New Beer Sunday (Week 645)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cjgiant, Jul 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,183) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

It's hot!

No, I mean it's really hot!!

It's freakin' burning up in here!!! Seriously!!!!

This is what my car told me this week on the way to work. Luckily I had decided to go the back roads and pulled over into a parking lot while something under the hood smoldered. Even more fortunately the GF was still at home and brought me the coolant I needed to get back home. I'm not a car guy, and rarely check my fluids; did it finally catch up to me? Given that the reservoir was almost empty by the time I got home, I determined I need to get the car to the shop to find a coolant leak of some sort.

What does this have to do with beer?

Nothing, but it is indicative of a story we might like to hear from you on this thread. However, that is not them main thing we want to read about. Mainly we want to know your personal analysis of the new beer in your glass. Is this beer the next hot thing? Or is it a steaming pile of...? Don't go blazing through your beer or your post. Everyone has the low weekly payment of sharing a thoughtful analysis of the new beer they are drinking. We feel that's a scorcher of a deal.

So yes, we want to know about the look, smell, taste, feel you get from a beer. Of course, we can get that from your review, as well (you are adding your reviews, right?). Give us your full thoughts or a synopsis of them and a link to that review. Feel free to spice up your post with a little something extra about the beer, the brewery, and/or the path that led you to it.

So, if you are warming up to the thought of fully reviewing beers, you'll have an audience here. If you've been a part of this thread in the past, we burn to hear from you again.

Fire away, BAs!!

LeRose, TongoRad, EMH73 and 52 others like this.
  2. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (5,067) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society

There's something nice about waking up to a beautiful summer morning and having the place all to myself (well, the dogs are with me, but you know what I mean). After breakfast I am going to the practice range and work on my swing some more. Then we're heading to my sister's for a cookout. It will be crazy, with nine grandkids running around. I have been charged with the task of supplying the beer. There will be no craft drinkers besides me, so what do I bring? I think the solution will be some Sam Adams and some SNPA. That should please the beer drinkers.

Speaking of Sierra Nevada, today's new beer is Beer Camp Dry-Hopped Berliner-Style Weisse, a collaboration with Saint Arnold Brewing Company. It has an ABV of 4.2%.
    It is a bright gold color with a faint haze. There is a small white head.
    Tart fruit aroma. Grainy.
    Tart lemon taste. A little grape. Bready background.
    Light-bodied. Crisp and dry,
    Good summer beer.

[​IMG]

LeRose, TongoRad, EMH73 and 60 others like this.
  3. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,957) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Great start, @cjgiant, and it is soooo hot here too. The acoustic quartet played last night and yday afternoon I had to practice the entire list in the only room in my house w/o AC, and I sweat through my clothes. Totally primal scene hitting drum skins with sweaty hands and drops flying.

Enough from me about the heat, though, since we all have the perfect antidote, and I will be back in a little while with one I hope will be delicious as well as refreshing to share with y'all. See ya then.

LeRose, TongoRad, SABERG and 27 others like this.
  4. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,556) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Cheers @cjgiant and I am ready to throw down this week here on NBS. I have a beer that I think could pass for the new style variation the New England or Northeast IPA.

You remember the old tv show soap. What a laugh. It ended with questions. IS there something wrong with my beer? Is this beer really a new style? Is anyone around here gonna make one of these? These and other questions will be answered this week on NBS!

Stillwater Nu Tropic

This week I have a beer that could be considered to be in the neipa style. The questions as to whether it's a good one will help us determine if that is a legitimate variation on the style or if something perhaps is not just different but wrong.

Stillwater Nu Tropic

Happy You're Beer Is Not Finished Sunday

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Pours with a sweet haze, deliberate or not. Not completely opaque. Big head of cream colored foam that fell well.

Nose is mango and a fruity sweetness from passion fruit. Lightly herbal. Spice form hops, hop pepper and cracker malt. Drinks like a tradtional hop bomb IPA. Lots of fruit but not heavy from a bitter hop mouthfeel. It does however have an IPA strength bitterness. It's also light silky and juicy. The dominant citrus taste in the finish is grapefruit juice. A little abv also peppers the finish. The bitterness is strong but the body of the beer is soft. There is a little juicy sweetness. A light smooth touch from malt.

Light to drink and refreshing.

Does it meet the style in appearance. In this beer I had a range of stuff in it from small to pretty big chunks. In some beers the stuff falls out fine like four by the end of the glass. These were varying degrees of what I think is protein and fruit pulp. In the last pour I held back the last 2 ounces to see if there was sediment. 1st pour no sediment, 2nd big sediment. The last pour did have chunks in it. That is what these are called. Bigger than sea monkeys not as flakey as snow globes. Was darn delicious too.

The appearance was terrible by any standard with the big chunks in it.

LeRose, TongoRad, EMH73 and 60 others like this.
  5. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,538) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

All About the Benjamins!

Ben Franklin era beers that is since the 4th of July is just two days away!!

The brewers of Colonial America did not have a steady supply of beer ingredients (e.g., barley malt, hops,…) so they would be inventive and utilize other ingredients that were more readily available to them. As substitutes and/or augmentation for barley malt they would ingredients like pumpkin, parsnip, molasses,… As substitutes and/or augmentation for hops they would use other botanicals like yarrow, sweet gale, mugwort, spruce tips,…

So, today we are going to explore what fresh growth spruce tips provide to beer. Today’s tasting will be a 2 X 4 tasting: two beers in four glasses and my wife will be helping me.

One beer is a commercial beer: Blue Point Colonial Ale brewed with Golden Molasses & Spruce Tips.

On the bottle it lists: American Brown Ale 3.8% ABV. So in the Colonial times this would be referred to as a Small Beer since it is lower in alcohol.

There is an interesting story on the beer label:

“After being elected President, George Washington toured Long Island and stopped by hart’s Tavern in our brewery’s hometown of Patchogue for some oysters and a beer. In honor of the monumental meal, we brewed an American brown ale inspired by the era and George Washington’s own recipe. It proudly features two-row barley malted in NY and colonial ingredients like corn, oats, wheat, molasses and spruce tips which colonial brewers used to supplement hops. American history never tastes so good.”

The second beer we will be exploring today is my homebrewed Spruce Ale which was brewed using fresh growth spruce tips from my next door neighbor’s Blue Spruce tree. My beer is basically an APA where I used four ounces of freshly picked spruce tips (I picked them while the wort was boiling) as the end of boil addition. I have never brewed with spruce tips before so this is quite an exciting ‘experiment’.

The Blue Point beer served in Spiegelau IPA glasses and Jack’s Spruce Ale served in small tulip glasses:

Appearance

Blue Point: Dark Amber/Brown with an off-white head.

Jack’s Spruce Ale: Golden colored with a white head.

Aroma

Blue Point: Mostly malty (dark bready) but with just a tiny hint of sweetness.

Jack’s Spruce Ale: The predominant aroma is a unique/intriguing aroma from the spruce tips*.

Taste:

Blue Point: The flavor pretty much follows the nose with the malty flavors dominating. My wife reported “subtle flavors from the spruce tips”. I personally did not perceive the spruce until the very last sip; because the beer was warmed/opened up at that point?

Jack’s Spruce Ale: The flavor follows the nose with the unique/intriguing flavors provided by the spruce tips*.

Mouthfeel

Blue Point: A medium body and a medium-dry finish.

Jack’s Spruce Ale: A medium mouthfeel and an off-dry finish.

Overall

Blue Point: Very good. Despite its low ABV I consider this to be a hearty beer.

Jack’s Spruce Ale: My wife wrote down: “Very, very good!”

*So, I used the descriptor of spruce tip aroma/flavor since I personally am at a loss of words to use for a more ‘objective’ description. Last weekend I attended a friends party and I brought along a few bottles of this spruce ale and gave folks pieces of paper and a pen and requested them to write down the aromas/flavors they perceived, This was not done blind; I felt compelled to provide a ‘warning’ that is was a Spruce Ale they were tasting. Some of the feedback I got was: “evergreen” and “grapefruit pith”. For me this beer’s aroma/flavor is not exactly “piney” or “resiny” but something different altogether. In a nutshell it does not smell or taste like anything else that I have personally experienced. As I made mention above: an ‘exciting’ experiment!!

Cheers!

@KOP_Beer_OUtlet @rotsaruch @ @RobH @zid

[​IMG]

Below is a photograph of my neighbor's Blue Spruce Tree:

[​IMG]

And here are the fresh growth spruce tips I picked from the tree:

[​IMG]

RobH, LeRose, TongoRad and 56 others like this.
  6. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (4,006) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Mornin' NBSers, with thanks to you @cjgiant for the start today.

My story of "almost missing the boat" involves beer rather than our car and illustrates what for me has been one of the big benefits of joining into the discussions on this thread.

Triggered by the description of the Moder Times Fortunate Islands by @CanConPhilly in last week's NBS, I grabbed one for today off the shelf the very next morning. The shop where I bought the Blazing World that I decibed last week was the only place I'd seen any of them. On my first visit they had the Blazing World, the Fortunate Islands and the Black House Stout (also described last week by @CanConPhilly). When I got to the shop the Blazing World was all gone and the can of Fortunate Islands I picked up for tonight's new beer was the last one on the rack. Interestingly, there were still 3 of that stout left. I think that and the description we saw last week may be telling us something about the relative popularity of the three Modern Times beers that got to retail shelves around here.

Lots of chores and errands today but expect I'll be back this evening or late in the afternoon to talk about what I thought of the Fortunate Islands.

LeRose, TongoRad, seakayak and 24 others like this.
  7. cjgiant

Society

Funny how your description of the beer made me think of the new beer I had yesterday, EBK [warning shot]. They seem as though they have similar makeup and juice/bitter ratio. If you "believe" in the substyle, I'd say that the one I had makes it into the circle (the brewery is billing it as a NE IPA). The light to moderate alcohol burn in it sort of cut through the softness a tad, though.

8. drtth

Jack,

For what it's worth I recently (just a few days ago) had another bottle of the Poor Richard's Tavern Spruce (doing some quality assurance to know that the Yard's Ales of the Revolution we intend to serve at our upcoming party on the porch would pass the freshness muster. :-) )

I've also had bits of spruce flavors over the years for several reasons (including finding and cutting down a Blue Spruce we were to use as a Christmas Tree one year). When cut down your own tree it's very difficult to not get some of the resin on yourself.

I still have found no words other than "spruce" to describe that flavor. For me evergreen doesn't get down in the weeds deep enough to deal with what is unique about the aroma/flavor of Spruce. I do think there's a subtle bit of resin in there, but it's way in the background and is, for me, different in it's own way from other pine resin's I've tasted.

So, I've been searching for the right words for quite a while now and I'm begining to believe the only way to get a sense of what spruce tastes like is to taste it for one's self.

LeRose, TongoRad, meefmoff and 19 others like this.
  9. cjgiant

Society

Modern Times hit here about 2 weeks ago, and you just reminded me I have a coffee beer by them. I now know my first beer for this week. Also await your take on Fortunate Islands. A quick check of my score indicates I enjoyed it.

10. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (4,008) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Good morning New BSers! Well, it's starting off a lovely day here in tropical NW PA - steamy and warm, just the way I like it. Seriously, I love the heat and humidity! I have (re)discovered that getting old isn't for the weak - I can barely work four hours outside without stopping to rest. What I do is this - work four hours outside at my son's house cutting back the jungle in preparation to paint, pop a cheap beer, drive home, pop a Gatorade, work in my garage sorting and rearranging until I'm bored, then knock off for the night, followed by a Headhunter. My only home project this year is build a reloading bench but first I need a place for it, hence the sorting and rearranging.

Well, thanks @cjgiant for starting us off at a decent time and thanks Maria for your usual insightful take on a new beer. @JackHorzempa - I've also used blue spruce tips in a home brew and found they impart a unique flavor, not really a piney resin, but to me a little kinder gentler resinous quality. I didn't use molasses in mine, just barley, so that probably changed the perception a bit.

Well, this week's NBS entry is:

Purchased at Bierteck in Bamberg, DE. Exact price unknown but only a couple of Euros.
    0.5 Liter flip-top bottle stored at 42 degrees and served at 42 degrees in a hand washed and dried Jester King snifter. Dated 11.01.18.
    Aroma – very distinct toasted malt. Lasts the entire beer.
    Head – large (Maximum 5.3 cm, aggressive pour), light tan, low density, short retention time, diminishing to an irregular three to six mm ring and a rocky partial layer.
    Lacing – poor. Just a few tiny islands.
    Body – dark brown, clear.
    Flavor – very toasted malt forward, just a touch of bitterness. No discreet hops flavor or aroma. No alcohol, no diacetyl.
    Palate – medium, approaching creamy, soft carbonation.

An excellent beer! This is one of my suitcase beers which traveled from Bamberg to Nurnberg to Frankfurt to Toronto to home. Somehow I didn’t make it to Klosterbrau on my recent trip to Bamberg which was definitely my loss. Next trip I’ll split between Klosterbrau and Schlenkerla.

Appearance 4.5, Aroma 4.5, Flavor 5, Palate 4.5, Overall 4.5. Rating 4.7, rDev +17.8%.

LeRose, TongoRad, SawDog505 and 53 others like this.
  11. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,538) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Tom, the fresh growth tips are edible. Some folks will pick them and use them in their salads. I ate a few of the fresh growth tips before finally deciding to brew with them and I am incapable of describing their taste in objective terms. What I can report is that the flavors of eating the spruce tips were different from what they contributed to the beer. Spruce tips are an enigmatic 'vegetable'.

Cheers!

12. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,957) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Indeed. Also, inner bark of spruce is a survival food, and one of the few edible flora avail. for gathering in winter.

#12 cavedave, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  13. drtth

I don't remember ever having them in a salad, but agree completely that for me their flavor profile remains indescribable. But it does make sense that the flavors of the fresh tips would change a bit when used in a salad rather than in brewing a beer.

In any event, my bottom line is that I'm one of those who enjoys a spruce beer once in a while so I'm just glad the Yard's version is so easily available that we can serve it at our upcoming party.

14. dennis3951

dennis3951 Meyvn (1,008) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

In my experience the 2 best beers to bring for non-craft drinkers are Sierra Nevada Summerfest or Anchor California Lager. In fact I have 2 friends who blame me for introducing them to California Lager because it costs them $$!

15. Bluecrow

Bluecrow Poo-Bah (1,620) Jul 16, 2012 New York
    Society

I have brewed a sahti with spruce tips and juniper berries that has some of the flavors of the BluePoint Colonial. Best wishes regarding brewing and tasting efforts. I will look for Jack's Spruce Ale.

16. Bluecrow

Bluecrow Poo-Bah (1,620) Jul 16, 2012 New York
    Society

Stillwater's Insetto is a dry, tart treat on this hot and humid morning. A rose colored can pour with a 1 cm foam cap immediately dissipates. The aroma is apple-earthy. The fruit flavors include grape, plum and some peach. This is quite tart, but also finishes dry. The flavors linger. This a a refreshing and interesting kettle sour.
    [​IMG]

LeRose, TongoRad, SawDog505 and 45 others like this.
  17. cjgiant

Society

I would agree, a good "craft" lager would be a solid option to go with. With both the local Devil's Backbone and the ubiquitous SA Boston Lager being go to choices for many non-craft, non-AAL drinkers around me, I'd say a Vienna Lager of some sort generally works out well, too (I assume @lordofthewiens meant SA Boston Lager, but maybe he was thinking of the Summerfest or whatever seasonal is on now).

18. cjgiant

Society

I had that on tap two weekends ago when we met up with @BJB13. He mixed up the glasses of what he and I had ordered, but it didn't take us long to figure out which was which (he had ordered a pale ale). I don't have much to add on the review side, as we were enjoying conversation, but I agree with the thinking that it is a refreshing sour option.

19. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (6,817) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

Thanks for the great start @cjgiant. Should be back with a special brew for today's NBS.

Cheers!

20. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (3,145) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Society Trader

I recently had a party and served Oberon and Summerfest. The Oberon was a huge hit among the non-craft drinkers in the group.

21. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,379) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey

[​IMG]
    This is here because of the new recipe. From my review.....

Clear gold. Film of lacing sticks around.
    Slight funky wheaty hop scent. Slight lemon pepper smell. Herbal. Taste is herbaceous. Slight lemony orange hop that's very subtle. lemon pepper. Grassy. Herbal. Medium carbonation. Less carbonation than i remember. tang to it. I must say though it has an orange sweetness that reminds me of say the classic lagunitas profile. Not a mimic. But it triggers a lagunitas memory. Reminds me of this natural orange wine I had in upstate NY. But at the same time it is in no way orange-y. Kind of dry.

I like this new rendition more so than the memory of the original. It's very good

LeRose, TongoRad, ManapuaMan and 40 others like this.
  22. cjgiant

Society

Ok, so as I picked up the Modern Times beers on our way to that meet up in Baltimore, I grabbed the MT "brews" I saw, as I wanted to try a range of their offerings. As a bad consumer, I missed that the one can was a cold brewed coffee. Not brewed malt, hops, etc.

Oh well, I never claimed I would be the one to tell y'all what it's like to lead a life without faults. (Ok, the GF just gave me a look - maybe I have claimed that, but I stand by the qualifier "not to you BAs")

Oh well, live; learn; adjust; adapt....
    [​IMG]

To not have totally lied, I will go with a new Modern Times beer, Fruitlands with Passion Fruit and Guava. I am going to assume this is the same as the listed "with guava and passion fruit" in the BA database :wink:.

My thoughts on this beer started high, became couched, and then settled in thinking that this is a subtle beer that is refreshingly well done.

[​IMG]

Okay, that description is a bit hyperbolic. Take out "frighteningly," and I can get behind the first statement. Take out "funky" and I am totally on board with what the can is saying in the next sentence fragment. I can't speak to the level of fruits used, but "wall-to-wall tropical fruit fiesta" is where I would start to interrupt the can. I do find it to be a nice mix of the ingredients, but unless the can thinks a "fruit-filled asteroid" is a way of saying "somewhat subtle," we'd have to disagree here as well.

Light tartness and salinity grows more tart, and seems to show both featured fruits, and ends refreshingly with a little influence from a light earthy spice. A nice, moderately sour, refreshing Gose, to me. And that's good enough to be enjoyable.

LeRose, Ozzylizard, TongoRad and 43 others like this.
  23. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,379) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey

8.99 around here. Around the same as a 6 of Bud because it's the shore. More worth it. Love California lager.

24. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,429) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Brunch brew . . .

[​IMG]

Score 3.9
    look: 3.75 | aroma: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Not quite blood red but it darn sure is red with a sustaining cream color cap and lacing.

Surprisingly complex aroma of orange and hops with neither dominating but both entwined seamlessly. The brewer lists nine different hop varieties in this brew and I can't identify a single one but the harmony of this scent is remarkable.

Taste is exceptional managing to be both simple and complex at the same time. Darned if I know how but it is. On entry there is a sense of body more than flavor with orange present but subdued then hops so mingled with orange they present a combined flavor that still show enough separate identity to recognize both are present. I think I can identify some citrus hop characteristics, some zest and perhaps tropical fruit presenting a firm but refreshing bitterness to the finish. The aftertaste has a mild nuttiness that I suspect comes from the grain bill. Not much, just enough to notice and it's nice.

Medium texture with balancing carbonation.

I did not notice any alcohol in the flavor and wouldn't have been aware it is 7.7% without reading the label. Also the 73 BU is apparent only in intensity of flavor and not bitterness. Remarkable brew, very rewarding.

25. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (3,145) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Enjoying a lazy Sunday morning. Like most other places, it's already hot here, so this local kettle-soured beer is a nice accompaniment with breakfast:

Sweet Tart Sour, TailGate Beer, Nashville, TN
    [​IMG]

A nice-looking beer (although I think almost all beer looks nice:grinning:). There was a hazy golden color with a frothy and generous white head. The foam settled at a brisk pace, leaving a few laces. Aromas of citrus zest, wheat, and a hint of that kettle-sour lactic acid scent. Not off-flavors or offensive, but definitely there. The beer tasted as billed, pleasingly tart but not overdone. I tasted mostly grapefruit, but other citrus notes were there. A fresh, kind of generic fruity tartness left my palate on the back. Not overly sweet, but I can see people identifying this with Sweet Tarts. Clean and dry on the finish. The feel was medium-bodied and not too thin, my favorite part of this brew. Very enjoyable! Cheers!

26. Peekaboolu

Peekaboolu Initiate (61) May 24, 2016 Germany
    Trader

Happy New Beer Sunday to everyone. Today I am drinking a Quadrupel from La Trappe brewery. I have had most of the other well known quads (i.e. St. Bernarus, Rochefort, Westvletern, etc) so I am excited to see how this compares to them.

[​IMG]

The apperance is lighter than other quads I have had and is a light brown to ruby red color.

The aroma is dark, ripe fruits, alcohol and maybe a bit of dark chocolate.

The taste is very sweet upfront, with notes of plums and other dark fruits. Following that comes a more peppery, spicey flavor that eventually gives away to a slightly alcoholic taste. I can feel a bit of warmth from the alcohol and the creaminess from the yeast does a decent job at balancing everything out.

Overall it's is a complex beer that is more peppery than other quads that I have had. I would have to say that it isn't my favorite from the "quad line up" but it's still an enjoyable beer and I'm glad to have the opportunity to finally try it out.

Hopefully everyone else is enjoying their Sunday and their new beer(s)!

27. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (4,914) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

Good morning, NBS friends and family. Thanks for the wonderful intro, CJ; I assure you it is blisteringly hot down here in SE GA.

Today's new beer is a long time want of mine, and my obtaining it warrants a brief story.

I have been meaning to go beer shopping for a week now, especially to restock on stouts. Because I can get IPAs at Publix (including Jai Alai), I keep putting off this trip. Yesterday after grocery shopping I stopped by the only local package store that has anything decent. This is a beer wasteland, and normally I'd make the drive to Jax for beer shopping, but I figured if they have a six pack or bomber of a stout, it would scratch the itch.

Boy, was I surprised to find a row of Mexican Cake in the fridge!

We do get Westbrook here, but that's usually represented by old IPAs. I grabbed four without hesitation or remorse.

Without further exposition, then, here is Westbrook's Mexican Cake, in my favorite glass, a Spiegelau tulip.

[​IMG]

For comparison and full disclosure, my favorite beer (not my highest rated beer) is Prairie Bomb!. Certainly, the two are going to be compared and contrasted.

First off, this is a very different beer, despite the superficial similarities (chocolate, vanilla, and peppers in a high ABV stout). Bomb! has much more of a malty quality, and of course it has coffee. The ancho chilies in Bomb! add a vegetal green flavor along with a small-to-medium amount of heat.

Mexican Cake, by contrast, is rich, sweet, and decadent - a true dessert stout more in line with some of Evil Twin's offerings. The vanilla is present throughout; the cinnamon impacts the front and back ends; the chocolate swirls with the vanilla, showing sweetness up front and bitterness on the back end more akin to baker's chocolate.

The habanero peppers add a lovely layer of spice and heat. They show up almost immediately, building to their highest level of heat around the middle third. They mostly fade on the back end, lingering along with the cinnamon to remind you of the spice level without declaring their presence - almost like a ringing echo.

As far as the heat level, it is quite manageable, probably a step above Prairie Bomb!, but restrained enough that people with palates sensitive to peppers can likely still handle it (unlike habanero Sculpin). For someone like me, who is very fond of heat and spice, but cannot handle the extremes, this brew presents is a lovingly restrained level of heat.

The alcohol is completely unnoticeable beneath the flood of flavors rushing at you at all times.

So, where did I mark off points?

-Feel is a touch thinner than I'd like. At 10.5% and not barrel aged, I think this could stand to be much thicker.
    -There is virtually no malt presence in terms of flavor. At times, a bit of char or toffee struggles to get its head above water, begging to be noticed, but it is quickly dragged back under by the vanilla, chocolate, cinnamon, and peppers.
    -Head production was modest, and retention lacking.

Overall, though, this is a damn good brew. I found myself very critically analyzing my scores, trying not to buy into the hype, and still ended up with a +rDev. Could be my fondness for Bomb! influencing me, I suppose.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24134/78011/?ba=Roguer#review
    4.44 / +1.1%

Cheers!

28. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,913) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

Howdy, NBSers!

A box of goodies from the East Coast arrived Friday, just in time for this week's installment of Sunday fun, and a big thanks to @TongoRad for the collection of new beers. Here's one of them:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Port Jeff Brewing Company's Runaway Ferry, a smoked imperial IPA

Michael knows my love of the rauchbier, so he knows I'd find the idea of a smoked DIPA quite exciting. The fact that this particular brew turns out to be 95% American DIPA and 5% smoked beer is a bit disappointing, but at the same time, just seeing that a brewer is out there trying this kind of thing is very cool.

Runaway Ferry at first blush looks, smells, tastes and feels like 120 Minute. Super thick, super syrupy and super sweet and caramely up front with a big backbite of bitter hops in the aftertaste. If the label read "American barleywine", I'd buy it. As it warms, little bitty hints of smoked malt show up in both the aroma and taste. The aroma note is mainly toasted peaches, while the flavor note is more of a true smoked-malt taste, that slightly peaty, beechwood flavor of the good rauch. These smoked-malt notes are very faint, and I'm doing my damnedest to let this sucker warm up to see if that brings them out more.

Ironically, I keep reaching for the beer for another sip despite the fact that the caramel-mangoey American DIPA is possibly my least favorite style. Call it proof that Port Jeff makes a good beer, for they've got me quite satisfied with a brew that's nowhere near my alley, much less up it.

The review:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26967/77172/?ba=Premo88#review
    3.49 (+6.1% rDev)

Thanks to Michael for letting me take a crack at this one! I'll be back with another later today.

Cheers!

29. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Poo-Bah (2,496) Mar 7, 2013 Canada
    Society Trader

Love that glass!!

Peekaboolu, zid and Lingenbrau like this.
  30. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Poo-Bah (2,747) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Good morning, NBS crew! With most of this week taken up by packing, moving, then unpacking, I haven't had a whole lot of time to savor a beer. I'm finally caught up though, so I am allowing myself a day of rest (and of course, beer) as a reward.

One of the nicest features of my new place (besides a deck!) is a set of built-in shelves. You may have guessed what I used these shelves for...
    [​IMG]
    Opens up to this...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nice to have a dedicated space for them all now!

Anyhoo, somehow I've never managed to try Doom, so when I saw one today at my local, I had to snag it. Have always wanted to try this one.
    [​IMG]
    Founders - Doom IIPA
    12.4% abv - 4/27/17 (65 days old)

Purchased for $5.99 at Monde Market.

Pours a deep copper orange. Even with a conservative pour a massive head emerges, and lingers much longer than for a typical ipa.

Smell is overwhelming. The first things I get are orange, caramel, molasses, and vanilla. Bourbon is there but in the background.

Taste switches the priorities. All bourbon at first, then some vanilla and orange. Very pronounced alcohol harshness, which I personally dislike in an ipa.

Mouthfeel is on the fuller side of medium.

Overall, I feel like this was the wrong time to drink this. Presumably a good portion of the hop flavor has faded now at 2 months, but the bourbon has not yet had time to mellow. Thinking this would be a completely different experience at 6 months.

LeRose, Ozzylizard, TongoRad and 47 others like this.
  31. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Poo-Bah (2,747) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Besides the 3 you mentioned, I also saw Orderville bottles at Monde. $9 a bomber I believe. Was going to pick one up, but then remembered that @cjgiant and I got to try this during PBW...and it wasn't one of their better brews (although we were all tipsy at that point).

DoctorZombies, VABA, cjgiant and 3 others like this.
  32. dennis3951

dennis3951 Meyvn (1,008) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Proximity Mines At The Spawn another silly name (it a reference to a James Bond movie) for a very nice American Pale Ale from Twin Elephant. The grain bill has some oats in it giving this brew a nice soft mouth feel. The hops used are Southern Cross and Eldorado giving it a nice bitter flavor and finish. The brewery claims an English yeast is used so i guess this beer could be called an ESB. It pours a hazy gold color and is easy drinking at 5.5 % ABV. A nice refreshing summer beer.

LeRose, Ozzylizard, TongoRad and 25 others like this.
  33. Ri0

Ri0 Poo-Bah (3,034) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society

Happy NBS! Enjoying a cold one at the Estabrook Beer Garden in Whitefish Bay WI with my brother in law (I have on the hat). Now this is what summer is to me. :sunglasses:

It is clear and bright golden color with 2 finger white head and minimal lacing. The smell is rather neutral with some fruit notes, bit of yeast and lighter malt. Taste is light and refreshing with the hints of bread and light fruit notes with a slightly yeast aftertaste. All in all very nice and balanced beer, that was easy to enjoy in quantity.

[​IMG]

LeRose, Ozzylizard, TongoRad and 39 others like this.
  34. TheDoctor

Society Trader

Hey NBS-ites!
    Another week, another awful cycle of pouring rain followed by heat and stifling humidity, followed by more rain, and so on. I keep telling myself that the whole summer probably won't be like this and then, BAM, it's July and I'm worried that it actually will.

Anyway, in the interest of willing it to be nicer out in a more constant way, I am going to start today with a mystery saison from Ontario that a buddy gave me this past week. I am a big saison fan and also a big fan of trying the exotic-seeming beers that are excluded by the draconian liquor system that exists here in Quebec. All of that to say that, luckily for me, even if it's bad I'll be happy.

***knock on wood***

Twenty Mile Farmhouse Ale from Bench Brewing Company out of Beamsville, Ontario.

[​IMG]

Let's see if it's up to snuff.

[​IMG]

This beer is a decent saison at first glance, whiff, taste and feel. However as it warms a little it gets some extra dough flavor, flabbiness and phenolic character. Though it it's neither bad nor filled with off flavors, it does get progressively less enjoyable and less easy-drinking with each sip.

Like I say, I am really happy to try this beer at all. It wasn't a drainpour, but it wasn't a beer I had to pace myself on, either. Also, it is now getting cloudy again so my voodoo may have backfired.:slight_frown::grimacing:

I would be into trying other things from Bench, but I wouldn't seek out this particular one in the future.

Here is my actual review if anyone cares.

Have a great Sunday and I might be back later on if I'm feeling frisky! We'll see...

Santé!

LeRose, Ozzylizard, TongoRad and 39 others like this.
  35. TheDoctor

Society Trader

Awesome hidden glass grotto!

That is the main worry I had when I saw that beer start to show up on here. I am not a big enough bourbon fan to have it with everything. It is really well-suited to certain things to my tastes, I don't know that hoppiness is one of those things.

36. cjgiant

Society

Ok, in the category of "I swear I am not making this up..."

So, on Sunday mornings, as we sip a couple beers we occasionally watch HGTV. On this Sunday AM, we are doing so and watching Fixer Upper. In this episode, they choose to (move and) renovate a "shotgun house." The GF and I shook out heads at the selection of the house, but it's not our house, so who cares what we think.

So yet another post where you might be wondering what this has to do with beer...

So, as I am looking in the fridge, I see a bottle the GF had bought a couple weeks ago, a DIPA. Figured we probably should get to it sooner than later, so I grabbed it. Out I go into the heat of the day to get a photo. As I focus in on the bottle, I notice that the label art is almost a graphic of the house the Gaines were fixing up. The beer is called Shotgun Double IPA from Abita, and I just mindlessly assumed the name had something to do with the gun type, not the house type. Shotgun houses are a southern construct, and Abita is from Louisiana, so the concept isn't a stretch at all.

Given the mechanics of a shotgun blast, you might get the idea of the size of the house (or you could just check out the link). Anyhow, I started laughing at the irony of the beer choice. I am sure that chuckle combined with the fact I was lining up the camera to take a picture of a beer on the deck on a steaming summer day would have anyone looking at me in that small slice of time thinking I was at least partly crazy.

Anyhow, the beer (and the review):
    [​IMG]

The bottle says there are "plenty of pale malts," thogh the beer seems quite dark by pale ale standards, it seems. It's bordering on a light brown, but we could go dark amber. The head is a redeeming quality here, though.

Heavily hopped, including Amarillo for bittering and dry-hopped with Simcoe, Citra, and Cascade, Abita claims this will have "intense flavors and aromas of pine, citrus, and tropical fruit." Ok, this bottle is only a month from "being bad," but the only aspect I get from this is the pine. It's sort of a pine tea mix. There isn't anything specifically out of bounds (maybe a slight cardboard aspect), but it isn't a profile I enjoy too much.

I can wonder what Abita uses for dating. If 6 months, which would be my guess, this is 5 months old, so that may not help things. The GF likes it better, so that's good.

LeRose, Ozzylizard, TongoRad and 45 others like this.
  37. cjgiant

Society

Either I am missing it or it slipped your mind since you seem to be having fun, but what is the beer you are describing?

38. r-m-kaylor

r-m-kaylor Initiate (85) Mar 14, 2017 New York

Nothing like peer pressure to get the rear in gear (thanks cjgiant...)...

As stated, today is for Mont des Cats (brewed by the brothers at Chimay with Chimay yeast) which is a quasi-franco-belgo trappiste coming in at 7.6% abv...

[​IMG]

Poured into a Chimay goblet (Appropo, methinks) a nice dark brown/red - looks like the classic Chimary Red/Rouge with a hefty white head which does not dissipate - nice...

[​IMG]

On the nose, classic Chimay yeast - dark stone fruits, belgian candi sugar, strong malt backbone....

[​IMG]

On the mouth, similar to the nose with subtle sugar, malt and Chimay yeast up front, through the middle and back. ABV is non-existent which makes this variant an extremely drinkable Trappiste offering.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Damn - too much uploading and cut-paste for my liking...C'est la Vie!

Overall, an excellent representation of a Trappiste table beer - as one would expect.

Man, oh man, what a PITA (Pain In the A**) to get this done.

Cheers!

LeRose, Ozzylizard, TongoRad and 41 others like this.
  39. cjgiant

Society

Glad you ventured over, and you really went all out! Appreciate the effort.

mikeinportc, jkblr, BJB13 and 5 others like this.
  40. beerloserLI

beerloserLI Meyvn (1,265) Apr 2, 2011 New York
    Society Trader

Happy Sunday NBS players. Just a lovely hot summer day on the island with lots of sun and a subtle breeze. Waiting for my fiance to get back from the gym and then hitting the beach for the afternoon. Knock back a few more brews and throw my fat ass in the water. Got a nice london broil marinating for dinner so its going to be a nice relaxing day. I am one of the unlucky who has to work tomorrow but fuck that noise for now.

My new beer today is Battle Axe ipa, from Kelsen brewing in derry NH. The brew checks in at 7.2% abv with a 6/14/17 canning date. I love small brewers who aren't afraid to date.

An amber blonde color on the pour with good clarity and a fast white head. I get mostly tangy hops and white wine on the nose. A big rush of tangy, tropical, and bitter hops explode on the very first sip. A smooth and mellow flow with a nicely subtle bitter finish. Strong fruit notes of pear, apple, tangerine, and grapefruit. The mouth feel is moderate to full bodied with a pale malt presence. A slight white wine feel carries over from the nose but the mix of raw hop/fruit feel really lingers very nicely on the palate after every sip.

Overall, just surprisingly very good stuff. I think the 86 ba score is respectable but I'm a bit dumbfounded by the bros 80. It really reminds me of some of the stuff that Moustache brewing, on my local level, has been putting out. I'm in the low 4/4.3 range here. I only bought one can.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

VABA, LeRose, Ozzylizard and 42 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.