babble......

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/9020/221619/?ba=Prager62#review

kemoarps, LeperJim, gopens44 and 43 others like this.
  11. microbrewlover

microbrewlover Initiate (0) Oct 5, 2006 Pennsylvania

[​IMG]

This brew pours a cloudy, hazy orange color with a two finger head which sticks around for a long time and good lacing.
    The smell is full of melon, grapefruit and other citrus, tangerine and a little pine along with bready malts.

Unfortunately, the taste does not follow the nose; instead of being able to taste the hop flavors individually, everything blends together in a big hoppy mess; there is no subtlety; just palette shredding hops. The bready malts are also barely discernable. Overall, this is a disappointment.

kemoarps, LeperJim, gopens44 and 34 others like this.
  12. yuenglingfan101

yuenglingfan101 Crusader (731) Jul 7, 2010 Ohio

space rock by short's brewing company. Nice flavor a little bitter but a typical American Pale ale almost a IPA in my opinion

gopens44, IceAce, MacMalt and 9 others like this.
  13. Homebrew

Homebrew Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2012 Connecticut

What's goin on Sunday Funday friends ???
    been a couple 3 weeks or so since I've been able to join the party. long story short, as some of you know I've been tryin to sell my house for something like 8 months now.. finally we got an offer, spent the last couple weeks running around, then last week was the inspection :slight_frown: failed because of a cracked septic tank and the buyers backed out ??? needless to say I had no idea about it and now I have to dig up my front yard to replace it..... yea!!!! so today I get to spend a good part of my day at work, might as well have a beer.
    first up lunchtime libations, something light
    [​IMG]
    on to the nerdy goods:
    looks: a really nice shade of pink/reddish color, huge fluffy light pink head
    [​IMG]
    smell: too me it smells like roses, not sure what hibiscus is supposed to smell like but I like it, also get some farmhouse funk a little
    taste: like the smell, to me it taste like roses, I pick up a slight hoppiness not sure which hop though, very faint, also the funk is very faint as well
    overall: this is a great easy drinking beer, would be an exc ellent thirst quencher on a hot day, will be drinkin more of these

hopefully I get to see all yous next week, enjoy you weekend

kemoarps, LeperJim, gopens44 and 36 others like this.
  14. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (4,553) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

And here I thought I was the only beer nerd that traveled, bought beer - and then had to buy a glass, too. You know you're a beer nerd .....

15. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (4,248) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

Firestone Walker Luponic Distortion

Happy Sunday, from wet and cloudy southeastern Pennsylvania. Picked up a six-pack of this at my local bottleshop today, only a couple weeks past the canning date, along with another four-pack of Chillwave, so I'm pretty happy with how the day is going thus far.

Luponic Distortion pours a lovely clear yellow with two fingers of bright white head that leave minimal lacing. There's a big aroma of grapefruit and mango right when you pop the top. Looks and smells amazing.

It has a much lighter flavor than the nose suggests, with lemon peel, honeydew, a touch of grapefruit and mango again, and a slight pepperiness throughout, along with a pretty watery backend and modest hop bitterness lingering in the aftertaste. It's light bodied with a mildly chalky mouthfeel.

This beer starts off amazing, but ends up just good. They say this one is brewed with wheat to allow the hop profile to shine more. Call me old-school, but I like a bit more malt profile in my IPAs. The difference between this and an APA completely eludes me. Still very decent, though, and I'm glad I have five more.

kemoarps, ovaltine, LeperJim and 38 others like this.
  16. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,423) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

Next up on a dreary NBS (dirty secret - I prefer rainy, dismal days!) is another Other Half offering, this time it's All Citra Everything

[​IMG]

Would you just look at that thing. I let the head relax a bit before the picture, but that floating sediment thing is still there, showing off it's suspended goodness in this dark yellow, otherwise clear beer.

Nose punches pretty well immediately with sweet and bitter grapefruit goodness

Taste is just busy as hell. Starts out a little thin but builds up pretty well while you travel through the grapefruit en route to a sweet maltiness with just a hint of heat on finish.

As I mentioned, there's a touch of a thing start, but it scales up to medium bodied once by the time the malt takes center stage. Not a significant amount of aftertaste, but what's there checks in with mostly sweetness.

kemoarps, ovaltine, LeperJim and 37 others like this.
  17. ThisWangsChung

ThisWangsChung Poo-Bah (3,254) Oct 15, 2011 Maryland
    Society

Good mor...err, afternoon, NBSers!

[​IMG]

This time, I'm not doing a beer I've never had before (something I'm bad about on NBS), instead I'm doing a New Gose Showdown Sunday. The two combatants are the heavily hyped Westbrook Gose and the under-the-rader Union Old Pro Gose. This will be a good gauge to see if a hyped beer that trades for Heady is really that much better than the local option that's easier to find (and can't land Heady).

[​IMG]

Old Pro pours a cloudy straw color. The head seems to be a bit rough-looking here. Westbrook Gose surprisingly pours a clearish amber color, while its head has a more even texture to it. Both have poor retention, though Old Pro leaves behind some lacing on the glass. I'll give this round to Westbrook Gose - it looks like something that isn't a gose (an ugly style, by the by), while Old Pro pretty much does.

Old Pro has a fairly nuanced and subtle nose. There are some lacto qualities, but I mostly pick up lemon, lime, peach, and apricot. It has a very faint touch of coriander as well. The Westbrook Gose is mostly pummeling lacto, with hints of coriander and even caramel malt (!) peeking through. Old Pro wins this one, as it has a more complex blend than the nearly uni-dimensional Westbrook. In addition, I pick up a hint more salinity in Old Pro (though neither are salt bombs by any means).

Old Pro follows the nose well. I pick up lime and lemon notes to start, with a gentle tartness throughout. I find the tartness this year is a bit restrained compared to last year, but it works so well regardless. An ever-so-slight hint of salt finishes it off, alongside some cream. @Shroud0fdoom calls it Gatorade in a can, and he's dead-on correct. In comparison, Westbrook Gose shows off more in the way of lacto and coriander. It's not as tart as the can I had in Asheville, but more tart than Old Pro. In terms of the initial tartness, I'll call it a 5/10 sour (Old Pro is around 3/10). There's more coriander here, as well. The lactic sourness of Westbrook gose wears on me after a while, while Old Pro's citrusy goodness doesn't. Old Pro wins this round as well.

Old Pro feels thin and a bit coarse, while Westbrook Gose seems a little rounder. The latter wins, right? Well...no. While Westbrook's Gose doesn't taste ultra-sour at first, it seems to burn the esophagus a lot harder than Old Pro does. Both leave a lactic film on the palate. Come to think about it, thanks to the lacto presence of Westbrook Gose, it's Old Pro that ends up seeming softer at the end of the day. That means Old Pro wins its third round.

I like both of these beers, I really do. But the simple fact is, right here, I like Old Pro better. It's more balanced and more complex. Westbrook Gose is a more intense and tart beer, ergo is also more prone to causing acid reflux. I rated these two before, and I think I'll keep the two ratings the same.

The moral of the story is: you don't always have to chase a hyped beer, because you might just have something in your backyard that's every bit as good, or even better.

kemoarps, ovaltine, LeperJim and 40 others like this.
  18. yesterdayfaraway

yesterdayfaraway Initiate (0) May 21, 2015 Missouri

Lol....I just did a side by side yesterday and first time reviewing both. St. Bernardus 12 was better than Rochefort 10 by quite a bit IMO

19. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Poo-Bah (2,319) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Society

I haven't been able to find this in Fairfield Co. Anyway, sorry to hear about the inspection. My girlfriend went through the headache of several inspections over the course of 2 1/2 years. Nothing was more painful than the realtors, though. I wish you luck finding a buyer.

20. ZimZamZoom

ZimZamZoom Meyvn (1,001) Dec 5, 2005 West Virginia

My first NBS post in maybe four years. I'm not too active on BA these days but it's still my homepage and I saw the New Beer Sunday thread right at the top of the front page and couldn't resist.

My lovely wife grabbed this for me at the grocery store last night and I must say it was a pleasant surprise then and today when I drank one. The guys up the street at Rivertowne hit this one out of the park if you ask me...and you did didn't you?

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/30791/117311/?ba=ZimZamZoom#review

I like my impy reds sticky with resiny hops. This was a delight from the pour to the last sip.

It can't decide if it's going to be sunny or cloudy today in NCWV, and there may be a T-storm in our near future...but I'm under roof on my patio already thinking about what I'm opening next.

Cheers to you all!

ZZZ

kemoarps, ovaltine, LeperJim and 29 others like this.
  21. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Flying Dog Dead Rise Old Bay Summer Ale.
    Dead Rise is a type of boat used for crabbing in the Chesapeake Bay. Old Bay is a mix of spices used on crabs and fish. I didn't expect to like this beer but it turned out to be pretty nice. This brew is very pale gold and light bodied. The Old Bay spine is in both the aroma and flavor but it's not strong just little more than a hint. The finish is day. A good summer beer that would go well with crabs.

kemoarps, LeperJim, gopens44 and 20 others like this.
  22. Pierre_Pressure

Pierre_Pressure Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2016 Pennsylvania

NBS Part II, wherein our hero tries to find a beer more fun than a barrel full of monks.

Epic Brewing Big Bad Baptist
    [​IMG]
    A: Solid unpenetrable black. Slight mocha head decent lacing. 4.25
    S: Coffee presents upfront with a chocolate undertone. Notes of vanilla and a slight presence of booze. 4.5
    T: Follows the nose closely. The coffee strikes the perfect balance between being too subtle and completely overpowering the other flavors which I find happens in some beers. The only nitpick I have here is that I would like to see the cocoa nibs separate themselves a bit more from the other flavors. 4.75
    F: Medium thickness, creamy and with little carbonation. 4.0
    O: This is a fantastic offering. It is so easy to go wrong when using coffee or aging in barrels, but this nailed it on all fronts. There is a hint of alcohol present which is just enough of a reminder that this is a hefty beer and you shouldn't go at it too fast. 4.5

Composite: 4.54 Average: 4.31 rDev: +5.3%

Of my two offerings this week, this is definitely what I should have chosen for my after midnight beer. This is the perfect beer for those long cold nights where you want something strong and slightly boozy to cap everything off. This holds up well to some of the more hyped similar beers as quite honestly I'm enjoying this more than I enjoyed KBS, though you can't go wrong either way.

23. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,817) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Man, I can't wait 'til I see this beer in my area.

kemoarps and WesMantooth like this.
  24. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (4,415) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

Working on getting there myself right now. I had a lot of fairly high alcohol beers last night, so I won't be cracking into one today until at least noon.

25. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (4,248) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I give the Westy an edge over the Rochefort, but agree they both blow Abt 12 out of the water. I'd put Pannepot above Abt 12, too.

For me, the Westy was a YOLO type treat I got while in Belgium. I don't know that if go out of my way to get it here unless desperate for the tick.

kemoarps, keithmurray, Ri0 and 4 others like this.
  26. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

No photos is actually a personal and "professional development" opportunity as it then puts you in the position of having to paint a picture with your words. (Which can be good for the soul. :slight_smile:)

Just think of e.e. cummings who embedded a falling leaf inside the word loneliness:

l(a
    le
    af
    fa
    ll
    s)
    one
    l
    iness

#66 drtth, May 1, 2016
    Last edited: May 1, 2016
    gopens44, kemoarps, LeRose and 10 others like this.
  27. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (5,108) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Lucky you! I've never seen this where I live, nor on the distributors that will ship to PA!

kemoarps, 2beerdogs and smanson56 like this.
  28. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (4,415) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

Greetings, fellow NBSers, and thanks to @cavedave for getting us underway,

Sunny day this AM in the city that is today overrun with “Bloomies” who were out carb-loading last night. I was carb-loading too, but not to run a race. Saturday morning at midnight I had to go to work, so I slept the early afternoon away, then went to the second day of festivities for Iron Goat’s official grand opening for their new location, about 10 minutes walk from my home (they did their soft open about 3 weeks ago). While there, I had myself several glorious beers, such as their Manito Triple IPA, their Goatnik RIS that was aged in Dry Fly whiskey barrels, a barrel aged version of their wee heavy, a guest tap from Wander (a dubbel) and Iron Goat’s Lemon Gose, brewed as a collaboration between them and Everybody’s Brewing. Superbly drinkable. Although not officially new (I first had it about a month ago), last night I was the first reviewer of it, so I’ll toss it up here:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29334/227488/?ba=woemad#review

Last weekend I was visiting family in my hometown of Kennewick, WA, and stumbled across a couple beer treasures on Monday. At an Albertson’s there, I found Fremont’s First Nail and a couple bottles from Trickster’s, a brewery in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho that only just started bottling. I can’t find their bottles outside of the brewery in the Spokane area, but there they were at this chain grocery store 150 miles away. Here’s a review of Trickster’s Juice Box:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/30743/217452/?ba=woemad#review

Perhaps the “dankest” IPA I have ever had.

Oh, and on my way out of town, I stopped at a local bar that is probably the best source of draught craft beer in the area, and finally got to try Bottomcutter, a beer I’d been wanting to have for a year:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/30743/217452/?ba=woemad#review

Quite a few choices on deck here, today, so I’ll be back when I figure out what I’m kicking off with.

ovaltine, LeperJim, gopens44 and 31 others like this.
  29. smanson56

smanson56 Crusader (793) Feb 15, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

Good afternoon to all the NBS followers and thanks to @cavedave for the great send off as usual. Been a whirlwind week here in central NH. There was a break in at the neighbors house and 2 days later they hit ours. But thanks to the little guy pictured in my avatar they didn't have any success and actually were caught at the hospital a couple hours later being treated for the dog bites they got. The good new is that Diesel's cuts from the glass in the French door they broke were minor and he is doing fine.
    Then on to some happy stuff we have a pair of Robins that are nesting in our trumpet vine this spring and are hoping that they are able to raise there brood in peace.
    [​IMG]
    Not a great picture but if you look close in the center there is a dark eye and head with a little red underneath.
    Now on to the important things for today and my New Beer for today. Friday found me in Burlington VT. and after my obligations were met I had time to stop at Burlington Beer Co. and pick up a few beers. These guys to me are making some great beers and most of there BA stuff has been really good. But on to my new beer for today and it is Surfing Waves of Dopamine.
    [​IMG]
    This beer is called a Saison and pretty well fills that bill IMO.
    This beer pours a slightly cloudy yellowish color.(the photo doesn't do well for the color of this beer)
    The nose is tart and crisp and has the little bit of funk you get from the saison yeast used in this beer.
    The taste is the wonderful flavor of the saison yeast that give the beer that nice tart taste with the little bit of funk in the back of the mouth.
    The mouth feel is crisp and clean not much lingering after taste.
    To me this is a nice take on a saison and I hope to be able to enjoy this beer many more times as the warmer weather takes over for the summer.

ovaltine, LeperJim, gopens44 and 38 others like this.
  30. NiceTaps

NiceTaps Poo-Bah (1,983) Nov 21, 2011 New Jersey
    Society Trader

New American IPA Sunday...

...and it's a good one! That's what turns a cold rainy Sunday, and $XX (the XX means it was pricey but not worth the exchange) lunch out, into another good day. A good IPA to chase the blahs: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/33326/122204/?ba=NiceTaps#review

A good pic, too:
    [​IMG]

It's a good thing that I was enjoying that new beer earlier today because the food service was s l o w.
    It's the new beer that counts today so all is well.

This immediately came to mind after noticing the 20ish year old hostess sporting mom jeans. They can't be making a comeback, can they?:grimacing::astonished::stuck_out_tongue:

All the best!

ovaltine, LeperJim, gopens44 and 30 others like this.
  31. Hambrony88

Hambrony88 Initiate (0) Aug 2, 2013 Michigan

I am drinking some homebrews and also some Zombie Dust. Life is good. Also, I am opening a brewpub soon and we recently had to change our name due to some legality things. Could you take a minute to vote on our new possible names?
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/JC9H23G? Thanks!

32. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (2,150) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

Scattershooting while wondering why my fridge doesn't have a Rochefort 10 stashed in it somewhere ...

... found a bottle of this one on a recent trip to Houston:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A chance to use my Lone Pint nonic properly is always welcome, and 667 Neighbor of the Beast is tasty. At first it smells like an English pale ale, very fruity and sweet with some bread malt, but the first few sips, while fruity sweet up front, contain little hop bombs that explode into bitterness as the swallow ends through the aftertaste. This sucker's bitter ... tastes like pine tar at times. But like Lone Pint does, no one note takes over. It's really sweet at times, really bitter at others, like candied orange and sweet bread dough, then chased by bitter pine.

The review:
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/30380/88857/?ba=Premo88#review
    3.96 (+2.1% rDev)

Great beer. It mostly avoids the caramel flavor many American IPA/DIPAs get, which is nice for me, but like Lone Pint's Yellow Rose, it does a lot of malt flavor dance around with the hops.

Cheers!

ovaltine, LeperJim, gopens44 and 37 others like this.
  33. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Poo-Bah (3,137) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    As promised - Take 16 Brewing Hay Loft Hefeweizen Ale.

4.2/5 rDev +0.7%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25
    This pours a very murky golden color. The head is frothy, and sticks around. The nose is very delicious wheat smell. It also seems a bit citrusy. The taste is got the standard wheat flavor. It is also got a slight citrus taste, that I got in the nose. Delicious.

I wish I would have gotten more than a 6 pack yesterday in New Ulm. At least I have reason to go there every once in a while, because my widowed aunt lives there, and a lot of family buried in Home Township in the family cemetery.

#73 Victory_Sabre1973, May 1, 2016
    Last edited: May 1, 2016
  34. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

I've always found WB Gose to completely lack in subtlety and nuance. Good beer but wildly overrated. So much drinkability is lost due to the utter sourness. I've heard good things about Old Pro and will need to try it one of these days.

35. Homebrew

Homebrew Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2012 Connecticut

have a few-4/5 left up here in Middlesex cnty, if you ever find your way up

PatrickCT likes this.
  36. NotAlcoholicJustAHobby

NotAlcoholicJustAHobby Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2015 Vermont

My second New Belgian Sunday offering is this one

[​IMG]

Grimbergen Double-Ambree

Brouwerij Alken-Maes
    Dubbel / 6.50% ABV

3.58/5 rDev -1.4% | Avg: 3.63
    look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Best by 07/17

L-The beer pours a deep cola brown made reddish by the passage of light through it. The head is off white and one finger in height. This fades into a thin film leaving patchy lacing on the glass.
    S-Dark fruits and malts initially. A whiff of black licorice mixed in.
    T-Dark fruits, no licorice thankfully as it's not my favorite, and no alcohol. Feels kind of like a sanitized version of a dubbel. Unfortunately it doesn't have a lot of character to make me want to keep drinking it.
    F- Mouthfeel is medium to medium light. Carbonation is light.
    O- This dubbel is certainly drinkable. What it isn't is memorable. There are many better alternatives out there, especially among imported Belgians.

ovaltine, LeperJim, gopens44 and 33 others like this.
  37. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (5,043) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

Good afternoon NBS, starting my day with an IPA "from the future", Parageusia 47. According to Tired Hands the Parageusia series are beers from the future with the recipes given to them by some weird artsy guy from the future. I find the whole idea stupid and a little annoying, but the beers are good so I buy it.
    4.12/5 rDev +6.5%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

500 ml bottle poured into flute

A- A hazy golden straw with a large fluffy white head.

S- Some barnyard funk, floral, lemon/citrus, hints of the tropical fruits you get from mosiac hops, faint oak. Definitely different.

T- Wheat, citrus, floral, some nice barnyard funk, some mango, slightly tart, some oak, complex and a little strange.

M- Smooth, light to medium body.

O- Comprared to Para 1 and 2 this is a let down, but it works as a farmhouse IPA. Enjoyable but $16/bottle seems too high.

★500 characters
    [​IMG]
    Cheers!

ovaltine, LeperJim, gopens44 and 35 others like this.
  38. strohme2

strohme2 Meyvn (1,079) Nov 3, 2007 Michigan
    Trader

[​IMG]

Hopefully this weeks picture is not sideways. Don't know what happened. Anywho...

I've passed on this beer in the past month or so because I've heard unpopular things. I finally cracked and bought a single. Pours a muddled brown, with a short lived head. Sweet smelling, caramel, dates. Taste is caramel, nutty, dried figs and dates, a little bit of molasses. The barrel and bourbon characteristics are just about non existent. Almost nothing and it's at the finish. That's a bummer for me. Thin bodied doesn't help. However, it is very drinkable for a bba beer.

Overall, glad I only bought 1 bottle and not sure it was a good buy at this price.

39. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Poo-Bah (2,690) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Awesome post- extremely informative. Thanks!

40. strohme2

strohme2 Meyvn (1,079) Nov 3, 2007 Michigan
    Trader

Dammit! Looks good on my phone, not so much on the laptop.

smanson56 and cjgiant like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.