New Beer Sunday (Week 663)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cjgiant, Nov 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (6,007) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

(I would say Extra Early because my body hasn't adjusted to the time change yet Edition, but this isn't even close to a record :wink:)

Good morning, BA nation. The countdown is at three - yes, just three (3) more weeks until we hit NBS #666. There’s no official theme at this point, but I’m hoping you all will come up with some devilishly good ideas for your posts. It should be a hell of a thread just after Thanksgiving.

Not that I don’t also expect good posts on this week or any other. On the contrary, I and al l NBS followers expect posts whose words will entice our eyes on appearance, knock the nose description out of the park, tantalize our tongues with words on taste, and force us to feel and understand your opinion on the beer overall. That’s what this thread is all about, promoting the sharing of experiences of a beer through words. But please don’t limit yourself to this thread and its participants; take a second to record you thoughts (perhaps verbatim) on the beer’s official page.

I have seen a few people post that they really enjoy this thread. I can’t blame them, as I obviously enjoyed it enough to accept the current stewardship. I know I have, at times, held off on a beer specifically to enjoy and talk about it on this thread. Has anyone else done this? For a while, now, I haven’t been stuck trying to find a new beer on Sundays with so many new breweries opening and others entering distribution to my area. Hell, just yesterday I saw a promo for Loudoun County breweries with four (4!) I wasn’t aware existed.

Given the wonderful participation on this thread, many take at least some enjoyment from popping the top/cap/cork on a new beer offering. But how eager are you about the chance at a new brewery offering? Do you tend to gravitate towards new offerings, thinking if we had a daily NB(M-S), that’d be fine with you? Or are new beers a nice treat and a decent reason/excuse to join us on Sundays for some conversation?

Feel free to put your thoughts on these questions in your post along with the aforementioned required review and perhap some information about the beer and/or brewery, and/or some insight into what’s going on in your life. Pull up a chair to this back corner of the virtual bar where we’re doing a pseudo-bottle share and let’s talk about that new beer in your glass. The floor is yours...

dcotom, IDABEERGUY, kemoarps and 48 others like this.
  2. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,803) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Yes, I held off on this one . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Score 3.77
    look: 4 | aroma: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A really beautiful deep amber rose gold color with off white cap and lacing.

Rich caramely malt aroma with a definite piney hop hit.

Taste is puzzling. It's as if the committee had a tie vote on whether to go with a rich marzen style or a West Coast hop forward brew. What they came up with is a juxtaposition of the two that doesn't really come together. I think it would work better as a Pale Ale rather than an amber. On entry it's richly caramely malty with a hard, bitter hop layer on top. The two flavors are distinctly separate as if you could run a knife through it and slice the hops off the top. They don't combine, don't meld, rather run side by side as if competing to see who can get to the finish line first. A heavy, overweight, clumsy brew similar to a large right guard that gets knocked tits over sunday by a smaller but more agile opposing tackle. That's it, the two flavors from start to finish. I do get a surprising nuttiness in the aftertaste.

Full texture with balancing carbonation.

A screw off cap really doesn't announce craft but I will say it's a good try and hope it succeeds because that might encourage Bud to come out with more along this line.

meefmoff, dcotom, bl00 and 64 others like this.
  3. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,099) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Great start there, Mr. Giant.

For me one new beer a week is plenty, I do always enjoy to try them but I am not a collector type of ticker. I guess I try new beers hoping to find new tastes and examples that I like as well or better than those I already enjoy. For instance, y'day at a bottle share I tasted a crowler from The Answer brewpub that was a new taste for me that was my favorite part of the share, a fruited gose with habanero.that was amazing. The other kind of ticker was there too, taking pics of every can and bottle.

Will be back with a new beer a bit later to join y'all.

4. cjgiant

Society

Hmmm... I feel unlucky that this wasn’t on the menu (or silly for overlooking it if it was) either of the two recent weekends we stopped by the brewpub. I’m curious if it was one of their “popsicle” variants. Best I can tell, the popsicles are near slushy-like in consistency perhaps due to what I believe is a decent dose of fruit purée as a part of the ingredients (some were quite tasty and melted-popsicle reminiscent). One of those with habanero would definitely be interesting.

5. cavedave

Society Trader

It was quite thick, bright fruit flavors, also some righteous tart to go with them, not overly thick, not overly sweet, nor salty, and a slow to crest wave of habanero that never goes over the top. I wish it had been one of the beers I was queueing up to purchase.

2beerdogs, VABA, Premo88 and 3 others like this.
  6. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (5,629) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society

As always, a great beginning to NBS @cjgiant.
    In my house, there's no such thing as an extra hour of sleep The dogs wake at their usual time and I get up to feed and walk them.
    I hope people are starting to think about NBS #666. I am having a beast of a time coming up with ideas, but I promise you there will be some revelations. Looking forward to the challenge.

My new beer for today is Monstrosus, from Southern Tier's Barrel House Series. It is a beast at 14.7% ABV.
    It is pitch black with just a thin film of a head.
    Nice aroma. A lot of booze, some sweet chocolate, and some vanilla.
    Bourbon taste up front, followed by sweet chocolate and vanilla.
    Very smooth and easy to drink. The alcohol is complimentary and not dominating.
    A great beer! For you bourbon barrel aged RIS aficionados, this is the beer for you.

[​IMG]

meefmoff, dcotom, strohme2 and 61 others like this.
  7. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (4,314) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

I've enjoyed meeting two of the brewers and drinking a few of their beers the last couple of days, so something new to me - "Sultana", a 7.2% stout (Negra Premium) from Cervezas Califa, one of the local breweries here in Cordoba, Spain:

Pours black with ruby see through on the edges; fairly quick tan cap that leaves behind loose bubbles of foam, a solid ring, and moderate lacing; good clarity. 3.75

A whiff of chocolate and roast malt. 4.0

Roasted malt and coffee beans; bittersweet dark chocolate; lite earthy hop presence as it warms; slightly lactic finish. 4.25

Medium lite feel; thin texture; moderate carbonation. 3.75

Overall it drinks and looks more like a porter; I like the subtle chocolate and coffee notes, and the bitter roast linger; an enjoyable middle of the alcohol road "Stout". 4.0 Cheers!

meefmoff, dcotom, IDABEERGUY and 52 others like this.
  8. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Good morning you all and Happy New Beer Sunday! Me trying to get up steam this week has been like trying to push jello up a hill. Today i have Genesee Coffee Stout

Opaque and almost completely black except for faint edges of color. Creamy chocolate colored head falls well and clings in sheets, spots and streaks. The nose is the the light scent of cocoa and dark roasted coffee. A hint of caramel at first that becomes sumptuously nutty as it warms. No real hop scents except for a sweet touch of earth. Drinks smooth and dry with moderate bubble. It's a touch soft int eh middle and does linger a bit long and creamy. I would call it full. The hops finish it well with a clean bitterness. The malt has a touch of roasty flavor but nothing to burnt or smoky. No fruit flavors. It reminds me of guinness except for that ribbon fo caramel and a soft peppery spice.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Cheers BA and Happy New Month of Dark Beer Sundays!

meefmoff, dcotom, IDABEERGUY and 57 others like this.
  9. Peekaboolu

Peekaboolu Initiate (0) May 24, 2016 Germany

Happy New Beer Sunday everyone! I have indeed waited for Sunday to enjoy a beer that I picked up during the week because of this thread. Personally I enjoy how it is a once a week thing, it's just another reason to look forward to Sunday. Now on to the beer.... Today I am drinking a Spezial-Weißbier from Brauerei Karg. I'm not necessarily sure what makes it a special Weißbier but it may have to do with special types of hops they are using. In any case it came recommended to me from the owner of a bottle shop that I frequent so I'm excited to try it:

[​IMG]

The apperance is a very hazy, dark orange/light brown color with an off-white, cola colored head.

The aroma was noticeable as soon as I opened the bottle. It has an intense aroma of citrus fruits, bananas, cloves, yeast and some hops.

The taste is citrus-y up front with some slight sourness that is balanced about by tastes of bananas and a cream flavor from the yeast. There is also a slight bitterness to the beer.

The mouthfeel is quite thick and there is a lot of yeast in the glass.

Overall it's one of the most intense Weißbiers that I have had in terms of flavor and aroma. Everything that is usually in a Weißbier is in this beer, just amplified. There is also a noticeable hop presence that is missing from some Weißbiers and it's quite enjoyable. I'm glad to have been able to try this beer today and hope everyone else is able to try a new beer on this fine Sunday!

meefmoff, dcotom, 2beerdogs and 58 others like this.
  10. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Mornin' all.

While I'll not be back until later with a new beer to talk about, I couldn't resist sipping some coffee and replying to the question posed by @cjgiant (AKA to some as "The Gentle Giant").

I enjoy NBS simply because of two factors. First is that I motivate my self to try at least one new beer a week and read some things others have said about their new beers .

But just as important, if not more so, people in this thread are always more interested in sharing with us information about the beers they are trying than they are in scoring debate points, expressing "hate" of something or displaying beer snobbery about what other people enjoy and choose to drink.

See you this evening with some thoughts about what looks like it might be an interesting spiced beer.

Cheers, all!

11. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (6,629) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

[​IMG] Pours a very attractive near pitch black with a 3 finger absolutely gorgeous mocha head that has incredible retention as it slowly settles into a thin ring of bubbles that hugs the sides of the glass and leaves behind some spotty lace. 4.75[​IMG] Smell is roasty expresso, vanilla, Ameretto, truffle, cocoa nibs, and a hint and mean a hint of warming alcohol. 4.75

Taste follows the nose sting roasty coffee just grabs your tongue, vanilla, hazelnut, truffles, rich dark chocolate, and just a little hint of alcohol. 5

Mouthfeel is almost large, gentle carbonation as you would expect, not really dry and that is surprising for this style, and the drinkability is staggering considering this beast clocks in at 12% ABV. 5

Overall this is without a question one of the most amazingly satisfying Imperial Stouts I have ever had. Really I am actually nearly speechless and I am already almost done and I have been trying to nurse it, but every taste nearly curles my toes. If you see this break the bank and get it. 4.75

12. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (3,298) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Good morning NBS
    In answer to @cjgiant's question, I always make sure to have a new beer in the fridge for Sunday. There are no carry out sales in Indiana on Sunday so it's important to plan ahead.
    Tried one from the Winter Classics box early this morning.
    [​IMG]
    The review:
    12oz bottle bb April 2018 poured into a perfect pint glass at fridge temp 5.5% ABV 25 IBU. The beer pours dense black with mocha brown head. Retention and lacing are above average. Aroma is almost nothing at fridge temp. It starts to give a little roast malt smell as it warms. The taste is roasty yet smooth. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, adequately carbonated and undry in the finish. Overall, a good oatmeal stout, but nothing to go crazy for. This might be the most absolutely average beer to style I've ever had.

It's been too long since I've had a Samuel Smith oatmeal stout to compare, but this SA version was really uninspired. Enjoy the new beer in your glass today BA!

13. cjgiant

Society

That description does sound very much like the beers of which I was speaking. Feelings of "unfortunate" just shifted to "jealous." :slight_smile:

Haha! I have, at various times, thought to look ahead to places I visit to determine their Sunday ABC laws. I've also been bitten when I forgot to check.

kemoarps, Premo88, woemad and 7 others like this.
  14. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (4,910) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Good morning New BSers! Well, it's a damp 70 degrees here in the New Braunfels, TX, area yet again! @cjgiant, thanks once again for an excellent start to NBS. Assuming the WBAYDN thread has started when I have my daily New Breakfast Beer, then I usually post it as such, without posting the review in the thread. This trip, however, ennui has prevented me from posting in WBAYDN at all - just doing the reviews. I like to try new local brews when I travel - you'd be surprised how many servers in restaurants think Sam Adams seasonal is a local brew! However, today's NBS offering:

(This photo is of the fourth bottle from the four-pack, never hit the reefer after making it to the house - the only one with ANY head!)

$ 12.79 (Including tax)/four pack of 12 oz bottles ($ 0.266/oz) at Spec’s, DeZavala Road, San Antonio, TX.
    Best by 09/20/18 (I think). Stored in cooler in store, in 42 degree reefer at house. Poured at 42 degrees into a hand washed and dried Jester King snifter and consumed at 55 – 60 degrees, per bottle instructions.
    Aroma – Roasted malt, generic dark fruit.
    Head – None. An aggressive pour produces no head per se but does produce a three to four mm light brown ring fed by effervescence and a puny partial layer resembling a coral atoll.
    Lacing – None.
    Body – Dark brown/black, opaque, effervescent.
    Flavor – Begins bitter with some harsh alcohol taste. The advertised dark fruit ghosts by, leaving an oily stain on my taste buds. No licorice noted. No hops, no diacetyl. Ends with an oily aftertaste with an unfortunately long hang time.
    Palate – Medium, almost creamy, very soft carbonation.
    Impression: This is the third bottle from the four-pack and I have yet to see a nitro head or any head at all. To read the date on the shoulder you need to get just the right angle of reflected light and then it’s so small it’s barely legible. This is not a very good RIS, IMHO, but at least it’s cheap. I bought it because another customer searching the beer aisles recommended it. Maybe his four pack was better than mine. Four and done.

Appearance 3.5, Aroma 4, Flavor 3.5, Palate 4.25, Overall 3.5. Rating 3.7, rDev -8.6%.

In general, Left Hand has been rather hit or miss for me; consequently, I don't buy their beer, but since this came highly recommended by a total stranger ...

15. woodychandler

woodychandler Poo-Bah (12,533) Apr 9, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Happy New Coup de Boule(vard) Beer Sunday (Week 663)!

I have to cop to being a bit of a collector ticker, hence the Bottle Backlog here at Chez Woody, but I would still prefer to keep things to once a week. Just my $0.02. Plus, I like taking pictures of my beers since it creates even more of a memory.

As to memory, my title this week is a pun. Who'da guessed! In French, a Coup de Boule is a headbutt and while I had four years of high school French & got a LOT more fluent as a plankowner aboard the USS Normandy (CG-60), making many port calls in France, I had not heard the term before 2006. I was in St. Louis, MO, at the downtown Schlafly brewpub, watching the World Cup Finals with a group of regulars when Zinedine Zidane of France lets loose with one & the announcer forgot his English & used that term! Ha.

I was also present at a Press fete in PHL a few (?) years ago when Boulevard BC of KC, MO made their distro debut. I was SO excited & my excitement has not waned, but I have a number of their bottles chilled & ready to go for today. So many, in fact, that I may feel like someone has done a coup de Boule(vard) on me!

It began with:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/423/183991/?ba=woodychandler#review
    [​IMG]

& as such, I am off & running! I'll be back later to update you with my progress.

16. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (3,855) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Moderator Society Trader

Thanks to @cjgiant for the really nice opening remarks. I always enjoy bringing a new beer to the NBS to see what others are trying for the first time and to share my thoughts on a new brew. Sometimes it's something I found a few days prior, but other times it's something I have been saving for an NBS for quite some time. I am always impressed by the insight and beautiful descriptions from fellow BA's.

Today I am trying something new from a great Canadian brewery. I am Canadian, although not from Quebec. I have often enjoyed breweries from Quebec, including Dieu du Ciel! and Unibroue. This one for today is a really special release from Le Trou du diable. I actually found this in Germany, which is really exciting. This is La Bretteuse, a wild ale. The description is an IPA aged at length in Pinot noir and Zinfandel barrels.

This was bottled on January 11th 2017. Poured from fridge temp, but allowed to warm over an hour. The cap had a little plastic stopper attached to it, which I hadn't seen before. There was quite a bit of pressure under the cap - a bit of head started flowing out of the bottle. I poured quickly. It pours a beautiful murky orange with a good amount of light head. The aroma is gorgeous. It's bustling with citrus notes - lots of lemon, grapefruit and orange. Super smooth - not really getting any bitter notes on the nose. Also getting some nice vanilla and spice. Getting some slight pine, but not really coming across as hoppy. Some nice funk - maybe a bit of leather. A little bit of bark and yams as well.

Taste is really interesting. Not really hoppy - mostly sweet coming through initially with some bitterness coming through on the back end. Here is where the grapes are coming through. Really nice red grapes - a lot of peel. I feel like the bitterness is from the wine barrels. Definitely some good citrus, but more citrus peel on the taste. Vanilla and oak is layered in there. Really impressive beer, with a nice mouthfeel. Dry and medium bodied. Coats the mouth nicely, and the aftertaste lingers for a while. Alcohol not really evident.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I enjoyed this week, and I look forward to visiting NBS again in 7 days. I am already thinking about which beer to crack for that one...

Cheers all!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (5,977) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia
    Society

[​IMG]

A: Pours a clear light yellowish with a nice head, a good amount of lacing.

A: Hints of citrus and hops.

T: A pleasant taste of citrus and hops.

M: A light bodied session with a good amount of carbonation.

O: A nice solid session IPA.

18. cjgiant

Society

Ok, for my first new beer, I am having one I did not intend on holding until today. But last night after dinner and a late Friday, I sort of ran into that invisible wall that finds us all from time to time. I did not verify the growler filling technique at Solace Brewing, but they seem to follow Ocelot in many ways and if they do in growler filling, there may be a little gas protecting this beer from an overnight stay in the fridge. Then again, it's just a night - we should be okay.

Funny thing with this beer called She Made Me is that it was listed as a "common" beer on the board at the brewery. The tag, you will see, has it listed as a lager. I assume by the way "common" was used, they mean the used the techniques for a California Common beer, which involve using lager yeasts ("bottom fermenting") at warmer temperatures that ale yeasts ("top fermenting") tend to enjoy. Lagering has also been described more as a technique than specific to the yeast itself. Not sure exactly how Solace feels about these terms given the ambiguity in their labeling.

[​IMG]
    Oh, did I forget to mention, it's also a pumpkin [spice] beer! I grabbed an Alewerks pumpkin ale (specifically) as our sips of the Solace beer at the brewery yesterday reminded me of it. Let's see how [in]correct my perceptions were.

Solace's She Made Me pours darker than Alewerks, I'd say it's dang near a brown ale - at least a very dark amber. There wasn't as much of a "psst" as I'd hoped when I opened the growler, but there was a fair flurry of bubbles that came to the surface. So this isn't flat, but I have the impression it's also not necessarily 100% representative of a fresh pour. A thin ring lasts.

Nose has a typical pumpkin beer nose - and one that isn't heavily reliant on the spices. There's a malty sweetness, a light tang of pumpkin and restrained pie spices. The Alewerks beer does seem to rely a little more on the spices and has a stronger smell overall (despite it being what I presume is at least a few weeks to a month older). It's also a tad bit sweeter smelling.

The feel of the Solace beer is not very effervescent, but is not flat at all. Again, I can't claim to be having this in it's best state. There's a light tickling, tongue encompassing carbonation to this medium to slightly less bodied beer. Alewerks actually has a similar feel, with just a little more vigor to the bubbles and a more solid medium body.

She Made Me takes all the aspects that are in the nose and brings them subtly to the taste. This is a pumpkin ale that seems to me to lean on being a beer first - which might work for many of you than aren't pumpkin beer fans. It comes to me as an amber beer first, with a clean flavor, that then gets a little pumpkin and earthy spice layered on top of it. The Alewerks beer actually starts with a little tang leaning slightly towards tart (which I assume is the gourd's influence). The spices aren't overpowering in this beer either, but do have more influence than the Solace offering.

Overall, I do see why I put these two beers in parallel. They aren't clones of each other, at all, but both have integrated the pumpkin pie nicely into the beer. If you really enjoy big, bold spice, I'd stray from the Solace - and might only get a taster of the Alewerks. If you want a lighter touch of pumpkin and have a chance, give the Solace a try, To quote the GF, "I like the Alewerks better, it tastes more pumpkiny. The other tastes a little pumpkiny, but I like the one with more."

19. cjgiant

Society

Haha!! Just to make it clear, there is no push to change up the number of days for NBS - my quip was meant to describe a mentality, not a proposal to change the procedural nature of this thread. Amongst the numerous reasons for no changes is that I wouldn't wish the "extra work" on @lordofthewiens and I. :grinning:

20. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (5,977) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia
    Society

[​IMG]
    A: Pours a hazy yellow-orange color with no nice head and no lacing.

A: Fruity and spicy hints.

T: A nice pleasant fruity and spicy taste.

M: Light bodied with little carbonation but a pleasant character..

O: A nice decent lager.

21. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

[​IMG]
    Elysian Night Owl Pumpkin Ale
    6.7% ABV

I am holding onto a bomber of a beer that I am extremely eager to try, but it’s almost or is 10% ABV and I don’t want to get wrecked today on my last day of vacay, so I’ll save it for another time. I did hold onto this pumpkin ale all weekend for today’s festivities, and I’m always eager to try a new pumpkin ale, I haven’t tired of them yet.

4.06/5 rDev +2.8%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured into a Irish-style pint glass.

Look: A body of cinnamon-amber hues, not unlike a rusty burnt orange. The head is tan colored and recedes to a patchy, bubbly thin film. Lacing is small random lines or spots.

Aroma: Cinnamon-heavy with a very true canned pumpkin pie filling aroma that also has notes of whipped topping. It smells sweet, spicy, and delicious.

Taste: For all the aroma offers, the taste is a little more straight to the point with a lot of cinnamon spice, and not a lot else (you can tell there is no earthy pumpkin meat in it). The pumpkin flavors are reduced to the general pumpkin pie spiciness. There is a tangy, slightly bitter finish not unlike a lot of pumpkin ales.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, slightly dry.
    Heats up a bit as it warms.

Overall: If the mouthfeel could be a touch creamier and the taste mimic the aroma, thus would be a smash hit with me. As it is, I still like it because of the cinnamon-heavy nature of it.

22. woodychandler

woodychandler Poo-Bah (12,533) Apr 9, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

PLUS, the Bros. might not go for it.

23. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (7,334) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

Nice start for NBS @cjgiant. Will be back with a new brew, should have drank it last NBS.:slight_smile:

Cheers!

Premo88, VABA, smanson56 and 3 others like this.
  24. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,758) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Yuck! You actually like spiced beer? :nauseated_face:
    :wink:

VABA, smanson56 and Premo88 like this.
  25. cavedave

Society Trader

Funny, had the first pumpkin beer that I really liked, a BA version from Bottle Logic.

You put my usual problem with them perfectly when you said, "The pumpkin flavors are reduced to the general pumpkin pie spiciness."

2beerdogs, mikeinportc, VABA and 5 others like this.
  26. Mindsculptor

Mindsculptor Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2013 Texas

From last night's share. Not pictured are Hoptotem and World Wide Stout.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. zid

Society Trader

Big thanks and curses to you. I am now going to try to seek this one out even though I'm also trying hard to reduce beer purchases right now. :slight_smile:

Premo88, VABA and smanson56 like this.
  28. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (5,436) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Cloudy, grey, and cool football Sunday getting kicked off with this entry in Firestone Walker's Leo v. Ursus series, Inferos, an imperial rye IPA coming in at 8.2% abv...
    [​IMG]
    Presents aromas of dark, dank citrus and spice with earthy, herbal pine undercurrents... Flavors follow suit, with rye character apparent up front, providing spicy and sharp notes in the sea of mulled citrus and sweet resin... Husky body, medium-weight with a bit of chew muting the carbonation somewhat on the tongue - perhaps a bit too heavy in feel, but I did enjoy the tingle of rye... Didn't know this was a rye DIPA when I purchased a couple of cans - I'm not often partial to rye beers, and while this was no exception, it was hard not to appreciate the merits of a well-made beer... 10/20/17 canning...
    [​IMG]
    Here's to new beer in your glass, cheers...

Ozzylizard, meefmoff, zid and 53 others like this.
  29. cjgiant

Society

Welcome. The intent of this thread is to discuss the aspects of the beers you are trying for the first time, not just to indicate what was tried. We'd love for you to join us, but ask that you please join in with the requested review of the beers you are trying for the first time. Thank you.

meefmoff, strohme2, LeRose and 17 others like this.
  30. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (2,140) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

Howdy, NBSers!

Our so-called cold snap last week in the Brazos Valley turned into a heat wave, and only my bougainvilleas are enjoying it. I made the quick road trip over to Huntsville yesterday before work to see the first half of my Sam Houston State Bearkats sharpening their claws against poor little Incarnate Word, and it felt like August. So hot.

But I digress ...

Actually, I'll digress again and say in 2017 I would not like a New Beer Sunday seven days a week. I mean, of course I'd absolutely love it, but by New Beer Monday or New Beer Tuesday I'd be out most weeks. In 2012 when I got back into beer I could've made it to Friday or Saturday; every beer-buying trip was a wild new adventure then and I constantly filled my fridge with new beer. But five years later — and 650-plus reviews later — my fridge is typically 70-90% full of beer I've already had. In fact, NBS arguably is even more important to me now, because it encourages me to seek out new stuff and continue the journey into the great beer unknown.

Did somebody say something about spiced beer? Right on time:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Martin House's Cuvee Pumpkin Spice Latte, a pumpkin ale with coffee

It's full of spice. No doubts there. The can and the word "latte" had me thinking it would be more stout than anything, but it's obviously a pumpkin ale first and foremost as you can see (sometimes I read what I want, not what's there:rolling_eyes::crazy_face::stuck_out_tongue:). It's also super nutmegged/gingerred up, so spicy, but the base pumpkin ale flavor comes through nicely, and at the end of each sip the flavor is exactly like eating the soft gooey bottom crust of some pumpkin pie with the pie crust dough, some pumpkin filling and a little bit of whipped cream combining for a sweet treat. It's a fleeting note, but it's super tasty.

The review:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/31272/249506/?ba=Premo88#review
    3.69 (+3.4% rDev)

Not a big number, but these pumpkin ales ... they're not easy to score IMHO.

Sam Houston State, needless to say, had no trouble beating Incarnate Word yesterday. Talking to the school's sports information director (went to school with him) and the athletic director (worked for him while at school) on the sideline, we reached a consensus opinion: Our biggest problem will be staying interested before the FCS playoffs begin. I had to bail at halftime with SHSU up 36-14. We won 57-20.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The halftime scoreboard:
    [​IMG]
    Hope your alma mater won this week, and if not, have another beer. Make it a new one! :wink:

Cheers, NBSers!

#30 Premo88, Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  31. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,270) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

That is some good writing. Truly visual images!

32. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Poo-Bah (2,888) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Happy Sunday, NBS crew! I personally stockpile as many new beers as I can for Sundays, as discussing beer with you all has become a pleasing part of my Sunday routine. I only started reviewing this year, and this thread gives me a good excuse to practice. I actually have 6 new brews saved up for today! We will see if I get to all of them.

Starting with this one:

Veil - Lord Lord Shredder Shredder
    Double Blood Orange ddh ipa - 6.3% abv
    Canned 10/16/17 (20 days ago)
    Score: 4.02 (-5.2% rDev)

[​IMG]

L - 2-finger offwhite head recedes fully in 2 minutes, leaving behind gobs of sticky lacing. Body is murky orange, just like most Veil ipas.

S - blood oranges are very prominent. Candied citrus. Slight bit of booze.

T - orange sweetness on the front. This is way sweeter than most Veil ipas. A slight sour tang in the middle. Some dirt. Ends with a very low bitterness.

F - medium body and carb. Very dry.

O - Not getting much of that classic Veil ddh taste here. The hops are hidden behind the orange sweetness. I prefer the other Shredders greatly over this one.

33. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,803) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Thanks, wish I could take credit for the photos but with deteriorated eyesight I can no longer use a camera. Can still make out color pretty well if I hold the glass carefully against the light and seek out stock photos (usually from the brewer's web site, with their permission) that reflect what I'm seeing.

The words are mine though.

2beerdogs, LeRose, bret717 and 11 others like this.
  34. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

:sunglasses:

Now where did I say I liked spiced beer???

Seriously though, I deal with my beers as I deal with people. Evaluating their strengths and their weaknesses on an individual case by case basis and then deciding whether there is any point to continuing a further relationship when I look at my own strengths and weaknesses.

35. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (3,855) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Moderator Society Trader

In addition, the NBS thread should probably only include beers consumed on Sunday.

strohme2, bret717, russpowell and 9 others like this.
  36. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (4,314) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

From my visit to a true microbrewery last Saturday, La Jerezana:

In the heart of the old town, Jerez de la Frontera, the brewmaster/owner brews and bottles small batches of 11 styles of beer, 5 gallons or less at a time:

Today's new beer is "ME" a sour beer aged/fermented in a cask that previously held Sherry made from Muscatel grapes, for 2 months, then bottled on Feb. 2, 2016 to condition, per the owner Jaime:

Pours an orange amber (12+) with a tiny white head;

https://imgur.com/a/JaICI

Not quite opaque, with a thin incomplete ring; spotty lace at best. 3.5

https://imgur.com/a/cogWo

Grape must and sweet Sherry nose. 4.0

Soft sour fruit notes from the wild yeast in the cask; white grapes; a bit of bitterness from the Sherry. 4.25

Dry clean crisp feel from the oak cask; lite carbonation. 4.0

Overall, a softer lighter beer than say a similar wine barrel aged sour from Firestone Walker; well balanced and a pleasure to drink; notes of grape and Sherry set the tone from start to finish. 4.0

A welcome change of pace from the corporate lagers I now drink on a daily basis. Cheers and have a great Sunday, we are headed back into town for dinner.

37. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (6,629) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

[​IMG] Poured ice cold, not sure when it was canned and 7% ABV Belgian Style Double Wit. Pours a hazy dark yellow, with a 2 plus finger sticky white head that leaves some attractive streaks of lace. 4.25

Smell is clove, coriander, candied sugar, banana, bubble gum, and some orange peel. 4

Taste follows a huge shot of clove, coriander, banana, orange, caramel, and a hint of fig. 4

Mouthfeel is on the big side, plenty of life, not really dry, and drinks very easy. 4

Overall this is not my normal style, but this actually very nice. It isn't really a Belgian IPA, but the mouthfeel reminds of it. Very surprised how much I enjoyed it. 4

38. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (5,436) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

3 Stars' Pounding Trees DIPA...
    [​IMG]
    Deep gold leaning toward amber, not quite clear; off-white head a few fingers high, and plenty of lacing left behind... tropical and muted citrus on the nose followed up with a rather unexciting flavor profile - the malts are fairly forward, adding a big body to the mild citrus and resins from the hops... I'd swear I'm picking up banana among the vague tropical impressions, and the citruses are dark and fleshy, but edged with something earthy and dull... Medium-full feel, low carbonation, moderately sweet and mildly bitter... A decent enough DIPA, but didn't do anything special for me...

Cheers...

39. zid

Society Trader

I assumed @rgordon was talking about the images your writing conjured in his head.

40. Ri0

Ri0 Poo-Bah (3,070) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society

Happy NBS. It's rather gloomy in Southern WI. Had to work yesterday and watched some of the NCAA football games. I'll be taking it easy today.

So it Happens Its Tuesday pours obsidian in color with very foamy 2 finger tan head that produces a stream of bubbles upward that maintains, leaving some lace on the glass. The aroma is so wonderful. So much cocoa and brownie batter. Hints of vanilla and bourbon with caramel and roasted malt. This is rich and decadent, sublime and mellow. The roasted malts in the stout have chocolate brownie, and waves of gooey caramel flavor. The barrel presence is divine with vanilla, bourbon, and marshmallow. Alcohol is not overbearing. Soft carbonation, full, velvety body make this a pleasure to sip.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.