New Beer Sunday (week 626)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cavedave, Feb 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,984) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Good Morning all you snifter snobs, teku tenders, pint glass preferers, goblet grabbers, stein stalwarts, stange slingers, taster takers, chalace choosers, tulip users, tankard bruisers, mug maniacs and pilsner glass brainiacs. Welcome to New Beer Sunday, extra early can't complain about work when it is this kind of weather and ya work outside surrounded by woods edition!

[​IMG]

Thanks to @smakawhat for filling in so wonderfully last week. Definitely enabled a hotbed of activity and discussion, as well as inspired so many great beers to be poured. Thank you sir, you are greatly appreciated.

I love seeing how different folks bring different personalities and strengths to open this thread. You all have suffered my excessively expressive expository expeditions for over 3 years now. Bi-weekly I wonder how much more of this abuse can you take? Today, though, I probably deserve a ticket for allitering, and to be pun ished for rhymes against humanity.

Speaking of beer, sign ups are underway for the still not officially named NBS BIF #5. We are shooting to make this the largest turnout yet. Great fun to play along with the hints, even more fun to see beer you sent enjoyed in distant locations, and the most fun is drinking and enjoying with all of us beer from those distant locations you otherwise never would have a chance to try. Sign up today here-

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/nbs-bif-5-sign-up-thread.489857/unread

I have a new beer for today, how about you? Well, if you do, now is the time, and this is the place. Wanna share some killer pics that make us drool? Please do! Be sure to tell us about the beer. Does the look of it make you tremble with anticipation and cause your saliva glands to fire? Is its smell so delightful that you close eyes and smile as the aroma hits the pleasure section of your brain? Does it smell horrible? Does it have any aroma at all? What are the flavors in the taste? How does it develop and change as it warms and opens? How does it feel in your mouth? Too carbonated? Unclean linger? Too thin body? Just perfect? Overall impressions? Do you recommend it? Nectar of the gods? Skull and crossbones danger stay away from this one? Share what you can with us, a formal review is even better. We all appreciate it greatly.

Thanks for keeping NBS fresh, fun, and informative for 12+ years. Cheers!

2. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (4,006) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Mornin' NBSers and @cavedave,

I like legally legitimate lengthy leisurely lead-ins, and puns are fine as well. (I often have puns for breakfast. :wink:)

It is indeed a day for some manual labor but it's also going to be an NBS Tripel threat Sunday here, so I'll be back later, about brunch time, with some information about the first Tripel of the day.

Cheers, all!

dee4maine, Premo88, MacMalt and 18 others like this.
  3. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,430) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Sniffer snobs, I like that. Here's my contribution . . .

[​IMG]
    Score 4.07
    look: 3.5 | aroma: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Gentle golden color with tiny bubbles constantly rising. Nice white cap and good lacing.

Aroma of spicy, vibrant hops spring out of the glass. Rich collection of resin, tropical fruit (mango comes to mind) intermingled with citrus peel. All this backed by the scent of freshly baked French bread.

Taste is very rich in the sense of bursting tropical fruit, orange and pineapple with conifer hits along the way. Hops are first on entry and ride the entire trip. Something like mild malt carrying everything along but not playing a major role. Finish is clean with lingering fruits in the aftertaste.

Texture is medium full without any feel of heaviness.

Overall it's a hop parade of very well knit together hop flavors of orange, mango, pineapple and fir with an accent of fruity hop abundance. I don't know if there is any hop variety other than mosaic used (brewery website doesn't say) but if that's the only one then this one's enough to create a complex weave of flavors. I don't get the blueberry mentioned by others in describing this hop variety but I definitely get the flavors I mentioned above. Hop goodness without harshness, this is a decidedly hop adventure.

There're some nice ones in this early Spring variety pack and I'm darned glad this was in the selection. Just wish they'd included more than one bottle.

4. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,556) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Today, though, I probably deserve a ticket for allitering, and to be pun ished for rhymes against humanity.

@cavedave Morning maestro and I have already been into the beer this morning. I went over to The 750 Saison first thing because NBS wasn't open yet but now I shall go and get my sour. That's right. A sour . See you in a bit. Cheers you all![

larryi86, Premo88, MacMalt and 21 others like this.
  5. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,574) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I've got a newbie, but I can't possibly drink before noon, I just get sleepy. Back later.

larryi86, Premo88, smanson56 and 6 others like this.
  6. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (5,255) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

[​IMG] Poured near room temperature not sure of the bottle date. Pours a bright ruby red, with a half inch white head that leaves plenty of lace, as it slowly settles into a thin layer of white bubbles. 4

Smell is chocolate, vanilla, toffee, and a little hint of beats.3.75

Taste follows, very simple chocolate, vanilla, and once again beats maybe. 3.75

Mouthfeel is about medium, mild carbonation as you would expect from a nitro beer, not dry, and very drinkable, but it drinks larger than its 5.5% ABV. 3.75

Overall this is a unique, very one dimensional beer, that is actually pretty tasty. 3.75[​IMG]

7. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,556) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Cheers you all and Happy New Beer Sunday! I was just getting breakfast going and I thought why not live larrrrge today and have a sour. This one is from Brooklyn. Now before I go on let me go on just a bit. This is a bad label. It's colors are not attractive to the eye. I will put it to you this way, when I first started tasting beer I actually avoided dogfishead because I thought the colors of their packaging were funny looking. Bad wallpaper colors or old lacoste shirts. In fact I bought this beer quite a while ago and every time I looked at it I chose a different beer until today! I mention it because we often have threads that ask about how labels affect your purchases.

Happy New Curmudgeony Sunday!

Enough about the label. The beer pours spectacularly . Brassy and gold in indirect light, sweet bright yellow in the full light. Soft haze and a big white head that fell fast to a cap and ring. The chill haze cleared fast and left me with a very clear and handsome beer.

The nose is subtle but graceful. It's prickly weeds, a bit of pungency and a soft scented malt. A bit citrusy and a lilting herbal . There's a little bit of funk on the nose but it does not jut out or take over.

Driinks surprisingly earthy and with lots of hops I was not expecting. They are sweet and herbal. Citrusy and with a nice little sour twang to it as it finishes. it finishes malty not hoppy and with a crisp champagne bubble. Dry and with a bit of citrus peel in the finish. Maybe a hint at tropical fruit. The swallow is a bit sweeter than straight lemon juice and while it does make your mouth water it does not pucker you too much. No bitterness to taste or observe but the hops were in there all the way to the end. You r tongue tingles just a bit from bitterness. The aftertaste is where you see a little more complexity from this beer. Spicy hop and that earthiness is the funk.

Cheers everyone!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Bluecrow

Bluecrow Poo-Bah (1,700) Jul 16, 2012 New York
    Society

The Commons' Fleur de Ferme is a dark farmhouse ale, and as the name suggests, largely the product of flower fields. The clear, deep brown bottle pour (750 ml) has very fine carbonation, but no lacing. Aroma is uniquely floral and herbal. The light malt body and farmhouse yeast flavors are topped and crowned by a lot of lavender, and other floral and herbal notes. The finish is a tad musty. This is a uniquely flavored brew. (apologies for the redundancy). The only comparable brews are one of the Brewed by Gnomes creations (also Portland, OR) and a couple of Big Alice Brewing's ales (Queens, NYC).
    I am almost always surprised by The Commons' brews...and now again.
    [​IMG]

9. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (5,354) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

Good morning, NBSers!

This morning, I'm starting light. Like most people here, I've had the classic Warsteiner pils. I wasn't particularly impressed, and I haven't had it in a long time. However, I know I've had other offerings from them that I found more attractive.

When I found this left in my fridge from a friend, it just seemed right for this New Beer Sunday morning.

[​IMG]
    Warsteiner Dunkel

Attractive enough beer, crystal clear brown with garnet highlights. Head production is modest, and retention only OK. The nose is inviting, carrying bready notes of dark fruit, red grapes, and peppery rye.

On the palate, the beer is simple and slightly sweet. Raisins, grape juice, a touch of toffee, and dark wheat bread. It isn't impressive, but neither is it offensive. Slick finish.

This beer sits right about where I expected: it's not tasty enough to make me want to run out and buy a six pack, but it's easily tasty enough to finish the glass and enjoy the beer. In the right setting - with some German food - it could definitely be a nice complement to the overall experience.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/360/1611/?ba=Roguer#review
    3.59 / +4.1%

Cheers!

VABA, dee4maine, WesMantooth and 48 others like this.
  10. Hoppy_Time

Hoppy_Time Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2016 Maine

New Beer Sunday hotel in Massachusetts version. With totally improper glassware, or is it proper plasticware? Trillium Heavy Mettle in preparation for our excursion to Trillium later today. This beer comes courtesy of @Eze23 .

[​IMG]

Looks like Trillium. Hazy golden orange with one finger fluffy white head. Moderate lacing even on the plastic. Head slowly reduces to a halo.

Aroma is massive and filled with Orange and Mango. If you can sniff your way through that, there's some moss, peach, resiny pine, and cantaloupe.

The flavor profile is unexpectedly more earthy, flowers and moss up front. Heavy dose of mango, orange. Lesser notes of pine, cantaloupe and honey dew. Maybe a little bubble gum yeast bite in there too. Moderate bitterness and a bold dry finish.

Mouthfeel is smooth with a light and bright carbonation. Light bite of alcohol from the 9.3% ABV, and slight astringency.

This is a monster DIPA. Very comparable flavor wise to Dinner for me though more floral and yeasty. There are times when the yeast flavors don't mix well with the IPA, and I'm on the fence with this one, it's obviously delicious but I'm not sure if I like the yeast presence with the hops. What really matters though, I'd never turn one down.

Cheers!
    Marc

11. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,723) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Winter of Pilsners (Continued)

Today I have another installment for my series of Winter Pilsners which is a locally brewed beer: Double Nickel Pilsner.

Why is this brewery called Double Nickel? An interesting question you asked:

“The name was the brainstorm of the 86-year-old father of the group's primary investor, who recounted an old story about the area.

The Tacony-Palmyra drawbridge (as well as the Burlington-Bristol Bridge upstream) once had a nickel toll. Truckers, especially, liked the bridge because its toll was cheaper than that of the Betsy Ross Bridge and other expanses. When the bridge commission hiked the toll to 10 cents, the truckers reminded each other by calling the bridge Double Nickel over their radios.”

Double Nickel Brewery is located in Pennsauken, NJ which is across from Philadelphia joined by the Tacony-Palmyra bridge.

So, now that the geography lesson is over let’s talk beer.

On the can of beer it provides the following information:

· 5.6% ABV

· 28 IBUs

A classically styled, clean and crisp option for the lite beer drinker and beer geek alike. Our modern take on a traditional German pilsner.

All Double Nickel beers are unfiltered and unpasteurized.

Well, everything sure is reading tasty but like the old saying goes: the proof is in the pudding (or beer in this case).

Served in my trusty ol’ Polish Pilsner glass

Appearance:

Light straw colored with a BIG fluffy white head.

Aroma:

There is a sweet-ish Pilsner Malt aroma accompanied by some spicy/herbal hop aroma.

Taste:

The taste follows the nose: a combination of sweet-ish Pilsner Malt flavor and herbal/spicy hop flavor. There is a firm bitterness here.

Mouthfeel:

Nicely carbonated, medium body with a dry finish.

Overall:

I think this beer is very good! When I was done drinking this beer I wanted another. This is a high quality German Pilsner!!

@RobH @rotsaruch @zid @KOP_Beer_OUtlet @Ranbot

[​IMG]

RobH, dee4maine, WesMantooth and 49 others like this.
  12. laketang

laketang Meyvn (1,282) Mar 22, 2015 Arizona
    Society

i love even little bits of US history! thanks and cheers!

13. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (6,869) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

Thanks for the awesome start for NBS cavedave! Will be back later today with a new brew.:slight_smile:

Cheers!

14. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,092) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

The old Boulevard Bridge across the James River in Richmond has long been known as The Nickel Bridge to locals. Built in 1925.

Premo88, laketang, smanson56 and 2 others like this.
  15. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,805) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

larryi86, MacMalt, smanson56 and 12 others like this.
  16. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,316) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Good morning NBS! Been trying a bunch of new beers this weekend, most local to the area we are staying. Rehoboth has a couple more local options since the last time we were here.

Also, for the time we relax in the room, we grabbed some bottles and cans. This morning's beer is one of those beers. It is from Anchorage Brewing, and they had a few options available at the store. They had four different "batches" available, each a different beer. This one is classified as a White IPA by the brewer, featuring Galaxy hops, and is dated Nov, 2015

An IPA over a year old!?!! Well, this particular beer was "aged on French oak foudres." Additionally, the beer is "bottle conditioned with Brettanomyces and wine yeast." The bottle even suggests aging is an option to "bring out the funk."

Let's get into Anchorage's Galaxy White IPA (with Brett):
    [​IMG]

Pours pale yellow/white gold. One pour had a bigger head that sustained the whole glass, while the other was a little more normal. The one with more head might have some unintended nucleation point to help the head grow a billowing white, fluffy cloud. In this glass, the head never gets below a small finger cap.

Nose, to me, is more reminiscent of a dry, grassy saison. I do get a little farmhouse with grassy bitterness, but the Brett isn't making a big dent in the smell. I do get a light citrus note as the beer warms.

At this point, I decide to read the label a little closer and see there are kumquats, peppercorns, and coriander involved in this beer. I actually bought kumquats once to see how they tasted - and apparently you eat the whole grape-sized orange, peel and all. As I recall, the peel adds a sweetness, the pulp a tart to not quite sour note.

Anyhow, initially, the taste is similar to the nose, but breaks from my personal definition of "saison-like" by being more bitter than I usually see in the style. The bitterness is also a little more piney (though it's also quite grassy, as well).

There is a little hint of the kumquat up front, but the carbonation level of the beer messes with my palate and tries to mask that flavor. These bubbles do seem to help the peppery notes before the grassy-to-piney bitterness gains the end. Another made-up point of distinction, the grassy/pine note seems more like fresher grass versus dry grass that I associate with saisons

The Brett never really gets its funk going in the taste, either. It adds to that farmhouse impression, but we never get into the barn. The beer seems quite dry, and there is a little tingle left on my tongue after the beer heads down my throat.

A quite interesting beer that has a nice bit of spice and bitterness. I'd like to get just a little more of the fruit up front, and a reduction in carbonation might help that.

17. Eze23

Eze23 Initiate (38) Jan 7, 2017 Massachusetts

Looks great even in plastic cup @Hoppy_Time . Wish I got a picture of the Dinner you so kindly traded to me but I couldn't wait to enjoy it !! Sooooooo good! Cheers Marc!!

18. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (5,203) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society

I love weekends. A time to catch up on things and get ready for the week ahead. I got my taxes done, did a bunch of cooking, and helped my wife with her podcasts.
    We've had 2-3 feet of snow in the past week. Winter came all at once. Upstate Maine, though, has had 3-5 feet, so we are the lucky (?) ones. Lots of melt now. Might hit 50 today, and the next several days look warm. I'm hoping I can find my mailbox door that the plows took out.

My new beer for today is Exorcism At Sunset from Clown Shoes. It is an imperial stout aged in bourbon barrels, and clocks in at 12.5% ABV.
    It poured an oily, almost viscous, black with no head.
    The aroma was vanilla, booze, and roasted malt.
    Taste was more than the aroma promised. Dark chocolate, vanilla, bourbon, and a hint of espresso.
    This was a medium to heavy bodied beer, The alcohol was present but not intrusive.
    I liked it.

[​IMG]

19. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,574) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Ugh, it's going to be in the 70s here, going to get close to 80 this week. I loved my times in Maine, but shoveling my roof would be ridiculous.

Premo88, MacMalt, smanson56 and 2 others like this.
  20. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (2,557) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

I know how ya feel. And I'm on the WEST coast!

Premo88 and smanson56 like this.
  21. woodychandler

woodychandler Poo-Bah (11,492) Apr 9, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Happy New Weyerbacher Sunday (Week 626)!

I am deeply committed to the eradication of the Bottle Backlog here at Chez Woody & in assembling beers for consumption & review, I have been able to construct some extensive horizontals, most notably DuClaw & Flying Dog. Now, it is Weyerbacher's turn! I am going (mostly) in order from least to highest ABV, forcing me to begin with a couple of American Wild Ales:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/392/114787/?ba=woodychandler#review
    [​IMG]

and https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/392/167495/?ba=woodychandler#review
    [​IMG]

which sends me off & running on this expedition. I will report back later today with news of my other successes. There is no way that I will complete the entire horizontal today, nor do I want to try. I have hockey to watch!

22. Ri0

Ri0 Poo-Bah (3,062) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society

Hello and happy NBS! I can't stay long since it is April, I mean February??? :confused:

It has been 60° the past two days and it looks like it will continue today and through Wednesday. Normally I would be happy if it was 30° in February, and yet here we are outside in tshirts soaking up the sun.

I am enjoying a nice surprise of a beer that I bought on a whim this Friday. Capital Brewery Queen Kathryn. It pours a very deep and dark copper with ruby accents. A tan colored thin head forms and fades quickly. Lacing is very minimal and spotty on my glass. There is a nice caramel maltiness emanates along with toffee and a hint of vanilla. Malts are lightly roasted and there is just a touch of charred wood. The roasted malts are fairly mild along with heavy caramel, toffee, a bit of vanilla and bourbon. A light smokiness and very subtle hints of dark fruit sweetness. Feel is medium with faint carbonation. This turned out to be a bit better than the base beer, which I had a few years ago. The barrel aging did not overpower the base only complimented it.

[​IMG]

Cheers and I'm unsure if I will return today! Have fun everyone!

23. Prager62

Prager62 Poo-Bah (2,237) May 7, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

Good morning NBS friends from a very sunny and already 60 degrees along the southern shore. The Sandhill Cranes are flying their circular migration formation overhead and squawking up a storm. A few weeks earlier than usual because of the nonexistent winter this year. Enough about the birds and on to the beer!

I finally came across this 750ml of Victory Java Cask that I've been seeking because of my love for any type of coffee beer. It has a enjoy by date of 16 NOV 2017 and I'm pouring it my Victory pint glass because I love matching glassware.

Pours a medium viscosity oily black leaving two fingers of creamy mocha colored foam. A bit of lacing is left as it settles. The smell is coffee, dark chocolate and bourbon. Taste is a coffee/chocolate blend along with bourbon and a healthy dose of oak in the finish. The feel is medium thick, oily and creamy up front, then finishes rather hot from the big 14.3% abv.

[​IMG]

As a lover of coffee and coffee brews this is up there with the best. The smell and feel were a little 'weak' for me but it in no way detracted from my overall positive experience with this fine beer. My score is 4.36 / rDev+0.2%. I regret not buying two!

Time to sip on the remaining ounces and get an early start on some yard clean up. I'm sure we'll see some snow before this winter is over. Have yourselves a great day and enjoy your new beer adventures! Here's the official scorecard.....

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/345/184932/?ba=Prager62#review

24. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (2,538) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Good morning NBS, Thanks @cavedave for the finely crafted introduction. Always a great way to start the day. We are headed off for some local hiking, and then to the spontaneous opening of the "Snow Bar" outside and upstairs on the roof deck at the Northampton Brewery. Yesterday was spent at the Harris Hill Ski Jump, always a good time.
    Today's offering is a built up blonde ale, added grapefruit and juniper berries aged on cedar.
    I liked the offering, the visual of so much material aloft in the bottle was the only off putting part for me.
    Cheers all

Jopen / Cigar City Brewing - Wayne's World

Jopen Bier BV Haarlem
    American Blonde Ale / 6.50% ABV

3.81/5 rDev -2.6% | Avg: 3.91
    look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 oz bottle dated 04 July 2016 into the test glass.
    A - The gentle pour yields a sunflower colored backdrop. Modest carbonation migrates top side, the frothy cap lasts ages.
    The gentle pour was needed, as the bottle showed massive sediments, possibly the coarse parts of grapefruit addition, either way large bits in the bottle I chose to keep there.
    S - Warm candied fruit slices, orange, pineapple, lily blends with hints of cedar, that juniper adds a delightful element.
    T - Warm biscuit, spread with pineapple, apricot jam. Leather (from the cedar maybe) , a bit of white pepper, honey and some nice wheat graininess. The yeast is distinct and quite interesting.
    M - Surprisingly thick, oily on the palate, full coating starts mildly sweet, and continues on that trajectory. Carbonation struggles to move things along. A nice piney bitterness meanders its way in and plants the flag. the linger stays on the bitter side and refuses to budge until the next sip.
    O - A hefty bodied offering that is compellingly complex. From the cedar to the juniper berries, the blonde ale base is a great platform to build off of.
    Worth seeking out

25. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (4,006) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

New Beer Sunday: First round of Tripel Threat Sunday.

Afternoon, NBSers with special greetings to all of you who think a Tripel is a treat.

The weather here today is basically spring, with temps in the upper sixties and lots of sunshine.

Well the original plan for the day was derailed by a few unexpected things, but some of the yard work is done and my wife and our kids are not around the house. (I think the current plan is that she is stepping up to her responsibility to spend some money shopping. :slight_smile:)

While waiting for a late lunch to finish baking, I'm having a new Tripel from the Flying Dog's Brewhouse Rarities, the Salt and Pepper Tripel. I'm also looking forward to having some of it paired with lunch, which is a baked Ham and Cheddar Cheese Frittata that has lots of diced onion, along with lots of diced Green and Red Bell Peppers

As usual my review, subject to revision until I start with lunch, can be found here:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/68/264337/?ba=drtth#review

While not traditional, I think this is a very interesting take on a Belgian style with the salt and pepper used to enhance but not conceal the other aromas/flavors expected in a Triple (e.g., a bit of banana, some green apple, some white pepper and pear, etc.). In addition they add an interesting twist in the finish that includes the pepper spice and it’s warmth along with the salt coming in at the end to change the flavor of the dryness in the ending. Pretty sure I'll be having at least one more before this special release disappears from the shelves.

Cheers, all!

26. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (5,203) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society

We only shovel the roof when it stays cold and we have a lot of snow.

27. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,084) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Dipping into a can I got from a trade. I love trading for mixed four and six packs. Lovely way to try some local beer off of the radar, and see what other regions are producing. This particular can hails from Vermont. The trade was spurred by my interest in NE IPAs, and the recipient wanted Sump of which I had enough to share. He got a bottle to check off his "wants" list, and I got some tasty local stuff out of Vermont. This beer is new enough that it doesn't have a photo here on BA. So let's get into this.

[​IMG]

Burlington Beer Company's Shoegazer.

Pours a peachy yellow with an opaque, non-transparent hue to it. Head foams up to a finger and a half in height, and white in color. Lacing forms a few tight bubbly swaths around the glass. Aroma is nutty, with an understated fruit hop note. Raspberries and wheat round out a light aroma. Flavor profile features nutty and wheaty malt notes, with a light fruitness. There is a bit of a grainy, floury taste, particularly towards the finish of the flavor profile. Mouth feel features that fine, nitty texture to it, all within a medium thickness. Overall, the spelt malt in this blonde ale really keeps things interesting. Hop qualities are subtle, but help balance out the malts. It's an easy drinking, but tasty, beer.

Score: 4.25 | 4.25 | 4.25 | 4 | 4.25 | BA Score: 4.23 | rDev: +0.7%

28. woodychandler

Society Trader

It would be nice to drink Queen Kathryn with Kathryn Tappen at some point!

29. Dragginballs76

Dragginballs76 Poo-Bah (2,588) Nov 13, 2015 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Good Afternoon NBSers, thanks to @cavedave for the rousing start. I just got back in about an hour ago from a weekend trip to Asheville to pick up a trunk full of beer (much to my wife's dismay :slight_smile:). I found this Burial beer Surf Wax that I had been looking for and could not get it cooled down fast enough. It is an IPA canned on 1/26/17 and clocks in at 6.8% ABV, it says to serve at 50 degrees but I may have pulled it a little soon in my eagerness to try it. I have to say it does not disappoint, tons of tropical fruit blended well with grapefruit and pine. Hope everyone has a great Sunday, getting ready to head to a local spot for a Sierra Nevada tap takeover!!! Cheers!!

Appearance 4.25 - Pours cloudy orange color with foamy white head that lasted for about 5 minutes or so. Very good lacing all around the glass.

Aroma 4.5 - Lots of tropical fruit, mango, pineapple and papaya. The fruit adds a level of sweetness, there is also a nice pine aroma.

Flavor 4.25 - Very closely follows the aroma, mainly pineapple and mango in the flavor a nice blend of tropical fruit and bitter pine/grapefruit. This is a very well balanced beer from a flavor standpoint.

Feel 4 - Medium body, good carbonation nice bite initially with a slightly dry finish.

Overall 4.29 - A really great beer, aroma is wonderful and the flavors are very well balanced.

[​IMG]

30. Pantalones

Pantalones Devotee (450) Nov 14, 2014 Virginia

Having one of the three new stouts in my fridge for breakfast...

[​IMG]

Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout. For some reason this is one beer in the Samuel Smith lineup that I don't see as often -- the local beer store pretty much always has the Nut Brown Ale, at least one of the fruit ales, Organic Lager, and Taddy Porter in stock but on my most recent visit I only found a single bottle of this one. Apparently I was in a stouty moot the other day when I went beer shopping (as mentioned above -- three new stouts in my fridge currently!), because I grabbed that bottle off the shelf immediately upon seeing it. XD

Anyway, on to the beer. As expected from an imperial stout, it is pitch-black in color with a brown layer of foam on top. There was a decent layer of foam at first, but it shrank and started getting gaps in it fairly quickly (I've noticed this happening with a lot of higher-ABV stouts for some reason.) The smell is fruitier than most stouts I've had, maybe a tad alcohol-y, with some nice almost buttery-seeming chocolatiness hanging out behind that. Flavor is much less fruity than the smell with no noticeable alcohol taste, and starts out with that buttery-chocolatey thing before shifting into darker roasty/charred flavors which linger on afterward. Mouthfeel is very nice, smooth but thick so it works just as well for sipping or drinking a bit more at a time, it's pretty much a perfect fit for an imperial stout that's on the lower end of the ABV spectrum than the double-digit-ABV behemoths that seem to have become the standard of the style these days -- this one is only 7% ABV.

I'm noticing that the fruityish thing I was noticing in the smell at first seems to have almost completely vanished at this point, only popping in occasionally and never as strong as when the beer was first poured; the sweetish buttery chocolatey smell is coming out ahead of everything else now, with a slight alcohol presence if I sniff long enough (still no alcohol flavors in the taste, though, and I'm not noticing any obvious warming like I get from other 7%+ ABV beers either -- seems the alcohol is very well hidden behind all those chocolate/roasty malt flavors.) I'm also noticing that every now and then, there seems to be the faintest little hint of an earthy/spicy hop bitterness on the end, especially now that I'm getting down toward the end of the glass. It comes up a bit in burps too. I'm guessing that means this is a decently fresh bottle despite being imported and sitting on unrefrigerated shelves for who knows how long -- I know things were a bit different in the past (what with some of the old "East India Porter" recipes calculating out to something like 90 IBU) but aren't English examples of stouts/porters usually not very hoppy these days? Wasn't expecting to pick up any hint of hops here, but their presence adds an interesting extra little "something" to an already very tasty beer.

Overall, this is a great beer that I hope I'll get a chance to pick up more of in the future. I think it's only the second (non-barrel-aged) imperial stout that I've had so far, but of the two I've had I definitely prefer this one. Looks like the beers I picked up on my last trip to the store have all been winners so far -- let's hope that trend continues for the two remaining.

31. woodychandler

Society Trader

I just invited her! @KathrynTappen If I can get a bottle of Capital Brewery's @CapBrew Queen Kathryn, would you drink it with me? I'll come to NYC! Invite J.R.

32. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,092) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

My son brought some of those over last night. A great beer!

33. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,600) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

Hey what's going on?!

simple. IT's TRIPEL TIME!! and life is not good unless you gotta good tripel.

Wait what's that? A new tripel on the best of lists? and readily available?

I must slay thee!

Tripels are one of my favorite beer styles. And for me, nothing says coming inside from doing yard work and having a beer. Particularly when you have to water your lawn in late February! For real??? yeah for real.

So let's get right to it!

Game Of Thrones: Valar Dohaeris | Brewery Ommegang

[​IMG]
    Brewery Ommegang - Game Of Thrones: Valar Dohaeris
    by imbibehour, on Flickr

I know of your tv series, but dont care... but you sir I will drink your beer.

-------

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass.

Big frothy and off white to vanilla white colored head. Sits at a big three fingers, with soapy retention thought. Deep orange to bronze body color, with lots of plentiful carbonation, swirling like a galaxy. Sits with a good cap, and island top. Very nice looking tripel.

Very nice mix of Belgian character. Spicy phenols, with a bit of drying malt surprisingly and a touch of white flour. Hints a little sweetness but goes for spices rather than fruity esters. Pretty solid.

Palate is quite good. Rich lathery front but with a simple mid palate. Light hints of honey and spiced clove to sweet nutmeg mixes at first. The aftertaste is where the beer really shines. Large coatings of vanilla and thick creamy sweetness run down the throat on the swallow. Whipped up cream like flavors and character. A touch noticeably gassy though, some playful peppery carbonation makes some play but also brings hot overly mineral qualities as well. Sweetness here is absolutely dialed in to perfection

A solid decent tripel, with some minor quibbles for myself. Very nice drinking here.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4 | BA Generated Score: 4.04

-----------------

#33 Smakawhat, Feb 19, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  34. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (4,350) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

Happy NBS everyone, hope everyone is doing well. Time to celebrate a great and long weekend with a bunch of new beers. This weekend we had our conference tournament for wrestling and we are taking two kids to states and on top of that we got coach of the year and the sportsmanship awards for the conference, hard to believe me and the head coach went from 1-13 three years ago to 9-4, so proud of my wrestlers! Now on to the beer! First up 2SP Solar Baby!
    4.07/5 rDev 0%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pint on draft. A hazy straw color with a small white head. Nose has some pale malts, honey, hops are a little tropical, floral, some resin. Taste is citrus, some tropical hops, touch of pine, pale malts, honey. Smooth, light to medium body. A solid pale ale with honey, was hoping the galaxy hops would be more up front, but it is truly hopped like a pale ale not an IPA.
    [​IMG]

VABA, bret717, dee4maine and 32 others like this.
  35. beerloserLI

beerloserLI Savant (998) Apr 2, 2011 New York
    Trader

Happy Sunday NBS players. Just an absolute beautiful day here on the island. The suns shinning, the temps will be peaking in the high 50's, and aside from the last patches of snow on the ground it's pretty much spring here. Got the heat off and the windows open. It's even better that I have a three day weekend and can really get into today with plenty of beer. I was going to try and hit the sand city can release but my lazy ass didn't get up till 9ish.

My first new beer today is Free Flow ipa, from Otter Creek brewing. The brew checks in at 6% abv, and 60 ibu. Seen a bunch of good ba's enjoying it and finally saw it on the shelves here.

A straw blonde color on the pour with low carbonation and a fast head. The nose is full of hop zest. Very hop forward on the initial sip, and a nice fluent flow that finishes pleasantly bitter. The hops really slap you in the face on every sip. Notes of citrus fruit like lemon, orange, and grapefruit. Hazy and sharp pine, and an almost wine quality to it. The mouth feel is on the lighter side but it remains full flavored.

Overall, just very nice stuff. I personally would even consider it a session ipa and one of the best out there. So far my now top three session ipa's are this, singlecut 18-watt, and carton boat. I'm in the solid low 4's here.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

36. richj1970

richj1970 Poo-Bah (2,216) Oct 26, 2012 Alabama
    Society Trader

Sorry that I haven't been as regular on NBS lately as I would like, but it seems like something has gotten in the way many of the past several weeks.

Today's new beer is a long time want that comes to me via the generous @SomethingClever.

Founder's Backwoods Bastard is one of my all time favorite beers, so I've always wanted to try Wulver as a comparison.

Some notes below in the review, but the summary is that this is an outstanding beer. Just a touch thin and a little heavy handed on the bourbon.

I personally prefer Backwoods slightly more, and I've heard it is more price competitive.

[​IMG]

Poured from 12 oz bottle. Thanks to @SomethingClever for the opportunity to check this one out!

A: Rich dark reddish brown with one finger light tan head. Fairly short retention and moderate lacing. Amazingly clear for a darker beer.

S: Caramel and bourbon dominate. Some vanilla, raisins, and dates.

T: Toffee, caramel, vanilla, and bourbon. Subtle hints of cherries.

M: Medium body with light carbonation. A little thin and watery in texture. Alcohol is well hidden.

O: Excellent BA wee-heavy. Very enjoyable and a real treat.

37. lester619

lester619 Devotee (470) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin

:wink::grinning:
    I wrestled from sixth grade through high school. There's nothing better to teach kids mental and physical toughness. Not that it did it for me, but it works on most people.

38. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (5,001) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

A balmy 50-55 degrees this morning, partly cloudy and super-comfortable, for my first time ever attending a brewery release... took the 40 minute ride out to Northport for Sand City's can release of Washed Up IPA and Power of One DIPA - I wouldn't have even known about it were it not for fellow LI natives @guinness77 and @beerloserLI talking about it yesterday in WBAYDN... I am not a fan of the notion of waiting on line for beer, especially when said line stretches around the block - but I made the trip and I decided to commit.

Not a good feeling wondering if you're waiting for nothing, only to be turned away when your time is near because the beer sold out, but Sand City had a couple of dudes walk the line, obviously counting the people waiting - and BA - I'm not one to sit quietly by - I called out to both dudes for updates on the remaining stock :rolling_eyes: - and while both dudes were careful with their words (e.g., "you're probably good" and "it looks decent") - I took the fact that they weren't turning us away as a sign to stay committed to the wait, even though I have my principled doubts about the necessity of such an action...

I was only in it for a 4-pack of each, but after an hour on a line, I decided to double up and grab 2 of each - a risky proposition for beers I've never had before...
    [​IMG]
    And there ya have it... Uploaded pics of both cans to the site, and officially reported that Washed Up is clearly not a retired beer... :sunglasses:

Hey, I wouldn't mention this shit here in NBS if I hadn't already tried both beers, right?

So here ya go...
    [​IMG]
    OMG - I've never had a beer the day it was released before, so freshness is presumably in play here - this Citra and Simcoe IPA is awesome! Pour looks like grapefruit juice - thoroughly opaque light golden color with an ivory head that'll leave some sheeting behind. Aromas of tropical, orchard, and citrus fruits are followed by much of the same on the sip - very typical of the New England-style of IPA that's all the rage these days, and impeccably executed. Plush, lush, and soft, amply carbonated and smooth across the tongue. Moderate bitterness and mild sweetness, with a clean finish that calls for more beer...

[​IMG]
    An 8.2% DIPA brewed with Galaxy and Nelson hops - far as I know, canned either yesterday or today... Having this shortly after having their Washed Up IPA, and the New England-stylings are very similar - looks the color of grapefruit juice, opaque, washed out gold, with a finger-plus of lacy foam that left some trails of lace down the glass. Aromas on this were of the "dank" citrus type - suggestive of a variety of pale fruits, but with something of an earthy edge. Flavors in line with the nose, dark grapefruit pith and musky white wine grapes - super-plush and smooth, well-carbonated and clean-finishing - again, the bitterness is moderate but tighter than their Washed Up IPA, and the sweetness mild, but there was something of a Sweetart-like tang on the finish; nonetheless making for a clean-finishing drink that is easily follow-able by another...

Wow. Crazy good beers to start my day. Had my first Sand City beer yesterday, BTW...

Guttersnipe IPA...
    [​IMG]
    Golden hazy body, lacy white head, aromas of citrus and flowers and grains; juicy with lemon and grapefruit, edged with clean, green pine; smooth and soft, medium-light body, ample carbonation; well-bittered and tight on the finish. Well-done. 2/2/17 canning.

Also had Hop Showers from Other Half...
    [​IMG]
    Hazy medium gold/peach color with couple of fingers of white head; lots of juicy fruit on the nose and tongue, lush and ripe orchard-type impressions, maybe something akin to melon and green mango underneath; soft carbonation and plush bitterness - a great take on that NE-style IPA...

Man, you just can't get away from them New England-style IPAs, can ya? No wonder, them being awesome and all. Alright, I'm onto my final sips of Power of One, with nothing but more of the same and a bevy of other new beers in the fridge. You might be hearing more from me later, NBS...

Here's to new beer in your glass - cheers! :wink:

39. Barnoloid

Barnoloid Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2015 Illinois

Greetings NBSers. It seems like much of the US is enjoying a sun kissed sunday set up nicely for sipping new suds (be they winners or duds). Despite the warm weather there is a pleasant chill in the air that begs for a stout.

I picked this up at the store on Friday and was drawn in by the description. label, and being that it comes from Pipeworks I thought it worth a try. I found out after that some of the proceeds go to charity too - so that's a win win in my book.

So Muddy Monk - a typically uniquely put together Pipeworks stout with not one, two or even three but 5 adjuncts added. I think this came out last October/Nov, so perhaps those flavors are mingling well after that time.

[​IMG]

Really pleasing mocha head on this one - very inviting

[​IMG]

This is a fun stout. Lots of layers with the added flavors, which each bring a little something different to the table. Raisin and almond dominates when you get a whiff on this, along with baker's chocolate. A taste of fig cake comes in with that dried fruit addition and the blueberry mingles within there too. Coconut fairly low in the blend, not really getting much of it. Boozy and bold yet also some mellow tones in here, like a mid period Queen album (think 'Night at the Opera' or 'Day at the Races'). You get the big, brash blend of fruit flavors but the solid base and luxurious medium-thick body on this allows for something of a balance to proceedings. Sweet? Yes definitely, but not to the point of overwhelming. All that being said, taking down a full bottle solo might be a task. Subtle? Not really - but if you are looking for a beer to put a smile on your face and satisfy your sweet tooth then this will do the trick.

Great fun, and its partly for charidee mate!

40. dennis3951

dennis3951 Meyvn (1,011) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

On the Off Chance from Twin Elephant Brewing. This beer is a bit different to say the least. The brewery calls it a hybrid of a German Kolsch and a California Common. This beer does not look like a Kolsch but has a nice bready aroma and malt backbone. It does look like Anchor Steam. They use a lager yeast at high temp and German Hops that make floral and give it a nice dry finish. I guess if you want to make a Kolsch Califorina Common hybrid this is about how it should turn out. It's a enjoyable drinkable brew and since it's 65 and sunny out I'll finish this growler outside on the deck watching the snow melt.

bret717, WesMantooth, aoampm and 23 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.