New Beer Sunday (Week 647)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cjgiant, Jul 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (3,167) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

Good Morning, all of BeerAdvocate! And good whatever part of the day it is to all of you not here with us in the U.S. Regardless of the time of day and while most of us may be physically far apart, we can get together here in the virtual world and enjoy beers together. On occasion, though, you have a chance to enjoy a proximate location another beer lover, and that can be a great experience.

Such as it was for me this past Thursday, when I celebrated my 4th BAnniversary by enjoying a beer with @BJB13 (again) and @DoctorZombies for the first time. Stories and beers flowed, including a beer I was not expected to get a shot at - Cigar City's Hunahpu. The main reason for this was Dr. Z's charisma and willingness to ask if we could pop a bottle he had brought (VA does have corkage fees, and I'm not sure if we got charged or not, but I feel not). The beer was wonderful, deep and rich with a roasted smokiness with maybe a little bit of that soy sauce some mention. Forgive me if I am not recalling fully or "correctly," for while the beer was briefly discussed but was more enjoyably sipped as it accentuated the experience and the conversation for me. Maybe @BJB13 has something to add on that front.

Anyhow, so on the topic of sharing conversation and talking about beer, here we are on New Beer Sunday. What this thread is trying to do is replicate that experience, even as a shadow of the real thing. On Thursday, we shared another couple more beers and discussed each one in between stories and general conversation. To mimic this, please grab a beer that's new to you, crack it open, and analyze it. Think about its look and feel, ruminate on its scent and flavor, consider how you feel about it overall, and then tell us about it. And if you're willing to go through this "effort," go ahead and throw up an official review, especially if the beer is local (as more and more are these days), as it will reach more people than just those visiting us in our corner of the virtual bar.

While we're talking, if you do choose a local beer, we might ask if you know a little something about the beer or brewery that don't currently know? Do you have an interesting story about how you came across the beer? In between sips, maybe you can let us know something about what's happening in your life at this time. The beer is and always will be the focus here, but it doesn't have to totally consume your post (unless you want it to).

So, friends, neighbors, and beer lovers all over, find a new beer and the willingness to describe it. Put thought to keyboard and let us know what we can expect from the beer. And as you read, if you see a beer that you've tried that someone else is having for the first time, feel free to offer your thoughts (no rights or wrongs, just additional perspectives). Let's have a conversation about the qualities of the new beers we drink; please feel free to start off with one that you're having for the first time.

Cheers!!

I did have time to take a photo and post really quick the other night, here is that photo:[​IMG]

2. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (2,078) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Beer Trader

Wonderful intro!, and thanks for a fun evening of sharing beers and more...a toast to many more shares to come, here and elsewhere - Cheers!

3. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,165) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

Great reminder, @cjgiant , that New Beer Sunday is all about finding out how better to enjoy beer. I too think of this as a virtual pub.

Hunahpu's is a great beer, still remember being all disappointed some years back at a NYC pub to find out that there were no survivors of their cask festival left over from the weekend event three days earlier. Ended up picking out a beer and brewery I never heard of, principally because I love strange names. Still remember that first sip of Hunahpu's, not sure if I actually shouted but in memory seems like I did. Needless to say forgot all about the casks being kicked and we had a really great pre show.

My house is stuffed with beer, but I need to get to town to pick up something new. Funny how that works. See y'all later.:slight_smile:

BJB13, Lingenbrau, dcotom and 30 others like this.
  4. cjgiant

The Hunahpu was wonderful and while I wished I remembered its specifics better for this thread, I'm not upset I don't. The other wow! beer from the night was a cask Vietnamese Speedway Stout. It was so soft and creamy and the coffee integrated so well... but I also have no detailed notes beyond that. Guess I have multiple reasons to look forward to the next shot I get at either.

Anxiously awaiting what you find in town :slight_smile:

5. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (2,588) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Beer Trader

Good morning NBS friends and family! Today's first new beer is Clown Shoes' The Barista, a fitting choice for so early in the morning.

[​IMG]

I hope the picture copied over properly from WBAYDN?. I don't have access to pictures at this moment.

Barista is quite tasty: malt-driven, with a brown sugary base. Cream and coffee float nicely through the aroma and flavor profiles, never really driving hard, but always present. It's quite drinkable and enjoyable, full bodied and smooth.

I wouldn't think Founders has anything to worry about with this entrant into the jam-packed coffee beer landscape, but I definitely enjoyed my glass.

Cheers!

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22951/202047/?ba=Roguer#review
    3.8 / -5.7%

ManapuaMan, BJB13, FFFjunkie and 48 others like this.
  6. Squire123

Squire123 Meyvn (1,295) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi

Yes, yes, I was intrigued by the name . . .

[​IMG]

Score 3.65
    look: 3.5 | aroma: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Light hazy gold color with nice white cap and lacing.

Aroma of floral, citrusy, tropical hops with citrus being most prominent. Brewer only mentions Loral hops and if that's the only one used it is a complex bugger.

Taste is hop forward with a noticeable hard bitterness. Oddly, this bitterness does not build as the glass is emptied, rather it blends with the malt into something more rounded, as if it were smoothed out a bit. Finish is clean but aftertaste has a small burst of hop spiciness which is rather pleasant. Malt is still hiding behind the hop hedge though.

Medium texture with balancing carbonation.

Usually I can quickly log into one of three categories, it's ok, I like it, or I really like it. This brew is puzzling because it doesn't fit neatly into any of those boxes. It has stuff I like (good flavor) as well as what I view as negative (overly bitter and out of balance) so I have to score it well overall (it is well crafted) yet it's too ordinary to buy for breeding stock.

ManapuaMan, BJB13, FFFjunkie and 48 others like this.
  7. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Disciple (392) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey
    Subscriber

Have to work this morning but when I'm out later it will be motivating to search out a new beer

lester619, TongoRad and utopiajane like this.
  8. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (2,956) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Very nice beginning @cjgiant.

Turns out that I have a new beer on tap that fits nicely with some of your request. It is sort of local (not brewed here but only available here) and there's a backstory that may interest some.

As mentioned by a couple of us in an earlier thread, after Philly Beer Week there is somtimes some bleed through into the open market place.

The particular beer I'll be reporting on this evening (after a full day of chores and hydration) is one that might never have been born if it were not for Philly Beer Week. One of the Co-founders (and continuing organizers) of the first Beer Week, which started some years ago now, is a fellow named Tom Peters who is both an owner of Monk's Cafe and a big fan of Belgian beer. (You want to sample a hard to get Belgian beer, try the menu at Monks, their celler is both extensive and the bottles expensive.) Tom Peters typically puts on some really interesting events for Beer Week. For example, not too many years back he hosted a beer dinner that brought together a unique collection of lambic brewers (e.g., Frank Boon, Jean van Roy, etc.) for a dinner tasting of spontaneously fermented Belgian beers and a discussion of their work.

Tom Peters has, for a few years now also taken the initiative of bringing together a Belgian brewer whose beer he likes and a local brewer to work on a collaborative beer to be brewed one time only and just for Philly Beer Week. The local brewer goes to Belgium and the two brewers work out a recipe based on melding their individual approaches to brewing and the beer is brewed in Belgium. So for some years now we've seen the result locally with the one-time-only beer being served at Monk's during Beer Week.

This year's Philly Beer Week beer is a Belgian brewed Amercian Style Porter. As with earlier offerings there's no guarantee you'll enjoy a particular beer, but they have all been interesting to try.

So, I'll be Bach tonight with a few more details (e.g., who are the Brewers, what is the beer called, etc.) and a bit more Bach-to-Bach music on the player.

Cheers, all!

#8 drtth, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    BJB13, LeperJim, dee4maine and 32 others like this.
  9. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,344) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Congrats @cjgiant on your 4th year anniversary! Thank you for getting NBS out of the gate this morning. Summer is sizzling here in upstate new york and I am happy to report that I have grown basil and parsley. My tomato plants are looking not drowned after the rain the other day. So I am thinking I might be three for three. Today's project is frozen yogurt with lemon and basil . Cheers you all and Happy New Beer Sunday!

This is Ommegang Pale Sour Ale

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Pours light sunshine yellow. Good white foam that falls fast. Lemon and spice. A bit of funk and lemon peel. No hops on the nose to speak of. Malt is a sweet craker under lots of vibrant lemon.

Taste is just to the point of sour . Lemon , spice and good firm malt. Travels the palate swiftly to reveal all the flavor at the end when your mouth waters. champagne bubbly. Without too big of a sour this is very food friendly.

Cheers you all And happy New Is that a Sour Sunday!

ManapuaMan, BJB13, MacMalt and 50 others like this.
  10. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (2,789) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

There be whales here!!

The quote above is for you Trekkies out there!

Today’s beer is a gift beer: Finback Brewery How Soon is Meow hoppy rice pils.

This is my first beer I ever had from Finback. On the can in very tiny font it lists: “a collaboration brewed with our buddies, Kings County Brewing Collective, pils brewed with flaked rice and dry hopped with blanc.” The font is so small I am uncertain whether they truly want you to read this short description.

I am assuming that the hops used to dry hop this beer is Hallertau Blanc which is a ‘new wave’ German hop.

I would tell you a story about Finback Brewing but frankly all that I know is that is a relatively new brewery (opened 2011) and is located in Queens. My mother in law was born and raised in Queens. The only other person I ‘know’ from Queens is Archie Bunker.:slight_smile:

So, how does a “hoppy rice pils” taste?

Served in my Polish Pilsner glass:

Appearance:

Straw colored with a BIG fluffy white head which persists throughout the entire drinking experience.*

Aroma:

The most prominent aroma is sweet malt (Pilsner Malt?) but there is a herbal/citrusy hop aroma as well. I find the aroma to be very pleasant.

Taste:

The flavor very much follows the nose. There is the sweet malt (Pilsner Malt?) flavor accompanied by herbal/citrus hop flavors in the background.

Mouthfeel:

This beer is light/medium bodied with a dry finish.

Overall:

Very tasty!! This is an enjoyable summertime Pilsner beer. The highlight for me was the beer’s aroma.

* When I poured the remainder of the can (16 ounce can) into the glass the appearance was turbid/murky; it had the appearance of a so called ‘NE’ style IPA.

Cheers!

@rotsaruch @zid @RobH @chipawayboy @KOP_Beer_OUtlet

[​IMG]

RobH, ManapuaMan, BJB13 and 47 others like this.
  11. Rhisa09

Rhisa09 Initiate (107) Jan 15, 2017

Tried this a few weeks ago and was quite impressed. Paired well with ginger chicken. IIRC, this is brewed for Ommegang in Belgium. A sour I will return to!

Premo88, mikeinportc, woemad and 5 others like this.
  12. Ocalafox

Ocalafox Aspirant (231) May 17, 2016 Florida
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Excellent intro cjgiant! Working thru the early morning chores; laundry on the line, run complete, wife's wine cooler out back to defrost..... My first ever Sweet Baby Jesus. While not really my favorite style, I can appreciate the work put into brewing it. I don't see a date but thinking it may be a little aged, got it from my daughter changing apartments. It seems to be a bit alcohol forward, but I do get the peanut butter hit in the background. I'm letting it warm from fridge temp as I drink it. Everyone have a safe enjoyable Sunday with family and friends! Me, toggling rapidly between the Tour de France and F1 from Silverstone til the wife gets home from work.
    [​IMG]

FFFjunkie, dcotom, Squire123 and 32 others like this.
  13. cjgiant

Ok, I saw that @Roguer had a Clown Shoes beer to kick off WBAYDN, and I was wondering if it was a new beer to him. Apparently so given his post above. It spurred me on to have my own Clown Shoes beer, Crasher in the Rye 2017.
    [​IMG]

This is a breakfast beer without coffee, in a way: it is an imperial oatmeal milk stout (we'll ignore the barrel aging). The write up indicates rye malt is [also?] used...
    I quite enjoyed this beer... though it does suffer from that classic unhealthy look of being flat with nothing more than a fishing wire rim of tiny bubbles.

The nose seemed to bring out many of the aspects described on the bottle: rye barrels, oat/rye malt, a lactose tang. There was a coffee-leaning aspect to the roasted malt in the nose that turned more chocolatey in the taste. The flavors seemed to highlight the rye - more noticeably the whiskey to me. The spice bite could be a combination, and does actually leave my tongue just the slightest bit numb after a few sips.

The base is not lost, but doesn't scream for attention. The aspects described above divert my attention, but do not require it in full. I think the double rye aspect of this beer is what really stands out, though. I'd go for it if you like rye beer or rye whiskey - or both.

ManapuaMan, BJB13, FFFjunkie and 40 others like this.
  14. cjgiant

When we went up for the second weekend of Philly Beer Week, there was no way we weren't stopping by Monk's. Totally enjoyed the time there before @CanConPhilly could join us, and the afternoon included quite a few Belgians (including a small Cantillon that the bartender deemed us worthy to try). I can't recall if at some point we sampled this year's Beer Week beer - I actually vaguely recall that Monk's keg was kicked when we were there (this seems possibly unlikely even if it were the second weekend), so I'll await your review and see if it rings any bells :wink:

15. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (4,866) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Thanks for the great start @cjgiant for this weeks NBS! Should be back later on today with a new brew.

Cheers!

16. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (2,459) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania

Good morning New BSers! Thanks @cjgiant for getting us going. I'm not going to talk about the brewery because I know nothing about it other than what I can glean from the website - and I'll be back later with a more local beer.

I'm back in Texas for a few days of unscheduled vacation - flew down because there were some problems with contractor timing and I didn't really want to take time to drive this time. Only spent $ 48 on beer at Spec's this time as opposed to my usual several hundred - it's getting really hard to find local brews/breweries I haven't tried and I'm finding some of Spec's beer stock has expiration dates smeared of just plain missing. Anyway...

$ 1.06 (Including discount and tax)/500 mL can ($ 0.063/oz) at Spec’s, Live Oak, TX.
    Can dated E 04.11.2017 at 42 degrees into a hand washed and dried Jester King snifter.
    Aroma – toasted malt, lasts but fades.
    Head – small (Maximum two cm, aggressive pour), tan, creamy, average retention, diminishing to a two mm ring and rocky partial layer.
    Lacing – poor – a few tiny islands.
    Body – dark brown/black, opaque.
    Flavor – toasted malt, very slightly bitter. No hops evident. No alcohol, no diacetyl.
    Palate – medium, almost creamy, soft carbonation.

Even though this is past the expiration date, it’s still a decent beer.

Appearance 4, Aroma 4, Flavor 4, Palate 4, Overall 4. Rating 4, rDev+3.6%.

I drank this beside the pool and didn't review it until a few minutes later when I came back into the house. That dark spot in the water is Bender the pool-cleaning robot hard at work. I always speak to him and thank him for his hard work cleaning the pool - I'm trying to build up some good karma for the coming robot holocaust. I figure if I'm nice to Bender, maybe he'll put in a good line of code for me (I also talk to the ATMs).

ManapuaMan, BJB13, FFFjunkie and 37 others like this.
  17. jkblr

jkblr Disciple (398) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana

Good Morning NBS
    I have two Midwestern canned tripels on the line this morning. I bought these about 2 weeks apart not paying close attention to the cans. Both are 8.5% ABV and list wheat, oats and sugar in the ingredients. The Taxman beer is the 4th I have featured in this thread. The other is from Tallgrass and I actually thought I was buying Wooden Rooster which is this base beer aged in Rye whiskey barrels and is excellent. Here we go...
    [​IMG]
    12oz can bb 3/17/18 poured into a Chimay chalice at fridge temp 8.5% ABV. The beer pours a hazy blonde orange color with short lived off white head and minimal lacing. The aroma is full of clove and banana. The taste follows with clove, then subtle banana and finishes spicy and clean. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, soft but highly carbonated and finish is moderately dry. Overall, very good.

[​IMG]
    12oz canned 5/25/17 poured into a Westmalle chalice at fridge temp 8.5% ABV 30 IBU. The beer is slightly hazy dark straw color with head that did not last for the photo. No lacing. Aroma is citrus and coriander. Taste is orange peel and coriander moving to sweet then finishing with spice. Mouthfeel is thin bodied and moderately carbonated. The beer is soft and finishes semi dry. Overall, good.

[​IMG]
    This is a more ambitious post than a guy who worked all night should have taken on. I have Velvet Rooster ahead by a couple points but far behind La Fin Du Monde (my personal #1 Tripel). The coriander in the Exemption is a personal dislike for me and I felt the body was too thin. They are both good though and worth a try if you enjoy American attempts on the style. Thanks for reading if you made it all the way. Enjoy your Sunday!

#17 jkblr, Jul 16, 2017
    VABA, ManapuaMan, BJB13 and 38 others like this.
  18. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (3,716) Sep 17, 2005 Maine
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Thanks to @cjgiant for getting us off to an elegant start, and congrats on your 4th beerversary.
    I am looking at my lawn and garden and thinking they look the best they ever have. We seem to be getting days of sun interspersed with enough rain to keep things watered and growing. I almost need to mow more than once a week, and the tomato plants are well over five feet tall. I might have to get some longer stakes.

My new beer for today is perhaps not a summer beer, but I am not a patient man. I picked up the 2017 Stickee Monkee at my local shop, and every time I opened my beer fridge it was sitting there staring at me. So, today I grabbed it.
    In my goblet it was a dark brown color with only a hint of head.
    The aroma was brown sugar/toffee, vanilla, and bourbon.
    The taste improved on what the aroma promised. Yes, toffee, vanilla, and bourbon, but also some dark fruit and tobacco.
    Rather heavy. Late alcohol burn (pleasant).
    A sipping beer.
    [​IMG]

BJB13, Squire123, FFFjunkie and 38 others like this.
  19. woodychandler

woodychandler Poo-Bah (7,082) Apr 9, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Happy New CANned Fruit Beer Sunday (Week 647)!

Not much to tell about here in Lancaster (City & County), PA, where I am on self-imposed restriction in search of (more) gainful employment as well as running through the backlog of beer that could fell a raging rhinoceros. This is what CAN happen if you spend too much time drinking away from home & returning home each time with an armload of beer.

On the upside, however, it is providing me the opportunity to CANduct a whole lotta brewery horizontals (same brewery, many different beers/styles) OR as in the case of NBS, to put together a theme for the day (different breweries/styles, but a CANmonality among them).

As far as actual CANned fruit goes, I don't know that I have a preference for CANned vs. in those plastic snax pax, but having been in the Navy & mastered the use of a John Wayne, I CAN tell you that the latter are MUCH easier to open!

I opened the day with a palate-cleanser, since I find Gose to be just that. Sadly, it was a bit of a swing & a miss for me:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/30581/248037/?ba=woodychandler#review
    [​IMG]

If you CANnot succeed with the first, then a good fallback position is to where it all beCAN. Oskar Blues was the first independent brewery to heed the clarion call of the extruded aluminum cylinder & they rarely disappoint, having honed their craft:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2681/281794/?ba=woodychandler#review
    [​IMG]

and, as usual for me since I have to work 2nd shift, a third and last delve into my theme of the day.

Or should I say "dive"? I have not been involved in Pooltime in a while, although a friend has expressed an interest. Man, entering Navy Boot Camp in Orlando, FL in August 1983, I was in pretty good shape & as a lifelong swimmer, I had no problem getting into a (seemingly) bottomless pool. In that time period, EVERY article of clothing was designed to be an ersatz PFD (personal floatation device) with the exception of the shoes, which were to be stowed before diving in. You then had 15" or 30" to remain afloat or be evaluated for retention. I went in feet first, holding my nose as instructed. I then stripped down to my swim trunks, tying off articles of clothing as I did so around my body. I was in good shape until I noticed some of my shipmates sinking like stones! I dove to rescue them, only to feel an aluminum pole in the small of my back, pushing me ever deeper. I waved off & surfaced, only to be told by an instructor that this was an individual exercise & they would play "Lifeguard" as necessary. Hmm. I then inflated my gear, one piece at a time & as it would deflate, I would throw it onto the deck & move onto the next piece. Finally, not knowing where I was on time, I simply floated on my back until the whistle blew. My prowess led to them asking if I wanted to strike for SEALs or become a SAR swimmer (the answer was No! to both). Hint: Navy is actually an acronym for "Never Again Volunteer Yourself". You have to be a REALLY strong swimmer & I knew that was not for me. It is just after five Bell's on Sunday Holiday Routine (holiday rooty tooty), so I leave you for some Pooltime:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/287/42649/?ba=woodychandler#review
    [​IMG]

I feel enthusiastic enough about this little foray that I will be returning to it next Sunday. See yinz then!

Squire123, FFFjunkie, srw and 31 others like this.
  20. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (1,663) Jan 31, 2005 California

Wow Vietnamese Speedway is incredible. But I can only imagine sipping a cask version. (Closing my eyes, licking my lips, nodding my head). Yeah, that must be divine.

Premo88 and cjgiant like this.
  21. ONUMello

ONUMello Poo-Bah (1,958) Feb 24, 2009 Ohio

Good morning, NBS! My cat jumped onto the table literally a second after I took this picture (how appropriate!) but I couldn't get her to sit still enough to get one with her included.
    [​IMG]
    It's funny, I wrote my review before reading the label only to find out what I wrote exactly matched what this was brewed with! (Usually of course it's the other way around).

Both the aromas and palate are full of citrus and tropical fruit. At first I thought pineapple though it turns out it's guava (I can't say I've tasted plain guava recently). And when I wrote the citrus tasted bolder than many DIPAs, sure enough it's blood orange. There's a bit of earthiness thrown in as well. The mouthfeel is the only point I rated down a bit as it has an initial punch that isn't quite coherent with the rest; on the full-side of medium-bodied overall. Kudos to Short's overall, as too often additives are barely noticed, but this beer puts them front and center while allowing the hops and malt to provide balance and support.

Cheers!

22. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (1,663) Jan 31, 2005 California

Well Good Morning NBS. Thanks to @cjgiant for the thoughtful start.
    I have had a very busy week here. As the mercury hovered in the low 90's, I was hustling around ripping out our old "lawn" in the backyard. I use that word facetiously. It was a disaster. Circling the the edge of the river Styx, capping a most clay and rock compacted ground, it was a grievous bitch to dig out.
    Having accomplished this, I tilled the soil. This was more work than I remembered from prior jobs many years in the past.
    Finally, I slapped down my sod. Wow, what a difference. But the capper, the icing n the cake, the big piece of meat was watching our 2 new puppies romp around on the lawn. They're rescue dogs, and they really seemed to appreciate, nay adore, their new digs. Hopefully, they won't dig.:wink:

Through all of this I was hydrating with beer about every other day. Not too much exciting, but then came a message from our very own @Prager62 . "Still at the same address?"
    This kind gentlemen surprised me, with impeccable timing I might add, a beautiful box of beer.
    So, I'm stepping out of protocol simply to give a shout out, and to speak of the 1st beer I tapped from him. Yes, I drank it last night, but please forgive me. I'll be back with more today (following the usual norms of consuming in our virtual pub).

Mind to Devour by Transient Artisan Ales

4.47/5 rDev +3%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Golden to apricot hued. Hazy. Fluffy white head that bursts upward nearly 2 inches before retreating and leaving a soft almost milky layer that stays along for the whole ride and leaves deposits of stringy lacing. Damn fine looking DIPA.
    Aroma is a juicy citrus melange thats floral and hints at a meaty malt base. There's an effervescent quality to the nose that's hard to nail down but it's juicy, a malt presence that's neither crackery nor bready but...prominent. It's really hard to nail down, but it's really inviting.
    Taste is glorious. Begins with the citrus that's both floral and juicy. Or is it juicy and floral? Hmmm. It begins with that luscious citrus that moves seamlessly into hints of apricot and peach. Malt carries everything gracefully but, again, is hard to describe.
    Mouthfeel is plush, pillowy. Full enough for style. Carbonation is on the gentle side but present. I want more.
    Overall, I want this everyday. My humility and respect forbids me from making any comments for improvement except...distribute to my house, in California. Please.

As you can see, I love this one. Thanks Jim. And thanks in particular for sending 2.:slight_smile:

23. Roguer

Beer Trader

I don't really have high hopes for this beer, but I'll do it for science - and New Beer Sunday.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Wild Heaven Emergency Drinking Beer

Pours a very strong head, with equally strong retention and nice lacing. The brew is not quite transparent, which is a bit of a down check in my opinion for a Pilsner.

The nose is starting to remove my fears: a clean pale malt bill implies notes of honeyed bread, while the hops impart lovely floral notes, dappled with hints of orange peel, lemon, and pepper.

The flavor follows: it's quite balanced, with the malt never really approaching the sickly sweet trap of a poorly made American Pilsner. The citrus notes remain, as well, and there's a salty kick to it.

The very low ABV (4%) and crisp lively feel leave this beer eminently crushable, more like a Gose or Radler in terms of drinkability.

I'm clearly way off base from the rest of the reviewers, because I found this beer quite delightful. It's not going to replace any IPAs in my regular rotation (in the last picture, there's a can of Jai Alai lurking behind the glass - my real emergency beer!), but I'm quite glad I tried it, and I'll gladly enjoy it on tap with a meal.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/23651/153098/?ba=Roguer#review
    3.95 / +15.5%

Post-review notes: if you check the BA description for this beer, it's rather illuminating, and explains the surprising character of this beer:

"A one-of-a-kind session beer reminiscent of a crisp pilsner married with a traditional gose. Brightness and complexity come from additions of citrus zest, Portuguese sea salt and lemongrass."

I don't know what kind of citrus zest, nor can I tell Portuguese sea salt from any other, but it absolutely explains the melange of flavors and aromas present.

Cheers!

BJB13, FFFjunkie, thebeers and 34 others like this.
  24. Prager62

Prager62 Meyvn (1,401) May 7, 2010 Indiana
    Beer Trader

You're welcome, glad you enjoyed it. I found it too good myself to just send one. Cheers my friend!

25. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (1,864) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

[​IMG]
    Happy NBS, everyone. I'm posting earlier than usual today because Mrs. Mac and I are leaving shortly for Princeton to help our daughter's boyfriend move into a new apartment. I missed out on the Berliner Weiss fun last Saturday so I'm making amends today. This is Rushing Duck's Zingerbier, a sour ale brewed with ginger. Sour ale is not a favorite style of mine but I trust RD's ability to make just about any beer taste good. The ginger adds a nice touch of sweetness and keeps it from being too sour for my taste. My one disappointment is how quickly the head disappeared. Here's my review:

3.97/5 rDev 0%
    look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Can dated 6/26/2017. Poured into Rushing Duck Belgian glass. It pours a golden-straw color with virtually no head or lacing. It has a decidedly sour smell with lemon, lime, and a smell I assume is ginger. The taste is quite sour with a lot of lime, but the ginger adds a certain sweetness. It is crisp, dry, and refreshing, with lively carbonation, and the 4.6% ABV poses no impediment to drinkability. Overall, while this is not my favorite style, I like the lime presence and the ginger adds some additional character. Rushing Duck proves again that it can succeed at any style of beer.

I hope you're all enjoying your new beers today. Perhaps I'll be back tonight after dinner at Brick Farm Tavern/Troon Brewing.

#25 MacMalt, Jul 16, 2017
    VABA, BJB13, SABERG and 36 others like this.
  26. cjgiant

Up next is a beer from Kent Falls Brewing Company, Waymaker Brett IPA. The bottle indicates to "Drink Fresh!" but then seems to fail to show a date on which it was produced.
    [​IMG]

The beer has a nice look to it out in the natural light - a quite hazy orange leaning burnt orange; back in a average lit room, it looks a little more "dirty." The head is maybe just off white (not that the photo indicates it well) and lasts very nicely.

As I wave my arm gently, raising the glass to my nose, I can definitely tell there is Brett in this beer. The nose is actually wonderful in that it lives on that yeast's aspects, but has a somewhat fruity aspect to it - I get apricot and grapefruit, maybe some unripe nectarine. There's a piney aspect as well, that when combined with the yeast yields a slight Pine-Sol note without the astringency (never thought using Pine-Sol to describe beer could be explaining a nice aspect, but there it is).

Taste finds a way to bring the earthy farmhouse note with a lighter than the nose pine wood first. The fruit notes seem more in the stone fruit (grapefruit seems shrugged off), but the earthy notes seems to suck the sweetness from the fruits. A beer that glides on bearings of tickling carbonation easily over the palate. As it warms, the fruits gain a little of their sweet tart and bring a medium light body with them. A dry ending has a pith/barn wood lingering note.

I loved the nose on this beer, but the taste didn't quite live up to it. This is not to indicate pure disappointment, though, as the taste showed a nice interplay of the yeast and hops that produced a uniquely enjoyable beer overall.

#26 cjgiant, Jul 16, 2017
    BJB13, FFFjunkie, thebeers and 31 others like this.
  27. Roguer

Beer Trader

Nice choice, and I did see your reply in last night's WBAYDN?. 2020 is it for me, as well. 71 combined years is one hell of an achievement for you two!

I cut today short, as it was supposed to be my only day off for the next 3 months. Today is supposed to be about Wimbledon and new beer, after all! :slight_smile:

CJ, while I haven't had the 2017 version, I have had the original - and thought much the same as you (4.19, which is actually good for a -rDev on that one). The smokey Vampire Slayer base definitely came through, and the barrel aging was well done. I'll have to keep an eye out for this one.

Squire123, Premo88, VABA and 5 others like this.
  28. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (1,818) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Supporter Beer Trader

Fwiw, that beer makes for a hell of a dark n stormy too. :slight_smile:

zid, Premo88, cavedave and 2 others like this.
  29. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (1,755) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Good morning/afternoon all. Starting off with a brewery just a bit down the road, Kindred Spirit and their Headspace IPA

[​IMG]

Looks normal enough. Pretty decent foamy head that leaves behind a nice, full sheet of lacing. Body is a nice, slightly hazy orange. Aroma of pine and tangerine hit the nose primarily, with a fresh crispness to it. Taste takes a little bit of a departure from the nose with a hint of bit of onion dankness before the tangerine and a bit of orange peel rolls in. Finishes off with just enough caramel to give it adequate depth. Dry on exit with a leave behind of slight sweetness. Pretty darn decent, as yet another central Virginia brewery seems to be doing things right.

BJB13, Squire123, FFFjunkie and 30 others like this.
  30. cjgiant

Yes, that beer was one that came closest to making me wish we had stopped by the place on our own that day. Though even then, it wasn't that close.

I've generally liked Clown Shoes BBA beers - think most fall in that 4-4.25 range that I've rated. This one was obviously right there and I'm guessing you'll enjoy it fairly well if you enjoy their other BBA beers like I do.

Premo88, 2beerdogs and Roguer like this.
  31. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (2,578) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Beer Trader

Greetings, fellow NBSers, and thanks to @cjgiant for getting us underway. Congratulations on the 4 BA years. They go by faster and faster, just like for everything else (I hit my 14th last month:grimacing:)

Right now it's 70, with a high of only 78 expected. It's been back up into the 90s after a brief, slightly cooler spell. Still, it was blustery enough when it did drop back down at the start of the week before ricocheting back up to hot to be of no use to the folks on the fire lines in central Washington. Still, it's a MUCH better fire season than the last couple years, thanks to that never ending wet winter and spring.

Yesterday, I hit two IPAs from Seattle's Georgetown Brewing. Until less than two months ago, they were America's largest brewer of draft only beers, but now they are canning (plus the occasional whale-y bomber sold exclusively at the brewery). Although they are refusing to can their flagship beer - Manny's Pale Ale - other regular beers are being released, with Bodhizafa being the one everyone's been hunting down. After getting sixers of both Lucille (their longtime IPA) and Bodhizafa (a newer stablemate), I was shocked to find I had never reviewed them.

Lucille:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/4378/60992/?ba=woemad#review
    and Bodhizafa:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/4378/187285/?ba=woemad#review
    Lucille is an old school, traditional style PNW IPA, with a grapefruity and piney bitter bite. Bodhizafa, a newer, more popular (and more expensive) IPA is a less bitter, more complexly fruity beer by comparison, with elements of orange peel and pineapple as well as the traditional grapefruit. While Bodhizafa is the easier drinking of the two and more complex from the hop standpoint, Lucille is a finely crafted example of what IPAs have been around here for 20 years, and cans at it's price point will always be welcomed in my fridge.

No pics today (though they're on Untapped if you're desperate for a look). I've been too busy to decide on a replacement for photobucket.

Been listening to Crimso's Islands album quite a bit lately. Partway through this track, Robert Fripp makes a Les Paul sound like an electric banjo, if a banjo could be played at the speed of a hypersonic spy plane.

BJB13, Squire123, FFFjunkie and 31 others like this.
  32. nc41

nc41 Meyvn (1,387) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Great thread as always, it's hot today, a bit tired of being hot after 9 days at the beach.

So something as clean and crisp like a SN Summerfest is perfect. Actually this is really a top notch as they say crisp Pils, nicely hoppy, a bit sharp but very enjoyable. As good or better than most of the Czech Pils out there. The head on that beer was very pronounced the pic was about 10 minutes after I poured it. Best of all its in cans too, perfect beach, pool, hot weather beer. Going to get close to 100 this week too.

[​IMG]

33. cjgiant

Thanks, all! Not that it takes much to enjoy beer for four years, especially with where the beer industry has gone, even in the short period since I joined.

:slight_smile:

34. beerloserLI

beerloserLI Defender (613) Apr 2, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

Happy Sunday NBS players. Another hot and hazy summer day here on the island. Just a perfect beach day which I am hoping to hit up later this afternoon. Other then that it's looking like a nice lazy day. Sit on my ass, watch baseball, a little grilling, and of course knock back some good brews.

My new beer today is Seasonal Creep, an imperial pumpkin ale, from Moustache brewing co. A little gimmick/shot at the early season releases which should be packing the shelves in just a few weeks. Personally, I just think they should re-name, brew, and release it at the proper time but it is what it is I guess. The brew checks in at 9.5% with a 6/27/17 canning.

A dark amber/orange color on the pour with a frothy but fast dispensing head and foggy clarity. The nose is full of the seasonal spices and is decently floral. A sharp and sweet pumpkin flavor hits on the first sip while a rush of all those spices carry right over from the nose. A nice smooth flow with a equally smooth finish. Big flavor notes of cinnamon, vanilla, caramel, nutmeg, and ginger. The mouth feel is on the lighter side of moderate. It has a slight stick to it and the flavors really linger.

Overall, pretty good stuff. It's really on the sweeter side and the spice flavor is rather pungent but I like it that way. The final test will be getting my fiances opinion on it. There are only two beers that she will drink. One of them is pumpkin and the other is blue point blueberry ale. She will be rather baffled by the brewers suggestion to not rim the glass with cinnamon and sugar- "that's the best part." I'm in the low 4/4.3 range here players.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

35. NotAlcoholicJustAHobby

NotAlcoholicJustAHobby Defender (637) Jun 13, 2015 Vermont

NBS beer number 1 for today...

[​IMG]

The Collaborator

14th Star Brewing Co.
    Maibock / Helles Bock / 7.20% ABV

4.04/5 rDev -1.5% | Avg: 4.1
    look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Canned 05/16/2017

L-The beer pours clear and copper. The head is just shy of 2 fingers high and creme colored. The head lingers for a bit but recedes fairly quickly leaving minimal lacing.

S-The nose is a light maple up front giving way to caramel from the malt. The longer the beer sits and warms the more the alcohol comes forward and shows in the finish.

T- The elements in the nose are all well represented here on the palate. The maple up front is light and adds a little sweetness to the beer, but never becomes cloying. The maple recedes or is taken over by the smooth caramel malts. These in turn are overtaken by just enough bitterness and alchohol burn to make this an enjoyable experience.

F-Carbonation for the beer is very light and keeps a medium light mouthfeel firmly rooted to your tongue.

O- This a very well done Maibock, which is a style I'm coming to appreciate more and more. Unlike so many other beers the maple in the beer is done at a perfect level to be enjoyed without being dominant or absent. Really enjoyable and recommended.

VABA, BJB13, SABERG and 37 others like this.
  36. LeRose

LeRose Savant (965) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Subscriber

Well hello NBS family...early edition for me. No picture either. Didnt realize I burned thru the phone battery yesterday trying to get the phone to talk to my car correctly...

Been super busy in the LeRose household. We agreed to let sonny boy, girlfriend,and grandson to occupy upstairs so they could save on rent and start building up some money for a house down payment. We dud the same for my daughter, but even with the new math 2.5 does not equal one. So busy plowing through all the accumulated stuff we shoved upstairs so we can reconfigure the hallway and add a three piece bathroom. Well, it is hot work and man needs sustenance...

So...to offset sweating my butt off and stave off dehydration, I popped open an Ipswich Ale Route 101 IPA. Ths is a west coast style IPA brewed in the northeast. This is a straightforward beah...pours clear, deep gold, with a half nch of persistent fluffy white head. It is mildly biscuity on the nose with a bitof citrus and resionous aroma. The taste follows along with the nose, the bitterness is pronounced yet in balance. It is kind of a just enough of everything, even a nice bit of sweetness. It is really dry on the finish...I mean really, really dry. This is a perfectly fine brew that you could just sit and drink a few or use to slake one's thirst while doing dusty, sweaty chores. Feeling this landing around a 3.8 on the BA-o-rometer.

Hopefully back with something I have been planning to drink for a couple Sundays.

BJB13, SABERG, Squire123 and 31 others like this.
  37. Blackop555

Blackop555 Champion (895) Dec 12, 2016 Michigan

[​IMG]

Saint Arnold- divine reserve 17

For some reason i was thinking a quad or bock style because of label. It's actually a Baltic Porter

Received as an extra. Thanks @Esoutter for this delicious extra and again for the amarillo hook up

4.31/5 rDev +2.1%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours dark brown. Foamy, short, light brown head. Fades fast to a lasting ring.

Smells roast malt, chocolate and coffee.

Tastes roast malt, cocoa and molasses hint. Followed by light coffee and caramel. Finish is dry with a roasty linger. Medium body and creamy medium carbonation

38. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Champion (849) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Supporter Beer Trader

Interesting review. I passed on that beer this week and bought a different Clown Shoes instead - one that was rum barrel-aged with habenero. I'm not sure if it was a good decision. I tend to like rum barrel beers but not overly spicy beers.

Premo88 and cjgiant like this.
  39. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (1,818) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Supporter Beer Trader

Not only was that beer my first review way back when, but it also provided the impetus for me to join BA in the first place. It didn't seem like beers like that were getting enough love, so I figured what the hell, I'll just throw my voice out there too. :slight_smile:

MacMalt, thebeers, zid and 7 others like this.
  40. cjgiant

Does it have coconut?? :wink:

Actually, I must say I would likely retract my statement of Clown Shoes BBA beers when it comes to rum... though I know my preferences and I'm not sure I've ever grabbed [more than] one. We could make this a New Clown Sunday if you actually get to it later and post here :slight_smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.