New Beer Sunday (week 585)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by utopiajane, May 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dennis3951

dennis3951 (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

A brand new beer, from a brand new brewery. Juicy Busey Saison from the opend yesterday Twin Elphant Brewing Company in Chatham NJ. A very nice slightly cloudy golden color,thin white head, this is a nice looking brew. The aroma is lemon and spice. Taste is spicy, mouthfeel is full and the finish is dry. A very good siason. I had an IPA here yesterday. That beer made a good impression also. Twin Elphant seems to off to a good start.

gopens44, 2beerdogs, dcotom and 18 others like this.
  2. cavedave

cavedave (1,030) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

New Amer. Wild Ale Sunday (week 585)
    Greetings fellow NBSers, and Happy Mother's Day to @utopiajane and all the other mothers out there. Beauty day here in Mid Hud Val, NY, and despite morel season being a disappointment so far, I am hopeful as always for better luck on the ridge tomorrow.

Great luck with beer however. I know the sticker was left on. It was too hard to get off. The price shown is actually a couple dollars less than at the brewery, so there's that. Expensive, yes, for sure but this baby is worth it. Absolutely superb wild ale, lots of barrel and fruity and earthy/spicy funk, with a ton of other brett and bug notes to make it into a complex, easy drinking, BEAST of flavor. My review

Hope you also have a Great American Beer in your glass. Cheers!

[​IMG]

gopens44, 2beerdogs, LeRose and 31 others like this.
  3. LeperJim

LeperJim (793) Feb 10, 2008 Ohio
    Society

[​IMG]

I'm Drinking a legend for New Beer Sunday...

How does one approach a beer of this legendary magnitude for the first time? It...

...arrived on my doorstep late last year from the great BA @Prager62 and I have sensed it’s presence in my domicile...daily. Yea verily I say unto you all, I have thought about this beer at some point every damn day since.

Clearly I have a problem and there’s only way to fix it.

A rare detailed review is in order for NBS BCBS 2015.

Deep breath. Clear palette. Clear mind. I slowly pour and swirl Bourbon Country Brand Stout into my favorite chalice (no, it's not The Duvel, and yes, I will be beaten later for this transgression) and I notice the...

…appearance.
    It is a perfect shade of blackness. BURZUM. It could be tar for all I know, except I can already smell it, wow. It sure as hell ain’t tar, but I do like the smell of tar. Anyway. Slowly I bring the holy receptacle to my quivering nose and I continue to…

...smell.
    The aroma offers what any great aroma can offer. A firm and tantalizing promise that the best is yet to come… It smells complex, dangerous, and very willing. Waves of happiness and intensity pierce into my noggin. This 2015 BCBS is seducing me. I am shocked to notice my mouth has begun to water uncontrollably. The drooling and moaning starts to scare me so I decide to quickly move on and...

...taste.
    While breathing through my nose I allow some BCBS to flow across my tongue, coat my teeth and partially trickle down my yearning and unworthy gullet. Taste buds begin to scramble in a panic and frantically collate and submit their reports to my already beleaguered brain. They are are saying. “Oh, it’s a good one Jim…IT’S A GOOD ONE!!! JIM IT’S ROCKING YOUR BEER WORLD!” I decipher the chaotic ramblings and come away with, strong rich coffee, vanilla, Utopias-like oak, boozy balanced chocolate, just like those German chocolates loaded with liquor...and it burns a tad. It burns us a little! YES PRECIOUS!!! IT BURNSES US!!!! It burns just enough to sear the flavors and clears the way for my mouth to fully embrace the BCBS...

…mouthfeel.
    I love the mouthfeel. It’s like an old friend who’s come home for the first time, and I never want this friend to ever leave my mouth…no, no not in a gay way…that’s not me, but I don’t want to swallow BCBS yet because this beer is NOT DONE DELIVERING THE GOODS! OH! Gulp, it’s gone. A second sip, followed by a third and a fourth and a...

“Sit the BCBS down Jim...Jim... Jim? JIM!! Step away from the BCBS! NOW!”

“...okay...”

So I sit the BCBS down and step away from the table. I reflect on what has just happened and for purposes of this "proper review" I think in terms of the...

…overall.
    My overall score is approaching a five (5) . No, it's not a full 5 because Jessica Alba and Elizabeth Hurley are NOT currently sharing this with me on a tropical private island, but IT’S PRETTY DAMN CLOSE TO A 5!!!

I could never have got my hands on one of these without the generosity of a great beer advocate.
    Thanks again @Prager62 for giving me this opportunity. It was worth the wait.

And now back to the table and the rest of BCBS.
    Cheers NBS’ers!

This post is dedicated to Mom (RIP) and all moms for making everything possible.

4. NiceTaps

NiceTaps (777) Nov 21, 2011 New Jersey
    Society Trader

New Dortmunder Lager Sunday

Good afternoon NBS. It's finally drying out a bit at the Jersey Shore. There's even some sunshine today. I'm dragging along slowly here; site? Me? I'll move on to today's new brew...http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2854/27945/?ba=NiceTaps#review

and the pic...
    [​IMG]

This beer hit the mark, maybe I'll seek out some more lagers. It reminded me of drinking some of Dad's beer as a kid, before the adjuncts took over.

Thanks for giving me a minute, all the best!

Happy Mother's Day!

gopens44, 2beerdogs, LeRose and 24 others like this.
  5. woemad

woemad (1,648) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

Finished a light breakfast and coffee, called my Mom to wish her a happy M-Day, then decided to start off NBS-proper with a Regular Coffee, courtesy of @SammyJaxxx:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26817/108008/?ba=woemad#review

[​IMG]
    Holy crap! What an incredible beer! I didn’t pick up on how big this beer was at first. I saw “cream ale,” figured, okay this will be a lighter beer with some coffee flavor, noted how small the head was even after a rough pour, thought, “Hmm, how strong is this beer?” I saw Imperial Cream Ale at that point, figured, okay, it’s a little boozy, maybe. Only after the first sip was I thinking, “What the hell is this?” and then saw 12 Fucking Percent Alcohol! I actually poured it out of the pint glass you see below and into a wider, big wineglass, which showed off it’s complexity much better. This beer is insane! I’m still working on it, and the coffee has come out even more than in what I wrote in the review. Truly an astonishing beer. I wish I had more just to take to other people and tell them, “You gotta try this!”

Thanks, SammyJaxxx! For those of you unaware, this guy won best box for the NBS BIF # 3, and it was richly deserved!

gopens44, 2beerdogs, LeRose and 30 others like this.
  6. LeRose

LeRose (1,107) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Some high quality postings on this Mother's Day...including the kick off from Our Hostess.

Another in a string of dreary days here in the kingdom. The sun looks like it is trying mightily to break through, but it is pretty much chilly, raw, and drizzly. It could be unimaginably worse, obviously, given fires, floods, and whatnot that have been going on, so no whining from us here. Perspective matters.

No beer old or new today. Church then brief visit to the mother in laws. My folks are roaming around somewhere....74 year olds...swear you cant keep track of them.... I bought concert tickets to the Generation Axe tour and honestly did not realize they were on Mothers Day. Reflex purchase..oh that's cool, snagged four tickets, then realized it will be my son and I who enjoy this more than mom and sister...but we will have dinner together and make the best of it!

Cheers all!

7. cjgiant

cjgiant (1,668) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Had this beer at Extreme Beerfest a few years back, and was in line for another pour when the place shut down (and fast). I had quite a bit that day, so I figured, maybe all the better. Now every time I see a review like this - and mainly since I know they actually make it regularly (pun unintended until I noticed it) - I am upset I didn't get that last pour. So, thanks for making me sad :slight_frown:.

:wink:

thebeers, KingforaDay and woemad like this.
  8. Mongrel

Mongrel (0) Feb 14, 2013 Maryland

Happy Mother's Day to all you beautiful mamas out there. It's a beautiful day for drinking beer! Tried this one today:

[​IMG]

Pours a nice hazy gold with a fluffy white head that fizzles out pretty quickly.

Smells sort of innocuous and musty, almost like a light-struck euro lager. Very faint whiff of acetic funk.

Tastes a little more watery than expected, and certainly less sour than the other AV Gose variants. Only a trace of watermelon flavor, but plenty of salinity on the finish. Bright, lemony and mildly tart up front, with earthy tea-like flavors mid palate.

This is a pretty mild beer on all accounts, but definitely crushable on a hot day. Given all of the options in this category these days, it's probably not one I would buy again.

gopens44, 2beerdogs, LeRose and 26 others like this.
  9. woemad

Society Trader

It seems like every summer, Seattle and surrounding environs get pretty parched actually, judging by the brown lawns and near-hysterical water rationing at restaurants. Growing up in the Columbia Basin, with all that irrigation water at hand, this isn't nearly the thing despite the hotter temperatures (it was once 118 F each afternoon for about a week when I was 17).

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  10. woemad

Society Trader

Since I'm so far away from NJ, and never really thought about Carton being a possibility for me to try until I got a bunch of their beers in @SammyJaxxx's ninja box, I guess I didn't realize you couldn't get Carton where you live. So, do they distribute outside of NJ at all?

11. smanson56

smanson56 (0) Feb 15, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

Good afternoon to all the NBS regulars and a warm welcome to all the newcomers to the great thread. Thanks to Maria for getting us off to a great start on this up and down weatherwise Sunday here in central NH. I had a couple of projects I was working on this weekend and well one of them is now mostly complete except for a few artistic touches that need to be added by someone more talented than myself. I'd like you all to meet the new addition to our garden for the spring.
    [​IMG]
    I'll say what looked like a simple project was a lot more involved than I planned.
    I was lucky enough to have time yesterday to make a Nightshift and Trillium run to pick up a few beers, okay a little more than a few beers as I have a couple of boxes going out this week. In the process I grabbed a couple of bottes of Nightshift's Second Breakfast. So my new beer for today is Nightshift Second Breakfast.
    [​IMG]

This beer pours a rich black color with a nice creamy tan head. The head disapates fairly quickly.
    The nose is very complex for me rich dark malts, strong molasses and some dark chocolate.
    The taste runs to the earthy overtones for me with chocolate and molasses and to me just a hint of smokiness.
    The mouth feel is smooth and even at 10.8% ABV there is no alcohol burn to be found.
    Okay I'll admit I'm a big fan of Baltic Porters but this one is really well done and as a straight Baltic porter with no barrel aging thrown in this is me is fairly close to top of the class.

gopens44, 2beerdogs, LeRose and 33 others like this.
  12. Prager62

Prager62 (1,259) May 7, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

Your review is as masterful as your art! I'm glad you enjoyed, I'll have to hook you up with a variant in the future. :wink:

VABA, 2beerdogs, dee4maine and 3 others like this.
  13. woemad

Society Trader

I know the feeling. Although I did managed to reach mi Madre this morning, my folks, pushing the outer limits of their 60s, are tremendously busy, which seems to work well for them (my Dad has a long history of putting his foot in his mouth by volubly expressing shock someone he thought was much older then them was actually the same age or younger, so they're obviously benefitting from keeping active). In a few days, they're tearing off for Paris, then Norway for a month. I hope to be half as active when their age.

14. thebeers

thebeers (1,320) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

Marble Cuvee Rouge

Happy Mother's Day to all the mom BAs out there. It's a beautiful day here in southeastern Pennsylvania. Took my wife and daughter out for breakfast; built them a garden box, filled it with soil and bought them a bunch of starters; opened some gifts; and now it's time for a beer while they're out planting.

This is my second to last from NBS BIF #3 courtesy of @ONovoMexicano. The last is a barleywine that the reviews have convinced me could benefit from a little age. This one is tasting right about perfect right now though.

ONovo sent me gallons of excellent brews from New Mexico, including many amazing offerings from Marble, Bosque and La Cumbre. This was the only one from New Mexico with a painted cap. My wife got me one of those bottle cap maps for my birthday earlier this year. The west coast and northeast are pretty much filled in. The midwest is getting there. The southwest is still barren except for this one.

[​IMG]

This one is definitely a worthy addition to the collection, though. As to the beer....

Cuvee Rouge pours a lovely reddish-orange color, with a slight haze and a finger of tan-tinted head that disappears quickly but leaves heavy lacing. There's a mix of strong oak and tartness in the aroma.

Both of these continue to dominate the taste, along with some tart berries, maybe some orange blossom and a little buttered-croissant flavor behind. There's a smooth, lightly syrupy mouthfeel with a good burst of carbonation when you swallow, making the tartness from the flavor really pop. Not too funky, but there's a little funk in there. Like David Bowie.

This is a highly-enjoyable brew. Thanks again to ONovo and the BIF organizers. I'm looking forward to the next one.

gopens44, 2beerdogs, LeRose and 25 others like this.
  15. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt (1,930) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

When do you not? Damn son, you be prolific!

smanson56 and woemad like this.
  16. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Damn, that looks awesome! I think it's a solid candidate for my "Favorite Beer of NBS" award this week.

thebeers and smanson56 like this.
  17. cjgiant

cjgiant (1,668) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

As I understand, a lot of Carton is hard to get in NJ, even. Sure a NJite can attest if I am right or not.

Ahhh.... another NBS review that leads to a want.

18. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Yeah, the Wet Side loses its green pretty quickly starting this time of year. The last couple of winters, before this one, were low snow years, and there wasn't enough snow pack to get through the summer. Should be better this year, and hopefully a lower wildfire year too.

woemad likes this.
  19. woemad

Society Trader

I had no idea that a bottle cap map was even a thing. As someone who collects bottle caps, that sounds pretty cool, but I shudder to think how quickly I'd run out of space on such a thing, especially for the PNW, a region I understandably drink a lot of beers from, or the east coast, where there's a fair amount of beer-producing states that aren't all that big. Or does this map of yours entirely dominate a room of your house?:grimacing::wink:

2beerdogs, Wasatch and BBThunderbolt like this.
  20. woemad

Society Trader

I've only had a couple beers from Ecliptic, but so far they strike me as brewers of pleasant yet unremarkable beers. I do dig their label artwork, though, so I guess that's something.

2beerdogs and BBThunderbolt like this.
  21. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

There are individual state maps too. My friend Justin has the WA, OR, and CA ones, not sure if every state gets one. That ND map would be a sad panda.

thebeers and woemad like this.
  22. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 (775) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

I'm with you. One of the few I don't like from OC. Due to that perfume character and too much coriander

23. beerloserLI

beerloserLI (972) Apr 2, 2011 New York
    Society Trader

Happy Mothers day NBS players. I'm finally home and able to sit down and knock out a few beers. Finally getting some major sunshine too after pretty much a whole week of rain here on the island. A bit windy but it looks like temperatures are really going to pick up this week.

My first new beer today is LaGrave, a triple golden ale, from Troegs brewing. A bit out of my comfort style but that's what this thread is all about right? Trying new beers. It comes in at 8% abv, and the bottle date is pretty hard to read but I think it's 12/31/15.

The beer pours out a beauty of a golden/peach color. Hazy clarity with light sediment, lots of fast carbonation, and a big fluffy white head. The nose is yeasty, and bready with light fruit notes. The drinking starts off light, crisp, and dry with a major fruity quality to it. The Belgian yeast is there but its seems a bit tamer than on the nose. The fruit notes are delicious and I really get a sort of light fruit salad quality with light syrup. Flavors of apple, banana, peach, lemon, and even mango. The mouth feel is rather interesting. It is light, airy, and pretty heavily carbonated. It really almost feels like a sparkling wine.

Overall, a pretty solid beer that I rather enjoyed. I'm not saying this will convert me to the style but I have three more bottles that I at least know now that I can drink. I'm pretty much around a solid 4 on it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

VABA, foundersasap, gopens44 and 29 others like this.
  24. gopens44

gopens44 (0) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

Tapping into another Magnify Brewing beer with this Low Visibility Pale Ale.

Normal picture first

[​IMG]

Now a liquid tension picture
    [​IMG]

And finally, discovered the limits of said tension.

[​IMG]

As you can see, nice foamy head, nice hazy orange color.

Bright, piercing bitter nose that's got a touch of grapefruit and maybe a bit of pine.

Tastes just phenomenal. For being a low abv beer, this actually had nice balance. Immediately I get that bitter mango, maybe papaya thing that fades off slightly sweet in a dry, pine bitter exit. Not too much aftertaste wise, but all around this is just terrific. I'd never have guessed it to be 4.8% if you spotted me the 4 and 8.

25. OldSwampy

OldSwampy (0) Apr 4, 2016 Virginia

She's new to me.

[​IMG]

26. woemad

Society Trader

Taking a detour now from NBS-related beers to hit a local DIPA that has it’s first review courtesy of me:
    [​IMG]

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/30743/172464/?ba=woemad#review

No re-invention of the wheel here, just a very tasty, somewhat big-bodied DIPA from a N. Idaho brewery that deserves a little more notoriety, in my opinion. Hopefully, I’ll begin to see bottles of this locally (despite being brewed about 30 miles from my home, I had to buy this bottle in the Tri-Cities, approx. 150 miles to the SW). Enjoying this while listening to the Mariners play the Astros and eating a Quesedia assembled from leftovers from last night’s taco-fest.

27. TBonez477

TBonez477 (0) Jan 15, 2015 Vermont
    Trader

[​IMG]

Overall this one is great but not as great as the brewery and the billing live up to. Glad to have tried it. Happy Sunday all!

28. MacMalt

MacMalt (1,816) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Hi everyone and Happy Mother's Day to all the Moms! After a week of cool drizzle, it's finally a beautiful afternoon. My contribution to NBS is the vintage 2015 of Stone's Southern Charred. This is quite an ale - nice flavors of caramel, molasses, and char - but it's very boozy. Here's my review. Cheers!

4.31/5 rDev +1.7%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 22 oz. cork and cage bottle into tulip glass. It pours a cloudy, medium-brown color with a one-finger, ecru-colored head and lacing. It has some semblance of apple cider. Most fragrant, it smells of oak, caramel, molasses, and bourbon. When sipped, the first taste noticed is the char: heavy, burnt, and bitter. Then, on the tip of the tongue is the sweetness of the caramel and molasses. The finish is quite boozy with a nice hoppy bitterness. The tastes blend very well and the result is very pleasing. This ale nicely chewy, moderately carbonated, and a beast at 12.7% ABV. It's definitely a sipper. Overall, the 2015 vintage is well made and deserving of its outstanding rating.

29. LeperJim

LeperJim (793) Feb 10, 2008 Ohio
    Society

Thanks!

BCBS has rocked my beer world. :grinning: It is as perfect as I've heard over the years and has exceeded my expectations.
    I'm gonna get at least 12 pours out of this bottle. :rolling_eyes::grinning: Thank you!

2beerdogs, Prager62, MacMalt and 4 others like this.
  30. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Ooooh! I love Tripels, and I love Troegs! What could possibly go wrong?:confused:

31. JMS1512

JMS1512 (0) Feb 18, 2013 New Jersey

I too have to work today, in fact, I'm at work right now. The best part? I still get to partake in NBS. On deck for this evening- getting paid to drink and review Enjoy By Tangerine. Awesome, right? Stay tuned.

32. MacMalt

Society Trader

Thanks for the report, Dennis. Chatham is close to where I live and I've know about the opening this weekend but wasn't able to stop in. Hopefully this week. It's right on the way home from work.

dennis3951 likes this.
  33. MacMalt

Society Trader

Thanks for your review, @woemad. I agree that Regular Coffee is unique. It's coffee taste is not burnt as in the case of many porters and stouts - but it's like freshly-brewed coffee. It's one of my very favorites from Carton.

34. woemad

Society Trader

Mmm. Love Baltic Porters. Sounds like a great one.

Interesting to know the robot from Lost In Space is enjoying it's retirement in your yard!

smanson56, cjgiant and BBThunderbolt like this.
  35. Ri0

Ri0 (0) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society

After a nice long hike with the dogs I had some lunch and went to work in the yard. After spending a few hours in the sun I was able to finish up and enjoy the best part. Beer break! @jhavs sent a can of Lawsons SoS, which is quite fitting for today.

Poured 16oz can into snifter. Canned on 3/5/16 so just over 2 months old. Golden orange and very hazy with a big 3 finger white head. Great retention and loads of foamy lacing cling to the glass. The hops are dominant at first crack of the can. Piney, bitter citrus, a some tropical notes showcase this beer. The nose is quite pungent. Waves and waves of hops hit my palate. Pine hops, bitter citrus hops, and even slight notes of tropical hops. A subtle sweetness peeks in every now and then, but the hops push it back. Full bodied and sticky with awesome carbonation. Goes down easy even at 8% ABV. I really enjoyed this and believe the can helped preserve the hoppiness.

[​IMG]

36. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

I'm sure that the glass makes it taste better. :wink: As it happens, I'm currently knocking off a 22 of ESB that comes from that Bham brewery, but, alas, no way in hell is that even remotely "new" to me.:rolling_eyes::sunglasses::slight_smile: Plus, ISO some Trickster brews.

37. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

I really enjoyed the can I got from @jhavs too. The rare beer that met its hype.

Ri0 and smanson56 like this.
  38. MacMalt

Society Trader

Carton self-distributes. I live about 40 miles from the brewery and it is almost impossible to find cans around here, although many local bars and restaurants serve Carton on draught. I stop at the brewery every couple of weeks or when they have a new release. My friends think I'm nuts but at least my wife has gotten used to it.

smanson56, cjgiant and woemad like this.
  39. woemad

Society Trader

Might be able to locate some for you, but I'm hesitant to fully commit because I don't seem to have much luck at it myself! I asked at the brewery when I was there a few weeks ago, and they didn't know themselves where to find them outside the brewery.

smanson56 likes this.
  40. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Oh, no worries, I still owe on some trade stuff. But, my busy season is about to kick into gear, so, perhaps, soon. Plus, my friends who make the Idaho runs will be alerted as to the presence of this brewery.

smanson56 and woemad like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.