New Beer Sunday (Week 647)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cjgiant, Jul 16, 2017 at 12:21 PM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Crusader (725) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Hello New Beer Sunday!!!

What a beautiful day outside to be stuck indoors at work all day. Yeah, it sucked. At least I've got this beauty to enjoy tonight.

So time for the beer.
    [​IMG]
    Indeed Rum King.

Indeed!
    Adzooks!
    Wow!

This is a really rich, full bodied beer. Nice rich flavors. Nice finish of the barrel on the backside. This is just amazing.

4.73/5 rDev +8%
    look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This beer pours pitch black. It is a thick pouring beer. Thick, frothy brown head. Amazing head retention. Beautiful lacing on the glass.
    The nose is rich with chocolate notes. I also get hints of the barrel aging - rum, of course.
    The taste is out of this world. It was for a fraction of a second mellow, then my taste buds lit up. Chocolate, and on the backside I get the nice smooth burn from the barrel.
    Feel is amazing. Nice, thick, rich. Full bodied.
    Damn amazing beer. So damn good. Almost a perfect beer.

515 characters

I'll see if there will be another beer tonight. Ive got a feeling there will be one.

2. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Meyvn (1,376) Mar 7, 2013 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Ahh, to have it for give first time again! Such a good beer. Definitely jump on Maudite or 17 if you ever see them. They all age like champs, too!:D

Be careful what you wish for.

#122 TheDoctor, Jul 17, 2017 at 2:01 AM
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017 at 2:08 AM
    2beerdogs, cavedave, Premo88 and 3 others like this.
  3. srw

srw Devotee (413) Mar 25, 2012 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Tired Hands Double Strawberry Milkshake IPA
    [​IMG]
    L: Pours a murky yellow and orange color with very little head into a teku glass.
    Leaves some nice lacing around the glass. 4.25
    S: Strawberries and some stone fruit 4.5
    T: Strawberry upfront followed by a creamy flavor from the vanilla and cirtius fruits. Not bitter at all. 4.5
    F: Light carbonation on this can. Nice full body and easy to drink. 4.25
    O: Very enjoyable. An interesting take on the IPA style. Can't wait to try some of the other flavors! 4.46

Squire123, 2beerdogs, jkblr and 26 others like this.
  4. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (2,584) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Beer Trader

Beautiful color to that kit!

5. jhavs

jhavs Meyvn (1,197) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

Hi everyone, great thread so far.

Went with a few old and funky brews today.
    [​IMG]
    First is Red Swingline from Trinity Brewing.

Pours a slightly cloudy reddish hued straw. Big bubbled foamy white head. Head bubbles itself out slowly and creates floating islands and a thin collar.

Aroma is sweet tart candy and a hint of grassy barnyard funk. Been around a while and the brett has done its job.

Flavor is a bit sweet with assertive tartness. Not puckering, but pretty sour. Grassy earth and brett funk.

Bubbly, dry and lighter body.

I enjoy this more than I thought I would. It's been in my cellar for a while.

Next is its big brother. Double Swingline.
    [​IMG]
    This one is more golden and clear. Aroma is a bit more mineral and a lot less tart candy. The funk is still there though.

Flavor has hint of grain, mineral bite and some tartness. This is all backed by earthy funk.

Moderate carb, bubbly and dry.

Good, but Red Swingline was a bit more balanced and enjoyable.

6. PittBeerGirl

PittBeerGirl Poo-Bah (1,532) Feb 27, 2007 Ohio

2beerdogs, jkblr, meefmoff and 15 others like this.
  7. thebeers

thebeers Meyvn (1,286) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

[​IMG]

Refuge Blood Orange Wit

Evening, BAs. Had a couple of second-time beers today. Just finally getting around to a new one, courtesy of @Wasatch. I always appreciate the opportunity.

This one pours a cloudy pale yellow-orange with almost a pink tint to it. Over two fingers of airy, bright-white head that leave modest lacing.

Big Belgian aroma of yeast, wheat and clove, along with some very distant citrus. Similar tasting, but with an added flash of orange juice sweetness to it. There's a relatively clean finish, interrupted by some chemical solvent in the aftertaste (which shows even more in belches).

Light-bodied with just enough carbonation.

Pretty refreshing as you drink it. The cleaning-solvent aftertaste isn't my jam, but I did sort of get used to it after a while though. I like the restrainted use of fruit additions by Refuge, and especially love the can art from these guys. No canned on date, though.

Cheers, y'all.

8. cjgator3

cjgator3 Poo-Bah (2,812) Jan 19, 2006 Florida

Cigar City Lorem Ipsum
    Brandy Barrel Aged Barleywine - 11.0% ABV

[​IMG]

3.89/5 rDev -7.2%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

750ml bottle poured into an El Catador club snifter. Bottling date of 11/13/15 etched on the side of the bottle. The brandy barrels dominate the nose along with caramel, raisins, plums, and brown sugar. The taste like the aroma features a lingering sweetness starting up front and lasting well into the warming finish. There is just a touch of tartness in the taste as well with a lot of booze in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium-full bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Overall, Lorem Ipsum is a solid barelywine that I think could benefit from aging. This bottle is 1.75 years old, but I do think it could use a few more years to mellow out a little in the taste.

Squire123, TheDoctor, jkblr and 24 others like this.
  9. zid

zid Crusader (778) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

As someone with experience brewing with adjuncts, if the label didn't state rice, do you think you would have known that it used adjuncts once you tried it?

Premo88 likes this.
  10. LeRose

LeRose Savant (960) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Subscriber

A little East Coast LN-NBS...I will admit I am a grubby, exhausted lump right now. Six boxes and two barrels of recycling. Nine boxes packed up for charitable donation. Upstairs hallway....EMPTY...ready for final measurements.

Been wanting to give this beer the NBS treatment for a while now, so here we go...

[​IMG]

Lousy picture. but not missing much...the head was pretty short, ended up being a ring constantly fed from the bottom of the glass. So I can go deep gold, slightly cloudy. The smell opens with bread crust, there is a pretty hefty hit of funk, citrus floats in, and as the beer warms notes of licorice emerge that remind me more of fennel than anise. The initial taste was intensely sour and I wondered what I had gotten into. The second sip opened up some sweetness and the fennel flavor. Some peach or apricot flavor makes a surprise guest appearance. The tartness really tames itself amazingly well. Spice and licorice linger, black peppery on the finish. Ok...bottom line is I dig it, it makes my mouth happy. I actually like the flavor morphing Power Ranger thing Allagash achieves sometimes. Feeling this will be just short of the 4.0 on the scales here.

Roguer, Squire123, superspak and 27 others like this.
  11. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (1,658) Jan 31, 2005 California

Thanks for popping back in @malty

Premo88 and HoppingMadMonk like this.
  12. 2beerdogs

Sounds very similar to my first experience drinking Sure Bet from Pipeworks.

Premo88 and HoppingMadMonk like this.
  13. zid

zid Crusader (778) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

[​IMG]

Last one today - Kent Falls Maybe Both

When I saw this one in the store, I was torn. I asked the beer guy if this was basically an IPL. I didn't want to buy an IPL. He said it wasn't, and I doubted that, but I grabbed one anyway.

7% ABV was the first tip-off. The name "Maybe Both" was another. I was right - this is pretty much an IPL. After the imports today, I fjust had no interest in this beer. Yeah, I'm totally biased.

Beyond the IPA descriptors seen in countless reviews (grapefruit, resin, yadda yadda), this one has a sweet edge and a stinging finish... on a clean lager base. Don't look to me for any more insight on this one.

Roguer, Squire123, TheDoctor and 23 others like this.
  14. FFFjunkie

FFFjunkie Disciple (313) Aug 26, 2014 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I would like to thank @thebeers for the opportunity to try this beauty! It's the first cool night in a long while and this beer fit perfectly with the weather. Without further delay.....

Thanks Arthur! Really enjoying this one!

Premo88, Roguer, Squire123 and 22 others like this.
  15. 2beerdogs

That one sounds good. I remember trying the Peach Tripel with so much excitement. The nose was stunning, but the flavor was a bit of a let down.

Premo88, Riff, russpowell and 2 others like this.
  16. bobv

bobv Meyvn (1,261) Feb 3, 2009 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Drinking my third glass from the bottle as I watch the season premiere for the 2nd time...

[​IMG]

Gentle pour yields a 3/4 inch white head over a light amber body with minimal lacing. Nose of banana, slight citrus, honey, and spice (cloves and pepper.) Taste follows with more of the same with an almost thick mouthfeel. Overall, a Tripel worthy of Westeros. Cheers!

4.15/5 rDev +1.2%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Roguer, Squire123, 2beerdogs and 22 others like this.
  17. dee4maine

dee4maine Devotee (466) Jun 3, 2015 Maine
    Beer Trader

Hi Friends
    I am digging this LN-NBS concept.
    Trying new beer should have no time limitations.
    I apologize in advance for my tacitness but since I tried a new beer and it's Sunday, I have to share a few thoughts.
    I had Von Trapp Kolsch style Ale. They call it a summer session Ale. [​IMG]
    It was a great experience drinking it. It poured clean and grassy looking. Short lasting head.
    Aromas of some herbs, grass come through.
    Tastes like crisp, herbal bread with a mild hoppy bitter finish from the noble hops.
    [​IMG]
    Looked like a Gose but tasted very much on point.
    I paired it with spicy Thai basil fried rice with duck and it was perfect!!
    Cheers.

Roguer, Squire123, 2beerdogs and 27 others like this.
  18. Lone_Freighter

Lone_Freighter Poo-Bah (4,174) Jun 4, 2017 Vermont

Pretty sure, it's their first ale. Me, I'm satisfied with that beer too. And now, I'm tempted to test my cooking skills with pairing something similar to what you did!

19. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (1,850) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

[​IMG]
    It's late but we just returned from a great dinner with our daughter and her boyfriend at Brick Farm Tavern, which is also the home of Troon Brewing. This is Tchotchke, a 6.7% "session hoppy beer" according to the menu. It's a NE style IPA, turbid and fragrant, with a big fruity nose: tangerine, melon, lemon, and citra hops.
    [​IMG]
    It paired really well with the Berkshire pork. Delicious!

VABA, Roguer, Squire123 and 23 others like this.
  20. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (3,146) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia

Just caught up after spending some time with my family. Nice posts, all.

This joke was told on our trip to NE last week. Had to piece it together a little as it wasn't fully told but more referenced...

A couple of friends decided to grab a beer, and while they were on their second, one friend noticed the other seem a bit despondent.

“What’s the matter Bob? Why are you so quiet?” one asked.

“Well, I was thinking of Mary."

"My goodness, is you wife all right?"

“Yeah, yeah. I was just remembering one night we were making out in the back seat of my car. We were having a grand time until her father caught us, shoved a shotgun in my face and said, ‘Either you marry my daughter or spend twenty years in jail?'”

“Oh, reminiscing a little bit over 'young love,' are you Bob? We all were a little more spry in are younger days," Bob's friend said with a wink and a nudge.

Bob sighed and said, “No, it's not that…I just realized that had I chosen differently exactly two decades ago, I would be free tomorrow.”

Yeah, they've been saying it's easier to get permits now that you're gone.

Don't worry, correlation doesn't necessarily imply causation.

:p ;)

Roguer, Squire123, 2beerdogs and 9 others like this.
  21. ovaltine

ovaltine Meyvn (1,214) Apr 6, 2010 Texas
    Beer Trader

I'm gonna do a combo post of a couple of local brews I had at Hard Eight with Mrs. O because I am old, tired, and fuller than I can ever remember being - I ate my body weight in brisket, fries, pinto beans, and fried okra. First up, an amber ale named Heart Of Texas from Four Corners Brewing .....

[​IMG]

Beautiful ..... wait for it ..... amber-colored beer, very clear, with a light tan head. Aromas are all malt up front, with the barest smidge of fruity hops. The taste is heavy with caramel and toffee from the malt base, and there's a bit of fruity hops. Feel is full & rich, but also a bit syrupy. Not terrible by any means, but not a beer I'd seek again. Rated 3.68.

Next up is All Call, a very nice Kolsch from Lakewood Brewing .....

[​IMG]

Beautiful straw-colored beer, slightly hazy, with a brilliant white head. Aromas are summery: grass, grain, straw, and of course, the Kolsch yeast. The taste has a lot of body, with the Kolsch yeast accentuating the grassy, grainy hop flavors to yield a beer that capped off very nicely a hot summer day in Texas. Great lawnmower beer, IMHO. Rated 3.94.

#DrinkLocalX3

Roguer, Squire123, 2beerdogs and 24 others like this.
  22. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (2,459) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Good evening New BSers! I said I'd be back with another new beer today and here I am!

$ 9.59 (Including discount and tax)/four pack of 12 ozers ($ 0.199/oz) at Spec’s, Live Oak, TX.
    Undated can stored at 42 degrees. Served at 45 degrees in a hand washed and dried Jester King snifter.
    Aroma – pretty much none.
    Head – small (Maximum two cm, aggressive pour), tan, medium density, below average retention, rapidly diminishing to a one mm temporary ring and no layer.
    Lacing – none.
    Body – dark brown/black, opaque.
    Flavor – definitely sour. Next to no cherry flavor, but some chocolate aftertaste. No malt flavor other than the mentioned chocolate. No hops, no alcohol, no diacetyl. Allowing it to warm in my mouth only accentuates the sourness but not the malt.
    Palate – medium, almost creamy, soft carbonation.

I went into this knowing it was a sour (A style I enjoy) with cherries (About the only fruit I enjoy in beer). I was disappointed.

Appearance 3.5, Aroma 3, Flavor 3.25, Palate 3.75, Overall 3.25. Rating 3.26, rDev -13.5%.

The remainder of this glass will shortly be pouring down the drain.

Roguer, Squire123, 2beerdogs and 22 others like this.
  23. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (7,360) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Beer Trader

24. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Champion (833) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Supporter Beer Trader

My goodness, I only had one 18% (local) beer! I figured the county planners would have forgotten about that little incident by now. :oops:

Premo88 and cjgiant like this.
  25. Premo88

Premo88 Meyvn (1,343) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Subscriber

Awesome! Thanks for the tip! ;)

Hard Eight is too good to be true. The only place I've been that I'd even consider comparing to it is Louie Mueller in Taylor. Of course, there's a billion BBQ spots I've not been to, but man ... if there's a place better than Hard Eight I'd love to see it.

(and more than once I've eaten my body weight from just that bean pot! :p)

ovaltine likes this.
  26. dcotom

dcotom Meyvn (1,164) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa

Good evening, all, and Happy New Whatzit Sunday! This is Fruitesse On The Rocks, from Brouwerij Liefmans, Belgium. The label recommends serving it over ice, which I can't imagine would make much difference. Light, fruity, tart, big flavors of cherry, strawberry, and raspberry. It's also quite pretty in the glass. The big question - for me, anyway - is: "What is this?" It reminds me very much of Lindemans Kriek, with its similar color, aroma, and flavor. However, it isn't classified as a lambic, and the brewer's web site doesn't offer much information. Whatever it is, I'll call it good.
    [​IMG]

3.98/5 (rDev +16.7%)
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4
    Review here.

Roguer, Squire123, 2beerdogs and 23 others like this.
  27. bret717

bret717 Devotee (469) Dec 8, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Hey, all. My new beer today is Heavy Seas TropiCannon, which is their Loose Cannon IPA with blood orange, grapefruit zest and mango. The orange is pretty intense in the aroma and taste, but I think it worked out well. Here's my review:

3.79/5 rDev +3%
    look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

L- clear, golden, 1 finger white head

A- Very strong orange with a little passion fruit. The orange reminds me of orange bubble gum.

T- follows nose, a lot of orange but with a nice grapefruit bitterness throughout. Was worried it would be artificial-tasting based on the aroma, but it isn't.

F- medium-light, semi-dry

O- well done fruit IPA. The orange is pretty strong but it works well with the hops used.

[​IMG]

Premo88, Roguer, Squire123 and 19 others like this.
  28. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (7,360) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Beer Trader

Premo88, Roguer, 2beerdogs and 12 others like this.
  29. 2beerdogs

Stunning pic. The flowers really make the colors on the can pop.
    And hella drumming too.:D

Premo88 and tasterschoice62 like this.
  30. 2beerdogs

Well, I'm bringing it to a close with a nice one...again courtesy of @Prager62 .
    He noticed i wasn't too impressed with Founder's Doom. I found that one to be just shy of a hot mess. So, Jim takes it upon himself to send me Bother Hezekiah from the good folks at Greenbush in Sawyer, Michigan, the very same place where we met up for beers and pub grub.
    Well, you're right Jim. This one is much better. The barrel imbues what I think is bourbon notes, followed by a resiny, citrusy, honey kiss. Much better melded. Drinks somewhere between an American barleywine and an English one.
    Thanks again friend.

Premo88, Roguer, Ozzylizard and 13 others like this.
  31. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,338) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Happy Birthday =)

32. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (3,146) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia

Well, folks, it's gotten early. We can't hang out all week, but it sure was nice to get together. I had a good time and I hope you did, too. I'll let you decide how sorrowful parting is, but I'll offer up that we do this again, sometime. How'd next week looking for you??

Until then... Cheers!!

Premo88, 2beerdogs, cavedave and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.